Best Selenium Alternatives you should try:
Selenium is a convenient and portable software testing tool specifically used for testing web applications. It acts as an API (Application Program Interface) for browser automation. Selenium is the widely used free and open-source tool used for automation testing of web applications through various browsers and platforms.
Selenium is used for functional and regression testing of web applications. Selenium supports multiple programming and scripting languages like Java, Ruby, Perl, PHP and Python to code the logic behind the test scripts.
Features of Selenium:
Below mentioned are the features of Selenium tool:
- There is no licensing cost for Selenium users, as it is an open-source testing tool.
- Selenium is a cross-platform tool that supports cross-browser testing.
- Selenium users can perform tests on any operating system like Android, Windows, Mac, iOS, and Linux.
- Selenium can be used across various browsers like Safari, Chrome, IE, Mozilla, and Opera.
- To generate the reports and manage the test cases Selenium can be integrated with other frameworks like JUnit, TestNG and NUnit.
Drawbacks of Selenium:
There are few disadvantages of the Selenium automation testing tool.
- Using Selenium one can test only the web applications. It is not suitable to test desktop or mobile or any standalone applications.
- There is no consistent nominal and technical support from any team as it is an open-source tool.
- Tests of Selenium are unstable. If new versions of Selenium libraries are released to fix an issue then it may disturb or makes the earlier test unstable.
- Due to its low-level API, the Test maintenance in Selenium is a struggle. It doesn’t help or assist the developer to deal with the error capturing, page screenshots and element locators.
- Even though Selenium supports its users to run parallel tests on multiple machines, that set up needs quite a bit additional knowledge without which it takes too long time to run the tests.
- Using Selenium one cannot execute testing on images.
What You Will Learn:
The Best Selenium Alternatives In 2020
Taking all the above-mentioned disadvantages into consideration we have researched the best alternatives and competitors for Selenium.
Here is the list:
- Katalon Studio
- Ghost Inspector
- Robot Framework
#1) Katalon Studio
Katalon Studio is a complete cross-platform test automation solution for Web, Mobile, API & Desktop app testing.
Built on top of Selenium and Appium frameworks, Katalon Studio revolutionizes the use of open-source test automation frameworks by eliminating the technical complexities, allowing testers to efficiently set up, create, run, report, and manage automated tests effectively.
- Quick Set-up: Katalon Studio provides a friendly UI that enables quick and easy test environment set-up. Testers can easily leverage Katalon Studio’s pre-built templates and test scripts.
- Ease of Use: With a short learning curve, Katalon Studio is suitable for testers with minimal coding skills. It has a ready-made framework, a built-in recorder, and predefined test methods, allowing users to get started without disruption.
- Flexible Modes: For the non-technical testers, the recording and keywords capabilities are useful to build up new test cases. For experienced testers with advanced needs, it provides a productive IDE to build tests with scripting methods.
- Multi Testing Environment: Katalon Studio supports cross-platform testing on almost all operating systems, as well as different web and mobile platforms.
- Seamless CI/CD Integration: Katalon supports native plugins for integrations with different purposes: SDLC and CI/CD management, team collaboration, and many more.
Subject7 is an automation platform providing end-to-end test automation capabilities through a series of commands. These commands are available via an easy-to-use web interface. Mimicking user actions, each command hides the complexities of industry-standard packages such as Selenium, Appium, SikuliX, JMeter, ZAP, and others.
- Easy to use web interface for non-coders.
- Integrates with JIRA, Jenkins, and REST capable DevOps pipeline.
- Zero setup and scales executions leveraging AWS, Azure, and Google clouds.
- Email notifications, video recordings, team collaboration, and more.
- Using open-source standards such as Selenium and Appium to drive web and mobile.
- Includes database, web services, SSH, etc.
Screenster is an ultimate visual regression testing tool for websites and web applications. It provides a cloud-based platform to perform UI (User Interface) automation testing. Screenster promises 10 times more productivity than other Selenium alternatives.
- Non-technical users become more productive by using Screenster and are able to produce better tests.
- Screenster is provided with few interesting features like automatic timeout management and auto-correcting smart selectors which are not available with Selenium.
- Each and every characteristic of a UI is covered with Screenster’s automatic Content Verification and Visual Baselines.
- Without any coding, the users can automate the UI test cases on a local server or on the cloud. Learning Curve of Screenster, when compared with Selenium, is smooth.
- Screenster has become special for UI automation testing because of its features like coded and codeless tests, parallel test execution, the baseline of UI state, Team portal for collaboration and self-healing tests.
- Free trial of Screenster is available for Self-Hosting for a month and Cloud Hosting Packages starts from $99 per month.
You can reach Screenster for further details on Screenster.
TestCraft is a cloud-based continuous test automation solution for testing and monitoring the web application functionality. TestCraft is used to get all the advantages of Selenium without any coding (Whenever a test scenario is created the code gets automatically generated).
- TestCraft is nothing but Selenium Automation Testing without Coding for web applications.
- One can adapt TestCraft easily into their testing because of its salient features like fast, supporting multi-platform, low-maintenance and DevOps-Friendly.
- If any changes are made to the web apps under testing, TestCraft automated tests are robust and adequate to repel breakage.
- TestCraft can re-bind and fix a broken test even during runtime. This reduces automation maintenance costs.
- TestCraft supports its users to run tests on multiple platforms and environments, simultaneously.
- TestCraft follows the agile automation testing process by providing detailed test reports of execution which include snapshots and videos of issues that are to be fixed.
For details on the free trial and other tool-related information, visit TestCraft.
Endtest is a solid and powerful UI testing platform that provides a varied range of operating systems, platforms, devices and browsers. Automation testing of web applications is done through Endtest without any coding.
- One can store and run their tests directly on the cloud infrastructure of the Endtest. With the help of this cloud platform, users can access their tests from anywhere.
- Endtest is packed with various features like Unlimited Video recordings, generating random test data, execution of java scripts, capturing and comparing screenshots and uploading files.
- Automated tests can be exported in different formats like .exe file or python file format and can be used to run on our own infrastructure.
- Using the activity section the users can easily track the latest changes made to the test suites.
- Users can access Endtest for free for a month. The pricing plans are $79 per month and $650 per year for 10 users.
Documentation and sign up information about Endtest can be accessed at Endtest.
Browsersync is a free and open-source tool used for web development and multi-browser testing with synchronized interactions.
- Browsersync is not reserved to a single device; it works on various mobile (iOS, Android, Windows Phone and Opera Mobile) and desktop browsers (Chrome, Opera, Firefox, Safari, and IE).
- Using Browsersync, one can make testing and tuning quicker by coordinating file changes and interactions through various devices.
- Browsersync can be integrated with build tools and task runners like Gulp and Grunt.
- Browsersync has many remarkable features like install and run anywhere, File sync, synchronized navigation, sync customization and compatible with build tools.
- Browsersync can test the website even on a slower internet connection.
- Without refreshing the .css file the changes get implemented.
Install Browsersync from Browsersync
The protractor is formally called an E2E (end-to-end) testing framework. It is an open-source automation framework designed explicitly for automation of AngularJS web applications.
- Protractor supports frameworks like Cucumber, Mocha, and Jasmine to write test suites as it is a wrapper of WebDriverJS.
- Protractor tests the application by interacting with it like a user.
- With the ‘Automatic Waiting’ feature of Protractor, the test automatically executes the next step without waiting for the webpage and test to sync.
Installation and setup of Protractor can be accessed from Protractor.
- Writing the test scripts and maintaining the code in CasperJS is very easy when compared with Selenium.
- Test execution time taken by CasperJS scripts is very less when compared with Selenium execution time.
- CasperJS has the capability of testing the functional navigation, page status, scraping data off the web page and monitoring the network traffic automatically.
- CasperJS provides very useful metrics about the test results and run-time.
- Due to the command line application in CasperJS, the tests get executed faster.
Access CasperJS for more information on the CasperJS tool.
#9) Ghost Inspector
Ghost Inspector is an automated testing and monitoring tool used for website testing (even a specific feature of a website), visual testing, UI testing, end-to-end testing, and browser testing.
- Using Ghost Inspector, users can execute the tests regularly from the cloud through a schedule.
- The new feature of Ghost Inspector is that the users can export their tests to other tools and can also import them back into Ghost Inspector.
- Few powerful features of Ghost Inspector that make it an alternative tool for Selenium are comparing the screenshots and email announcements, no coding, simple test editor, and the ability to run parallel tests.
- “Viewports” solution provided by Ghost Inspector is used to test the Responsive sites/design.
- Through Ghost Inspector one can easily manage and share the tests among the team members even in a large organization.
- Ghost Inspector offers a free trial for 30 days and the paid packages start from $71 per month.
For further information on Ghost Inspector tool, visit Ghost Inspector
Cypress is an open-source automation solution with rich features that support present development tools. And no configuration is needed to install Cypress.
- Using Cypress, the developer-driven unit tests can be easily linked with the tester-driven front-end tests with which the development and testing happen simultaneously.
- Cypress executes its commands inside the browser whereas Selenium does it outside the browser remotely.
- Cypress can be installed on Mac, Windows, and Linux operating systems.
- Cypress has many features over Selenium like reloading the changes in real-time, monitoring the test files automatically, built-in mocking, stubbing, and spies.
You can reach Cypress for further details on Cypress.
PhantomJS is an open-source, scriptable headless browser intended for automating webpage collaboration. It is also a powerful testing tool that supports various web standards and makes it appropriate for automation and integration with CI tools.
- PhantomJS is used by the development team for unit testing and smoke testing. It is used for monitoring, analyzing, networking and inspecting the network traffic.
- 1/3rd of the testing time is saved by using PhantomJS.
- PhantomJS works on Linux, OS X, Mac, Windows, etc.
- Using PhantomJS we can test web apps in headless browsers and real browsers.
- With PhantomJS, the users can execute multiple test cases in a record time period.
- There is no need for the users to integrate PhantomJS with a 3rd party service.
- PhantomJS works as a self-contained command-line application.
PhantomJS can be downloaded from PhantomJS.
#12) Robot Framework
Robot Framework is an open-source test automation framework used for acceptance test-driven development (ATDD) and acceptance testing. Robot Framework is standard and uses a keyword-driven testing approach and behavior-driven.
- Robot Framework is a package of 3rd party libraries, integration tools, solid functionalities, etc.
- Robot Framework is an automation framework that uses the external libraries whereas Selenium is a library.
- Originally Robot Framework is written in Python but the newest versions use Java as well.
- Robot Framework is a technology, application, platform, and Operating System independent.
- Features of Robot Framework which makes it a commanding framework are Generic test libraries, high-level architecture, separate test data editor, clear reports, detailed logs, etc.
- Robot Framework is much simpler than Selenium because the test scripts are in English words rather than code.
More information on this framework is available at Robot Framework.
Additional Alternative Tools For Selenium
TestNG is an open-source automated testing framework used for unit testing, integration testing, functional and end-to-end testing.
Important and influential features of TestNG over Selenium are flexible test configuration, powerful execution model, annotations, supports data-driven testing, multi-threading, etc. TestNG means Test Next Generation.
Watir means Web Application Testing In Ruby. Watir is an open-source Ruby library used for automation of web browsers.
Watir drives a wide range of browsers like Safari, IE, Firefox, Chrome etc in the same way as people do. It has a full-featured modern scripting language with which writing and maintaining test scripts have become easy.
TestComplete is an influential and tough automated tool for testing mobile, desktop and web applications. It can be integrated with open source tools like Selenium, Jenkins etc. TestComplete supports few name mapping functions and GUI features that are not available with Selenium.
TestingWhiz is a codeless Automation tool used for mobile, web, software, Databases, Cloud, API and Web Services testing. Automated test cases are created using data-driven, keyword-driven and object-based architecture.
TestingWhiz provides Visual Recorder to automate the testing of desktop-based applications, flash applications etc and supports cross-browser testing.
#18) Tricentis Tosca:
Tricentis Tosca is a user-friendly tool where the users can just scan the module to generate the code or scripts automatically. This tool supports all types of enterprise applications. Its advanced features and new methodologies increase productivity and reduce the project cost to the company.
#19) Coded UI Test (CUIT):
Coded UI tests are nothing but the automated tests that are used to drive the application through its User Interface (UI). It is mainly used to test the functionality of the whole application. Important features of CUIT are functional testing, rich extensibility, and generating code in VB or C #, resilient playback, and intent-aware recording.
#20) HP UFT:
HP UFT (Unified Functional Testing) which is now maintained by Micro Focus is called UFT One. It is a commercial and automation testing tool used to test web-based and desktop applications including the client-server applications.
It can be integrated with few test management tools like HP Quality Centre whereas it is not possible with Selenium. The time required to develop and maintain the test scripts is less when compared with Selenium.
#21) IBM RFT:
IBM RFT (Rational Functional Tester) is an automated testing tool used for regression and functional testing, data-driven testing, and GUI. It develops scripts using Java and .Net which requires programming experience. Powerful features of RFT are Storyboard Testing, data-driven testing, dynamic scripting, etc.
In this tutorial, we have listed the free and paid alternative tools for Selenium, their respective features & specifications, pricing details (if applicable), etc.
Based on the requirements of your project or assignment you can select a particular tool and make use of it.
Also check => HP UFT Alternatives