List and Comparison of the Best Vulnerability Analysis and Vulnerability Scanning Tools:
Vulnerability Assessment is also termed as Vulnerability Analysis.
The method of recognizing, categorizing and characterizing the security holes (called as Vulnerabilities) among the network infrastructure, computers, hardware system, and software, etc. is known as Vulnerability Analysis.
Few examples of such vulnerabilities are like a misconfiguration of components in network infrastructure, a defect or error in an operating system, any ambiguity in a marketable product, etc.
If vulnerabilities are found as a part of any vulnerability assessment then there is a need for vulnerability disclosure. Generally, such disclosures are carried out by separate teams like Computer Emergency Readiness Team (CERT) or the organization which has discovered the vulnerability.
The above-mentioned vulnerabilities become the main source for malicious activities like cracking the systems, LANs, websites, etc.
To evaluate or assess the security of any network the following six steps has to be focused,
- Spot and realize the approach of your industry or company like how it is structured and managed.
- Trace the systems, data, and applications that are exercised throughout the practice of the business.
- Investigate the unseen data sources which can permit simple entry to the protected information.
- Classify both the physical and virtual servers that run the necessary business applications.
- Tracking all the existing security measures which are already implemented.
- Inspect the network for any vulnerability.
Here is the list of the best vulnerability scanning tools:
Recommended Vulnerability scanner:
- ManageEngine Vulnerability Manager Plus
- Nexpose Community
- Tripwire IP360
- Nessus Professional
- Retina CS Community
- Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer
- Secunia Personal Software Inspector
What You Will Learn:
- Best Vulnerability Assessment Tools
- #1) Netsparker
- #2) Acunetix
- #3) Intruder
- #4) Probely
- #5) AppTrana
- #6) ManageEngine Vulnerability Manager Plus
- #7) OpenVAS
- #8) Nexpose Community
- #9) Nikto
- #10) Tripwire IP360
- #11) Wireshark
- #12) Aircrack
- #13) Nessus Professional
- #14) Retina CS Community
- #15) Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (MBSA)
- #16) Secunia Personal Software Inspector
- Additional Vulnerability Assessment Scanning Tools
- Recommended Reading
Best Vulnerability Assessment Tools
Here we go!
Netsparker is a dead accurate automated scanner that will identify vulnerabilities such as SQL Injection and Cross-site Scripting in web applications and web APIs.
Netsparker uniquely verifies the identified vulnerabilities proving they are real and not false positives. Therefore you do not have to waste hours manually verifying the identified vulnerabilities once a scan is finished. It is available as a Windows software and as online service.
Acunetix is a fully automated web vulnerability scanner that detects and reports on over 4500 web application vulnerabilities including all variants of SQL Injection and XSS.
It bakes in advanced Vulnerability Management features right-into its core, prioritizing risks based on data through a single, consolidated view, and integrating the scanner’s results into other tools and platforms.
Intruder is a proactive vulnerability scanner that scans you as soon as new vulnerabilities are released. In addition, it has over 10,000 historic security checks, including for WannaCry, Heartbleed and SQL Injection.
Integrations with Slack and Jira help notify development teams when newly discovered issues need fixing, and AWS integration means you can synchronize your IP addresses to scan.
The Intruder is popular with startups and medium-sized businesses as it makes vulnerability management easier for small teams.
Probely scans your Web Applications to find vulnerabilities or security issues and provides guidance on how to fix them, having Developers in mind.
Probely not only features a sleek and intuitive interface but also follows an API-First development approach, providing all features through an API. This allows Probely to be integrated into Continuous Integration pipelines in order to automate security testing.
Probely covers OWASP TOP10 and thousands of more vulnerabilities. It can also be used to check specific PCI-DSS, ISO27001, HIPAA and GDPR requirements.
Company Name: Indusface
AppTrana: Indusface WAS is an automated web application vulnerability scanner that detects and reports vulnerabilities based on OWASP top 10.
The company is headquartered in India with offices in Bengaluru, Vadodara, Mumbai, Delhi, and San Francisco and their services are used by 1100+ customers across 25+ countries globally.
- New age crawler to scan single page applications.
- Pause and resume feature
- Additional Manual Penetration testing and publish the report in the same dashboard
- Proof of concept request to provide evidence of reported vulnerability and eliminate false positive
- Optional integration with the Indusface WAF to provide instant virtual patching with Zero False positive
- Ability to automatically expand crawl coverage based on real traffic data from the WAF systems (in case WAF is subscribed and used)
- 24×7 support to discuss remediation guidelines and POC
- Free trial with a comprehensive single scan and no credit card required
#6) ManageEngine Vulnerability Manager Plus
Vulnerability Manager Plus is an on-premise threat and vulnerability management solution that empowers IT administrators and security teams with an integrated console to secure to systems and servers across local and remote offices, roaming devices as well as closed network (DMZ) machines.
With Vulnerability Manager Plus, you can:
- Continuously monitor your network for existing and emerging vulnerabilities.
- Prioritize vulnerabilities that are more likely to be exploited with a vulnerability assessment.
- Audit antivirus and firewall protection, and get rid of open shares, unauthorized users, weak passwords, legacy protocols, and other misconfigurations, with Security Configuration Management.
- Customize and automate patching for Windows, macOS, Linux, and over 250 third-party applications with built-in Patch Management.
- Safeguard your internet-facing servers from many attack variants, like XSS, clickjacking, and brute-force attacks, with Web Server Hardening.
- Detect and eliminate unauthorized and unsupported software in your network.
Vulnerability Manager Plus is an easy-to-implement, remotely deployable agent-based software with an intuitive UI that doesn't demand skilled professionals or extensive training.
From the name itself, we can come to the conclusion that this tool is an open source tool. OpenVAS serves as a central service that provides tools for both vulnerability scanning and vulnerability management.
- OpenVAS services are free of cost and are generally licensed under GNU General Public License (GPL)
- OpenVAS supports various operating systems
- The scan engine of OpenVAS is updated with the Network Vulnerability Tests on a regular basis
- OpenVAS scanner is a complete vulnerability assessment tool that is used to spot issues related to security in the servers and other devices of the network
You can visit the official website from here and download this tool.
#8) Nexpose Community
Nexpose vulnerability scanner which is an open source tool is developed by Rapid7 is used to scan the vulnerabilities and perform various network checks.
- Nexpose is used to monitor the exposure of vulnerabilities in real-time, familiarize itself to new hazards with fresh data
- Generally, most of the vulnerability scanners categorize the risks using a high or medium or low scale
- Nexpose considers the age of the vulnerability like which malware kit is used in it, what advantages are used by it etc. and fix the issue based on its priority
- Nexpose automatically detects and scans the new devices and assess the vulnerabilities when they access the network
- Nexpose can be integrated with a Metaspoilt framework
Free trial of this tool is available here
Nikto is a very admired and open source web scanner used to assess the probable issues and vulnerabilities.
- Nikto is used to carry out wide-ranging tests on web servers to scan various items like few hazardous programs or files
- Nikto is also used to verify the server version’s whether they are outdated, and also checks for any specific problem that affects the server’s functioning
- Nikto is used to scan various protocols like HTTP, HTTPS, HTTPd etc. Using this tool one can scan multiple ports of a particular server
- Nikto is not considered as a quiet tool. It is used to test a web server in the least possible time
To learn more about this tool, you can visit the official website from here.
#10) Tripwire IP360
Tripwire Inc is an IT Security Company famous for its security configuration management products. Tripwire IP360 is its main vulnerability management product.
- Tripwire IP360 is the world’s foremost vulnerability assessment solution that is used by various agencies and enterprises to administrate their security risks
- Using the open standards, tripwire IP360 enables the integration of risk management and vulnerability into multiple processes of the business
- Tripwire IP360 offers low bandwidth solution, non-disturbing, and agentless network profiling
- Using a wide-ranging view of networks, tripwire IP360 notices all the vulnerabilities, applications, configurations, network hosts etc.
Visit Tripwire website from here for further details on pricing and other information.
Wireshark is the world’s leading and extensively used network protocol analyzer.
- Wireshark is used across various streams like educational institutions, government agencies, and enterprises to look into the networks at a microscopic level
- Wireshark has a special feature like it captures the issues online and performs the analysis offline
- Wireshark runs on various platforms like Windows, Linux, Mac, and Solaris.
- Wireshark has the capability of deeply inspecting many protocols
- Among the security practitioners toolkit, Wireshark is the most powerful tool
For downloading and further queries or information on this tool, access from here.
Aircrack is also called as Aircrack-NG which is a set of tools used to assess the WiFi network security.
- Aircrack focuses on various areas of WiFi Security like monitoring the packets and data, replay attacks, testing the drivers and cards, Cracking.
- Aircrack is a cracking agenda that purposely aims WPA-PSK and WEP keys
- Using Aircrack we can retrieve the lost keys by capturing the data packets
- Aircrack tools are also used in a network auditing
- Aircrack supports multiple OS like Linux, Windows, OS X, Solaris, NetBSD.
Check out the website from here for further information on Aircrack-NG tool.
#13) Nessus Professional
Nessus is patented and branded vulnerability scanner developed by Tenable Network Security.
- This tool has been installed and used by millions of users throughout the world for vulnerability assessment, configuration issues.
- Nessus is used to prevent the networks from the penetrations made by hackers by assessing the vulnerabilities at the earliest
- Nessus supports wide-range of OS, applications, DBs, and many more network devices among cloud infrastructure, physical and virtual networks
- Nessus is capable of scanning the vulnerabilities which allow remote hacking of sensitive data from a system
For a free trial of this tool and for further information, visit here.
#14) Retina CS Community
Retina CS is an open source and web-based console with which the vulnerability management has been centralized and simplified.
- Using Retina CS for managing the network security can save the time, cost and effort
- Retina CS is included with automated vulnerability assessment for workstations, DBs, web applications, and servers
- As it is an open source application, it presents complete support for virtual environments like virtual app scanning, vCenter integration etc.
- With its feasible features like patching, compliance reporting and configuration compliance Retina CS offers an assessment of cross-platform vulnerability
Check out the website from here for further information on Retina CS like a free trial, demo etc.
#15) Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (MBSA)
Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer is a free Microsoft tool used to secure a Windows computer based on the guidelines or specifications set by Microsoft.
- Using MBSA one can advance their security process by investigating a group of computers for any missing updates, misconfiguration, and any security patches etc.
- Once the scanning of any system is done through MBSA, then it will present you with few solutions or suggestions regarding fixing the vulnerabilities
- MBSA can only scan for service packs, security updates and update rollups keeping aside the Optional and Critical updates
- MBSA is used by small-sized and medium-sized organizations for managing the security of their networks
Access the tool’s website from here.
#16) Secunia Personal Software Inspector
Secunia Personal Software Inspector is a free program used to find the security vulnerabilities on your PC and even solving them fast.
- Secunia PSI is easy to use, quickly scans the system, enables the users to download the latest versions etc.
- Secunia PSI is mainly used to keep all the applications and programs of your PC updated
- One advantage of using this Secunia PSI is that it automatically scans the systems for updates or patches and installs them
- Secunia PSI even identifies the insecure programs in your PC and notifies you
Explore the site from here for free download and more features on Secunia Personal Software Inspector.
Additional Vulnerability Assessment Scanning Tools
Below are a few more additional vulnerability tools that are used by a few other organizations.
Nmap (Network Mapper) is a free and an open source security scanner used to determine hosts and services on a network by structuring the map of the computer network. Mainly used in an inventory of the networks, security auditing, administrating the service promote agenda. For official website check here.
#18) Metasploit Framework
Metasploit is Rapid7’s penetration testing tool that works very closely with Nexpose. It is an open source framework that validates the vulnerabilities found by Nexpose and strives in patching the same. For official website check here.
Veracode’s Vulnerability scanner is the most widely used and demanded a tool that guards your applications against threats and attacks by conducting a deeper binary analysis. For official website check here.
#20) Nipper Studio
Nipper Studio is an advanced configuration tool used for security auditing. Using Nipper Studio one can quickly scan the networks for vulnerabilities through which they can secure their networks and avert the attacks within minutes. For official website check here.
#21) GFI LanGuard
GFI LanGuard is an easy-to-use administration tool for securing, condensing IT tasks, troubleshooting the networks against vulnerabilities. This tool is used in patch management, network discovery, Port scanning and network auditing, etc. For official website check here.
#22) Core Impact
Core Impact is an industry-leading framework used in vulnerability management activities like vulnerability scanning, penetration security testing, etc. Using Core Impact we can allow simulated attacks across mobiles, web, and networks. For official website check here.
Vulnerability management using Qualys helps in identifying and addressing security threats through cloud-based solutions. Even the network auditing can be automated using Qualys. For official website check here.
SAINT (Security Administrator’s Integrated Network Tool) is used to scan computer networks for vulnerabilities and abusing the same vulnerabilities. SAINT can even categorize and group the vulnerabilities based on their severity and type. For official website check here.
#25) Safe3 Web Vulnerability Scanner
Safe3WVS is the most dominant and fast vulnerability scanner that uses web spider technology. This tool removes the repeated pages while scanning which makes it a fast scanning tool. For official website check here.
WebReaver is the security scanning tool for Mac operating system. It is a well-designed, simple, easy, automated and web application security scanning tool. WebReaver is powered by Web security. For official website check here.
#27) Beyond Security's AVDS appliance
AVDS is a vulnerability assessment tool used to scan the networks with a large number of nodes like 50 to 2,00,000. With this tool, each and every node is tested according to its characteristics and the respective report with its responses is generated. For official website check here.
AppScan is powered by IBM Security for static and dynamic security auditing of applications throughout their lifecycle. This tool is generally used to scan the web and mobile applications before deployment phase. For Official website check here
Clair is an open source program and automatic container vulnerability used for security scanning and static analysis of vulnerabilities in apps and Docker container. For official website check here.
#30) OWASP Zed Attack Proxy
OWASP Zed Attack Proxy (ZAP) is the trendiest, admired, free and automatic security tool used for finding vulnerabilities in web applications during its developing and testing stages. It is also used in manual security testing by pentester. For official website check here.
#31) Burp Suite Free Edition
Burp Suite Free Edition is an open source, complete software toolkit used to execute manual security testing of web applications. Using this tool the data traffic between the source and the target can be inspected and browsed. For official website check here.
This article provides you a list of the best vulnerability assessment tools with which the security of the web applications, computer networks, networks among the organizations can be audited and protected from threats, and malware.
Using such assessment tools one can identify the weaknesses over their personal or official network and can prevent or safeguard them from viruses, and disasters.