List and Comparison of the Top Website and Application Performance Monitoring APM Tools:
In this era of Information Technology, Application Performance Management (APM) monitors the performance of software applications.
APM ensures that it provides services to the customer up to the level defined and identifies the problems related to the application performance. Application performance can be monitored or tracked using different categories like load time, the response time of the application, etc.
Nowadays, with the use of technology the applications are becoming more and more complex and distributed. Hence it is necessary to monitor the performance of an application to provide greater satisfaction to the end-user.
Application Performance Monitoring includes individual web requests, transactions, CPU and Memory usage, Application error, etc.
What You Will Learn:
- Best APM Tools In 2021
Best APM Tools In 2021
Here are the complete details of the most popular Website and Application Performance Monitoring APM Tools.
Earlier it was known as Tracelytics which was acquired by AppNeta and now it is a part of SolarWinds.
SolarWinds was found in 1999 with its headquarter in Texas, USA. More than 150 employees are working here and it has revenue of $429 million.
It is an Application Performance Monitoring tool for web applications. It provides a deep insight into the application, better end-user experience, and is a very cost-effective performance monitoring tool.
- Traceview supports Java, .NET, PHP, Ruby, Python, etc.
- It monitors, web applications and SaaS applications.
- Traceview supports a detailed level of code-level performance monitoring.
- It fixes the problem with a real user monitoring system.
- It supports online as well as email and phone support.
#2) eG Innovations
eG Innovations is an industry leader in application performance and IT infrastructure monitoring. Founded in 2001, eG Innovations has expanded its portfolio over the years to support monitoring for over 180 applications including Java, .NET, SAP, SharePoint, Office 365, and more.
Hundreds of organizations around the world use eG Innovations’ flagship application performance monitoring software, eG Enterprise, to solve their IT challenges such as slow apps, downtime, code-level errors, capacity issues, hardware faults, config changes, and so on.
eG Enterprise helps application managers, developers, DevOps, and IT Ops personnel detect the root cause of application performance issues and troubleshoot faster.
Key Features of eG Enterprise:
- Monitor the digital experience of users as they access applications and be the first to know when their user experience is affected.
- Get code-level visibility into applications using distributed transaction tracing and identify reasons for slowness: code errors, slow queries, slow remote calls, etc.
- Benefit from deep-dive performance insight into the application infrastructure: JVMs, CLRs, application servers, message queues, databases, and more.
- Auto-discover dependencies between applications and underlying IT components (network, virtualization, cloud, container, etc.) and construct topology maps.
- Isolate the root cause of performance slowdowns using built-in correlative intelligence and machine learning.
Datadog APM enables you to analyze and isolate dependencies, remove bottlenecks, reduce latency, track errors, and increase code efficiency to optimize your application.
Distributed traces correlate seamlessly with browser sessions, logs, profiles, synthetic tests, process-level data, and infrastructure metrics, giving you full visibility into your application’s health across all hosts, containers, proxies, and serverless functions.
- Seamlessly correlate between application performance to logs and underlying infrastructure metrics in one integrated platform.
- Tracing without Limits: Search and analyze 100% of traces (no sampling) in real-time and retain only the ones that matter to you using tag-based rules.
- Continuous Profiling: Analyze code-level performance across your entire stack with minimal overhead, identify your most resource-consuming methods (CPU, memory, etc.) using tags, and correlate it with relevant requests and traces.
- Real User Monitoring (RUM) and Synthetics: Measure and improve your front-end application performance and end-user experience in real-time or by simulating controlled browser and API tests, and tie them to relevant traces, logs, and infrastructure metrics.
- Auto-detect anomalies to surface issues and reduce alert fatigue with ML-based Watchdog.
- Navigate applications seamlessly with the Service Map and other out-of-the-box dashboards and visualizations to reduce resolution time and release features more quickly.
- With over 450+ turn-key integrations, Datadog seamlessly aggregates metrics and events across your full DevOps stack.
#4) Sematext APM
Sematext APM provides real-time end-to-end visibility into web application performance by tracing individual and business transactions to detect the slowest and under-performing parts of your application. It helps troubleshoot faster and improve user experience.
- See how applications interact with underlaying components, databases and external services in real-time.
- Real-time alerting helps discover anomalies before they impact the end-user.
- Get code-level visibility to pinpoint root causes for performance issues and reduce MTTR.
- Ability to track & filter database operations and slow SQL to detect the most time-consuming transactions.
- Custom pointcuts (for JVM).
- Sematext AppMap shows inter-component communication and their throughput, latency, error rates, etc.
#5) ManageEngine Applications Manager
ManageEngine Applications Manager is a comprehensive application performance monitoring software built for today’s complex, dynamic environments. It gives deep performance insight into business-critical applications – both within the data center and on the cloud. It is easy to use and can be set up in minutes.
- Agent-based monitoring with byte-code instrumentation and code-level diagnostics for Java, .NET, PHP, Node.js, and Ruby applications.
- Synthetic transaction monitoring from multiple geographical locations for multi-page end-user workflow simulation.
- Out-of-the-box support for over a hundred applications and infrastructure elements.
- Extensively monitor hybrid cloud, virtual, and container technologies such as Kubernetes and Docker.
- Identify and resolve the root-cause of issues faster with automated application discovery, tracing, and diagnostics (ADTD).
- Anticipate future resource utilization and growth with machine learning-enabled analytics.
Applications Manager is used by users in varied roles such as IT Operations, DBAs, DevOps engineers, Site Reliability Engineers, application developers, application owners, Cloud Ops, etc. in 5000+ businesses worldwide.
Site24x7 is a cloud monitoring tool from Zoho Corporation. Site24x7 was born from the collective expertise of Zoho, a Saas leader for business and productivity applications, and Manage Engine, a world-class IT management software suite.
With more than 10,000 plus customers worldwide, Site24x7 helps IT teams and DevOps of all shapes and sizes to troubleshoot issues across their applications and infrastructure with ease. Site24x7 APM Insight is an application performance monitoring tool, that helps you optimize your application performance in real-time.
With Site24x7 APM Insight, you can understand your application behaviour and bridge the gap between end-user experience and application performance, thereby providing a seamless digital experience for your customers.
Key features of Site24x7 APM Insight:
- Understand how your applications connect and communicate with external components
- 50+ metrics that enable you to correlate how your application performance impacts end-user experience.
- Helps you troubleshoot easily across microservices and distributed architecture with the help of distributed tracing.
- AI-powered APM tool, that enables you to proactively identify sudden spikes in your application performance.
- Monitor business-critical transactions in real-time.
- Seamless integration with Site24x7 Real User Monitoring, to obtain a holistic view of front-end and back-end performance.
Supported Platforms: Java, .NET, Ruby, PHP, and Node.js
#7) New Relic
New Relic was established in 2008 by Lew Cirne. New Relic has grown so fast and quickly that now it has become an integral tool for developers, IT support teams and business executives. It is now servicing thousands of customers to improve the software or application performance.
New Relic is spread across the globe with offices in San Francisco, Portland, Dublin, Sydney, London, Zurich, and Munich. New Relic has a fantastic growth rate and it delivers around $263 million in revenue in the current fiscal year 2017 and it has a year on year growth of 45%.
New Relic APM provides the facility to drill down the application of performance-related problems.
It provides performance-related metrics as given below:
- Response Time, Throughput, Error Rates, etc.
- Performance of external services.
- Most time-consuming transactions.
- Cross-Application Tracing.
- Transaction breakdown.
- Deployment Analysis, History, and Comparison.
New Relic supports languages like Java, .NET, Python, Ruby, and PHP. And it also provides performance monitoring for mobile apps, advanced browser performance, and infrastructure monitoring.
AppDynamics is an American Application Performance Management Company that was found in 2008 and is based out of San Francisco. More than 1000 employees are currently working with a revenue of $118 million in 2017. It was ranked #9 in the Forbes list among 100 top Cloud companies.
AppDynamics is part of Cisco now; Cisco has completed the acquisition in March 2017. AppDynamics provides end to end, real-time performance of complex and distributed applications.
It has the following key features:
- It supports languages like Java, Node.js, PHP, .NET, Python, C++, etc.
- Sends the alert for a business-critical issue with automatic performance base-lining.
- Resolves production application performance issues by monitoring each and every line of the code.
- Using AppDynamics, the root cause of any issue can be easily identified and fixed.
- Using the alerts and Response, Appdynamics automatically discovers what is normal with the performance.
Visit the official site: AppDynamics
opsview is a software company which was launched in 2005 with its headquarters at Reading, England. It has offices in the United States at Woburn, Massachusetts.
opsview Application Monitoring tools provide a single view of the entire infrastructure and the performance of business applications. In the digital technology era, multiple applications are deployed at multiple locations so it is a very challenging task to get the performance data and display in a single context.
But opsview makes it easier using its automated and unified approach.
- Opsview tracks the health and alerts of the application when it is not normal and before the end-user gets impacted
- It tracks the database availability and its connectivity with the client, storage metrics
- Opsview ensures that business-critical applications are meeting their SLAs
- It works with other Opsview product such as Opsview Mobile
Visit the official site: Opsview
Dynatrace was launched in 2006 with its headquarters in Massachusetts, USA. Currently, around 2000 employees are working for Dynatrace. It has around $354 million in revenue in the financial year 2017.
Dynatrace Application Monitoring tool monitors and manages the performance of the software application. Along with that it also ensures the availability of the software application. All the individual and business transactions are monitored deeply at the code level by dynatrace APM.
It monitors real data, application performance, cloud environment, and infrastructure.
- Dynatrace supports .NET and Java.
- End to end and code-level monitoring is done by dynatrace APM.
- It delivers better digital customer experience by understanding how the performance of an application is important to business growth
- It resolves problems proactively before the end-user gets impacted.
- This proactive approach has reduced the time to resolve the issue and it also saves the resources used for identification and resolution of the issue.
- The performance issue is discovered using artificial intelligence.
Visit the official site: Dynatrace
Zenoss is a leader in hybrid IT monitoring and analytics software. It was launched in 2005 with its headquarters in Austin, Texas, USA. It has three software offerings – Zenoss core (Open source), Zenoss Service dynamics (Commercial software) and Zenoss as a Service (ZaaS).
Zenoss has a huge application monitoring capacity- that it monitors 1.2 million devices and 17 billion data points in a day. Zenoss won the Forbes award in 2016 for “Best Enterprise Software Startups and CEOs to Work For”
- Zenoss reduces downtime with proactive application monitoring.
- Resolves the issues with seamless Infrastructure before the end-user gets impacted due to the issue.
- Zenoss can automatically monitor application events and provide immediate alerts & notification.
- Zenoss can integrate with leading APM vendor such as New Relic, AppDyanmics, Dynatrace, etc
Visit the official site: Zenoss
#12) Dell Foglight
DELL is a multinational computer technology company based out of Texas, United States and was established in 1984. DELL has around 138,000 employees across the globe. DELL acquired Quest software in 2012. Quest Software was well known as one of the leaders in 2011 for Application Performance Monitoring.
Dell Foglight monitors the performance of an application across various technologies such as .NET Java. It also provides various analytical dashboards, better user experience, and cross-mapping between an application and the database.
Foglight quickly identifies and resolves the issues related to applications, virtual environments, and databases. Foglight can be integrated with different other tools to monitor application performance along with the Infrastructure performance.
- Foglight supports languages like Java, .NET, AJAX, etc.
- It is used to monitor Application Performance, database monitoring, storage platform performance, etc.
- It helps to improve compliance with the end-users SLA.
- Foglight captures user transactions to monitor the application health.
Visit the official site: Dell Foglight
#13) Stackify Retrace
Stackify was launched in 2012 by Matt Watson with its headquarters in Kansas, USA. It had a revenue of around $1 million in 2016. Stackify has been rewarded 2016 Editors’ Choice Award by PC Magazine for its tremendous work of Application Performance Monitoring. Stackify reported a 300% revenue growth in 2016.
Stackify provides application performance monitoring tool – Retrace and with the help of Retrace, Stackify has around 1000 customers including small companies as well as giant organizations like Xerox, Microsoft, Honeywell, etc.
- It supports .NET, Java and various other frameworks.
- Retrace can be integrated with other tools and it supports various environments.
- It is a SaaS-based APM tool and is designed specifically for developers.
- Retrace identifies the problems using detailed code-level performance trace.
- Retrace maintains the health of various servers and applications.
- It collects the details of all the applications stack and identifies its impact on performance.
Visit the official site: Stackify Retrace
#14) Application Insights
Microsoft is one of the reputed software company launched in 1975 with its headquarters in Washington, USA. More than 124,000 employees are working with a revenue of $90 billion. Microsoft jumps into the Application Performance Monitoring tool market by releasing “Application Insights”, which will help the organizations to understand how their applications are performing.
Application Insights is more focused on developers and is designed to monitor the application performance and to collect data to help in troubleshooting and improving the performance of the application.
- It works with Window-based application along with Android and iOS platforms.
- Application Insights is used to monitor the response time for various requests, CPU, network, memory usage, etc.
- Quickly identifies any problem and finds out the root cause of the issue and fixes it immediately.
- It has a powerful alerting system such as response time, email, various metrics, etc.
- It provides various metrics and dashboards to ensure that an application is available and running.
Visit the official site: Application Insights
#15) CA Technologies
CA Technologies was launched in 1976 and is headquartered in New York, USA. It has more than 12K employees currently with a revenue of $4 billion.
CA Application Performance Monitoring supports web, mobile, cloud, mainframe, etc. It monitors the application performance and provides greater customer experience. CA APM is available on-premises for enterprise customers.
- It identifies the problems quickly and resolves them immediately.
- Easily monitors application and simulates real user transactions.
- It safeguards the application performance from Mobile to Mainframe.
- Improvement in the digital performance of the application and customer journey.
- Simplifying and speeding up the detection and resolution of the issues results in reducing time and efforts.
- It provides better metrics when compared to other APM tools.
- It is easy to deploy and a stable APM tool.
Visit the official site: CA Technologies
IT-Conductor is an enterprise-grade IT/SAP Service Management solution in the Cloud providing End-User Experience Monitoring, App & Infrastructure Monitoring, Impact Analysis, Root Cause Analysis, Notification, and IT Process Automation. IT-Conductor Automates so your IT Operations can Accelerate!
Minimize Noise > Maximize Performance.
It has the following key features:
- APMaaS (Application Performance Management as a Service): Monitor & Manage SAP WITHOUT Installation, Subscription-based, easy wizard-based setup, Powerful best-practices service management templates will save effort and operation costs.
- Proactive Performance Management: Pinpoint Problems with Performance & Availability, Unified service level management provides uniform support of new technologies, components, and architectures.
- Automated: Automate Root-cause Analysis by making sense of Application Diagnostics, Integrated Infrastructure provides IT process & runbook automation, including job scheduling.
In this article, we have seen the various Application Performance Monitoring tools.
There are still a lot of APM tools available in the market which can be chosen based on the project need and application performance.