List and Comparison of the Top IT Asset Management Software:
Keeping a track of business assets is important for every organization.
Record of assets is required for regulatory compliance purposes. Moreover, accurate records of physical and digital assets also help in efficient resource planning.
Gone are the days when organizations used to keep manual asset management registers. Today different types of asset management apps are available and they in turn save time and improve the efficiency in keeping a record of the company’s assets.
Here we will explain the process of IT asset management and why it’s important. Also, here you will find a review of the top Asset Management Software available online.
What You Will Learn:
- What Is IT Asset Management?
- Best Asset Management Software with Prices and Features
- Comparison of Top Asset Management Software
- #1) NinjaOne (Formerly NinjaRMM)
- #2) Auvik
- #3) Freshservice
- #4) Atera
- #5) Nifty
- #6) xAssets IT Asset Management Software
- #7) AssetExplorer
- #8) Spiceworks IT Asset Management Software
- #9) Snipe-IT
- #10) Asset Panda
- #11) GoCodes
- #12) EZOfficeInventory
- #13) Samanage
- #14) AssetCloud
- #15) InvGate Assets
- What Does An Asset Management System Do?
- Importance of Asset Management System
- What Is Asset Lifecycle Management?
What Is IT Asset Management?
IT asset management refers to an all-encompassing computer system that tracks the organization’s assets. The International Association of IT Asset Managers (IAITAM) has defined IT asset management as “a set of business practices that incorporates IT assets across the business units within the organization.”
The process helps to support strategic decision making in an IT ecosystem.
The purpose of an IT asset management solution is to:
- Effectively help manage the assets.
- Improve visibility of assets.
- Ensure optimum utilization of assets.
- Reduce IT and software costs.
- Ensure compliance with regulatory requirements.
IT asset management ties the assets with the IT infrastructure of the organization. With a robust asset management system, management and IT professionals can review and monitor all types of assets within the organization. The information can be used to make detailed decisions about purchase and other aspects of the asset’s lifecycle.
You can view IT asset management as a combination of IT and accounting services. The IT systems are used for records of assets for accounting purposes. The information contained in the systems can be used to prepare an accurate balance sheet. This can help the management in making informed business decisions.
In addition, investors can analyze the financial position of the business more accurately.
Our TOP Picks:
|• Real-time asset information |
• Alerts on asset change
• Monitor & manage software at scale
|• Automated network discovery|
• Monitor multi-vendor network gear.
• Config backups
|• Remote management|
• Monitoring & alerts
• Patch management
|• Automated discovery
• Multi-source CMDB
• Contract management
Trial version: Available
|Price: Fully Functional|
Trial version: 14 days
|Price: Starts at $79/tech./month|
Trial version: Yes
|Price: Starts at $19/agent/month
Trial version: 21 days
|Visit Site >>||Visit Site >>||Visit Site >>||Visit Site >>|
How To Select The Best IT Asset Management Software?
You will find different asset management software online. Asset management software can be classified based on the types of assets that they help to manage.
Infrastructure Asset Management Software: The app is used to record physical infrastructure assets such as roads, utilities, power generators, transport equipment, etc. They are generally used by public organizations and large companies.
Financial Asset Management Software: This software is used to record the financial assets owned by the company. The assets include investment funds, securities, loans, and other financial assets.
Software Asset Management: The app is used to manage purchase, use, upgrade, license renewal, and other aspects of the software applications within a company.
Physical Asset Management: The asset is used to manage all kinds of physical assets owned by a company. These include computer equipment, light fixtures, tables, cabinets, and other physical assets.
You should buy an asset based on business requirements. Make sure that you are clear about what you want with the asset management system. Prepare a list of all types of features that you want in the asset management software.
Large firms would require the software that is able to record all the above features. Small business owners may have only fewer requirements. Once you have determined the needs, you should research online to find the required software.
Best Asset Management Software with Prices and Features
Here is a list of the 10 best asset management software including price, suitability, and best features.
Comparison of Top Asset Management Software
|Asset Management Software||Best For||Price||Features|
|NinjaOne (Formerly NinjaRMM)||Managing projects, communication, & work.||Starter: $39 per month|
Pro: $79 per month
Business: $124 per month
Enterprise: Contact them to get a quote.
|Recurring tasks, Task dependencies, team chat, Time tracking & reporting, etc.|
|Auvik||The complete network visibility and control.||Get a quote plans, Essentials & Performance.||Discovery & mapping, inventory & documentation, hardware lifecycle data, etc.|
|Freshservice||Assets and Project Management.||$19 to $99 per user per month.||Asset management,
Custom & scheduled reports,
|Atera||Small to medium-sized MSPs, IT Consultants and internal IT departments.||$79 Per Technician, for Unlimited Devices.||Inventory Management, Network Troubleshooting, etc.|
|Nifty||Remote collaboration for managing projects.||It starts at $39/month||Setting goals & timeline
Collaboration on tasks, creating docs, etc.
|xAssets||Full lifecycle ITAM, SAM and Network Discovery.||Free Edition: Fully functional, restricted to 1 user, $39/month for additional users.|
Professional Edition: Starts at $1,000 per year.
|Hardware Asset Management, Software Asset Management, License Compliance, Reporting and BI capabilities,Procurement, Receiving and Approvals, etc.|
|AssetExplorer||Manage IT Hardware, Software and Licenses.||Free Edition: Fully functional, restricted to 25 nodes.|
Professional: Starts at $955/year for 250 IT assets annually.
|Asset Lifecycle Management,
Hardware Asset Management,
Software Asset Management,
Software License Management,
License Compliance Management,
Purchase orders and Contract Management,
|Spiceworks IT Asset Management||Managing IT Network Infrastructure.||Free||Monitor network licenses and devices.
Manage licensing, network, exchange, etc.
Report on inventory, assets, and licensing.
Let’s see their detailed reviews.
#1) NinjaOne (Formerly NinjaRMM)
Best for: Managed service providers (MSPs), IT service businesses, and SMBs / mid-market companies with small IT departments.
NinjaOne Pricing: NinjaOne offers a free trial of their product. Ninja is priced on a per-device basis based on the features needed.
NinjaOne provides powerful intuitive server management software for managed service providers (MSPs) and IT professionals. With Ninja, you get a complete set of tools to monitor, manage, secure, and improve all of your network devices, Windows servers, workstations, and laptops, as well as MacOS devices.
- Get full up-to-the-minute hardware and software inventories on all your devices.
- Monitor the health and productivity of all your Windows servers, workstations, laptops, and MacOS devices.
- Monitor the health and performance of all your routers, switches, firewalls, and other SNMP devices.
- Automate OS and third-party application patching for Windows and MacOS devices with granular controls over features, drivers, and security updates.
- Remotely manage all your devices without interrupting end-users through a robust suite of remote tools.
- Standardize the deployment, configuration, and management of devices with powerful IT automation.
- Directly take control of devices with remote access.
Verdict: NinjaOne has built a powerful, intuitive IT management platform that drives efficiency, reduces ticket volumes, and improves ticket resolution times that IT pros love to use.
Best for complete network visibility and control.
Auvik Pricing: You can get a quote for Auvik’s Essentials and Performance pricing plans. It offers a free trial for the tool. As per reviews, the price starts at $150 per month.
Auvik network management software can automatically discover the distributed IT assets. It gives visibility on the connectivity of every device and how the network is configured. It has capabilities for automating network visibility and IT asset management.
- Auvik’s discovery & mapping features can get the data from sources like CDP, LLDP, forwarding tables, etc.
- With the help of network protocols, the tool identifies and captures all the details of every device on the network.
- It has capabilities for identifying the devices that need an upgrade.
Verdict: Auvik is a network visibility and IT asset management platform. It has capabilities of automated mapping, inventory, and documentation. Auvik is a cloud-based solution and easy to use.
Freshservice Pricing: $19 to $99 per user per month.
Freshservice is an online asset management solution that can help you to maintain records of hardware, software, contracts, and other assets. The assets can be grouped by location, created by, created date, and asset type. You can track assets through different phases and even get a timeline at a glance.
- Asset management
- Custom & scheduled reports
- Incident management
- Multiple languages
- License management
- Contract and project management
Best for Assets and project management.
Atera offers an affordable and disruptive per-tech pricing model, allowing you to manage an unlimited number of devices and endpoints for a flat low rate.
You may opt-in for a flexible monthly subscription or a discounted annual subscription. You’ll have three different license types to choose from and can trial Atera’s full feature capabilities FREE for 30 days.
Atera is a cloud-based, Remote IT Management platform that provides a powerful and integrated solution, for MSPs, IT consultants, and IT departments. With Atera you can Maintain and track unlimited inventory for a flat low rate.
Additionally, Atera’s Network Discovery add-on instantly identifies unmanaged devices and opportunities. The ultimate all-in-one IT management tool suite, Atera Includes everything you need in one integrated solution.
Atera includes Remote Monitoring and Management (RMM), PSA, Network Discovery, Remote Access, Patch Management, Reporting, Script Library, Ticketing, Helpdesk, and so much more!
- Easily Monitor and manage unlimited endpoints, servers, and desktops, both Mac and Windows.
- Instantly scan networks in minutes to discover SNMP devices, printers, firewalls, switches, and routers, etc.
- Inventory Management; search and log all connected devices, document software inventory, and manage software licenses.
- Troubleshoot network issues with one integrated platform, including ticketing and automatic billing.
- Proactively monitor the performance and availability of all your managed devices. CPU, memory, HD utilization, hardware, availability, and more.
- Automated reports that track and measure your networks, assets, system health, and overall performance.
- Customized alert settings and thresholds, and run automatic maintenance and updates.
Verdict: With Atera’s fixed pricing for unlimited devices and seamlessly integrated solution, Atera is a top choice IT Asset Management Software for MSPs and IT professionals. Try 100% free. It’s risk-free, no credit card required, and gain access to all Atera has to offer!
- Starter: $39 per month
- Pro: $79 per month
- Business: $124 per month
- Enterprise: Contact them to get a quote.
All Plans Include:
- Unlimited active projects
- Unlimited guests & clients
- Docs & files
- Team chat
- Time tracking & reporting
- iOS, Android, and Desktop apps
- Google single sign-on (SSO)
- Open API
Nifty is a collaboration hub that offers visual project management that helps IT teams have a clear overview of their workflows.
Nifty accels at longer-term implementations that are driven by a schedule, as well as nimble workflows such as ticket management that can be automated and measured after the fact. Whether you’re looking to manage a process or speed up resolutions, Nifty is the tool that your team will unite around.
- Project Milestones update based on key task completion to reflect the progress of an initiative.
- Cross-portfolio reporting to ingest all roadmaps at large.
- Task Tags and Custom Fields standardize information across the account for meaningful scalability.
- Milestone and Task reports downloadable as .CSV or .PDF.
- Project document creation and file storage to keep contracts, scopes, and information filed in relevant places.
#6) xAssets IT Asset Management Software
Best for: Full lifecycle IT Asset Management, Software Asset Management, Software Licensing, and Network Discovery.
xAssets Pricing: The free edition is restricted to one user and 100 discovered nodes. Additional users can be purchased at $39 with each user adding another 100 discovery nodes.
Additional nodes can also be quoted on request. Professional and Enterprise editions start at $1,000 per year and a free trial is offered with no formal time restrictions.
xAssets ITAM removes the time and cost barriers to acquiring an ITAM system that closely fits your business.
Most of the requirements are met quickly “out of the box”, thereby allowing excellent time to value. Their platform allows rapid configuration so complex requirements including workflow, reporting, and integrations are met in very short timescales.
- Full lifecycle IT asset register and CMDB.
- Software asset management
- Integrate with AD, System Center, AWS, GCP, Azure, JIRA, and others.
- Agentless zero impact network discovery.
- Procurement and contract management.
- Financials and depreciation
- Service management
- Spare parts and storage
- Disposal and Obsolescence
- Key performance indicators and management reporting.
AssetExplorer is web-based IT asset management (ITAM) software that helps you monitor and manage assets in your network from purchase to disposal. From multi-source discovery techniques to real-time hardware and software dashboards, AssetExplorer covers every aspect of IT asset management.
With the built-in software asset management module, you can track software usage and maximize software license compliance.
- Multi-source asset discovery
- Scheduled asset scans
- Real-time hardware and software asset dashboards
- Software license management and metering
- Software asset management
- Purchase order management
- Asset life cycle management
- IT asset inventory management
- Configuration management database (CMDB)
- Native Microsoft SSCM integration
Best for managing software and hardware assets.
#8) Spiceworks IT Asset Management Software
Spiceworks IT Asset Management software allows you to monitor your network hardware and software. You can monitor all types of network devices such as switches, routers, gateways, and others. The software will automatically detect assets on the network, categorize them, and prepare a detailed report.
- Monitor network licenses and devices.
- Manage licensing, network, exchange, etc.
- Report on inventory, assets, and licensing.
Best for Managing IT network infrastructure.
Website: Spiceworks IT Asset Management
Price: Self-Hosted – Free, Hosted – $39.99 per month.
Snipe-IT is an open-source online asset management software app. The app comes with a lot of features that can make managing your inventory easy. The dashboard gives an overview of the most recent activity. You can also integrate the app with your own system using the REST API.
- Monitor assets based on location, assignment, and status.
- One-click check
- Email alerts in case of expiring licenses.
- Asset auditing
- Import and export assets.
- Generate QR code labels.
Best for Mobile management of assets.
#10) Asset Panda
Asset Panda is a scalable asset management app for managing all types of assets – physical and digital. You can create workflows and actions to streamline the asset management process.
- Centralized asset management.
- Disaster recovery capabilities.
- Customized reporting
- Help desk module
Best for Tracking and management of all types of assets.
Website: Asset Panda
Price: $30 to $125 per month.
GoCodes is a robust asset management software tool. The basic version of the software is free and supports custom fields, QR codes, audits, excel imports and export, GPS tracking, maintenance, APIs, reports, analytics, and inventory management.
You can go for the paid version if you want advanced features such as company URL, data backups, recurring services, asset stock transfer, and advanced access control.
- Manage unlimited assets with an Enterprise solution.
- Manage multiple roles.
- GPS location tracking
- Fixed asset depreciation
- Inventory module
- Report designer
- API Access
- Custom Labels
Best for Managing all types of assets with depreciation.
Price: Basic – Free; Paid $27 to $112.5 per month.
EZInventory contains a comprehensive solution for tracking assets. The software solution consists of barcode asset tracking, fixed asset tracking, inventory tracking, RFID asset tracking, tool tracking, and IT hardware and software tracking.
- Auto-discover IT assets.
- Manage hardware and software licenses.
- Barcode, QR Code, & RFID.
- Managing purchase orders.
Best for Managing hardware and software assets.
Samanage is an IT asset management solution. The software supports a range of features. Highlights of the asset management software include change management, a self-service portal, automation, ticketing, and risk detection.
- Contract and asset management.
- Risk detection
- Configuration management.
Best for Managing IT hardware and software.
Price: $595 to $4,295
AssetCloud is a versatile asset management software tool. The application allows you to manage physical and digital assets. You can generate pre-built reports to know about overdue checkouts, warranties, scheduled maintenance and more.
- Manage and track IT purchase orders.
- Equipment maintenance schedule.
- Tag items with labels.
- Cross-reference IT landscape.
Best for Managing IT hardware, software, and licenses Simplify workflow.
#15) InvGate Assets
InvGate Assets is a great asset management software. The software allows the discovery and management of IT assets. You can compile asset information through network discovery data and third party sources to create a single repository of assets.
- Network discovery
- Software license management
- Monitor and control changes
- Remote desktop
Best for IT Asset inventory monitoring.
Website: InvGate Assets
#16) ServiceNow ITSM and ITAM
ServiceNow has been a leader in the ITSM market for 7 consecutive years, according to Gartner’s Magic Quadrant for IT Service Management Tools. ServiceNow offers two products for IT asset management: ServiceNow ITSM and ServiceNow ITAM.
Pricing: Contact a ServiceNow consultant to estimate the implementation cost of an IT asset management solution for your business.
- Asset lifecycle management from asset planning to retirement.
- Assets’ worth tracking throughout their actual lifecycles.
- Asset governance control, including control of asset distribution and enforcement of the policy, contract, and regulatory requirements.
- Asset audit management.
- Stockroom inventory management for hardware and consumables (mouse devices, computer keyboards, etc.).
- Contract management, including automation of contract approval and renewal.
- Reports and dashboards on incidents, change requests, etc.
- Multi-scanning multiple barcodes or groups of codes via a mobile interface for fast entry of the assets information into ServiceNow ITSM.
- Hardware asset management (hardware normalization, hardware asset dashboard, mobile asset inventory audit, etc.).
- Software asset management (software spend detection, license workbench, license change projections, etc.).
- Configuration Management Database (data health tools, reporting on configuration items and audit trail, and more).
- Discovery (automated discovery of all IT resources, firewall audit, and reporting, security certificate management, etc.).
Verdict: ServiceNow is a flexible platform that provides lifecycle automation of IT and non-IT assets, including tracking their financial, contractual, and inventory details, which helps reduce IT costs and improve IT service quality.
What Does An Asset Management System Do?
An asset management system performs multiple functions. You can use an asset management application to monitor all types of assets. Using asset management software, you can track physical and digital assets.
Asset management software can be used to track inventories, hardware devices, software, and other software. The system also helps in asset lifecycle management. The software can track assets at all stages right from purchase to disposal.
The system helps to optimize the process of asset management. You can use an asset management system to track all type of documents including software installations, business services, documents and others in a single repository.
Application of an asset management system generally starts with the recording information about the physical and digital assets of the company. The information is used for monitoring the location of assets and making appropriate asset management decisions.
Asset management systems track assets, ensure licensing compliance, and monitor maintenance history. Using the system saves time and effort involved in auditing the assets.
An important component of the IT management system is the contract data. Data is often collected from the manufacturer or retailer and it includes details such as license entitlements, version number, vendor SKU, service levels, and other critical information about assets.
Importance of Asset Management System
IT asset management is important for businesses of all sizes. The software helps in an accurate record of all types of assets. Using the software can help in efficient resource planning. It can also reduce the risk of theft of assets.
An asset management system will help to monitor the assets located in different locations and departments. You will get to know where the assets are located. You can run reports to know about ownership, service details, and other insightful information.
Improved visibility of assets ensures that the assets are not misplaced. You can add assets and details and schedule a periodic audit of the assets. The stock control module will alert you in the case when the minimum threshold is reached. This will ensure that the inventory items are always fully stocked.
Asset management software also helps in managing the depreciation of assets. Previously most of the companies were monitoring assets manually using spreadsheets. This process was often error-prone thereby resulting in problems with the valuation of assets.
IT asset management allows for better knowledge about the planned purchase of assets. The system leads to more informed decision making about assets. Moreover, it allows for the timely replacement of critical assets of the company.
With the use of asset management software, the management will also have a more complete picture of the net cost of the assets. The asset management application brings all the required information in a single repository. This helps to ensure proper asset management and planning in compliance with ISO 55000.
- Capture early stage costs.
- Document changes to assets.
- Plan proper service and maintenance.
- Capture the cost of disposal.
- Determine profit or loss on the sale.
Asset management software can accurately calculate the value of assets including the depreciated cost. This helps in more accurate calculation of the profit or loss on the sale of assets.
Moreover, it ensures that regulatory requirements are complied with while purchasing and disposing of assets. This helps in optimizing the profit from the asset generated through its lifecycle.
What Is Asset Lifecycle Management?
Asset Lifecycle Management refers to optimizing the use of assets.
The asset lifecycle typically consists of four stages:
- Operation and Maintenance
IT asset management system can help to optimize the use of assets throughout the assets life cycle. The software can help in establishing the requirements of assets. The management can know about the asset requirements after analyzing the existing assets.
By looking at the asset management report, the management will know whether the existing assets will meet the current needs of the organization or not.
Effective planning of assets through different stages of an asset lifecycle will ensure that the assets are properly maintained. In addition, it will help in monitoring the practical sufficiency of the current assets. The management can know about excess assets. Also, they will know about outdated assets that require replacement.
With a good asset management system, asset managers can estimate the options for the provision of assets as well as the funding of acquiring new assets. Effective planning of assets will help in delivering value for the organization.
Apart from planning, asset management system also allows efficient acquisition of assets. The decision makers will be able to accurately define the cost requirements. They can use the information contained in the asset management system to make an informed purchase decision.
Once the asset is purchased, an asset management system will help in knowing about the maintenance requirements of the asset. This, in turn, will ensure proper operation of the assets. Moreover, it will reduce the repair cost over the life of the asset.
Lastly, when the asset has reached the end of life, an asset management system can tell whether the sale on disposal will be reported as a profit or a loss. The asset management software will accurately calculate the gain or loss based on the purchase price and depreciated cost of the asset.
Benefits of asset life cycle management using an asset management system are:
- Better forecast of the asset purchase.
- Informed purchase decisions.
- Ensure timely maintenance.
- Know the depreciated cost of the asset.
Reading about the best asset management software will make it easy to select the right software for the firm.
Make sure that you check the online reviews and ratings before purchasing the software. Most of the reviews regarding the software should be positive, otherwise, it’s not worth purchasing the software.
Consider trying a free demo before making an actual purchase. This will help you to try the software to ensure that it meets the requirements.
=> Contact us to suggest a listing here.