A comprehensive list and comparison of the top Data Loss Prevention Software vendors in the market with top features, download links and pricing details. Select the best DLP Solution for your business.
What is a DLP System?
Data Loss Prevention Software is an application that incorporates policies, procedures, and technologies to prevent data leakage or its misuse. It helps organizations to deal with various issues like insider threats, data leaks, etc.
The three main benefits that DLP software offers are to prevent end-users from accidentally or maliciously misusing data, meet compliances and regulatory standards, and monitoring critical file movements.
What You Will Learn:
- What Is Data Loss Prevention?
- List of the Best Data Loss Prevention Software
What Is Data Loss Prevention?
Data loss prevention (DLP) is a method of detecting and preventing potential data breaches or unwanted destruction of sensitive data by monitoring, detecting and blocking sensitive data.
Security risks increase with removable storage devices and mobile connection technologies like WiFi. Today’s DLP solution will help organizations to protect sensitive data through various features like Device Control. It is important to understand the DLP solution and the protocols that it can analyze and act against.
Example: It can control USB ports, enforce policies for the data leaving the network through various protocols such as email, instant messaging, etc.
The below image will show you the statistics of this report:
A few more tips for choosing the Data Loss Prevention System:
- Keep your requirements checklist ready while making your choice.
- Based on your requirements for the DLP solution, you can look for features like Content inspection and Contextual scanning of data, Compliance, Encryption, Management, and Securing USB storage devices.
- If you want granular control over all the devices in your organization, you should choose high-quality device control solutions.
- Consider the deployment timeframe while choosing the platform.
- Check if there is any kind of training required for DLP software.
Traditional Data Loss Prevention Solutions
Traditional Data Loss Prevention Tools have a lot of drawbacks. Code42 says that 66% of companies found that traditional DLP solutions are blocking their employees from accessing data even though they are within policy.
Today’s DLP Software or next-generation DLP Software can detect and respond to data risks along with preventing it. Example: Endpoint Protector by CoSoSys responds to all data security needs with compliance and regulations, Personal Information Protection, Insider Threat Protection, and Intellectual Property Protection.
Significance of Data Loss Prevention
A comprehensive DLP solution can automatically discover and classify data across your network from the device to the cloud. Data loss can happen anyway.
For example, the work environment includes collaborative tools, messaging applications, or file-sharing tools like Google Drive. So data can be accidentally shared publicly or can even get saved on unauthorized computers. In such situations, Content-Aware DLP works. This Data Loss Prevention measure will keep an awareness of the context and content that needs to be protected.
The below image shows some statistics that explain the importance of having comprehensive DLP software.
Also read =>> Best iPhone Data Recovery Tools
Some tools offer the feature of USB lockdown. This feature is also called USB blocking software. This will restrict unauthorized devices from accessing endpoints and hence prevent data leakage. Organizations can safeguard their data from being copied to untrusted removable devices with the help of this USB blocking feature.
Device Control will help organizations protect sensitive data. It will control the movement of data to portable storage devices and peripheral ports. This provides visibility on the data that is being taken out.
Enforced Encryption is to help IT administrators to extend their Device Control policy. It will encrypt all the confidential data that is transferred to USB storage devices. Some tools offer features for scanning and identifying confidential information at endpoints.
List of the Best Data Loss Prevention Software
- Endpoint Protector by CoSoSys
- Symantec DLP
- McAfee DLP
- Forcepoint DLP
- SecureTrust Data Loss Prevention
- Digital Guardian
- Trend Micro
- Check Point
Data Loss Prevention Tools Comparison
|DLP Software||Our Ratings||About Tool||Best for||Platforms||Deployment|
|Endpoint Protector by CoSoSys||Discover, monitor, & protect sensitive data.||Midsized to enterprise customers||Windows, Mac, Linux, Printers, & Thin Clients.||Virtual Appliance, Cloud Services, Cloud-Hosted|
|Symantec DLP||Mitigate data breach & compliance risks.||Enterprises.||Windows, Mac, Linux.||Cloud-based & on-premise|
|McAfee DLP||Protect against data loss.||Small to large businesses.||Windows, Mac, Linux.||Cloud-based & on-premise|
|Data will be controlled with single policy.||Small to large businesses, Agencies, & Enterprises.||Windows and Web App.||Cloud-based|
|SecureTrust DLP||Discover, monitor, & secure data at rest, in use, & in motion.||Business of all industries.||Windows, Mac, Linux.||Cloud-based & on-premise|
Review of the tools:
#1) Endpoint Protector By CoSoSys
Endpoint Protector is best for midsized to enterprise customers.
Endpoint Protector by CoSoSys is a Data Loss Prevention platform that can discover, monitor, and protect your sensitive data. It is an advanced multi-OS data loss prevention technique. It ensures regulatory compliance. Endpoint Protector’s data security solution is available for various industries like Healthcare, Education, Finance, Manufacturing, and Media.
It has features for removable devices. It can perform content inspection and contextual scanning of data for these devices and applications such as Outlook, Dropbox, Skype, etc. It is available as a cloud service. It can perform Enforced Encryption for Windows and Mac devices.
- Endpoint Protector provides a feature of Device Control that will give you precise and granular control and a facility to remotely grant temporary access.
- It provides the feature of Content-Aware Data Loss Prevention. This feature will perform content inspections and contextual scanning of data for removable devices and applications such as Skype, Outlook, etc.
- Enforced encryption features will encrypt, manage, and secure USB storage devices.
- Endpoint Protector’s enforced encryption is password-based and easy to use. It can scan sensitive data stored on Windows, Mac, and Linux endpoints and remotely take remediation actions.
Verdict: Endpoint Protector provides Device Control, Content Aware Protection, and eDiscovery for platforms like Windows, Mac, and Linux. Its enforced encryption is easy to use.
Price: You can get a quote for pricing details. A demo is also available on request.
#2) Symantec DLP
Best for enterprise businesses.
Symantec DLP solution will provide total protection for your sensitive data. This will mitigate data breaches and compliance risks. You will get complete visibility and control over your data. It will continuously monitor policy violations and risky user behavior across control points. It can block, quarantine, and alert in real-time and that will prevent data leakage.
Suggested reading =>> Top Alternatives to Symantec DLP
- Symantec DLP has the features of automated incident remediation workflows and one-click Smart Responses that will let you respond quickly and efficiently if critical data loss happens.
- It provides flexibility to fine-tune policies so that you are able to balance security and productivity.
- It can provide visibility and control over the data at rest or in the cloud apps.
- It provides Information Centric Analytics. This feature will let you prioritize risky behavior and identify malicious users and hence provides a better way to manage and respond to incidents.
Verdict: Symantec DLP is a platform with the functionalities of data discovery, monitoring, and protection for a variety of regulations like GDPR, PCI, HIPAA, and SOX. It provides threat-aware data protection and restricts suspicious apps.
Price: You can get a quote for pricing details. As per the reviews, the Symantec DLP Enterprise suite can cost you $72.99 for one license.
Website: Symantec DLP
#3) McAfee DLP
Best for small to large businesses.
McAfee offers comprehensive data loss prevention in one suite. It can protect the data on the network, in the cloud, and at the endpoints. You will be able to manage common policies and streamline incident workflows with flexible deployment options.
- McAfee provides visibility through capture technology.
- This will give you visibility over how the data is being used and how it is getting leaked.
- It has a stronger data classification feature to identify and classify data.
- It can encrypt, redirect, quarantine, or block data transmissions that are in violation of policies.
Verdict: McAfee DLP will provide centralized Incident Management and Reporting. Your on-premises and cloud DLP policies will get synchronized by McAfee.
Price: You can get a quote for pricing details.
Website: McAfee DLP
#4) Forcepoint DLP
Best for small to large businesses, agencies, and enterprises.
Forcepoint provides individualized and adaptive data security. It will let you block actions only when required and hence help you with driving productivity. This will ensure regulatory compliance across 80+ countries for GDPR, CCPA, etc. This will automatically prevent data breaches.
Forcepoint has a large predefined policy library to view and control all your data. With Forcepoint, you will be able to protect PII and PHI, company financials, trade secrets, credit card data, etc. even in images. It will let you follow intellectual property in both structured and unstructured forms.
- For Data Protection, Forcepoint provides the features of Drip DLP, Native remediation, comprehensive data discovery, and OCR.
- It can provide native behavioral analytics, risk-adaptive protection, and risk-based policy enforcement.
- Forcepoint has features to stop slow data theft even if user devices are off-network.
- It has database flexibility.
Verdict: Forcepoint tool is easy to use and can protect your data everywhere. It has reduced alert volume, false positives, and alarms, and hence you will be able to focus on what matters.
Price: You can get a quote for pricing details and request a free trial. As per reviews, the price of Forcepoint DLP Suite (IP Protection) is $48.99 for a one-year subscription for one user.
Website: Forcepoint DLP
#5) SecureTrust Data Loss Prevention
Best for businesses of all industries and businesses that have minimal DLP experience.
SecureTrust DLP is a solution to discover, monitor, and secure data at rest, in motion, and in use. The tool will prevent exfiltration and ensure regulatory compliance. It has more than 70 predefined policy settings and risk categories. You can switch them on or off.
SecureTrust can analyze all web-based communication and attachments for the violations of the company’s governance, compliance, and acceptable-use policies.
- It has features to automatically block HTTP, HTTPS, and FTP traffic that violates compliance policies.
- It will offer automatic encryption, blocking, quarantine, or self-compliance capabilities if email communication and attachments are identified as compliance violations.
- It has an Intelligent Content Control Engine that will help security teams to discover sensitive data. It will enable security teams to focus on their initiatives on specific users & systems and implement the correct measures.
- SecureTrust provides the features of Advanced Content Control, Investigation Management, and Real-Time identity match.
Verdict: SecureTrust will provide you with complete visibility into all external attacks and insider risk. It has a highly configurable dashboard.
Price: You can get a quote for pricing details.
Website: SecureTrust Data Loss Prevention
#6) Digital Guardian
Digital Guardian is an enterprise IP and DLP software. It supports Windows, Mac, and Linux platforms. It will be delivered as a SaaS application and hence you will get quick deployment and on-demand scalability. It has features of cross-platform, deepest visibility, unknown risk approach, flexible controls, and comprehensive classification.
- Digital Guardian provides a feature of comprehensive classification that will allow you for data-discovery and classification based on content, user, and context.
- Its unknown risk policy will let you know where the sensitive data is located, how it flows, where it can be at risk and that too without having policies.
- It supports cross-platform, browser-based applications, and native applications.
Verdict: Digital Guardian will have full coverage of the endpoints, on the network and in the cloud.
Price: You can get a quote for pricing details. You can schedule a demo for the platform.
Website: Digital Guardian
#7) Trend Micro IDLP
Trend Micro provides an integrated DLP solution that will let you implement controls for protection, visibility, and enforcement. It is a light-weight plugin and will give you quick visibility and control over sensitive data to prevent data loss through USB, Email, SaaS applications, web, mobile devices, and cloud storage.
You will not require any extra hardware or software. It can protect data at rest, in use, and in motion.
- Trend Micro can restrict USB drives, CD/DVD writers, cloud storage, USB attached mobile devices, etc.
- You will be able to automate the response to policy violations with options to log, bypass, block, encrypt, alerts, modify, quarantine, or delete data.
- It can identify risky business processes and hence improves corporate data usage policies.
- It can detect and react to improper data usage based on keywords, regular expressions, and file attributes.
Verdict: Trend Micro is a fully integrated and centrally managed solution that will improve visibility and control. It will help you to automate the response to policy violations.
Price: You can get a quote for pricing details. As per reviews, Trend Micro DLP can cost you $23.66 per user.
Website: Trend Micro
Best for small to large businesses.
Sophos offers a DLP functionality with Sophos Endpoint and Email Appliance products. It has integrated content scanning into the threat detection engine. It has a comprehensive set of sensitive data type definitions that will enable immediate protection of your sensitive data.
- Sophos can protect your sensitive data from accidental or malicious disclosure through removable devices, internet applications, or email.
- It has a lot of pre-defined PII and other sensitive data types like bank accounts and credit cards.
- It will let you define the data control policies by endpoint, groups, email sender, etc.
- You can define rules on file types.
- DLP policy will be triggered in various cases like copying content to removable devices, uploading content to web-browsers, or sending via emails.
Verdict: With Sophos, you will get simple and effective protection for your data within your existing budget. You will not require any additional software.
Price: Free trial is available on various Sophos products including Endpoint Protection.
Best for small to large businesses.
Code42 provides a data security solution for collaborative and remote enterprises. It will provide visibility into off-network file activities like web uploads and cloud sync apps. It can quickly detect, investigate, and respond to data exfiltration by remote employees.
It supports Windows, Mac, and Linux platforms. For Cloud Services, Microsoft OneDrive, Google Drive, and Box are supported by Code42.
- Code42 provides activity alerts based on file type, size, or the count.
- You will be able to access detailed user activity profiles and can speed the investigation
- The tool enables secure collaboration by validating proper use of sanctioned collaboration tools and uncovering shadow IT applications that may indicate gaps in the corporate tools or training.
- Code42 will pinpoint risky activity.
Verdict: Code42 offers a cloud-native solution for Data Loss Prevention that will help security teams safeguard data. There will be no complex policy management or lengthy deployments. It will not obstruct user productivity and collaboration.
Price: Code42 offers two pricing plans, Incydr Basic and Incydr Advanced. You can get a quote for pricing details. A free trial is available for 60 days.
#10) Check Point
Best for small to large businesses, service providers, and consumers.
The Check Point Data Loss Prevention tool is the solution to protect your business from unintentional data loss. It contains the functionalities of tracking data movement and pre-emptive data loss prevention. It is easy to deploy and manage. With the help of Check Point, you will be able to centrally manage your IT infrastructure from a single console. The DLP is part of Check Point Infinity Architecture.
- Check Point will give you full visibility and control over sensitive data.
- It will track all DLP events.
- It can mitigate incidents in real-time.
- It can scan and secure SSL/TLS encrypted traffic that is passing through a gateway.
Verdict: Check Point will empower your team to work with confidence by staying compliant with regulations and industry standards.
Price: You can get a quote for pricing details. Check Point offers a free trial and a free demo.
Website: Check Point
Best for small to medium-sized businesses.
Safetica DLP Solution is a cost-effective solution and contains functionalities for security audits and protection of sensitive data. It will give you visibility on what is happening in your organization. It will let you control who can access the data. It can perform a behavior analysis.
This will find out how employees work, print, and use expensive software. It has flexible DLP modes. Safetica will notify you in real-time if an incident happens.
- Safetica performs an audit of data transfers.
- It has features of Data Discovery and Data Channel Filtering. It provides a workflow for classified data.
- Device control features will define the devices that can be used and can eliminate risks of BYOD.
- It has the features of User Activity Audit and Management.
- It has many more features such as Drive Encryption, Alerts, Reports, etc.
Verdict: Safetica Data Loss Prevention solution is easy to use and cost-effective. The solution will help you to identify problems in internal processes and implement solutions.
Price: Safetica is available in three editions: Safetica Auditor, Safetica DLP, and Safetica DLP + Safetica Mobile. The demo is available to try.
There is explosive growth in data and hence it is becoming difficult for businesses to track, protect, and manage sensitive data within corporate borders. DLP Solutions helps businesses with preventing data leakage and responding to incidents.
We have selected Endpoint Protector by CoSoSys and Symantec DLP as the best Data Loss Prevention Software solution overall.
The Symantec DLP, McAfee DLP, Forcepoint DLP, and SecureTrust DLP are our other top recommended Data Loss Prevention Solutions. Most of these DLP vendors follow a quote-based pricing model. Some vendors offer a demo on request. A free trial is available for Forcepoint DLP, Sophos, Code42, and Check Point.
Suggested reading =>> How to encrypt emails
- Time taken to research this article: 28 Hours
- Total tools researched: 17
- Top tools shortlisted: 11
We hope this detailed article will help you compare and select a top DLP Software for your business.