List of the top GUI Testing Tools with the comparison:
Any application or website can be considered good if it is user-friendly and easy to manage. But the very first thing that catches user’s attention is the look and feel of the application i.e.; GUI (Graphical User Interface).
Hence GUI Testing becomes important to remove loopholes in the design and gain users attraction towards the system. In today’s era of digitization, GUT Testing is not limited up to desktop computers, it is expanding its edges on smartphones and tablets like electronic gadgets.
Let us have a closer look towards GUI Testing in this article. We will learn what is GUI Testing exactly performed for and some other concepts related to it. The focus will be on how we can automate GUI Testing by using GUI Testing Tools.
What You Will Learn:
- What is GUI Testing?
- Top GUI Testing Tools in 2021
- #1) RAPISE by Inflectra
- #2) Abbot Java GUI Test Framework
- #3) AutoIt UI testing
- #4) CubicTest
- #5) eggPlant UI Automation Testing
- #6) FitNesse
- #7) Ascentialtest
- #8) iMacros
- #9) Ranorex Studio
- #10) Maveryx user interface testing tool
- #11) RIATest
- #12) SilkTest
- #13) Sikuli UI automation framework
- #14) Squish GU testing tool
What is GUI Testing?
1) GUI Testing is the process of testing GUI of the application to identify defects occurred in it during the design stage
2) It is performed for verifying the functionality of GUI as per specifications and depends on the technology used
3) GUI Testing also evaluates controls like menus, buttons, icons, text boxes, lists, dialog boxes, layouts, color, font sizes, text formatting etc
4) GUI Testing can be performed manually or automatically with the help of tools often performed by the third-party company rather than developers or users
5) It is used to execute values of properties for each GUI object and exercise GUI events like key press or mouse click
The following list suggests what should be exactly checked while performing GUI Testing;
- Screen Validations
- Size and position of GUI elements
- Clear and well-aligned images
- Navigations (links)
- Font and alignment of text
- Date and numeric fields
- Usability conditions and data integrity
- Error messages
- Required fields
- Abbreviations inconsistencies
- Progress bars
Approaches for GUI Testing
#1) Manual Based Testing:
Testers apply their knowledge and test the graphical screen as per business requirements.
#2) Record and Replay:
This is achieved using automation tools and their Record and Replay actions. Test steps are captured in the automation tool during Record and recorded steps are then executed on the application under test during Replay/Playback.
#3) Model-Based Testing:
Model-Based Testing is performed as per system behavior. These models can be categorized in 3 types such as;
- Event-based model: Based on GUI events that are to occur at least once
- State-based model: Based on GUI states exercised at least once
- Domain model: Based on domain and functionality of the application
With the above 3 models following requirements also need to be followed;
- Build the model
- Specify inputs to the model
- Determine expected outputs
- Execute tests
- Compare actual and expected results
- Decide future actions to be taken
Top GUI Testing Tools in 2021
Mobile application testing can be manual or automated. There are several tools used for it, not all but some of them are listed below according to popularity and usage.
#1) RAPISE by Inflectra
Rapise provides an all-in-one test automation solution. It can test desktop, mobile, the web (including with Selenium support), Java applications, and even APIs (REST and SOAP). Its learning and tracking tools are robust and designed to work with even the most complicated applications across many types of connection.
Rapise – An Ultimate IDE for Testers!
#2) Abbot Java GUI Test Framework
- Abbot Java GUI Test Framework is used testing Java GUI
- This framework is used with the script and compiled code
- It consists of GUI references and performs user actions on GUI components
- Provides unit testing and functional testing for AWT and SWING
- This is an open-source framework available for free use and possesses features like Record and Replay
Download Link: Abbot Java GUI Test Framework.
#3) AutoIt UI testing
- AutoIt is freeware scripting language with basic structures used to automate Windows GUI and general scripting
- It is a self-contained commercial tool which is a combination of keystrokes, mouse movements, and Windows Manipulation
- Tool avails COM support and script compilation with standalone executables
- The tool encompasses Built-in Editor, Basic-like Syntax, Rich function set etc.
Download Link: AutoIt
- CubicTest is an open-source Eclipse plugin that helps for testing web application to design and understand, no matter if the user has any technical knowledge or not
- It uses GUI for model testing instead of test scripts and enables test-driven development of web application
- Replaces requirement specifications and manual test scripts with CubicTest case designs
Download Link: CubicTest
#5) eggPlant UI Automation Testing
- eggPlant is a commercial GUI Automation and Software Testing tool designed by TestPlant
- It is good for GUI Testing and is used for the entire testing process
- It uses VNC to look at SUT and send mouse and keyboard commands
- Can test any device, any operating system, and any technology. Create tests quickly via eggDrive interface
- We can integrate eggplant into Jenkins, IBM Rotational Quality Manager and Micro Focus Quality Centre for performing end to end QA process
- FitNesse is an open-source framework used for Collaborative Acceptance Testing Able to run against an app on one or more devices
- It is a lightweight tool helps to decide what should software exactly do and what it actually does
- It can run on machine or server and available with all in one package
Download Link: FitNesse
- Ascentialtest is designed for reducing time and efforts of test case creation and maintenance
- Provides a visual environment for creating test component just through drag and drop feature
- Facilitates test planning, test data management, test execution, manual and automated test development, defect tracking and reporting
Download Link: Ascentialtest
- Basically, iMacros is known as an extension for Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome and Internet Explorer with Record and Replay functionality
- It has supportive features for web scripting, internet server monitoring, and web testing
- It is a commercial tool which can automate Adobe Flash, Adobe Flex, Silverlight, Java Applets etc.
- Integrates with business data and Excel automates Ajax Testing and functional, performance and regression testing for browsers
Download Link: iMacros
#9) Ranorex Studio
Ranorex Studio is a commercial Windows GUI test automation tool used by over 4000 companies worldwide for testing on desktop, web, and mobile applications. It is easy for beginners with a codeless click-and-go interface and helpful wizards, but powerful for automation experts with a full IDE. See all the supported technologies here.
- Reliable object identification, even for web elements with dynamic IDs.
- Shareable object repository and reusable code modules for efficient test creation and reduced maintenance.
- Customizable test report with video reporting of test execution.
- Run tests in parallel or distribute on a Selenium Grid with built-in Selenium Webdriver.
- Customizable test report.
- Integrates with tools like Jira, Jenkins, TestRail, Git, Travis CI, and more.
#10) Maveryx user interface testing tool
- Maveryx is a test automation tool for functional, regression, data-driven and GUI testing especially for all Java and Android applications
- Maveryx takes snapshots of running application user interface to identify UI element to test automatically
- This is an open-source as well as a commercial tool that having interfaces and plugin architecture to support custom controls
- It is a cross-platform that runs a standalone application or as Eclipse plugin
Download Link: Maveryx
- RIATest is added to the continuous integration system to find out issues quickly
- Helps to create a readable test script, uses the component inspector to recognize GUI elements
- It is a commercial tool that allows customized error handling through logging the error or throwing an exception
Download Link: RIATest
- SilkTest is a tool for automates functional and regression testing
- It is a commercial tool that is used to create robust and portable functional tests
- It facilitates test cases for the web, native and other software applications
- Provides cross-browser support, mobile browser support, fast test execution etc
Download Link: SilkTest
#13) Sikuli UI automation framework
- Sikuli is an open source framework to automate GUI testing
- It uses Sikuli script that can be used to automate anything on screen without the support of internal API
- It provides support for web pages, desktop application on Windows, Linux, Mac, iPhone, and Android too
Download Link: Sikuli
#14) Squish GU testing tool
- Squish is a commercial tool for GUI automation testing
- Facilitates verification of properties, screenshots, images, complex data, external files, and databases
- Possesses Eclipse-based integrated test development environment
Download Link: Squish
- SWTBot is an open-source Java-based cross-platform for GUI and functional testing
- It basically supports platform which runs Eclipse as it is based on Eclipse plug-ins and Eclipse RCP based application
- It provides APIs that are easy to read and write
Download Link: SWTBot
- Selenium is known as an umbrella project that enables web browser testing for all browsers
- It is implemented as a Firefox extension allowing record, edit and debug
- It is an open source free application supports GUI Testing and web functional testing
- Also supports some scripting languages like Java, C#, Python etc.
Download Link: Selenium
#17) Test Studio
- Telerik TestStudio is commercial Windows-based software testing tool with Visual Studio plugins
- It facilitates web and desktop (GUI) functional testing, performance testing and mobile app testing with Record and Replay features
- Can be used for all browsers such as IE, Firefox, Chrome, Safari
Download Link: TestStudio
- TestComplete is a commercial platform for web, mobile, and GUI testing
- It is a low-cost affordable tool for rapid and accurate testing
- Supports data-driven testing, object-driven testing, keyword-driven testing along with database testing support
- Integrated with other tools and comes with Test Editor, Debugger, and Code Editor
Download Link: TestComplete
#19) Test Anywhere
- Test Anywhere is commercial software testing tool which does not require any programming
- Supports features like Record, Replay and run complex test cases
- Provides GUI and Front-end testing with an object-based and image-based test editor
- Single testing platform and based on testing methodologies like Waterfall, Agile, V, Spiral and RUP/RAD
Download Link: Test Anywhere
- TestPrtner is a commercial automated testing tool designed and developed by Micro Focus
- Follows business process through visual and storyboard oriented approach
- Provides VBA scripting and facilitates teamwork for users, developers, and testers
- Automates regression testing and generates an object-oriented script
Download Link: TestPartner
#21) Jubula GUI testing tool
- Jubula is an automated GUI testing which is used as an alternative for GUIDancer
- It is as better as GUIDancer and used to perform functional GUI testing
- It can also serve integration, system and acceptance testing
- A free tool supports Windows and Linux platform and provides toolkit support for Java Swing applications, SWT applications, Eclipse RPC applications, HTML and iOS application
Download Link: Jubula
- GTTis GUI testing tool used for Java Swing based application
- Applied to test-driven development and comes with capture and replay functionalities for GUI testing
- It is an open source tool that uses Jemmy events as its event model
- For verifying accuracy it uses view-assertion and model-assertion mechanism
Download Link: GTT
- IcuTest is a unit testing framework for GUI testing that helps to create simple and manageable tests
- It is a proprietary tool which does not support record and replay feature but performs testing automatically and rapidly
- Provides wide code coverage and finds bugs quickly
- No need to start the entire app for testing and can also test individual GUI components
Download Link: IcuTest
- QF–Test is a professional automated testing tool for web, Java & Windows application’s GUI.
- Powerful and robust tool for Java Swing, AWT, SWT, Eclipse-plugins, RCP, ULC, Captain Casa, WebStart, JavaFX, JxBrowser, SWT-Browser, JavaFX Webview applications.
- Cross-browser on all common browsers for also all common AJAX toolkits and frameworks like Angular, React, GWT, etc. Webswing and Electron applications.
- This tool supports cross-browser testing and provides reusable tests.
- Native Windows applications like Win32, .Net based on WPF or Windows Forms, Windows Apps, UWP, and modern C++ applications.
- PDF documents
- It is available for developers and testers and proven user-friendly with comprehensive documentation.
Download Link: QF – Test
- QAliber automates tests for GUI testing with the record and replay functionality
- Basically, it has two projects such as QAliber Test Builder and QAliber Test Developer
- QAliber Test Builder provides complete GUI test management
- Open source tool that stores test cases with all details
Download Link: QAliber
#26) RCP Testing Tool
- RCP testing tool is used for GUI automation testing for Eclipse-based application
- Provides test case creation productivity and strong support to Eclipse technology
- Maintainable, extensible and generates useful and reliable results
- Initially, it was commercial but in the year of 2014 it has been released as an open source tool
Download Link: RCP Testing Tool
- Sahi is an Automation testing tool that is used for testing web application and available with both open source and proprietary versions
- Proprietary version comes additional features and report customization
- Open source version has been hosted by SourceForge and proprietary version is hosted by Sahi Pro Website
Download Link: Sahi
- Parasoft Soatest is a testing tool that is used to validate the API-driven application
- It is also used for functional unit testing, integration testing, regression testing, system testing, security testing and web UI testing
- Supports runtime error detection. Load testing and introduces Service Virtualization
- Proprietary tool facilitates advance intelligence for automation test generation
Download Link: Soatest
#30) Telerik Testing Framework
- Telerik Testing framework is a free tool that has rich API for preparing maintainable functional test cases
- Helps to set dynamic page elements, animations, and custom UI controls
- Comes with cross-browser compatibility and automates tests for AJAX, HTML5 and XAML application
Download Link: Telerik Testing Framework
#31) Telerik Test Studio GUI testing tool
- Telerik Test Studio is a proprietary Windows-based tool for web and desktop
- Used for functional testing, performance testing, load testing and testing mobile apps developed by Telerik
- Enables scriptless record and replay functionality and facilitates cross-browser testing
- Supports HTML, AJAX, Silverlight application testing and automated data-driven testing
- Integrates with Bug-tracking tool and Micro Focus Quality Center
Download Link: Telerik Test Studio
#32) Tellurium Automated Testing Framework
- Tellurium Automated Testing Framework is an open-source automated testing framework for web application
- It is developed from the Selenium framework and built on UI module concept available for developers and testers
- Tellurium works in two modes first one is a wrapper to the Selenium Framework and the second one uses Tellurium Engine
- Tellurium UI templates have been used to represent dynamic web content and support cross-browser testing
Download Link: Tellurium Automated Testing Framework
#33) TestStack.White Framework
- White is an open source UI automation tool written in C# and based on Win32, WinForm, WPF and Java SWT
- It much depends on (based on) .NET hence do not require any scripting language
- Handles complex UI automation and enables consistent object-oriented API
- White has been replaced by TestStack.White
Download Link: White
#34) UI Automation Powershell Extensions
- This is free tool contains UI module that helps easy implementation of GUI automation testing
- It is based on UI Automation library which is part of .NET Framework 3.0
- Currently supports Win32, Windows Form, Java SWT and Delphi applications ( Delphi applications allows to create GUI or Console application)
Download Link: UI Automation Powershell Extensions
- Watir stands for Web Application Testing in Ruby is an open source used for automated web browser testing.
- It is written in Ruby and supports all apps regardless of technology.
- Categorized into 3 main categories such as Watir-classic, Watir-webdriver and Watirspec.
- Proven as lightweight, powerful and easy to use.
Download Link: Watir
#36) Coded UI
- This tool generates automated tests for user interface of your application
- Generally performs functional testing for your UI including individual UI control you have used
- Focuses on validations and other logic involved in UI design and also can be used for creating data-driven tests
- It requires Visual Studio Enterprise as it is part of Visual Studio IDE and supports Operating systems like Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 10
- Commercial tool can be used by tester and developers and used frequently
Download Link: Microsoft Coded UI
#37) Micro Focus Unified Functional Testing (UFT)
- Micro Focus Unified Functional Testing (UFT) was well known as Micro Focus QuickTest Professional
- New form of the tool incorporates best features of QuickTest Professional, WinRunner and Micro Focus Service Test
- Micro Focus UFT provide a strong and effective framework for GUI and API testing
- It generates functional tests that can be performed automatically causes an increase in speed and cost-effectiveness
- Proprietary tool that gives best results in Regression Testing and helpful to record each action performed by user on GUI
Download Link: Micro Focus Unified Functional Testing (UFT)
- Cucumber is a free use open source Behavior Driven Development tool
- It requires use of Ruby and it is written in Ruby itself
- Apart from Ruby it can support other languages and applications too
- Executes plain-text functional description as automated tests
- Supports JVM, .NET, Python, Adobe Flex, PHP, WebDriver, Selenium, Waitr etc
- It focuses on system behavior instead of GUI testing specifically
Download Link: Cucumber
- LoadUI Pro is load testing tool comes with both commercial and open source versions and designed by SmartBear
- Enables visual drag and drop interface and easy creation and configuration of load test
- Supports web testing which includes functional testing, usability testing, user interface testing, database testing, compatibility testing, performance testing, security testing etc.
- Supports protocols like SOAP/WSDL, REST, Http/Https, JDBC, POX etc.
Download Link: LoadUI
GUI testing is necessary to improve the quality of an application. It is important but sometimes seems costly. GUI testing is better to perform using tools rather than manually. Tools help to detect loopholes in a better way.
In the above article, we have seen some featured and dedicated GUI testing tools as per necessity and need. Automated GUI testing helps testers and developers to perform testing more accurately and within time constraints.