List and Comparison of the Best Functional Testing Tools:
Here, in this article, we have listed the best functional testing tools that can be used to fulfill your functional testing needs.
You can explore the best tool based on your project requirements. Almost every high-level company is working on automation in today's world. Just being a manual tester will affect one’s career for sure. You need to know something called automation to boost your skill and get shortlisted for good companies.
It's now the right time to know more about the need for Functional Testing tools.
But which tools we should opt is really a confusing one. The market is full of a number of automation tools for test management, load testing, GUI testing, functional testing, etc. My suggestion would be to opt for a tool which is on-demand, easy to learn as per your skills, generic and effective for the required type of testing.
Here, I am trying to monitor and serve all the possible top functional tools. One can choose the best one as per the requirement of the environment, organization, cost, skills etc.
What You Will Learn:
- Most Popular Functional Testing Tools
- #1) Ranorex Studio
- #2) test IO
- #3) Digivante
- #4) Selenium
- #5) Telerik Test Studio
- #6) Coded UI Test
- #7) Micro Focus Unified Functional Testing (UFT)
- #8) Sahi
- #9) TimeShiftX
- #10) SoapUI
- #11) TestComplete
- #12) IBM Rational Functional Tester
- #13) Watir
- #14) Micro Focus Silk Test
- #15) Tricentis Tosca Testsuite
- #16) Rapise
- #17) QA Wizard
- #18) AutoIt
- #19) Robotium
- Additional Tools
- Recommended Reading
Most Popular Functional Testing Tools
Here is the list and comparison of the top functional test tools.
#1) Ranorex Studio
Ranorex Studio is a commercial Windows GUI test automation tool that supports functional UI testing on desktop, web, and mobile applications. Used by over 4,000 companies worldwide, Ranorex Studio is easy for beginners with a codeless click-and-go interface and helpful wizards, but powerful for automation experts with a full IDE. See all the supported technologies here.
- Reliable object identification, even for web elements with dynamic IDs.
- Shareable object repository and reusable code modules for efficient test creation and reduced maintenance.
- Customizable test report with video reporting of test execution – see what happened in a test run without having to re-run the test!
- Run tests in parallel or distribute them on a Selenium Grid with built-in Selenium Webdriver support.
- Integrates with tools like Jira, Jenkins, TestRail, Git, Travis CI, and more.
#2) test IO
test IO Description: Make sure that your web apps, websites and mobile apps work everywhere by running functional tests on real devices, real browsers, and under real-world conditions.
Running functional tests with test IO lets you call upon the skill and insight of thousands of testing professionals to improve the quality of your websites and mobile apps. Over two hundred customer-obsessed organizations rely on the power and flexibility of test IO to ship high-quality software faster.
- Test on real devices – Expand your coverage to hundreds of devices, platforms, and real people in real-world conditions. Make sure your software works everywhere.
- Get feedback from real humans – Our professional testers have fresh and unbiased eyes on your product. Testers find bugs that your internal team might not catch.
- Release faster – Human-powered doesn’t mean slow. Remove the QA bottleneck with on-demand, flexible testing that scales up with your needs.
Digivante sets the standard for regression, usability and conversion testing.
It performs 24 days' worth of testing in just 24 hours, with results then undergoing secondary authentication by in-house teams who validate and prioritize the bugs in the order of severity, through video and screenshot evidence.
What sets Digivante apart from other testing companies is its dedication towards providing customer-made testing which saves you time and money, ensuring your website stays ahead of the curve for years to come. It goes beyond customer expectations and provides quality testing.
- 55,000+ professional testers in 149 countries.
- Up to 200 scripted tests in 4 hours.
- Rapid deployment of testers – 24/7.
- Over 440 device/browser combinations.
- Detailed real-world tests – including video evidence.
- Highly experienced Solutions Consultants managing your testing schedule.
Selenium is an open source functional testing tool and one can download and use it without any cost. It is supported by the Apache 2.0 license. It is a web application testing product and it accepts many languages to write its test scripts, the languages namely include C#, Java, Perl, PHP, Python, Ruby and Groovy. It can be deployed on Windows, MAC OS, and Linux.
Selenium can be learned in two parts – Selenium IDE and Selenium WebDriver or Selenium RC. Selenium IDE is nothing but the record and play part of the tool. And it’s better to use Selenium Web driver for testing web applications. The Selenium Web – driver is an advanced form of Selenium RC, which takes care of the later limitations.
- It’s an Open source product.
- Accepts multiple languages for test scripts.
- Easy to use and has many active users/organizations.
Official website: Selenium
#5) Telerik Test Studio
This is one of the most simple and user-friendly testing tools in the market. It provides functional, exploratory, performance as well as load testing solutions. Though it’s not free, its subscription to download the complete tool along with its license is available at a reasonable amount of $170 per month.
It comes with Visual Studio plug-in, hence in order to bring the best out of this tool, one must know the visual script.
- Very user-friendly.
- Limited coding in the visual script is required.
- With a built setup and configuration.
- It supports multiple browsers.
- Parallel execution of test scripts is possible here.
- All the locators are inbuilt and centralized.
- The test scripts can be used again.
- Test maintenance cost is very less.
Official website: Telerik Test Studio
#6) Coded UI Test
CUI test is a Microsoft tool. To use this tool the user shall need visual studio 2013 virtual machine which is also a Microsoft product. Its latest version was released with VS 2013.
By using the CUI test tool one can completely automate tests for validating the functionality and the behavior of the application. Before considering this tool, one must check for the latest cost of the CUI test tool and VSTS licenses cost with Microsoft.
- Easy to install and set up.
- Less use of scripting.
- Understands tables and its contents very logically.
- The database manager is XML based.
- User support and documentation are easily accessible.
Official website: Coded UI Test
#7) Micro Focus Unified Functional Testing (UFT)
Unified Functional Testing (UFT) is an automation tool introduced by Micro Focus for functional and regression testing. It's also known as the latest version 11.5 of QTP (Quick Test Professional).
The UFT is a combination of Micro Focus QTP (GUI testing tool) and Micro Focus Service Test (API testing tool). In this tool, Visual basic scripting is used to automate the scripts. Here, users can combine manual, automated and framework based test scripts in one IDE.
- It supports Web, Siebel, people-soft, Java .Net, SAP, Oracle, Web Services, and many other languages and platforms.
- Provides extended support for mobile testing (smartphone, tablets).
- It can be combined with QC and is easy to schedule and monitor.
- Very simple to use, understand, navigate and generate reports of validation results.
- Its license is very costly and works on Windows OS only.
- Its scripting process is easy and takes less time, but the execution of scripts is a time taking process.
Official website: UFT
Sahi is an open-source automation testing tool. It is easy to set up and understand the concept of the record and playback scripts. Sahi being an open source provides limited functionality when compared to the other open source tools.
- This tool is basically for testers using Agile and traditional environments for web applications.
- It is a browser and OS independent.
- It supports data-driven testing by connecting to Excel or CSV file.
- Low cost and low time are required for maintenance.
- Scripts and playbacks are easy to create and maintain.
- Introducing Sahi automation to manual testers is easy and comfortable.
Official website: Sahi
TimeShiftX is a date simulation software that lets your time travel software into the future or past for temporal testing of all date sensitive functionality and code such as year-end, daylight savings, leap year, billing, rates, policies, etc.
TimeShiftX uses virtual clocks to enable time travel inside the Active Directory without changing system clocks, editing code or isolating servers.
- Instant Time Travel: No system clock changes are needed. Just enable TimeShiftX and start time shift testing your software.
- Active Directory Compatibility: Safely time travel inside Active Directory, Kerberos, LDAP, and other domain authentication protocols.
- Total Software Compatibility: TimeShiftX enables time-shifting for all applications and databases such as SAP, SQL, Oracle, WAS, and .NET.
- Cross-Platform Time Travel: TimeShiftX is compatible with all platforms, operating systems, containers, and cloud environments.
Official website: TimeShiftX
This is an excellent open-source tool for functional, load, compliance and security testing to test/work with SOA (service-oriented architectures) and REST (representational state transfers) web services.
SOAPUI PRO is the commercial version which has additional features to increase productivity. SOAPUI is cross-platform and also supports IDEA, Eclipse, and NetBeans. Apart from testing, this tool can be used in inspecting, invoking, development, simulation, and mocking.
- It is a very simple and completely open-source testing tool for technical as well as the non-technical user.
- Includes advanced functionality like a comprehensive view of the project, easy data-driven tests, powerful HTTP monitor, etc.
- Strong, easy and flexible reporting tools: Printable, HTML reports, and Data Export.
- One can create one’s own plug-in or can use any existing third-party plug-ins.
Official website: SoapUI
TestComplete is a great functional testing tool for Web, Desktop as well as Mobile Applications. In order to create the test scripts, the user can use different languages like JScript, VBScript, C++, C#, etc.
- Keyword and Scripted, both types of testing can be done with this tool.
- It can execute many tests at the same time in different virtual machines.
- It supports many bug tracking tools like Bugzilla, Jira, VS 2005, team system etc.
- It uses an object-based approach to automate tests. Hence accepts the GUI and other control changes.
Official website: TestComplete
#12) IBM Rational Functional Tester
This is one of the most popular tools for automated testing. With the help of this automated testing tool and it's defect management framework, a tester can link all the tests with the requirements and the design documents. The test scripts produced by recording are either in Java or in visual basic.Net.
One can perform functional, regression, GUI and data-driven testing with this tool.
- It provides a 30-day trial version with all the free help of using this tool successfully.
- It supports a variety of applications like web-based, Adobe PDF documents, terminal emulator based applications, .Net applications, Java applications, SAP, PowerBuilder, Ajax, and many more.
Official website: IBM Rational Functional Tester
Watir (Web Application Testing in Ruby) is an open source tool for automating web applications. It’s divided into three smaller portions: Watir classic, Watir WebDriver, and Watirspec.
Watir classic supports only IE on windows, but Watir WebDriver supports all the web browsers. Watir WebDriver is a modern version of Watir and is based on Selenium.
- Tests are easy to read, maintain and understand.
- It's free of cost.
- It supports all types of web applications that are developed in any technology.
- It supports many browsers.
Official website: Watir
#14) Micro Focus Silk Test
Borland Silk automation testing tool is one of the best tools for maximizing effectiveness, speed and cost-efficiency of applications. This tool provides the best solutions for the web and mobile technologies to the QA, developers, and non-technical stakeholders.
Borland Silktest 13 is the latest version which provides playback support for web applications running in Google Chrome and Firefox 7 on Firefox 11.
- Cross-browser testing is easy with minimum complexity and cost.
- Supports a broad range of most common technologies.
- Keyword-driven testing enables members of different roles to work closely.
- Mobile testing is faster and easier by using the single test script for desktop and mobile browsers.
Official website: Micro Focus Silk Test
#15) Tricentis Tosca Testsuite
Tricentis Tosca Testsuite is a very effective end to end functional testing tool. Its latest version is Tricentis Tosca Testsuite 9.0 with the new features to enhance its efficiency. This tool is better as it uses a modern model-based approach that is tested in Agile method development.
It tries to create test cases that are independent of the software technologies and provides them in business language that everyone can understand easily. Hence the test cases are created in less time and can be used as manual tests or automated test scripts. Its approach is very effective in maintaining tests with the recurring changes throughout the sprint cycles of Agile methods.
- Very effective for modern Agile method based model.
- Covers maximum business risks.
- User interface and visual representation are very good.
- Very good use of DB Expert module.
- Test module can be used for different technologies and platforms.
- Can be easily maintained by non-technical users.
Official website: Tricentis Tosca Testsuite
Rapise is an automated functional testing tool for web applications and GUI applications (client-server and standalone applications). It has a great inbuilt feature to support different technologies, browsers, and environments. Some of them are object manager, drag-drop IDE, data-driven testing, hybrid applications, API testing, etc.
- It is very fast and flexible.
- Very good for GUI application testing.
- Supports Agile software projects testing.
- Learn and Go feature for creating test scripts in lesser time.
- Available in cloud version in Amazon web services with payment for the usage.
Official website: Rapise
#17) QA Wizard
QA Wizard is a testing solution for functional testing, load testing, and stress testing. A tester can use the same set of functional test scripts for getting performance and stress quality of an application. Like other tools, this tool also supports a variety of technologies like HTML 5, Ajax, .Net, Active X, Oracle Forms, Infragistics controls, QT, etc.
It also supports cross-browser testing using the same set of scripts. It costs $25 per month, including annual maintenance that is free support and upgrades.
- It’s an all in one automation tool for functional, regression, load and stress test of an application.
- It can automate, windows, Java, and web-based applications.
- With a low investment, it requires less training time.
Official website: QA Wizard
AutoIt is a simple freeware tool to automate windows based task. It works for actions like key presses, win commands and mouse movements. Other versions of AutoIt are AutoItX (ActiveX control version) and AutoItDLL (DLL version). Its scripts can be compressed and stand-alone executed on computers which do not have AutoIt interpreter installed.
- Supports protocols like TCP and UDP.
- Supports component object modeling objects.
- Can handle windows and processes.
- Scripts can be compressed into a stand-alone executable.
Official website: AutoIt
Robotium is an open-source testing tool for Android applications. This is similar to Selenium but very easy to use because of its simple API. Apart from functional, it can also be used for system and User acceptance testing.
- It has a simple API, hence it is easy to learn and write test cases.
- Good for android and hybrid applications.
- Takes less time in execution.
Official website: Robotium
Official website: Vtest
#21) Q Engine
Along with functional testing, Q Engine is capable of testing a website or web service on Windows and Linux with capability testing, Stress testing, Regressed testing, Performance testing, etc.
Official website: Q Engine
This testing tool is made for continuous integration and continuous delivery type environment and hence it is best in the cloud-based platform. It supports more than 700 combinations of browsers, OS and device platforms.
Official website: SauceLabs
TestDrive is a fast automation tool that requires no scripting language. It supports platforms like Windows/Linux and many languages like Java, .Net, AJAX, Oracle, etc.
Official website: TestDrive
Cucumber is an open-source testing tool that is written in the Ruby language. This tool works best for behavior-driven development. But it can also be used to test other languages like Java, C#, and Python. Cucumber for testing uses some Ruby programming.
Official website: Cucumber
#25) Canoo WebTest
Canoo WebTest is also an open-source testing tool for web applications. It requires XML for scripting the tests. By using XSLT, a user can also create system documentation from test scripts.
Official website: Canoo WebTest
Marathon is a testing tool that is made up of JAVA/SWING for testing GUI applications. It is extremely simple and open-source tool. The use is not required to know Java or swing to work with it. However, the scripts are in Python.
This tool is mainly used for functional testing with acceptance tests and end-user tests.
Official website: Marathon
TestMaker is an automation platform for different types of applications like Web, SOA (Service Oriented Architecture), RIA (Rich Internet Application) and BPM (Business Process Management). It adapts tests for different uses which are already written in Selenium, SOAPUI, PHP, Ruby, etc.
Its enterprise can be used as a complete package for functional, load and performance testing along with business service monitoring.
Official website: TestMaker
#28) Max Q
Max Q is an open source web application testing tool. It provides all important features like HTTP test recording, test scripting and test running. It is written in Java and generates test scripts in PYTHON.
Official website: Max Q
#29) Oracle Application Testing Suite by Oracle
The Oracle application testing tool belongs to the family of the Oracle Enterprise Manager product. It is capable of doing many types of automated testing including functional and regression testing of web applications, web services, Oracle applications, and Oracle database.
The tool uses the Eclipse-based scripting platform for functional and regression test scripts called OpenScript. By using JAVA the user can enhance/customize the scripts.
Official website: Oracle Application testing suite by Oracle
#30) Parasoft Jtest by ParaSoft.com
Jtest is an automation tool by Parasoft for Java software testing and Static analysis. Apart from this, the tool is having many other important features. Hence it is used by many companies like Cisco, Wipro etc. on the license.
Official website: Parasoft Jtest by ParaSoft.com
#31) Certify Execution Manager by WorkSoft.com
Using the Certify Execution manager is like following a set of processes to ensure the quality of the system. The set of processes includes grouping test scenarios, setting the orders/priorities of tasks, managing dependencies, and availability of resources during automation testing.
Official website: Certify Execution manager by WorkSoft.com
#32) Touchtest by Soasta.com
Touchtest automation tool is basically for mobile testing, it includes functional testing and regression testing. This tool is efficient in recording and replaying all the mobile applications with full accuracy for performance and functional testing.
Official website: Touchtest by Soasta.com
#33) SmarteScript by Smartesoft.com
SmarteScript is easy for new users but it also provides strong functionalities for experienced users. No language skills are required to use this tool. It supports many platforms like All Microsoft .NET compilers, Java, AJAX, IE, VB6, Microsoft Visual C++, Intel C++, Microsoft Visual Basic, and Console.
Official website: SmarteScript by Smartesoft.com
Feel free to pick any tool from the above list based on your project requirement!!