Today, in this article we have listed the best functional testing tools for your functional testing needs. Explore the best tool for your project requirements.
Today, almost every high-level company is working on automation. Just being a manual tester is for sure going to affect one’s career. You have to know something called automation to boost your skill and get shortlisted for good companies.
Assuming, if you are looking for testing tools, then you must not need to be educated on why we need testing tools. So let’s skip that part.
But which tools we should opt is really confusing. The market is full of a number of automation tools for test management, load testing, GUI testing, functional testing, etc. My suggestion is any tool which is on demand, easy to learn as per your skills, generic and effective for the required type of testing.
Here, I am trying to monitor and serve all possible top functional tools. One can choose the best one as per the requirement of the environment, organisation, cost, skills etc.
Top Best Functional Testing Tools:
Below are some functional open sources as well as licensed testing tools.
Official website: – Selenium
Description: Selenium is an open source functional testing tool and one can download and use it without any cost. It is supported by the Apache 2.0 license . It is a web application testing product and accepts many languages to write its test scripts, which includes C#, Java, Perl, PHP, Python, Ruby and Groovy. It can be deployed on Windows, MAC OS, and Linux.
Selenium can be learned in two parts – Selenium IDE and Selenium WebDriver or Selenium RC. Selenium IDE is nothing but the record and plays a part of the tool. While it’s better to use Selenium Web driver for testing web applications. The Selenium Web – driver is an advanced form of Selenium RC, which takes care of later limitations.
- It’s an Open source product.
- Accepts multiple languages for test scripts.
- Easy to use and have many active users/organizations.
#2) Telerik Test Studio
Official website: – Telerik Test Studio
Description: This is one of the most simple and user-friendly testing tools in the market. It provides functional, exploratory, performance as well as load testing solutions. Although it’s not free, but its subscription to download the complete tool along with its license is in a reasonable amount of $170 per month. It comes with Visual Studio plug-in hence; to bring the best out of this tool one must know the visual script.
- Very user-friendly.
- Limited coding in a visual script is required.
- With built setup and configuration.
- It supports multiple browsers.
- In this, parallel execution of test scripts is possible.
- All the locators are inbuilt and centralized stored.
- The test scripts can be used again.
- Test maintenance cost is very less.
#3) Coded UI Test
Official website: – Coded UI Test
Description: CUI test is a Microsoft tool. To use this tool the user shall need visual studio 2013 virtual machine which is also a Microsoft product. Its latest version was released with VS 2013.
By using the CUI test tool one can completely automate tests for validating the functionality and the behavior of the application. Before considering this tool, one must check for the latest cost of the CUI test tool and VSTS licenses cost with Microsoft.
- Easy to install and set up.
- Less use of scripting.
- Understands tables and its contents very logically.
- The database manager is XML based.
- User support and documentation is easily accessible.
Official website: – UFT
Description: Unified Functional Testing (UFT) is an automation tool introduced by HP (Hewlett Packard) for functional and regression testing. It’s also known as the latest version 11.5 of QTP (Quick Test Professional).
The UFT is a combination of HP QTP (GUI testing tool) and HP Service Test (API testing tool). In this tool, Visual basic scripting is used to automate the scripts. Here, users can combine manual, automated and framework based test scripts in one IDE
- It supports Web, Siebel, people-soft, Java .Net, SAP, Oracle, Web Services, and many other languages and platforms.
- Provides extended support for mobile `9testing (smartphone, tablets).
- It can be combined with QC and easy to schedule and monitor.
- Very simple to use, understand, navigate and generate reports of validation results.
- Its license id very costly and works on windows OS only.
- Its scripting process is easy and takes less time, but the execution of scripts is time taking process.
Official website: – Sahi
- This tool is basically for testers using Agile and traditional environments for web applications.
- Its browser and OS independent.
- It supports data driven testing by connecting Excel or CSV file.
- Low cost and low time required in maintenance.
- Scripts and playbacks are easy to create and maintain.
- Introducing Sahi automation to manual testers is easy and comfortable.
Official website: – TimeShiftX
Description: TimeShiftX is a date simulation software that lets you time travel software into the future or past for temporal testing of all date sensitive functionality and code such as year-end, daylight savings, leap year, billing, rates, policies, etc. TimeShiftX uses virtual clocks to enable time travel inside of Active Directory without changing system clocks, editing code, or isolating servers.
- Instant Time Travel: No system clock changes needed. Just enable TimeShiftX and start time shift testing your software.
- Active Directory Compatibility: Safely time travel inside Active Directory, Kerberos, LDAP, and other domain authentication protocols.
- Total Software Compatibility: TimeShiftX enables time shifting for all applications and databases such as SAP, SQL, Oracle, WAS, and .NET.
- Cross Platform Time Travel: TimeShiftX is compatible on all platforms, operating systems, containers, and cloud environments.
Official website: – SoapUI
Description: This is an excellent open source tool for functional, load, compliance and security testing to test/work with SOA (service-oriented architectures) and REST (representational state transfers) web services.
SOAPUI PRO is the commercial version which has additional features to increase productivity. SOAPUI is cross platform and also supports IDEA, Eclipse, and NetBeans. Apart from testing this tool can be used in inspecting, invoking, development, simulation, and mocking.
- It is very simple and completely open source testing tool for technical as well as the nontechnical user.
- Include advanced functionality like a comprehensive view of the project, easy data driven tests, powerful HTTP monitor etc.
- Strong, easy and flexible reporting tools: Printable, HTML reports, and DATA Export.
- One can create one’s own plug-in or can use any existing third party plug-ins.
Official website: – TestComplete
Description: TestComplete is a great functional testing tool for Web, Desktop as well as Mobile applications. To create the test scripts the user can use different languages like Jscript, VBScript, C++, C#, etc.
- Keyword and Scripted, both types of testing can be done with this tool.
- It can execute many tests at the same time in different virtual machines.
- It supports many bug tracking tools like Bugzilla, Jira, VS 2005, team system etc.
- It uses an object-based approach to automate tests. Hence accepts the GUI and other controls changes.
#9) IBM Rational Functional Tester
Official website: – IBM Rational Functional Tester
Description: This is one of the most popular tools for automated testing. With the help of this automated testing tool and it’s defect management framework, a tester can link all the tests with the requirements and the design documents. The test scripts produced by recording are either in Java or in visual basic.Net. One can perform functional, regression, GUI and data-driven testing with this tool.
- It provides a 30-day trial version with all the free help of using the tool successfully.
- It supports a variety of applications like web-based, Adobe PDF documents, terminal emulator based applications,Net applications, Java applications, SAP, PowerBuilder, Ajax, and many more.
Official website: – Watir
Description: Watir (Web Application Testing in Ruby) is an open source tool for automating web applications. It’s divided into three smaller portions: Watir classic, watir WebDriver, and watirspec. Watir classic supports only IE on windows, but watir WebDriver supports all the web browsers. Watir WebDriver is a modern version of watir and based on Selenium.
- Tests are easy to read, maintain and understand.
- It’s free of cost.
- It supports all types of web applications developed in any technology.
- It supports many browsers.
#11) Borland Silk Test
Official website: – Borland Silk Test
Description: Borland Silk automation testing tool is one of the best in maximizing effectiveness, speed and cost efficiency of applications. This tool provides best solutions for the web and mobile technologies to QA, developers, and nontechnical stakeholders.
Borland Silktest 13 is the latest version which provides playback support for web applications running in Google Chrome and Firefox 7 on Firefox 11.
- Cross browser testing is easy with minimum complexity and cost.
- Supports a broad range of most common technologies.
- Keyword driven testing enables members of different roles to work closely.
- Mobile testing is faster and easier by using the single test script for desktop and mobile browsers.
#12) Tricentis Tosca Testsuite
Official website: – Tricentis Tosca Testsuite
Description: Tricentis Tosca Testsuite is a very effective end to end functional testing tool. Its latest version is Tricentis Tosca Testsuite 9.0 with the new features to enhance its efficiency. This tool is better as it uses a modern model-based approach that is tested in Agile method development. It tries to create test cases that are independent of the software technologies and provide them in business language that everyone can understand easily. Hence the test cases are created in less time and can be used as manual tests or automated test scripts. Its approach is very effective in maintaining tests with the recurring changes throughout the sprint cycles of Agile methods.
- Very effective for modern Agile method based model.
- Covers maximum business risks.
- User interface and visual representation are very good.
- Very good use of DB Expert module.
- Test module can be used for different technologies and platforms.
- Can be easily maintained by nontechnical users.
Official website: – Rapise
Description: Rapise is an automated functional testing tool for web applications and GUI applications (client-server and standalone applications). It has a great inbuilt feature to support different technologies, browsers, and environments. Some of them are object manager, drag-drop IDE, data driven testing, hybrid applications, API testing, etc. It works very well with Spira Test for distributed testing and test management.
- It is very fast and flexible.
- Very good for GUI application testing.
- Supports Agile software projects testing.
- Learn and Go feature for creating test scripts in lesser time.
- Available in cloud version in Amazon web services with payment for the usage.
#14) QA Wizard
Official website: – QA Wizard
Description: QA Wizard is a testing solution for functional testing, load testing, and stress testing. The tester can use the same set of functional test scripts for getting performance and stress quality of an application. Like other tools, this tool also supports a variety of technologies like HTML 5, Ajax .Net, Active X, Oracle Forms, Infragistics controls, QT, etc. It also supports cross browser testing using the same set of scripts.
It costs $25 per month, including annual maintenance that is free support and upgrades.
- It’s all in one automation tool for functional, regression, load and stress of an application.
- It can automate, windows, Java, and web-based applications.
- With low investment requires less training time.
Official website: – AutoIt
Description: AutoIt is a simple freeware tool to automate windows based task. It works for actions like key presses, win commands and mouse movements. Other versions of AutoIt are AutoItX (ActiveX control version) and AutoItDLL (DLL version). Its scripts can be compressed and stand alone executed on computers which do not have AutoIt interpreter installed.
- Supports protocols like TCP and UDP.
- Supports component object modeling objects.
- Can handle windows and processes.
- Scripts can be compressed into a stand-alone executable.
Official website: – Robotium
Description: Robotium is an open source testing tool for Android applications. This is similar to Selenium but very easy to use because of simple API. Apart from functional, it can also be used for system and User acceptance testing.
- It has a simple API, hence easy to learn and write test cases.
- Good for android and hybrid applications.
- Takes less time in execution.
Official website: – Vtest
#17) Q Engine
Official website: – Q Engine
Description: Along with functional testing Q Engine is capable of testing a website or web service on Windows and Linux with capability testing, Stress testing, Regressed testing, Performance testing etc.
Official website: – SauceLabs
Description: This testing tool is made for continuous integration and continuous delivery type environment and hence best in the cloud-based platform. It supports more than 700 combinations of browsers, OS and device platform.
Official website: – TestDrive
Description: TestDrive is a fast automation tool which requires no scripting language. It supports platforms like Windows / Linux and many languages like Java, .Net, AJAX, Oracle etc.
Official website: – Cucumber
Description: Cucumber is an open source testing tool written in Ruby language. This tool works best for behavior driven development. But it can also be used to test other languages like Java, C#, and Python. Cucumber for testing uses some Ruby programming.
#21) Canoo WebTest
Official website: – Canoo WebTest
Description: Canoo WebTest is also an open source testing tool for web applications. It requires XML for scripting the tests. By using XSLT, a user can also create system documentation from test scripts.
Official website: – Marathon
Description: Marathon is a testing tool made up of JAVA/SWING for testing GUI applications. It is extremely simple and open source tool. The use is not required to know Java or swing to work with it. However, the scripts are in Python. This tool is mainly used for functional testing while acceptance tests and end-user tests.
Official website: – TestMaker
Description: TestMaker is an automation platform for different types of applications like Web, SOA (Service Oriented Architecture), RIA (Rich Internet Application) and BPM (Business Process Management). It adapts tests for different uses which are already written in Selenium, SOAPUI, PHP, Ruby, etc. Its enterprise can be used as a complete package for functional, load and performance testing along with business service monitoring.
#24) Max Q
Official website: – Max Q
Description: Max Q is an open source web application testing tool. It provides all important features like HTTP test recording, test scripting and test running. It is written in JAVA and generates test scripts in JYTHON.
Official website: – WebKing
#26) Oracle Application testing suite by Oracle
Official website: – Oracle Application testing suite by Oracle
Description: The oracle application testing tool belongs to the family of the Oracle Enterprise Manager product. It is capable of doing many types of automated testing including functional and regression testing of web applications, web services, oracle applications and oracle database. The tool uses Eclipse-based scripting platform for functional and regression test scripts called OpenScript. By using JAVA the user can enhance/customize the scripts.
#27) Parasoft Jtest by ParaSoft.com
Official website: – Parasoft Jtest by ParaSoft.com
Description: Jtest is an automation tool by Parasoft for Java software testing and Static analysis. Apart from this, the tool is having many other important features. Hence used by many companies like Cisco, Wipro etc. on the license.
#28) Certify Execution manager by WorkSoft.com
Official website: – Certify Execution manager by WorkSoft.com
Description: Using Certify Execution manager is like following a set of process to ensure the quality of the system. The set of processes includes grouping test scenarios, setting the orders/priorities of tasks, managing dependencies, and availabilities of resources during automation testing.
#29) Touchtest by Soasta.com
Official website: – Touchtest by Soasta.com
Description: Touchtest automation tool is basically for mobile testing, which includes its functional testing and regression testing. This tool is efficient in recording and replaying all mobile applications with full accuracy for performance and functional testing.
#30) SmarteScript by Smartesoft.com
Official website: – SmarteScript by Smartesoft.com
Description: SmarteScript is easy for new users but also provide strong functionalities for experienced users. No language skills are required to use this tool. It supports many platforms like All Microsoft .NET compilers, Java, AJAX, IE, VB6, Microsoft Visual C++, Intel C++, Microsoft Visual Basic and Console.
This was the comprehensive list of the top functional test tools. Let us know if any tool is missing from the list.