List of the Best Requirements Management Tools with the Comparison:
As the word states ‘Requirements Management’ means the process of managing requirements or the needs of any product.
For the successful delivery of the best quality product, the requirements should be in its best place.
Similarly, in the IT industry requirements place a very important role for successful user satisfaction and software/application delivery with minimum issues.
To handle requirements efficiently to make its full and accurate use, the industry has emphasized the requirement management system. This is a process in which the expectations from the customers/ stakeholders are documented, analyzed, traced, agreed upon, monitored, versioned and prioritized.
Requirement Management also plays a vital role in notifying the stakeholders about the changes in the requirement, if any! Managing Requirement functions as long as the Project is alive and functioning.
In other words, this is a continuous process that happens throughout the project cycle. In a requirement management system, all the needs of the user are considered for the core and managed in a proper system.
Initially, the task of managing the requirements was done manually in the form of requirements analysis, requirement prioritizing, requirements review, requirements documentation, etc.
Like manual testing, this system too got an advance with many additional features to save time and manual efforts for more efficiency and accuracy.
In the market, there are a large number of requirements tools. Software organizations are investing a lot of such tools to support their needs of the best requirement management system.
What You Will Learn:
- Why Requirements Management?
- List Of Top Requirements Management Tools
- Comparison Of Requirements Management Solutions
- #1) ReQtest
- #2) Visure
- #3) SpiraTeam by Inflectra
- #4) Jama Software
- #5) ReqSuite® RM
- #6) Xebrio
- #7) Modern Requirements4DevOps
- #8) Process Street
- #9) Visual Trace Spec
- #10) IBM Rational DOORS
- #11) Accompa
- #12) IRIS Business Architect
- #13) Borland Caliber
- #14) Atlassian JIRA
- #15) Aligned Elements
- #16) Case Complete
Why Requirements Management?
Requirement Management tools give the edge to the organizations in terms of giving increased business value, reduce budget issues, etc.
In today’s world of development, it becomes utterly necessary to track changes in the requirement at every step, automatically. The audit trail of requirements is done more efficiently with the involvement of tools.
Talking about Requirement Management Tools, we have used Microsoft Office for managing requirements. Haven’t we? In some part of our career! When I say, Microsoft Office, it is mostly Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel majorly.
However, still, a lot of us use MS applications, it is not advisable.
Disadvantages of using MS Office and few of them are as below:
- Change tracking is almost impossible. Manual tracking of changes has to be done, which can either be entered through manual changelogs or comments. As a project goes by, it becomes a tedious task.
- When it is spread across teams, there is a possibility that a different version is tracked at different places. That becomes another pain to track
- There is a lot of manual work that is done in the case of an MS office tracking. This not only impacts the resource utilization but also eats up the time.
Because of the above reasons, organizations look forward to specialized tools to track Requirement Management.
We have analyzed numerous tools and have come up with a list of top 16 tools. So, there you go with the list:
List Of Top Requirements Management Tools
Given below is a list of Requirements Management Tools available in the market.
- SpiraTeam by Inflectra
- Jama Software
- ReqSuite® RM
- Modern Requirements4DevOps
- Process Street
- Visual Trace Spec
- IBM Rational DOORS
- IRIS Business Architect
- Borland Caliber
- Atlassian JIRA
- Aligned Elements
- Case Complete
Comparison Of Requirements Management Solutions
|One line tool description||Our Score (Out of 10)||Features||Free trial||Price|
|ReQtest||Requirements, test management, & Bug tracking tool.||9.5||Prioritizing Requirements, Highly customizable, instant reviewing & tracking of changes, etc.||Available for 10 days.||Small Teams: $10/user.
Professional: Starts at $45/user.
Enterprise: Get a quote
|Visure||Requirements Management Tool||9.5||End-to-end req. Traceability, Req. management, Req. Gathering, reusability, etc.||Available||Get a quote|
|SpiraTeam||Application Lifecycle Management Tool.||9||Project Management,|
Mobile devices are supported,
Add-ins for data migration, etc.
|Available for 30 days.||Cloud: $1360.69 for 3 concurrent users per year.
Download: $2799.99 for 3 concurrent users for the first year.
|Jama Software||Collaboration Tool||8.5||Align tests & requirements, Real-time collaboration, reuse requirements, etc.||Available||Get a quote.|
|ReqSuite RM||Requirements Management Tool||9||Reusing requirements,|
Linking relation between requirements,
Versioning features to save changes to requirements.
|Available.||Free: 5 users,
Basic: Euro 199
Standard: Euro 249
Enterprise: Euro 599
|Xebrio||Requirements and Test Case Management Tool||9||Requirements, Task Management, Asset Tracking, Bug Tracking, release management, etc.||Available||Get a quote.|
|Process Street||Checklist, Workflow, and SOP Software||8.5||Creating procedure documents,|
Running processes as collaborative workflows,
Integration with more than 1000 apps.
|Available for 14 days with Business Pro plan features.||Business: $12.50/user/month
Business Pro: $25/user/month
Enterprise: Get a quote.
|Visual Trace Spec||Requirements and Test Case Management tool.||8.5||Any project is manageable|
Reporting and Documentation
|Available for 30 days.||SaaS solution & Natice Cloud edition. Get a quote.|
Price: ReQtest has two pricing plans i.e. Small team ($10 per user per month) and Professional ($45 per user per month). It offers a free trial for the product.
ReQtest has an advance Requirement module with ease of tracing links between requirements, test cases, and bugs.
The users can link the test cases to the requirement and any bugs that are linked to the test case will be automatically linked to the requirement. This way the testers can not only track which bugs are linked to which test cases but also find out the bugs linked to the requirements.
This helps users to find out the criticality of bugs and prioritize the bugs accordingly. There is a Requirement hierarchy tree that helps you know the context of a requirement visually.
Our Score: 9.5 out of 10
Price: You can get a quote for pricing details. The free trial is available to download. Visure offers three types of licenses, perpetual & subscription, floating & named user licenses, and On-premises & cloud.
Visure is a leading provider of requirements management tools offering a comprehensive collaborative ALM platform including full traceability, tight integration with MS Word/Excel, risk management, test management, bug tracking, requirements testing, requirements quality analysis, Requirement versioning and baseline, powerful reporting and standard compliance templates for ISO 26262, IEC 62304, IEC 61508, CENELEC 50128, DO-178B/C, FMEA, SPICE, CMMI, etc.
Visure’s value proposition is nothing less than the total innovative and disruptive technology in key functions, system performance, standard compliance and solution economics for engineering requirements of safety-critical and business-critical systems.
- Users utilize advanced functionality by leveraging modern best of breed technologies coupled with other ALM tools such as DOORS, JIRA, Enterprise Architect, HP ALM, and other testing tools.
- Unrivaled system economics that guarantees the highest quality and drastically reduces total life-cycle costs.
Our Score: 9.5 out of 10
#3) SpiraTeam by Inflectra
Price: Inflectra offers a free trial for 30 days. The cloud-based solution for 3 concurrent users will cost you $971.89 per year if billed annually. Monthly plans are available for a cloud-based solution. It is available to download for $1999.99 for 3 concurrent users for the first year.
SpiraTeam lets you easily manage your requirements and user stories in an integrated requirements matrix. Manage your requirements with confidence using SpiraTeam.
SpiraTeam allows you to drill down from each of your captured requirements to determine how many test cases have validated the functionality, and status of each of the defects logged.
SpiraTest allows you to quickly and easily organize requirements in a hierarchical structure. Requirements can be prioritized, estimated and associated with a specific release.
Each requirement is displayed with its associated test coverage. You can move, copy and filter the requirements according to a variety of criteria.
Our Score: 9 out of 10
SpiraTeam – The Perfect Requirements Management Tool For Your Team: Start Your 30-Day Free Trial Today!
#4) Jama Software
Price: You can get a quote for pricing details. It offers a free trial for the product.
Jama Software provides the leading platform for Requirements, Risk, and Test management. With Jama Connect and industry-focused services, teams building complex products, systems, and software improve cycle times, increase quality, reduce rework, and minimize effort proving compliance.
Jama Software’s growing customer base of more than 600 organizations includes companies representing the forefront of modern development in Autonomous Vehicles, Healthcare, Financial Services, Industrial Manufacturing, Aerospace, and Defense.
Jama Connect was rated as the top Application Lifecycle Management (ALM) tool for 2019 by Trust Radius. In particular, the reviewers praise the product’s purposeful collaboration, ease of adaptability, and live traceability.
Our Score: 8.5 out of 10
#5) ReqSuite® RM
Price: Osseno offers a free trial for the ReqSuite RM. There are three pricing plans for the product, Basic (Starts from $143 per 3 users per month), Standard (Starts from $276 per 5 users per month), and Enterprise (Starts from $664 per 10 users per month).
ReqSuite® RM is a very intuitive yet powerful solution for requirements management, or the management of other project-relevant information (e.g., solution concepts, test cases, etc.) as well. Due to its easy and extensive configurability, ReqSuite® RM can be quickly and completely adapted to the individual customer situation, which is why companies from different industries rely on ReqSuite® RM.
Besides the mentioned configurator, the unique selling propositions include AI-supported assistance functions, such as for guiding the analysis and approval workflow, checking the quality and completeness of requirements, automatic linking, reuse recommendations, etc.
ReqSuite® RM is a fully web-based application and can be operated on the Cloud or on-premise. The smallest license package (3 users) starts with 129€ per month. A free trial is available.
Our Score: 9 out of 10
Xebrio tracks individual requirements throughout the lifecycle of your project with multiple levels of stakeholder approvals & collaboration capabilities, the ability to associate requirements to tasks, milestones, and test cases, and a transparent yet detailed process for requirement change management, thereby guaranteeing requirement traceability.
Not just limited to Requirements Management, Xebrio is a complete Project Management Tool with extensive task management, Collaboration, Communication, Test management, Bug tracking, Asset management, Release management, and comprehensive reporting capabilities, with all under the same roof and no add-ons or plugins are required.
It also sports a comprehensive dashboard and offers detailed data-driven insights with easy-to-grasp reports.
Being very intuitive and user-friendly, Xebrio also offers you an extended free trial and great support.
Our Score: 9 out of 10.
#7) Modern Requirements4DevOps
Modern Requirements4DevOps fills the requirements management gaps in Azure DevOps. It is Microsoft’s go-to requirements management partner since 2015
Trusted by Fortune 500 organizations around the world, Modern Requirements4DevOps turns Azure DevOps into a fully-featured Requirements Management tool.
They bring your teams together under one platform to create a true single source of truth model where Requirements live in the same place as your Test Cases, and Code Repositories. Their tool is designed to bring Reviews, End-to-End Traceability, Reporting, Documenting, and more to Azure DevOps.
Modern Requirements4DevOps includes every feature your requirements team could need in our robust requirements solution.
#8) Process Street
Process Street is one of the most user-friendly Requirements Management tools to manage processes, team workflow, checklists, and operating procedures. It’s easy and time-saving to interact with a client via this tool. By using Process Street one can design one’s own processes, without being experts in it.
This tool is available to use free of cost for 30 days, which includes all features.
- Process Street is a workflow and process management tool that provides an option to manage recurring checklists and procedures in the business.
- Some of the best features that Process Street offers are Regular workflow scheduling, Activity feed, tasks assignment, Instant visibility, Run processes as collaborative workflows, etc.
Price: Process Street has three pricing plans, Business ($12.50 per user per month), Business Pro ($25 per user per month), and Enterprise (Get a quote). All these are the prices for annual billing. A free trial is available for 14 days.
Our Score: 8.5 out of 10
#9) Visual Trace Spec
Visual Trace Spec is a user-friendly tool for requirements specification and traceability. This fully customizable software includes a word like interface for document generation.
Visual Trace Spec is equally effective for developing software systems, embedded systems, medical devices, apps, and more.
Our Score: 8.5 out of 10
Price: You can get a quote for pricing details. It offers a SaaS Solution and Native Client Edition. Visual Trace Spec offers a free trial for 30 days.
Website: Visual Trace Spec
#10) IBM Rational DOORS
IBM Rational tool is a leading requirement tool. It is a client-server application and multi-platform tool which is designed to manage, capture, track, analyze and link requirements as well as standards. It also provides a unique graphical view of the hierarchy of the data.
It also provides a unique graphical view of the hierarchy of the data. Rational Door Next generation is available in the market with no cost to users of active subscription and support.
Our Score: 8 out of 10
Price: IBM Engineering Requirements Management Doors Family price starts at $5620 per user. IBM Engineering Requirements Management DOORS Next price will start at $820 per 5 users per month. It has perpetual as well as annual license options.
Website: IBM Rational DOORS
Accompa with cloud-based requirements management software helps in building a proper system of requirement management processes. This Requirements Management tool is easy to use at an affordable price.
It’s a WEB based using models like could and SaaS, highly customized with high performance. It costs just $199/month with no installation and maintenance. Its free trial version is available.
- Accompa is hailed as the #1 Cloud-based Requirements Management Software Tool.
- Customer feedback says Accompa is one of the best tools which increases the ease of use for the end-user.
- Adding to the point that it is easy to use, it is very easy to implement as well.
- The organization also offers some cheeky options for licensing. There are three versions called the Enterprise edition [edition which supports Mid-Large companies], Corporate Edition, Standard Edition [aimed towards smaller teams].
- The prices are competitive and are $799/month, $399/month and $199/month respectively.
- Each of the licenses come with free 5 licenses. Extra ones cost more.
Enjoy your 30-day free trial here
#12) IRIS Business Architect
IRIS Business Architect is a very powerful management tool that is efficient in handling the requirements changes dynamically and continuously. The tool follows all the standards and hence gives very precise results. It is also very user-friendly. It is a combined package that correlates IT with business operations.
The tool follows all the standards and hence gives very precise results. It is also very user-friendly. It’s a combined package that correlates IT with business operations.
The user can rely on this for speed, security, documentation, and performance. It costs $3,495.00/one-time/user. Although it’s a free version and a trial version is also available in the market. It supports Cloud, SaaS, Mac, Windows, and web.
Website: IRIS Business Architect
#13) Borland Caliber
Borland caliber is a complete solution to manage a life cycle of a product that is from development to testing. It handles all types of requirements as a repository in central, which is secure too.
This tool also speeds up and bring agility to the requirement process. It’s very easy to handle requirement changes from this tool. One can easily download the different versions for trial from its official website. For the long term, the user has to pay for its license.
Website: Borland Caliber
#14) Atlassian JIRA
Atlassian tool is known for creating product requirements document in an agile environment. This tool uses ‘confluence’ for project discussion and gathering requirements from its blueprint. There are also a few plugins like R4J, RMsis, Wikidsmart, in the Atlassian market for the more standardized or formalized approach of requirement management.
There are also a few plugins like R4J, RMsis, Wikidsmart, in the Atlassian market for the more standardized or formalized approach of requirement management.
A user can try it free of cost for some days. The minimum price, for a limited time, of its license is $10 for 10 users monthly and $100 for 10 users annually.
Website: Atlassian JIRA
#15) Aligned Elements
Aligned Element tool helps you to develop, maintain and track the designs and requirements from the old files. If a person is regularly in documentation by using this tool, then time used for work will be very less and valuable. The tool is very flexible and customized.
The device is best for the medical industry. It’s pricing starts at $480.00/year/user. However, the trial version is available in the market. It has online training and good customer support. The deployment can be done in a Cloud, Web, and SaaS.
Website: Aligned Elements
#16) Case Complete
- This is from the Serlio Software and helps the user to efficiently create and manage Use Cases/Software requirements.
- Case Complete comes with a built-in Reporting system that allows the users to publish requirements in Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, and HTML format.
- There is also a 30-day trial offered.
- There are 6 different license types aiming for different sized teams;
- Site [Up to 150 Users] – $28,999
- Business Unit [Up to 50 Users] – $16,799
- Department [Up to 20 Users] – $8,399
- Large Team [Up to 10 Users] – $4,999
- Small Team [Up to 5 Users] – $2,799
- Solo [Single Users] – $699
- The license is perpetual. Free upgrades are supported for 1 year and the software can be used forever. To get the free upgrades and support beyond one year, the license has to be renewed.
Website: Case Complete
Additional Tools of Requirements Management
#17) Enterprise Architect
Enterprise Architect tool works on multiple operating systems in building a proper and re-usable modeled structure to establish a perfect solution. Such solutions include creating, editing, reviewing and linking documents/properties/tests/changed requirements, etc.
- Enterprise Architect is developed by Sparx systems and is supported on various Operating systems such as Microsoft Windows, Linux [Via Wine], Mac OS [Via CrossOver].
- This is marketed in two different versions, Standard Edition and Suite Edition.
- Each of the editions provided has its sub-versions which can be chosen specifically to the industry/company/team size etc.
Enterprise Architect Ultimate edition, version 11, Build 1107 is the popular version released in April 2014. The trial of 30 days is also available in the market, otherwise one has to get its license.
All the versions after version 11 also include the Specification manager. It’s Current Release -Version 13, Build 1310 03-March-2017.
Website: Enterprise Architect
Innoslate is a tool used to develop, capture and analyze the requirements with Income standards. It collaborates very efficiently the requirement management with model-based engineering.
- Innoslate is known for its extensive library of diagrammatic data.
- Innoslate supports many types of diagrams such as; charts, class diagrams, LML, SysML, timelines, etc.
- There are two versions of it; Innoslate Cloud which is priced at $49/user/month and Innoslate Enterprise which is priced at $199/user/month.
It runs on any device like MAC, PC, Android, etc. And on any browser like Firefox, Chrome, Apple Safari, IE 10, etc.
- ReqView is a requirement organization tool that helps in making structured documents out of requirements.
- The requirements can be captured using rich text descriptions, images, links, etc.
- This is available for Windows, as a Chrome application, and as a web application.
- There are 3 versions; Free, Standard and Pro. They are priced at 0€, 99€ and 249€ per user/year respectively.
#20) Micro Focus Agile Manager
The Micro Focus Agile Manager is a web-based HP management tool that can be used by freelancers and every size of organizations. It is a complete communication center, decision support system and solution for organizing, planning and delivering the best quality Agile projects.
The starting cost of its subscription is $39.00/month. It’s a free trial is also available.
- Micro Focus Agile Manager is developed by HP and is known for features such as; Plan, Collaborate, Track, Alignment, Higher Code Quality, and Transparency.
- There is a free trial offered for 30 days to 10 virtual users to get a feel of the application.
Website: Micro Focus Agile Manager
#21) Tosca Testsuite
Tosca test suite is a complete package for high-quality applications which include everything like testing, automation, requirements management, etc. Its latest version is Tosca 10.1.
It is very user-friendly and can be used across platforms. The tool facilitates with a free trial, easy deployment, good training, and 24/7 customer service.
Website: Tosca Testsuite
#22) Rally Software
Rally Software is a powerful combination that supports organizations to consistently deliver high quality and fast software. The main focus of this tool is to create/adapt and manage an agile environment in an enterprise-class platform.
The annual cost of this product is approximately $20-$50.
Website: CA Agile central
iPlan is a complete solution that includes requirement management for small and medium businesses. Its free version is available for 5 users/5 projects.
#24) Agile Designer
By using Agile Designer a user can easily and quickly introduce Agile into their existing waterfall model.
Website: Agile designer
#25) codeBeamer Requirements Management (8.0.1)
codeBeamer ALM is a web-based an all-rounder requirement management tool that supports the user to re-use, import, manage and share requirements.
- codeBeamer is developed and marketed by Intland Software.
- This offers some templates which are preconfigured into the application such as, Medical, Automotive, Aviation, Embedded, etc.
- The major features include Application lifestyle Management, Demand Management, Risk Management, QA & Test Management, etc.
- Aha! is a Software-as-a-service [SaaS] Product Roadmap Application.
- As per the statistics, Aha! is being used by 100,000 users around the globe and helps in gathering, validating, analyzing and prioritizing product requirements.
- There is a free trial option available after which the licenses have to be bought.
- Details of Aha! Can be found below:
#27) Micro Focus Application Lifecycle Management (ALM)
Micro Focus application lifecycle management tool is useful for all sizes of organizations. The main features of this tool are Application lifecycle management, Agile project management, Quality management, Application lifecycle intelligence and Open source Integration.
#28) iRise with JIRA
- iRise is an application developed by El Segundo, California.
- iRise is an integrated application which provides requirement management, prototyping tool, and diagrams.
- iRise supports in creating interactive business process flows, use cases and other diagrams.
- iRise also integrates with ALM tools such as JIRA, HP Quality Center, IBM Rational, etc.
- Cradle is a web-based requirement management tool developed by 3SL.
- This is a multi-user, multi-project utility and can link seamlessly with corporate PDM/EDM systems.
- Document production can be automated using Cradle and it also supports document management.
- This comes in 5 different versions and the details are as below:
#30) Top Team Analyst
- Top Team Analyst is an End-to-End solution for Requirement definition and management developed by Technosolutions.
- This is known for its accessibility. It has a window client, offers the option to log in via Web, also supports offline login at Client’s end.
- Top team analyst is also known for its visual approach. It can convert the text-based requirements into graphical diagrams.
- More details on Top Team Analyst can be obtained in the following path:
Website: Top Team Analyst
- Yonix is known because of its key features; the features it possesses are the typical entities that a requirement management tool should have.
- It is centralized, collaborative and configurable to achieve the maximum output.
- Some of the major customers include names such as Wells Fargo, VISA, UNICEF, ORACLE, FedEx, Woolworths, Accenture, Toyota, GE, IBM, etc.
#32) in-STEP BLUE
- in-STEP BLUE is developed and sold by a Germany based company called microTOOL.
- This is a project management software which covers the requirement management and change management.
- This supports two languages, English and German.
- Numbers say, there are 34K odd users registered with this application.
- There are 7 different versions of the product.
- The personal edition is treated as the trial version and comes with a never expire timeline.
Website: in-STEP BLUE
Requirements management software will help you with centralizing the requirements. It will make the management of changing requirements easier. The use of requirements management software will give you more consistency in work.
ReQtest, Visure, SpiraTeam, ReqSuite RM, Xebrio, Jama Software, and Process Street are our top recommended requirements management tools.
ReQtest, Visure, ReqSuite RM are the requirements management tools. ReQtest also provides the functionalities for test management and bug tracking. SpiraTeam is an application lifecycle management tool. Xebrio is a project management tool. Jama Software is a collaboration tool and Process Street is a tool for a checklist, workflow, and SOP.
We hope this article will help you with the selection of the right Requirements Management tool.
- Time Taken To Research This Article: 22 Hrs
- Total Tools Researched: 50
- Top Tools Shortlisted: 32