Best Software Development Tools and Platforms a Developer Should Know:
Know which Software Tools developers use for developing the latest and modern feature-rich projects.
A computer program that is used by the software developers for creating, editing, maintaining, supporting and debugging other applications, frameworks and programs – is termed as a Software Development Tool or a Software Programming Tool.
Development tools can be of many forms like linkers, compilers, code editors, GUI designer, assemblers, debugger, performance analysis tools etc. There are certain factors to be considered while selecting the corresponding development tool, based on the type of the project.
Few of such factors include:
- Company standards
- Tool usefulness
- Tool integration with another tool
- Selecting an appropriate environment
- Learning curve
Selecting the right development tool has its own effect on the project’s success and efficiency.
Use of Software Programming Tools:
Given below are few uses of the Software Dev Tools:
- Software tools are used to accomplish and investigate the business processes, document the development process of the software and optimize all the processes.
- By using these tools in the software development process, the outcome of the projects will be more productive.
- Using the development tools, a developer can easily maintain the workflow of the project.
What You Will Learn:
- Best Software Development Tools You Should Know
- #1) monday.com
- #2) Embold
- #3) Linx
- #4) Quixy
- #5) Atom
- #6) Cloud 9
- #7) GitHub
- #8) NetBeans
- #9) Bootstrap
- #10) Node.js
- #11) Bitbucket
- #12) CodeCharge Studio
- #13) CodeLobster
- #14) Codenvy
- #15) AngularJS
- #16) Eclipse
- #17) Dreamweaver
- #18) Crimson Editor
- #19) Zend Studio
- #20) Jira
- #21) CloudForge
- #22) Azure
- #23) Spiralogics Application Architecture (SAA)
- #24) Delphi
Best Software Development Tools You Should Know
We have researched and ranked the best software programming and development tools. Here is a review and comparison of each tool.
monday.com provides an agile software development platform. It helps agile teams to build the products faster and iterate them swiftly.
It will let you integrate your existing software development tools and your data from multiple tools can be automatically brought to monday.com. You can automate the workflows with monday.com and save your time. The platform can be tried for free.
- monday.com has features to customize your workflows so that you can plan your iteration needs.
- You will be able to track your team’s progress through real-time progress reporting.
- Exact effort tracking features will let you easily track the actual story points spent on different projects and tasks.
- Using forms you will be able to respond to bugs and issues quickly and efficiently.
Fixing bugs before deployment saves a lot of time and energy in the long run. Embold is a software analytics platform that analyses source code and uncovers issues that impact stability, robustness, security, and maintainability.
- With the Embold plugins, you can pick up code smells and vulnerabilities as you code, before making commits.
- Unique anti-pattern detection prevents the compounding of unmaintainable code.
- Integrate seamlessly with Github, Bitbucket, Azure, and Git and plugins available for Eclipse and IntelliJ IDEA.
- Get deeper and faster checks than standard code editors, for over 10 languages.
Linx is low code tool to build and automate backend applications and web services. The tool accelerates the design, development and automation of custom business processes, including easy integration of applications, systems and databases.
- Easy-to-use, drag-and-drop IDE and Server.
- Over 100 pre-built plugins programming functions and services for rapid development.
- One-click deployment to any local or cloud server.
- Input and outputs include nearly any SQL & NoSQL databases, numerous file formats (text and binary) or REST and SOAP Web services.
- Live debugging with step-through logic.
- Automate processes via a timer, directory events or message queue or expose web services, and call APIs via HTTP requests.
Quixy is a visual, easy-to-use, and no-code platform to build complex custom enterprise software. It is used by businesses in more than 10 industry vertices to automate tasks & processes and build applications without writing any code.
On G2, it is rated as a leader in the Asia Pacific. It has a lot of pre-built solutions for various use cases like Incident Management, Expense Management, CRM, Project Management, etc.
- Quixy is a Zero-Code platform and hence can be used by anyone.
- You will be able to build a User Interface by dragging and dropping more than 40 field controls.
- Visual Builder will help you to model processes and build workflows.
- It provides ready-to-use templates and components.
- Quixy Simulator will help you to test what is built.
- Quixy is an enterprise-ready platform and offers features like an audit trail, option to host on a private cloud, IP filtering, single sign-on, custom password policies, and multi-step authentication, etc.
Atom is an open source and free desktop editor cum source code editor that is up-to-date, friendly and hackable to the core.
- Atom supports cross-platform editing and works for various operating systems like Windows, Linux and OS X.
- Atom is a customizable tool with which one can effectively edit the look & feel of the User Interface, add few important features etc., without editing the configuration file.
- Important features of Atom which made it a remarkable tool are its built-in package manager, smart autocomplete, multiple panes, file system browser, find & replace feature etc.
- Atom is used to build cross-platform applications with web technologies using a framework called ‘Electron’.
Click here for further details on Atom.
#6) Cloud 9
- Cloud 9 IDE is a web-based platform that is used for scripting, running and debugging the code in the cloud.
- Using Cloud 9, the users can work with serverless applications which help to switch between remote and local testing and debugging activities.
- The features like code completion suggestions, debugging, file dragging etc., makes Cloud 9 a powerful tool.
- Cloud 9 is an IDE for web and mobile developers that help to collaborate together.
- Developers using AWS Cloud 9 can share the environment with the workmates for projects.
- Cloud 9 IDE lets to replica the entire development environment.
Click here for more information on Cloud 9 tool.
GitHub is a powerful collaboration tool and development platform for code review and code management. With this GitHub, the users can build applications and software, manage the projects, host the code, review the code etc.
- With GitHub, developers can easily document their code and can host the same from the repositories.
- GitHub’s project management tools help its users to stay aligned, co-ordinate easily and get their task done accordingly.
- Few features of GitHub that make it a useful tool are its code security, access control among the team members, integration with other tools etc.
- Few developers use GitHub for experimenting new programming languages in their personal projects.
- GitHub can be hosted on servers and on a cloud platform. It runs on Windows and Mac OS.
- GitHub is free for open source projects and public use. For developers it is charged @ $7/month, for teams @ $9/month and for organizations it is $21/month.
For further information on GitHub tool, visit here.
- NetBeans supports cross-platform and works on any operating system like Linux, Mac OS, Solaris, Windows etc.
- NetBeans offers features like Smart Code Editing, writing bug-free code, easy management process, and quick user interface development.
- Java applications can be easily updated to its newer editions using the code analyzers, editors and converters offered by NetBeans 8 IDE.
- Features of NetBeans IDE that made it the best tool are debugging, profiling, dedicated support from the community, powerful GUI builder, out of box working, support for Java platforms etc.
- The well-organized code in NetBeans allows its new developers to understand the structure of the application.
Click here for further details on NetBeans.
Bootstrap is an open source and free framework for developing responsive websites and mobile-first projects using CSS, HTML, and JS. Bootstrap is widely used to design faster and simpler websites.
- As Bootstrap is an open source toolkit, one can customize it according to their project’s requirement.
- Bootstrap is provided with built-in components which are used in accumulating responsive websites by a smart drag and drop facility.
- Powerful features of Bootstrap like a responsive grid system, plug-ins, pre-built components, sass variables & mixins allow its users to build their applications.
- Bootstrap is a front-end web framework that is used for quick modeling of the ideas and building of the web applications.
- This tool guarantees consistency among all the developers or users working on the project.
More information on this framework is available here.
- Node.js applications run on Windows, Linux, Mac OS, Unix etc.
- Node.js is efficient and lightweight as it uses non-blocking and event-driven I/O model.
- Node.js modules are used to provide rapid and well-organized solutions for developing back-end structure and integrating with the front-end platforms.
- The largest ecosystem of open source libraries is available with node.js package.
- Various IT Companies, software developers, small & large business organizations use node.js for developing web and network server applications in their projects.
Click here for more information on NodeJS tool.
Bitbucket is a distributed, web-based version control system that is used for collaboration between software development teams (code and code review). It is used as a repository for source code and development projects.
- Useful features of Bitbucket that makes it a powerful tool are its flexible deployment models, unlimited private repositories, code collaboration on steroids etc.
- Bitbucket supports few services like code search, issue tracking, Git large file storage, bitbucket pipelines, integrations, smart mirroring etc.
- Using Bitbucket, one can organize the repositories into the projects with which they can focus easily on their goal, process or product.
- To rationalize the development process of any software it can integrate into the prevailing workflow.
- Bitbucket offers a free plan for 5 users with unlimited private repositories, standard plan @ $2/user/month for growing teams and premium plan @ $5/user/month for large teams.
You can reach here for further details on Bitbucket.
#12) CodeCharge Studio
CodeCharge Studio is the most creative and leading IDE and RAD (Rapid Application Development) that is used to create data-driven web applications or enterprise internet and intranet systems with minimal coding.
- CodeCharge Studio supports various platforms like Windows, Mac, Linux etc.
- Using CodeCharge Studio, one can analyze and modify the code generated to study the web technologies which are used to work with programming projects in any environment.
- It supports various Databases like MySQL, Postgre SQL, Oracle, MS Access, MS SQL etc.
- Few important features of CodeCharge Studio are Visual IDE & Code Generator, web reports, online calendar, gallery builder, flash charts, AJAX, menu builder, database-to-web converter etc.
- By using CodeCharge Studio, one can minimize the errors, reduce the development time, reduce the learning curve etc.
- CodeCharge Studio can be used for a 20-day free trial and then it can be purchased at $139.95.
Documentation and sign up information about CodeCharge Studio can be accessed from here.
- CodeLobster PHP Edition rationalizes & makes things easier in the development process and also supports CMS like Joomla, Magneto, Drupal, WordPress etc.
- Few important and advanced features of CodeLobster PHP IDE are PHP Debugger, PHP Advanced autocomplete, CSS code inspector, DOM elements, auto-completing of keywords etc.
- PHP Debugger facilitates the users in debugging the programs at the time of coding and before executing the code.
- CodeLobster offers its users to enjoy the file explorer facilities and browser previews.
- CodeLobster is available in 3 versions namely free version, lite version @ $39.95 and professional version @ $99.95.
CodeLobster can be downloaded from here.
Codenvy is a cloud development environment used for coding and debugging the applications. It can support sharing projects in real-time and can collaborate with others.
- As Codenvy is a cloud-based IDE there is no need for any installation and configuration of this software development tool.
- Codenvy can be integrated with Jira, Jenkins, Eclipse Che extensions and to any private toolchain.
- Codenvy can be customized in many ways using IDE extensions, Eclipse Che, commands, stacks, editors, assemblies, RESTful APIs, and server-side extension plug-ins.
- Codenvy can run on any operating system like Windows, Mac OS, and Linux. It can also run in the public or private cloud.
- Command-line installers generated by Codenvy are used for deploying in any environment.
- It is available at a free of cost up to 3 developers and for more users, it costs at $20/user/month.
More information on this tool is available here.
AngularJS is an open source, structural and JavScript based framework used by web developers to design web applications in a dynamic manner.
- AngularJS is fully expandable and works easily with other libraries. Each feature can be replaced or edited as per the development workflow and project needs.
- AngularJS works well with data-driven applications if the site is updated regularly as per the changes in the data.
- Advanced features of AngularJS are Directives, localization, dependency injection, reusable components, form validation, deep linking, data binding etc.
- AngularJS is not a plug-in or browser extension. It is 100% client-side and works on both mobile and desktop browsers like Safari, iOS, IE, Firefox, Chrome etc.
- AngularJS offers built-in protection against basic security holes which include HTML injection attacks and cross-site scripting.
Download AngularJS from here.
Eclipse is the most popular IDE that is used by Java developers in computer programming. It is used to develop applications not only in Java but also in other programming languages like C, C++, C#, PHP, ABAP etc.
- Eclipse is an open source group of projects, tools and collaborative working groups which play a key role in the development of new solution and innovations.
- Eclipse Software Development Kit (SDK) is a free and open source software which is used by the developers in programming as per their respective programming languages.
- Eclipse is used in creating web, desktop and cloud IDEs which in turn delivers the wide collection of add-on tools for software developers.
- Advantages of Eclipse are refactoring, code completion, syntax checking, rich client platform, error debugging, industrial level of development etc.
- One can easily integrate Eclipse with other frameworks like TestNG, JUnit, and other plug-ins.
Eclipse can be downloaded from here.
- Dreamweaver is used across Linux and Windows operating systems including iOS devices.
- Dreamweaver CS6 provides you with a preview option with which one can look at the preview of the designed website on any desired device.
- The latest version of Dreamweaver is used to design responsive websites.
- Another version of Dreamweaver, named Dreamweaver CC combines a code editor and a design surface termed as a Live view to offer some advanced features like auto-completion of code, code collapsing, real-time syntax checking, syntax highlighting and code inspection.
- Dreamweaver offers various plans, for individuals @ $19.99/month, for business @ $29.99/month and for schools or Universities @ $ 14.99/user/month.
Click here for further details on Dreamweaver.
#18) Crimson Editor
Crimson Editor is a freeware, lightweight text editing tool and an epic of software development tools only for Microsoft Windows which are used as HTML editor and source code editor.
- Crimson Editor is the specialized source code editor that offers an amazing feature of editing the score of programming languages like HTML, Perl, C / C++ and Java.
- Features of Crimson Editor include print & print preview, syntax highlighting, multi-level undo/redo, editing multiple documents, user tools & macros, editing remote files directly using built-in FTP client etc.
- Size of Crimson Editor software is also small but the loading time is fast.
- The learning curve of this software is so fast. It comes with a complete help manual which makes the navigation part easy.
Crimson Editor can be accessed from here.
#19) Zend Studio
Zend Studio is a next-generation PHP IDE that is used for coding, debugging, prototyping and testing of mobile & web applications.
- Zend Studio’s 3x faster performance helps in indexing, searching, and validation of PHP code.
- Zend Studio helps in deploying PHP applications on any server that includes cloud support for Microsoft Azure and Amazon AWS.
- Debugging capabilities offered by Zend Studio are using Z-Ray integration, Zend Debugger and Xdebug.
- It supports best-in-class development tools like Docker and Git Flow.
- Zend Studio works on Windows, Mac OS, and Linux platforms.
- Zend Studio software pricing for personal use is $89.00 and for commercial use is $189.00.
Zend Studio can be downloaded from here.
Jira is the most popular software development tool that is used by agile teams for planning, tracking and releasing the software.
- This tool is customizable and also has some prevailing features that are used in every development phase.
- Using Jira, we can accomplish the work in progress, generate reports, backlogs etc.
- Few other important features of Jira software are Scrum boards, Kanban boards, GitHub integration, Disaster recovery, Code Integration, Portfolio Management, Sprint Planning, Project Management etc.
- Jira works for Windows and Linux/Solaris operating systems.
- Jira software pricing in the cloud for small teams is $10/month per 10 users and for 11 – 100 users it costs $7/user/month. For a free trial, this tool is available for 7 days.
For more details about the free trial and other tool related information, visit here.
CloudForge is a Saas (Software as a service) product that is used for application development. It is used for collaborative application development in the cloud.
- CloudForge is a secured and single cloud platform that is used by developers for coding, connecting and deploying the applications.
- CloudForge elastically balances your projects, teams, and processes.
- It is used to manage and integrate various development tools.
- Features of CloudForge are Version control hosting, Bugs & issue tracking, Agile planning, Visibility & reporting, deploying code to public & private clouds, etc.
- CloudForge is available for a 30 days free trial. Standard pack for small teams is available @ $2/user/month and Professional pack for small business & enterprise groups is available @ $10/user/month.
Click here for further details on CloudForge.
Microsoft Azure is a cloud computing service that is used for designing, deploying, testing and managing web applications or hybrid cloud applications through Microsoft’s global network of data centers.
- Microsoft Azure offers various services like mobile services, data management, storage services, messaging, media services, CDN, caching, virtual network, business analytics, migrate apps & infrastructure etc.
- Detailed pricing information is available on their website. Sample example pricing for “App Service” is Rs 0.86/hour and that too its free for the first 12 months.
- Using Azure, we can easily spot the threats and lessen them, deliver the mobile apps flawlessly, manage the apps proactively etc.
Documentation and sign up information about Microsoft Azure can be accessed from here.
#23) Spiralogics Application Architecture (SAA)
SAA is a cloud-based development tool that is used to define, design, customize, and publish their software applications online without any coding.
- Using SAA, the developers can preview the changes before issuing or deploying the applications.
- Even the users can select any pre-built application and customize them as per their requirement or can build it from scratch.
- Important features of SAA are drag & drop controls, customizing the controls, embed & built-in HTML editor, Interactive dashboard builder, predefined processes, a graphical representation of workflows & seamless integration etc.
- SAA supports various platforms like Windows, Android, Linux, iOS etc.
- SAA is available for a 30 days free trial and the paid plans start with $25/month/user for Pro Subscription and $35/month/user for Premier Subscription.
Access here for more information on SAA.
Embarcadero Delphi is a powerful object Pascal IDE that is used to develop cross-platform Native Applications with adjustable cloud services and comprehensive IoT connectivity.
- Delphi is used to deliver powerful and fast native apps for Linux, Android, iOS, Mac OS, Windows, IoT, and cloud.
- Delphi is 5 times quicker in designing Hyper-Connected Apps using FireUI preview for multiple database platforms, desktops, and mobiles.
- Delphi supports RAD and its features like native cross-compilation, visual window layout, application framework, refactoring etc.
- Delphi provides an integrated debugger, source control, strong database, code editor with code completion, real-time error-checking, in-line documentation, best code quality, code collaboration etc.
- Latest versions of Delphi includes features like Quick Edit support, new VCL control, FireMonkey, installer, multi-tenancy support in RAD server etc.
- Delphi Professional Edition costs $999.00/year and Delphi Enterprise Edition costs $1999.00/year.
Free trial of Delphi is available here.
#25) Zoho Creator
Zoho Creator is a low-code platform that enables rapid development and delivery of web and mobile applications and assists to Build powerful enterprise software applications 10x faster. You no longer have to write endless lines of code to build an application.
With over 4 million users worldwide and 60+ apps, our platform enhances business productivity. Zoho Creator is featured in Gartner Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Low-Code Application Platforms (LCAP), 2019.
- Create more applications with less effort.
- Connect your business data and collaborate across teams.
- Create insightful reports.
- Gain instant access to mobile apps.
- Uncompromising security.
Verdict: Zoho Creator provides the low-code application development platform to build enterprise applications. It involves building applications with minimal coding which drastically reduces app-development time and effort.
In this article, we have researched and listed popular, modern and latest Software Development Tools along with their features, supported platforms and pricing details.
This is a comprehensive list of programming tools used for development on any modern project. You can boost your productivity by using these latest easy to use and learn dev tools.