Learn How to Perform Website Performance Testing with The Best Website Performance Tools and Service Providers:
Our previous tutorial briefed us on How to Perform Manual Performance Testing in simple terms.
Performance Testing is considered as one of the most challenging testing. However, it is “the most important testing that is done for any website” as it directly impacts the revenue generated.
Website Performance testing isn’t that simple like the functional or any other black box testing technique because of its complicated real like setup required for testing.
It requires special attention and there are several factors to be kept in mind before performing this test.
In this tutorial, I have covered details on what really is Website performance testing, what steps should we take to performance test a website, what are the tools that can be used for testing and some of its service providers in the current market.
What You Will Learn:
What is Website Performance Testing?
A performance test is non-functional testing done to test the responsiveness, throughput, and the scalability of a website under test. This mainly benefits in improving the user experience and increase in revenue generation.
There are various types of performance test that can be done like the ones given below:
- Performance Test – This testing includes checking the responsiveness, speed, and scalability of the website.
- Load Test – This is done to verify the website behavior under a certain workload.
- Stress Test – This helps a tester find out how the system reacts under extreme load conditions. This helps in finding issues related to memory leaks, synchronization etc.
- Capacity Test – This test is done to ensure how many users/transaction can be supported at a time.
- Endurance Test – This is done to ensure if the system will be able to handle the expected load for a long period of time.
How To Perform Web App Performance Testing?
Before you start performance testing a website, there are few considerations that are to be kept in the mind.
- Understand the purpose of the Website, try to find out if it involves payment gateways, web services etc.
- Understand the reason for performance testing and find out what actually needs to be measured like the number of users, volume, response time etc.
- Understand the customer’s expectation.
- Understand the Project schedule and the QA window.
- Understand the availability of resources and QA tools.
You can also create a checklist to note down the Performance Analysis/Acceptance criteria’s like:
- What’s the acceptable time between transactions/user clicks?
- What’s the expected average session duration of a user?
- What’s the acceptable page load time?
- Are there current baselines available to measure against?
- What analytics tools are used to identify high volumes?
Steps to Performance Test a Website
Given below is a pictorial representation of the steps involved while performance testing a website:
Top Website Performance Testing Companies
Here is the list of the top web performance testing service provider companies.
#1) QA Madness
The team challenges the system against various stress scenarios with the help of performance testing tools and thorough script-writing. The provider offers to check daily software operating capacity as well as measure software response time under the extreme workload.
2) Neustar Click here to check the official website.
3) Soasta Click here to check the official website.
4) NCCGroup Click here to check the official website.
5) BTC Technologies Click here to check the official website.
6) QA Consultants Click here to check the official website.
7) KiwiQA Click here to check the official website.
8) QA Infotech Click here to check the official website.
9) LogiGear Click here to check the official website.
10) Starq Click here to check the official website.
This is a free tool to test the website’s performance. It was primarily developed and is supported by Google. Click here to know more about this tool.
#2) Pingdom Tools
It is easy to use the website performance testing tool. This tool is trusted by several users all over the globe. Click here to know more about this tool.
#3) PageSpeed Tool By Google
This tool belongs to the Google family and was primarily designed to stimulate optimization of website performance. Click here to know more about this tool.
#4) Dotcom Monitor
It is a powerful website monitoring and performance testing tool. Few of its clients include Xerox, Citrix, Dell etc. Click here to know more about this tool.
#5) Web Page Analyser
This is a Free Website Performance Tool and is a Web Page Speed Analyser. It has a vast client base. This tool recommends speed improvements based on usability. Click here to know more about this tool.
This tool includes almost all the basic features that are required to carry out testing. To download the trial version, you can refer to the link given below. Click here to know more about this tool.
This is one of the fastest tools available in the market. This tool helps in eliminating the bottlenecks in web as well as mobile applications in a cost-effective way. Click here to know more about this tool.
This tool has several features, which thereby makes it a unique one in the market. It monitors the sites 24/7, all over the globe. Click here to know more about this tool.
This tool has several prominent features to satisfy the expectations of its customers. Click here to know more about this tool.
It has a vast client base as a result of its service. Few of its clients include GoDaddy, Symantec, Intel, Sony Pictures etc. Click here to know more about this tool.
#11) Load UI
This tool has come from the makers of SoapUI and mainly targets on webs services. Click here to know more about this tool.
#12) Test Studio
This tool tests mobile, web & desktop applications and provides a complete test automation solution for Load, Performance, GUI etc. Click here to know more about this tool.
This is a part of an operating system and has its own prominent features to satisfy its customers. Click here to know more about this tool.
This is a simple and easy to understand open-source Java application. It is a very popular and powerful tool as well. Click here to know more about this tool.
#15) Webserver Stress Tool
This is a free performance, load and stress tool that is available for Web users. To download and check for detailed information about this tool, refer the below link. Click here to know more about this tool.
If you have been in the performance testing sector, you will clearly understand how vast the topic is.
It is not possible to cover all the topics in this tutorial. However, I have tried to cover just the important aspects of Website Performance testing to give you a very basic idea of what it is. Hope, this tutorial would have given you pointers on why performance testing is considered to be so important and what all points should be kept in mind before performing the test.
Let us know your thoughts/suggestions in the comments section below. The best Performance Testing Companies are reviewed in our upcoming tutorial.