List and Comparison of Top Free Agile Project Management Tools and Software:
We have brought up for you the list of the top Agile project management tools along with the highlights of each tool.
As Agile is one of the most popular and in-demand software development methodologies these days, we are sure that this list will be very helpful for you to decide, choose and learn about the agile project management software that can be used in your project.
Before we delve into the tools list, it is quite important for you to understand the concept of Agile.
What is Agile?
If you go with the literal meaning of the word Agile, it means – “able to move quickly and easily”. The same meaning applies here when we talk about Agile in terms of project management or software development.
Agile is a project management methodology, mainly used for software development, which is attributed to the division of a whole task into multiple smaller tasks and attach them with the short & incremental phases of work known as sprints.
The main intention behind this approach is rapid & early delivery, frequent reassessment & adaptive planning, continuous improvement and flexible response to change.
Assuming that you have now got the basic idea of Agile, let’s move forward and explore about Agile project management tools.
What You Will Learn:
- List of the Best Agile Project Management Tools
- #1) monday.com
- #2) Nifty
- #3) Wrike
- #4) SpiraTeam by Inflectra
- #5) ClickUp
- #6) Teamwork
- #7) Freshservice
- #8) Atlassian JIRA
- #9) Active Collab
- #10) Agilo for Scrum
- #11) Pivotal Tracker
- #12) Microsoft Visual Studio Team Services(VSTS)
- #13) Icescrum
- #14) Hygger
- #15) Gravity
- #16) SprintGround
- #17) VersionOne
- #18) VivifyScrum
- #19) Taiga
- #20) Quire
- Additional Tools
List of the Best Agile Project Management Tools
Here is the list of the most popular software used for Agile project management:
- Atlassian Jira
- Active Collab
- Agilo for Scrum
- Pivotal Tracker
- Toggl Plan
Here we go! Let’s see more details with the comparison for these Agile Tools.
monday.com will help you with project management with features like reporting, Calendar, time tracking, planning, etc. It is suitable for any business size.
- Project development can be tracked through Kanban, Timeline, or Charts.
- It has functionalities for planning sprints, and creating user stories and assigning to team members.
- It provides good collaboration features.
- Integration with third-party applications.
- It provides a free trial.
- Basic Plan: $25 per 5 users per month.
- Standard: $39 per 5 users per month.
- Pro: $59 per 5 users per month.
- Enterprise: Get a quote.
Nifty is an agile project management workspace to plan your projects with milestones and integrated tasks to automate your visual progress reporting.
Nifty really does an amazing job at combining multiple tools to encompass the entirety of a project cycle. It strikes the perfect balance between big-picture planning (roadmap is fantastic) and the daily grind (tasks, files, and collaboration).
- Projects can be managed through Kanban-style Tasks that can be connected with Milestones.
- Project Overview provides a birds-eye view of the progression of all your projects.
- Documents can be created directly within each project.
- Team Chat widget allows communication while working in any pocket of Nifty.
Pros: Beautiful interface, very intuitive. The ease of use and transitioning is a huge plus. Amazing support team.
Cons: Nothing significant enough to mention.
- Starter: $39 per month
- Pro: $79 per month
- Business: $124 per month
- Enterprise: Contact them to get a quote.
All Plans Include:
- Unlimited active projects
- Unlimited guests & clients
- Docs & files
- Team chat
- Time tracking & reporting
- iOS, Android, and Desktop apps
- Google single sign-on (SSO)
- Open API
Wrike is an online, agile, and real-time project management application that boosts communication among the teams. Its simplicity and responsibility make the users achieve the results on time.
- Wrike is mainly used in mid-sized or large projects.
- Wrike gets integrated with all devices like Android and iPhone etc. through which the users stay updated on open projects as well as completed projects.
- It is too expensive for small companies and projects.
#4) SpiraTeam by Inflectra
Visit Website: SpiraTeam
SpiraTeam® is a complete agile software development management system for businesses that use Agile methods.
In its 6th version, SpiraTeam covers every step of the project management process from requirements, releases, iterations, to tasks and bugs/issues and allows agile teams of all sizes to deliver high-quality software with speed and efficiency.
SpiraTeam is designed for managing complex projects and large teams in regulated industries. For this SpiraTeam uses program and portfolio management and requirements traceability, audit trails, document management, and executive dashboards complete with Gantt charts and role-specific views.
In SpiraTeam, each project has a dashboard home page that summarizes all of the information regarding the project into a comprehensive, easily digestible form that provides a “one-stop-shop” for people interested in understanding the overall status of the project at a glance.
SpiraTeam offers a bird’s-eye view of all types of artifacts (requirements, test cases, incidents, etc.) that business analysts and managers can use to drill down into the appropriate section of the application.
SpiraTeam – Project Management Software Designed for Agile Projects.
ClickUp is a cloud-based platform for process management, task management, and time management. With templates, it makes managing projects, people, resources, roadmaps, docs & wiki easier.
- Real-time collaboration
- Multiple views including Workload View.
- Drag and drop functionality is available.
- Advanced filters, sorting, and search facility available.
- It provides templates.
- The tool can be used to manage multiple projects.
- Free Forever
- Unlimited: $5/member/month
- Business: $9/member/month
- Enterprise: Get a quote.
Teamwork is an all-in-one project management tool for client work and can be a perfect agile project management tool. It offers flexibility in terms of visual boards, task lists, and Gantt charts. It will let you organize the workflows as you want. It is an end-to-end solution for managing the projects.
- Real-time collaboration
- Kanban boards
- Time tracking
- Powerful filters to drill down the required information.
- Templates that can scale high-performance processes.
- You can have unlimited client users.
- It offers a free plan.
- No such cons to mention.
- Free trial for 30 days
- Free plan
- Deliver: $10/user/month
- Grow: $18/user/month
- Scale: Get a quote.
Freshservice provides a complete project management toolkit. It enables greater collaboration and will help you to align your IT to your business goals. It has functionalities for managing the projects from planning to execution.
- Its task management features will let you organize projects into tasks and nested subtasks.
- It provides the features of alerts, filter tasks, and Watcher.
- It provides functionalities to collaborate, brainstorm ideas, and share context across teams.
- Tracking and managing all the tickets, changes, and assets related to projects through a single platform.
- Projects can be organized into tasks and nested subtasks. So it will be easier to assign them to individual owners.
- Limited integration capabilities.
- Free Trial: 21 days
- You can start for free
- Blossom: $19 per agent per month
- Garden: $49 per agent per month
- Estate: $79 per agent per month
- Forest: $99 per agent per month
#8) Atlassian JIRA
No doubt, Atlassian JIRA is one of the best project management tools used by Agile teams.
Ideal for most offices. Mainly- IT professionals, institutional designers, working in a shared environment.
- Customizable Scrum Boards that can make to fit according to your team’s workflow. These scrum boards are used to visualize all the work in a sprint. Any backlog moves automatically to the newsprint.
- Flexible Kanban boards for continuously delivering maximum output at minimum effort.
- Out of the box agile reporting that shows the real-time image of the sprint with the help of burnout chart, sprint report, a cumulative flow diagram, velocity chart, epic report, release burn down, etc.
- Custom filters using JIRA Query Language (JQL).
- Developer tool integrations.
- 1000+ add-ons.
- Rich APIs.
- On the go mobile apps that ensure an uninterrupted flow of work.
- Customizable workflows.
Below are some screen prints for you that depict how the scrum board for agile teams and the agile report looks like:
- It is highly extensible and extremely customizable as per your project needs.
- It is a mature and proven product used by thousands of big companies around the globe. So, it has a large and active community.
- A lot of out of the box features bring in long-term benefits to the project.
- Very helpful for start-ups as it is cheap for small teams.
- It is hard to set up and takes a long time to learn using it properly.
- Many core features are available only as paid add-ons.
- Too many features make it complex to use for some teams at times.
- Cloud: $10 per month for up to 10 users for small teams and $75 per month for up to 15 users for growing teams.
- Self-hosted: $10 as a one-time payment for 10 users on the server and $12,000 per year for 500 users on Datacenter.
Visit Atlassian JIRA Website: Atlassian JIRA
#9) Active Collab
This is yet another powerful agile project management tool.
Ideal for small businesses.
- Task management: All the work is in one place. We can track all the updates by looking at the dashboard.
- Task filtering: Immediately search for what you want.
- Seamless workflow
- Adapts to your workflow
- Email integration
- Great team collaboration with features like All-in-one calendar, @mentions, and collaborative writing.
- Time tracking: Log time on projects, the timer app, time tracking reports.
- Also, offers invoicing features.
- Quick and easy to use.
- A reliable tool with a lovely interface.
- Rich features with moderate price.
- Does not have a sprint planning option.
- Have few issues with customization.
- Cloud: $25/month for 5 members with 5GB space and $299/month for any number of members with 500 GB space.
- Self-Hosted: $999 a one-time payment.
Visit Active Collab Website: Active Collab
#10) Agilo for Scrum
Ideal for teams that require powerful communication.
- Offers real-time intuitive workflow for Agile projects.
- Organizes the product backlog efficiently with features like user stories, higher-level themes, prioritization, and overview on product ongoing process.
- Supports sprint panning 1 & 2.
- Estimate your sprint.
- Real-time scrum board
- One-click approval of completed stories.
- Ideal for distributed teams
- Well priced
- Great communication system
- No mobile app
- Cannot host more than one project
- Few people have found it difficult to learn
- € 10/month for single teams and € 20 per month for multiple teams.
Visit Agilo for Scrum Website: Agilo for Scrum
#11) Pivotal Tracker
Ideal for the web and mobile developers.
- Helps in developing and keeping track of all the stories from start to deliver.
- Several point scales for estimation & prioritization.
- Automatic planning based on velocity.
- Multi-project workspaces where all responsibilities are seen on one screen.
- Analytical representation of team health through project trends, burnup, cumulative flow, feat, cycle time report, released reports, etc.
- Other features: Notifications, Mentions & following, Search, file sharing, labels, tasks, API, story linking, project history.
Below are some screen-prints that will show you how the API, workspace, and story management screens look like.
- Also available on the iPad.
- Offers a lot of integration options to extend the functionality.
- All the main things can be tracked on a single page view.
- Somewhat expensive
- Difficult to maintain a dashboard for a large team.
- Free for team size up to 3.
- Free for public projects, educators & non-profits.
- Startup: $12.50/month for 5 collaborators & $29.10/month for 10 collaborators.
- Pro: $62.50/month for 15 collaborators, $125.00/month for 25 collaborators & $250.00/month for 50 collaborators
Visit Pivotal Tracker Website: Pivotal Tracker
#12) Microsoft Visual Studio Team Services(VSTS)
- Flexible Kanban boards
- Unparalleled traceability through Backlogs
- Customizable dashboards
- Built-in scrum boards
- Connect to code- all code changes get linked directly to tasks/bugs.
- Offers continuous integration.
- Git client support
- A complete & powerful agile project management tool. It has almost all the functionalities that are needed to support the scrum team – Backlog management, capacity management, Kanban, scrum boards, etc.
- Build, test and release steps can be set up quickly.
- Easy to use and graphically appealing.
- Available only on the web. No Android or iOS version is available.
- Free for up to 5 users (with basic features)
- $30/month for 10 users
Visit VSTS Website: Microsoft Visual Studio Team Services
iceScrum is a truly agile project management tool. It is built on a free and open-source agile core that can be enhanced with 40+ apps & integrations.
- First-class Scrum & Agile support: leverage visual management to define and estimate user stories in a product backlog, plan them into sprints, manage development in the sprint task board, validate stories with acceptance tests and definition of done…
- Agile indicators: burnup and burndown charts, sprint velocity, team capacity, advanced reports (Excel, CSV…)
- High-level vision with SAFe, LeSS, agile roadmaps
- Seamless online collaboration through real-time boards
- Powerful integrations: Slack, JIRA, Jenkins, Travis, GitLab, Google Drive, Zapier, FeatureMap, REST API…
- Customer support team with a lot of experience in agile methodologies, always available to help you
Cloud – Free to use, optional paying plans:
- Monthly plan (starting at 8,90€/month)
- Yearly plan (starting at 89€/year)
On-premise – Free to use, optional paying licenses:
- Yearly license (starting at 900€/year)
- Perpetual license (starting at 5990€)
Visit Icescrum website: Icescrum
Hygger – is a project management tool with built-in prioritization. A perfect solution for Agile teams in any sphere.
Establish specific project goals and break them into an actionable plan. Create and share beautiful roadmaps, distribute tasks on Kanban boards and prioritize them wisely using Value/Effort matrix or other technique. Coordinate and collaborate with the team in real-time and enjoy full transparency of work.
Hygger is a perfect tool for software development, product management, marketing, creative agencies, and others.
- Kanban boards, Tasks lists, Timelines
- WIP Limits. Limit the number of tasks in progress to focus your team only on current tasks.
- Prioritization. Set clear priorities on what task to do next.
- Swimlanes. Separate the tasks on boards by horizontal lanes.
- Labels. Categorize your tasks and then filter them using a quick labels filter.
- Time Tracking with Reports. Track your team’s efficiency.
- Due Dates. Set up the deadlines, not only time estimation.
- And many others…
- Plenty of ready-made templates
- Mobile version is a bit limited in features
- Free plan
- Standard plan (from 7$ per user per month)
- Enterprise plan (from 14$ per user per month)
- Clean and simple interface
- True visibility through user stories.
- Intuitive bug tracking
- Powerful labels
- Reports – burndown charts, cumulative flow, project cost, etc.
- Email Notifications
- Integration with Google apps
- Seamless code review.
- Easy drag and drop editing.
- No need to register – sign in through your Google or Yahoo account.
- No cons have been observed as such.
- Free for public and open-source projects.
- Developer Edition: $7/month
- Team Edition: $9 per user/month
- Business Edition: $21 per user/month
Ideal for software developers.
- Task management: you can prioritize, categorize, order, filter and search tasks.
- Issue and bug tracking
- Time tracking and automatic estimates
- Development progress tracking
- Does collaboration among team & tasks in real-time.
- Organizes ideas, suggestions, questions and feedback.
- Clear visual overview of the things happening in the project.
- Supports both Scrum & Kanban.
- Excels in task management
- Great for software development projects.
- No Gantt charts
- Lack of customization
- Limited file storage regardless of plan.
- Free up to 3 users, 2 projects with 50 MB storage.
- Starter: 8 users, unlimited projects, 1GB file storage – €24/month.
- Business: 20 users, unlimited projects, 2GB file storage – €59/month.
- Business: 21+ users, unlimited projects, 5GB file storage – €5/user/month.
Ideal for IT professionals & tech-savvy designers.
- Supports methodologies like scaled agile framework, Kanban, DAD, LeSS, Hybrid approach.
- End to end visibility
- Connects with software development ecosystem
- Management insight
- Team simplicity
- User story management
- Release and sprint planning
- Storyboard, taskboard and test board
- Acceptance test tracking
- Burndown and velocity reporting
- Easy to use
- Great integration systems
- Suitable for remote teams
- Too many features.
- The free version is very limited.
- Free for 1 project & 1 team
- $29 per user per month and Up to $175 a month based on number of users and features
A web-based agile project management tool for managing multiple projects.
- Customizable collaboration boards
- Scrum Board offers Product Backlog and, for active Sprints, Sprint Backlog, and Burndown chart
- Kanban Board offers lists with a possibility to limit the work in progress (WIP)
- Various task details: type, assignees, reviewers, checklists, description, interactive comment section, labels, estimation
- In-app time tracker that automatically creates work logs on relevant tasks. Worklogs can be used to generate invoices or reports
- Managing team engagements across projects
- Creating and sending invoices to selected clients from the base
- External integrations such as Slack, GitLab, GitHub, Travis CI, Semaphore, etc.
- Easy to learn and use
- Good for distributed teams
- Suitable for both small teams and large organizations
- Features like team management, invoicing, the client base for managing large organizations
- Available as a web and desktop app
- Free online Scrum course VivifyScrum EDU available with the VivifyScrum account credentials
- Few options for exporting reports
- Free plan is free forever with unlimited users, boards and tasks (includes basic features)
- The premium plan starts at $10/month for teams up to 10 members (includes all features)
Ideal for content developers from various verticals.
- open source
- Issue tracking
- You can make video calls to team members
- Supports Scrum and Kanban
- Multiplatform importers
- Epics multi-project
- Simple to use.
- Easy customization.
- Elegant & beautiful.
- Too many functionalities for small projects.
- Free for public projects.
- Free up to 4 users per private project.
- Paid version starts from $19/month/private project for up to 25 members.
Quire is an agile task management software that helps you achieve higher productivity and get things done with multiple nested task lists and Kanban boards. Suitable for dynamic teams to collaborate and track progress.
You can get your teams on board with Quire set up each member with different roles and permissions. Quire allows you to create and manage all of your tasks categorized into different projects. With the hierarchical structure, all of your complex projects can be neatly organized and easily collaborate with other team members.
- Nested task list
- Kanban boards
- Recurring dates, Due dates, Start dates
- Calendar, Slack integrations.
- Dynamic Reports
- Intuitive, simple and clean interface.
- Easy to use and straightforward.
- Cross-device platform
- Data export and backup.
- Project template
Lack of diverse theme options.
Apart from these above 10 tools, there are some other very good tools that are worth to mention when we talk about agile project management.
#21) ServiceNow ITBM
ServiceNow IT Business Management (ITBM) is a leading strategic portfolio management tool with extensive agile project management capabilities according to the Forrester Wave report.
It delivers features for planning and scheduling agile development efforts, managing resources based on project priorities and tracking task execution. Besides, ServiceNow ITBM allows monitoring of agile project costs and offers analytics capabilities for high-level project and portfolio management efforts.
ServiceNow ITBM helps to cut project costs, speed up agile development processes and better align IT to business needs.
#22) Toggl Plan
Toggl Plan is a beautiful and simple project management tool for agile teams. It covers all aspects of agile project management, like project planning, task management, and team management.
- Keep your team and stakeholders on the same page with color-coded, intuitive, visual project management.
- Create high-level project roadmaps or detailed, task-level schedules using the project plan timeline view.
- Mark important project dates as milestones.
- Manage a task backlog and plan sprints using the project board view.
- Bring clarity to work with rich-text task descriptions, due dates, tags, task checklists.
- Collaboratively work on tasks with other team members. Add comments and file attachments to tasks.
- Manage your team’s workload and plan work around their availability using the team timeline view.
- Zoom in on a week, month, quarter, or year on the timelines to better plan work.
- Get email notifications about critical tasks and milestones.
- Integrates with Slack, Google Calendar, Github, Trello, and Toggl Track.
- It comes with a Google Chrome browser extension to quickly add tasks.
- Easy to get started and use.
- Intuitive, color-coded, visual project management.
- Has both boards and timeline views.
- Nothing significant worth mentioning.
- Free plan for project teams up to 5 users.
- The premium plan comes at $9 per user, billed monthly.
Hive will allow you to organize projects in a Gantt chart, Kanban board, table, or calendar view. It takes the maximum advantage of AI and machine learning for Hive analytics. It gives an interactive and customizable dashboard.
- It provides the features to design custom workflows and automate routine tasks.
- Action Templates will let you plan and repeat tasks easily
- It provides many more features like forms, action templates, analytics, resourcing, etc.
- You can access all the information through action cards.
- It is a rich in features platform that will let you plan, execute, communicate, and monitor.
- As per customer reviews, Hive’s mobile app is not that responsive.
- Free trial available.
- Basic package: $12 per user per month for annual billing.
- Add-on price starts at $3 per user per month.
Favro is the most agile tool with four easily learnable building blocks, Cards, Boards, Collections, and Relations.
- Cards provide the facility to write, create content, goals, tasks, etc.
- Collaboration features with real-time feedback facility.
- You can configure boards to view cards in various ways such as Kanban, Sheet, Timeline, etc.
- Favro Relations feature will help everyone to understand the interaction and navigation between the teams and verticals.
- Favro has all the capabilities required for organizing everything from simple team workflow to entire enterprises.
- The tool is suitable for newbies, team leaders, as well as for CEOs.
Cons: No such cons to mention.
- Favro offers a free trial for 14 days.
- Lite: $25.5 per month (Price is for annual billing & 5 users)
- Standard: $34 per month (Price is for annual billing & 5 users)
- Enterprise: $63.75 per month (Price is for annual billing & 5 users)
- Monthly billing plans are also available.
- Zoho Projects
- Semantic Sales
Since agile is one of the widely used and most popular project management and software development methodologies these days, there are a lot of agile project management tools available in the market.
The above list will surely help you to choose the best project management tool as per your needs. As almost all the above tools have a free trial version available, I would suggest that you should try the tool once & explore its features before making the purchase decision.
If we have missed out on any tool here that you think aids in agile project management, your suggestions and experiences are most welcomed!