Explore the Best open source free and online Data Modeling Tools along with their Features:
What is Data Modeling?
Data modeling is the process of applying the techniques and methodologies to the data (data requirements) in order to convert it in a useful form. The process converts complex software design into a simple easy to understand diagram with the data flow.
In simple terms, whatever data we have, in order to store that data in a database, we have to convert it into a certain form (i.e. data model needs to be created). Thus Data Modeling tools will allow you to draw diagrams as it is easy to connect and understand data diagrammatically.
Data modeling tools help us to create a database structure from these diagrams. Hence it becomes easier to connect data and form a perfect data structure as per our requirement.
Different tools support different operating systems and most of the data modelers support Windows operating system. While a few support Mac and Linux. Also, different tools support different databases.
These tools offer features like the creation of data structure from diagrams, forward & reverse engineering, import & export facility, documentation, support for multiple databases, reporting, etc. Some tools can be used online as well.
Some data model tools can be integrated with big data platforms like MongoDB or Hadoop Hive. These tools can also be called as big data modeling tools. An example of such a tool is ER/Studio.
Data modeling in the warehouse is nothing but using the data models to design the database conceptually, logically, and physically. Similarly, they are used for creating relational tables, primary & foreign keys, and stored procedures.
Logical and Physical models: Physical model, in simple terms, is the real design of the database as per the requirements based on the logical modeling. The selection of the right data modeling tool depends on mandatory features, database support, operating system support, and price of the tool.
Get a Free Quote of The Best Data Modeling Tools:
In this article, we will explore the top data modeling tools in detail, along with their comparison.
What You Will Learn:
- Most Popular Data Modeling Tools
- Comparison of Best Data Modeling Software
- #1) Whatagraph
- #2) Xplenty
- #3) ER/Studio
- #4) PowerDesigner
- #5) Erwin Data Modeler
- #6) Oracle SQL Developer Data Modeler
- #7) Archi
- #8) SQL DBM
- #9) Database Deployment Manager
- #10) Sparx Systems Enterprise Architect
- #11) MySQL Workbench
- #12) IBM InfoSphere Data Architect
- Additional Tools
Most Popular Data Modeling Tools
Given below is the list of the most popular and frequently used paid as well as open-source free Data Modeling Tools.
Comparison of Best Data Modeling Software
|Data Modeling Tools||Operating System||Supported Databases||Forward & Reverse Engineering||Price||Best For|
|Whatagraph||Web-based||--||--||It starts at $119/month.||Marketing Analytics and Social Media Reporting.|
|Xplenty||Windows & Mac||Relational databases, NoSQL data stores, and Cloud storage file sources.||--||Get a quote||Data integration|
Visual FoxPro, and Other Databases.
It supports many databases using ODBC/ANSI SQL.
|Both||ER/Studio Data Architect: Starts at $1470.40 per user. ER/Studio Business Architect: $920 per user.||Consistency in naming standards.|
Red Bric Warehouse, SAP Business Suite, SAP Hana,
SAP Adaptive Server Enterprise,
SAP SQL Anywhere, Teradata and
|Both||Contact SAP account executive.||Web-based Reporting, Link-and-Sync Technology, Impact Analysis.|
|Erwin Data modeler||Windows||Sybase and Other Databases. |
It supports many databases using ODBC/ANSI SQL.
|Both||Contact them for pricing details.||Can work in cloud and in data warehouse with structured and unstructured data.|
|Oracle SQL Developer Data Modeler||Cross-platform||Oracle, |
MS SQL Server,
|Both||Free.||It is a graphical tool.|
|Archi||Cross-platform||---||---||Free||Models and designs creation are easy.|
**Other Databases: Access, IBM DB2, Informix, MySQL, Netezza, Oracle, PostgreSQL, MS SQL Server.
Whatagraph offers a visual representation of data modeling. It automatically aggregates data from many different sources, leaving it up to the user to decide how to model the data display. The tool also has some pre-built data modeling templates for reports and dashboards.
- Automatic integrations with social media platforms like Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest, and others.
- Automatic integrations with Google Ads, Google Analytics, Google My Business, and more.
- Automatic integrations with Shopify, Woocommerce, and more e-commerce platforms pending.
- Intuitive drag & drop interface with editable widgets.
- Custom data input via Google Sheets or Public API.
- Frequent data refresh, depending on the integration.
- 7-day free trial.
- Professional 99 EUR/mon
- Premium 239 EUR/mon
- Growth from 609 EUR/mon
Verdict: An intuitive tool with emphasis on GUI functionality. With connected data sources and pre-built data modeling templates, it’s a tool for both data pro and casual users.
Xplenty is cloud-based data integration, ETL, or ELT platform that streamlines data processing. It will let you create simple and visualized data pipelines for your data warehouse.
Xplenty’s workflow engine will help you to orchestrate and schedule data pipelines. It has functionalities to integrate, process, and prepare data for analytics on the cloud.
- Xplenty will efficiently centralize and prepare data for business intelligence.
- It has low-code and no-code ETL capabilities and this makes the platform easy to use for anyone.
- It can transfer and transform data between databases and data warehouses.
- It provides more than 100 connectors to integrate data from various data stores and SaaS applications.
Tool cost/Price details: You can get a quote for pricing details. Xplenty offers a free trial for 7 days. It follows a subscription-based pricing model.
Verdict: Xplenty is an elastic and scalable cloud platform. It can bring all your data sources together.
ER/Studio is a tool for data architecture and database design.
Data architects, modelers, DBAs, and Business analysts find ER/Studio useful for creating and managing the database designs and reusing of data. It was developed by Embarcadero Technologies. The tool can automatically generate the code for the database.
The tool helps in representing the business concepts with full documentation of attributes and definitions.
- It supports logical as well as physical designs.
- The tool performs impact analysis, for the new changes at the database level.
- It supports automation and scripting.
- Supported presentation formats include: HTML, PNG, JPEG, RTF, XML, Schema, and DTD.
- ER/Studio ensures consistency between models and databases.
Tool cost/Price details: ER/Studio Data Architect price starts at $1470.40 per user. ER/Studio Business Architect price is $920 per user and DB change manager price starts at $1622.40 per user.
Verdict: It is best suitable for maintaining the consistency in naming standards. The tool is best for logical as well as physical design. Meanwhile, comparing the model and actual database feature is very useful.
PowerDesigner will help you to handle the complex data.
It offers a data modeling tool, link-and-sync technology, and metadata management. It will perform impact analysis for new technologies. You can create multi-model documents. It has a drag-and-drop mapping editor, for information mapping.
- It can perform an impact analysis for the integrated models on project or enterprise-wide.
- It can create connections between requirements, data models, and business languages. It uses link-and-sync technology for this purpose.
- For all modeling types, developers and enterprise architects can share data with secure metadata repository.
- It provides web-based reporting.
- It can create wizard-driven system documentation.
- It supports an open software environment.
- Supported file extensions for saving models include .bpm, .cdm, and .pdm.
Tool cost/Price details: Contact the SAP account executive.
Verdict: It is one of the best data modeling tools. It provides many out of the box functionalities. Impact analysis, link-and-sync technology, and web-based reporting are some of its most useful features.
#5) Erwin Data Modeler
Erwin provides three different solutions related to data modeling.
One is the Erwin DM standard edition to create and apply visual data models from hybrid data infrastructures. Second is Erwin DM Workgroup Edition which has all the functionalities of the standard edition and some additional functionalities like centralized model management repository and change management with audit capabilities.
The third one is Erwin DM Navigator Edition which is for giving the ‘read’ access to Erwin data models and metadata.
- It has a graphical interface to generate data models.
- You can reuse model templates, domains, automation macros, naming and data type standards.
- It supports collaborative modeling with a conflict resolution.
- It provides a change management feature which includes audit capabilities.
- It has a centralized model management repository.
- You can give access to read and analyze the data models and metadata, to other people in the organization
- This tool also provides you with the facility to extract data from ERP, CRM, and other enterprise applications.
Tool cost/Price details: Contact them for the pricing details.
Verdict: This data modeling tool is used in every industry. It is used by government, healthcare, finance, retail, and many other industries. It can work with structured and unstructured data from cloud and data warehouses.
Website: Erwin Data Modeler
#6) Oracle SQL Developer Data Modeler
This tool is perfect for small, medium, and large-sized companies.
It is a graphical tool and is available for free. It will help you to create, browse, and update different data models. It has forward and reverse engineering capabilities. You can use this data modeler in the cloud or in a traditional way.
- It supports working with logical, relational, physical, multi-dimensional, and data type models.
- Reverse engineering.
- It allows you to do free diagram nesting, which means you can link diagrams from different models together.
- Impact Analysis.
- Support for reporting repository.
- Generating reports.
Tool cost/Price details: Free.
Verdict: Oracle SQL Developer Data Modeler is a tool with all the required features and functionalities. It is available for free. It is a graphical tool and its reverse engineering feature is most useful.
Website: Oracle SQL Developer Data Modeler
It is an open-source tool that will help you in creating ArchiMate models and sketches. ArchiMate is a modeling language. It is open and independent and is used for enterprise architecture modeling.
- It can be expanded through plugins.
- It supports cross-platform.
- It can be used for sketches.
- It is an open-source tool.
- Support available for ArchiMate 3.0.1 model.
Tool cost/Price details: Free
Verdict: Creating models and designs are easy. However, it needs some improvement in integration with other tools.
#8) SQL DBM
SQL database modeler will allow you to design the SQL database online.
You can import the existing one and generate SQL scripts. It supports MS SQL Server and MySQL. This tool provides a user-friendly UI which is very useful for creating and editing the table. It supports collaboration. You can work with a team from anywhere.
- It supports the conversion of projects from MS SQL Server to MySQL and vice versa.
- It gives the facility to share projects. The shared projects can be used in presentation and documentation.
- You can view the database design online.
- It supports versioning. It creates a new version of the project when you save it. You can roll back to any version and can view any version anytime, anywhere. You can also label these versions.
- Supports the sharing of projects and their versions.
- You can use different view modes.
- It supports forward and reverse engineering.
Tool Price/Plan Details: Free.
Verdict: SQL DBM provides many features for free. It supports forward and reverse engineering. It allows you to select the themes between light and dark. You can create multiple subject areas for covering multiple details of the business needs. This tool is available in the beta version.
Website: SQL DBM
#9) Database Deployment Manager
DBA uses this tool for creating tables, queries, etc. The tool can be used on multiple platforms. It supports Microsoft Windows and Linux operating systems. For database platforms, it supports CUBRID, MySQL, and SQLite. The tool is best for small, medium and enterprises.
- The tool uses an object-oriented methodology for populating multiple databases.
- Reverse engineering.
- Tables are created using object-oriented programming concepts.
- It has a document generator.
- You can create data-types and use those for the columns of the table.
- You can import tables from the database.
- You can validate database designs
Tool Cost/Plan Details: Free
Verdict: It supports object-oriented as well as flat modeling for table structures. It provides a visual query builder. This tool allows you to load data from CSV files. Similar to these features, the tool provides many other useful features as well for free.
Website: Database Deployment Manager
#10) Sparx Systems Enterprise Architect
With the help of this tool, you can create, verify, share ideas, workflows, charts, models and many other things. Its supported databases include DB2, Firebird, MS Access, MySQL, MS SQL Server, Oracle, and PostgreSQL.
This tool is for the Microsoft Windows operating system. You can use it on Linux OS via Wine and on Mac OS via CrossOver. The system can be used by small, medium, and large companies. The tool is useful for Project management as well.
- It has built-in requirements management capabilities.
- Reverse engineering.
- Model-driven architecture.
- Dynamic model simulation.
- It supports many software development languages.
- The tool provides complete traceability from requirement to deployment.
- It has a WYSIWYG editor.
- You can generate documentation.
- Using this tool for project management, you can assign resources to elements, measure risks & efforts, estimate project size, and perform many other tasks.
Tool cost/Price details: Price starts at $229 per license.
Verdict: This graphical tool can work with large models and complex data. It is a multi-user system and offers many features at an affordable price.
Website: Sparx Systems Enterprise Architect
#11) MySQL Workbench
DBAs, Database Architects, and developers use this tool for data modeling, SQL development, server configuration, user administration, and backup. The system supports three operating systems, i.e. Microsoft Windows, Linux, and Mac.
- Forward and reverse engineering.
- It enables you to create complex ER models.
- Change management
- It allows you to migrate RDBMS tables, objects, and data, from Microsoft SQL Server, Microsoft Access, Sybase ASE, and PostgreSQL to MySQL.
- You can create, execute, and optimize SQL queries through visual tools.
- SQL editor has features like auto-complete, syntax highlighting, and reusing SQL snippets, etc.
- Visual tools for configuring servers, backup & recovery, administering users, inspecting audit data and viewing database health.
- Performance dashboard to view the performance of MySQL applications.
Tool cost/Price details: Free
Verdict: This tool provides many advanced features for free. It has a user-friendly GUI. It can be used by developers and designers.
Website: MySQL Workbench
#12) IBM InfoSphere Data Architect
It is a collaborative tool for data modeling and design.
It can be used for Business intelligence, Master data management, and service-oriented architecture. You can use this tool for project management, application design, and data design. It helps in improving productivity, data governance, and business alignment.
- It supports logical and physical data modeling.
- Reverse engineering.
- Supported databases include DB2, Informix, Oracle, Sybase, Microsoft SQL Server, MySQL, and Teradata source systems.
- Import and export facility to import and export constant mappings to and from a CSV file.
- Version control.
- It supports native data querying.
Tool cost/Price details: Contact them for pricing details.
Verdict: It is a paid tool that supports forward and reverse engineering. The system can be used on Windows and Linux.
Website: IBM InfoSphere Data Architect
#13) Toad Data Modeler:
It is the data modeler for the Microsoft Windows operating system. It provides a visual tool for creating, maintaining, and documenting databases. It supports logical and physical data models.
It assists more than 20 platforms for data structures. It enables you to compare and synchronize models. You can create complex SQL or DDL. It supports forward and reverse engineering and detailed reports can be generated.
Website: Toad Data Modeler
#14) Database Workbench:
This tool is for Windows operating system. This tool enables you to create multiple relational databases using SQL. Multiple database systems are supported by Database Workbench. It provides a visual tool to design the database and supports reverse engineering.
For stored routines, you can perform step-by-step debugging. It offers many other features like generating test data, import & export of data, printing database schema, etc. Supported databases include MS SQL Server, MySQL, Oracle, Firebird, InterBase, SQL Anywhere, NexusDB, and MariaDB.
Website: Database Workbench
#15) Feature Selection Toolbox:
This tool is for selecting the feature (attribute or variable). It will help you in reducing data acquisition costs, improving the accuracy of data models, and the performance of automatic decision rules.
Website: Feature Selection Toolbox
To conclude this article on Data Modeling Tools, we can say that ER/Studio is best for maintaining consistency between models and databases.
PowerDesigner supports a large number of databases. Erwin data modeler can work with structured and unstructured data from the cloud as well. Oracle SQL Developer Data Modeler is a free tool with good features and functionalities.
Archi is an open-source tool that allows the creation of ArchiMate models. SQL DBM is also a free tool with good features, but it is available in the beta version. Database Deployment Manager is useful for object-oriented modeling. Sparx Enterprise Architect can work with complex and large data.
MySQL Workbench provides a user-friendly GUI. This was all about the top data modeling tools.
Suggested Reading >> Data Modeling Tutorial
Hope this article will help you in choosing the right Data Modeling Tool!!