List of System Monitoring Software with Features, Comparison & Pricing. Select the Best System Monitoring Tool For your Business Based on Your Requirements:
As an organization grows, the workforce, resources, systems, services, and infrastructure also tend to grow considerably. The term ‘Organization’ covers all the computing resources, services, and infrastructure of any particular business.
Thus, each element inside the system underlies the services provided to several components of the infrastructure. However, System Monitoring Software requires to observe the activities, health, and capacity of both the hosts as well as the applications inside a system.
Fact Check: As per the recent report by Technavio, the IT system monitoring tools market size shall grow by USD 19,02 Billion during 2018-22. The report is generated based on the analysis of trends in the market and geographical locations (use of products location wise).
The research further analyzes the market’s competitive landscape and offers information based on several companies. Our IT monitoring tools market conjecture prophesies that stoked by these factors, the IT monitoring tools market shall grow at a CAGR of over 34% during the forecast period.
What You Will Learn:
- Why System Monitoring Software?
- List Of The Top System Monitoring Software
- Comparison Table Of The Best System Monitoring Tools
- #1) SolarWinds Server and Application Monitor
- #2) eG Innovations
- #3) Datadog
- #4) NinjaRMM
- #5) Site24x7
- #6) Sematext
- #7) PRTG Network Monitor
- #8) Zabbix
- #9) Spiceworks Network Monitor
- #10) Nagios
- #11) OpManager By ManageEngine
- #12) WhatsUp Gold
- #13) Cacti
- #14) Icinga
- #15) OpenNMS
Why System Monitoring Software?
When you are administering a system or an entire infrastructure, you need to ensure that the different system element services are running smoothly to keep your IT services going. Right?
The primary reason is that while using any software, many users notice the performance problem as soon as it arises. They need to get it resolved quickly and find the cause for the issue. System Monitoring Software helps in resolving those issues, which may lead to a significant break in the system.
Enlisted below are some of the goals of System Monitoring Software:
- To monitor the activities of system applications and hosts, both On-premise and Cloud.
- To control the performance of system elements as an application stack.
- To find the root cause of performance issues in any software.
- Real-time monitoring to spot the errors and service failures before they make any impact.
- To monitor servers, network devices, interface performance, and network link capacity.
Given below are some of the frequently asked questions regarding System Monitoring Tools.
Q #1) What is a System Monitoring Tool?
Answer: A system monitoring tool is a component of hardware and (or) software that tracks the resources and performance of any system.
Q #2) What is Result-based monitoring?
Answer: It is the approach for tracking the results and performance of a system on a transparent basis to measure the impact of evaluation.
Q #3) Are there any free Monitoring tools?
Answer: Yes, there are a bunch of free monitoring tools that are available for networks, performance, and systems.
Notably, it’s best to have the total visibility of your infrastructure to prevent system issues and to help you make an informed decision for consistent performance.
The Benefits of using System Monitoring Software are listed below.
- Enabling the data-driven insights and reports of an organization to make better decisions.
- Detect problems early to prevent disaster and increase productivity as well as efficiency.
- Let users prepare, plan, and budget for IT upgrades by knowing how a system interacts with another.
- Remote monitoring helps in saving time and minimizing disruptions.
- Prevents business downtime and losses with proactive maintenance.
#1) Monitoring: Multi-device monitoring, Multiple server monitoring, Network monitoring, Remote monitoring, and Notifications & Alerts.
#2) Reporting: Data visualization, Custom reports, Performance data reports, and Risk analysis.
#3) Security: Administrative access control, Antivirus and Malware Management, Data Backup, and Recovery.
#4) Management: Software / Hardware Inventory, Patch management, Service configuration management, and Policy-based automation.
List Of The Top System Monitoring Software
- SolarWinds Server and Application Monitor
- eG Innovations
- Spiceworks Network Monitor
- OpManager by ManageEngine
- WhatsUp Gold
Comparison Table Of The Best System Monitoring Tools
|Basis||Best for||Free trial/plan||Open-Source||Deployment||Pricing||Languages|
|SolarWinds Server and Application Monitor||Small, medium, and large enterprises.||Free trial of 30 days.||No||Web-based and on-premise.||Quote-based (starting from $2,995).||English, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish.|
|eG Innovations||Small to large businesses, government agencies, etc.||Free trial available.||No||SaaS and On-premise||Get a quote||-|
|Datadog||Small, medium, & large businesses||Free trial available. The free plan also available.||No||On-premises & SaaS.||Starts at $15/host/month||English|
|NinjaRMM||Small to medium-sized businesses & freelancers||Free trial available for 30 days.||No||On-premises & Cloud-hosted||Get a quote||English|
|Zabbix||Small, medium, and large enterprises.||Free||Yes||Web-based||Free||English, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish.|
|Nagios||Small, medium, and large enterprises.||Free trial of 60 days.||No||Web-based||License (starting from $1,995).||English|
Below, you can find the review of each tool with description, features, and the verdict (notably crucial for making a choice), along with the download link.
#1) SolarWinds Server and Application Monitor
SolarWinds Server and Application Monitor Pricing: SolarWinds offers a quote-based pricing plan starting from $2,995 with a free trial of 30-days. You need to request a quote according to your requirements.
SolarWinds has made comprehensive server monitoring simple, lightweight, easy-to-use, and at the same time, powerful enough to handle complex situations. Moreover, it’s application performance monitoring works for more than 1,200 apps and systems.
However, SolarWinds provide different kinds of solutions, including IT security, IT operations, Database management, Network solution, Infrastructure management, Azure Cloud solution, Office 365 solution, Scalability, CISCO solution, and many others.
With SolarWinds, you can get started in a few minutes, customize server monitoring, and visualize app dependencies.
- Active Directory monitoring, Agentless server monitoring, Apache Cassandra monitoring, and App & server response time monitoring.
- App dependency mapping, AWS monitoring tools, Azure IaaS monitoring, Paas monitoring, and Azure performance monitoring.
- Cisco UCS monitoring, CentOS server management, Citrix monitoring for XenApp and XenDesktop, Dell server management and monitoring.
- DNS server performance management, Docker monitoring, Domain controller, end to end file monitoring, email monitoring, and Glassfish performance monitoring.
Verdict: SolarWinds server and application monitor is a sturdy product that provides excellent information and however requires serious tweaking as well. It is simple to use and the software doesn’t give warm fuzzy feelings.
#2) eG Innovations
Best for small to large businesses, government agencies, and managed service providers.
eG Innovations Pricing: eG Innovations is available with various pricing options like Easy Evaluation (Cloud Deployed), Perpetual License (On-premise), Subscription (On-premises), SaaS (Cloud Deployed), and Performance Audit Service (On-premise or cloud).
You can request for the quote. You can start a free trial for the Easy Evaluation plan.
eG Innovations provides an all-in-one application performance and IT infrastructure monitoring solution. You will be able to monitor every layer and every tier of your IT environment. It has built-in domain expertise, KPIs, analytics, reports, and machine learning to detect and diagnose problems automatically.
Deployable as a SaaS solution or on-premises solution, eG Enterprise has a simple universal agent deployment and licensing model that makes it simple to deploy and very cost-effective.
- eG Innovations provide end-to-end performance visibility.
- It has very broad coverage and can monitor 200+ application technologies, 20+ storage devices, 10+ operating systems, and 10+ virtualization platforms. Common cloud environments are also supported.
- It embeds deep virtualization monitoring capabilities. Inside/outside monitoring of VMs provides a 360-degree view of VM performance, simplifying system monitoring, and troubleshooting.
- Agent and agentless monitoring options are available.
- Simple layer model views make it easy to monitor heterogeneous systems and stacks.
Verdict: eG Innovations is a powerful, affordable, and easy-to-use IT monitoring software. With the help of this, you will be able to deliver high performing business applications. It will improve IT operational efficiency.
Best for small to large businesses
Datadog Pricing: Datadog has various solutions like Log Management, Synthetic Monitoring Security Monitoring, etc. The infrastructure plan is to centralize the monitoring of systems and services.
It has three editions i.e. Free, Pro ($15 per host per month), and Enterprise ($23 per host per month). You can try the platform for free.
Datadog is the monitoring, security, and analytics platform for IT ops teams, developers, security engineers, and business users in the cloud age.
The unified, SaaS platform integrates and automates infrastructure monitoring, APM, log management, and security monitoring to give you unified, real-time observability of your entire technology stack.
- Monitor and analyze system-level metrics (CPU, memory, storage) with out-of-the-box dashboards, visualizations, and ML-based actionable alerts.
- Gain end-to-end observability in a single, unified platform by correlating infrastructure metrics to your application’s logs and traces to reduce resolution time, improve user experience, and save on cloud-provider bills.
- Collect more data points across your full technology stack with more than 400 built-in integrations fully supported by Datadog.
- Define and track custom metrics (e.g. number of items abandoned in the shopping cart) collected by Datadog’s open-source DogStatsD daemon.
Verdict: Datadog can detect and address localized regional outages across the globe. It can ensure availability across the globe with synthetics.
Even though you don’t know the query language, you will be able to search and analyze logs with Datadog. It will be easier to associate logs related to specific traces or infrastructure spikes.
Best for: Managed service providers (MSPs), IT service businesses, and SMBs / mid-market companies with small IT departments
NinjaRMM Pricing: NinjaRMM offers a free trial of their product. Ninja is priced on a per-device basis based on the features needed.
NinjaRMM provides intuitive endpoint management software for managed service providers (MSPs) and IT professionals to proactively manage IT issues, from anywhere.
With Ninja, you get a complete set of tools to monitor, manage, secure, and improve all of your network devices and Windows and Mac workstations, laptops, and servers regardless of their location.
- Monitor the health and productivity of all your Windows and MacOS workstations, laptops, and servers.
- Get full hardware and software inventories.
- Remotely manage all your devices without interrupting end-users through a robust suite of remote tools.
- Automate OS and third-party application patching for Windows and MacOS devices.
- Standardize the deployment, configuration, and management of devices with powerful IT automation.
- Directly take control of devices with remote access.
Verdict: NinjaRMM has built a powerful, intuitive IT monitoring platform that drives efficiency, reduces ticket volumes, improves ticket resolution times, and that IT pros love to use.
Site24x7 is an all-in-one cloud-based monitoring solution for IT and DevOps teams of all shapes and sizes – starting from startups and SMBs to Fortune 500 companies.
From websites, servers, logs, applications, network devices, virtualization environment, to the recording the experience of users in real-time, Site24x7 covers it all. Site24x7 offers a 30-day free trial and the pricing starts from $9 for 10 websites/servers per month.
- Covers the entire IT stack providing end-to-end visibility and performance insight.
- Agent-based and agentless monitoring capabilities.
- More than 100 plugin integrations including MySQL, Apache Tomcat, Nagios, Redis, Memcached, and more.
- Automatic fault resolution system for immediate incident remediation and avoid repetitive manual tasks.
- Robust AI-based forecasting engine to preempt resource constraints and prevent potential issues.
- Centralized log management service for your entire IT environment.
- Customizable dashboards and detailed root cause analysis reports.
- Instant alerting via voice, SMS, call, and third-party integrations including Slack, Zapier, PagerDuty, Microsoft Teams, Zoho Analytics, and more.
- A secure, scalable, and affordable monitoring suite for Managed Service Providers (MSP) and Cloud Service Providers (CSP).
Available both on-premise and in the cloud, Sematext Cloud is an end-to-end observability solution that helps you monitor the health of your IT infrastructure in real-time. It brings metrics, logs, and events under one roof for easier, faster, and better troubleshooting.
With advanced dashboards that centralize key cloud apps and infra metrics that come out of the box, Sematext also features a powerful anomaly detection and scheduling solution that gives you both reactive and predictive monitoring capabilities.
This makes it easy for you to understand what happens behind the scenes and helps you deliver a better experience to your users.
- Auto-discovery of services enables hands-off auto-monitoring.
- Lots of the box integrations, including MySQL, Apache Cassandra, and many more.
- Lightweight, open-sourced, and pluggable agents.
- Powerful Machine Learning-based alerting and notifications system to quickly inform you about issues and potential problems with your environment.
- Network, database, processes, and inventory monitoring.
- Alerting with anomaly detection and support for external notification services like PagerDuty, OpsGenie, VictorOps, WebHooks, etc.
- Easy correlation of performance metrics, logs, and various events.
- Straightforward pricing with free plans available, generous 14-days trial.
Verdict: Sematext delivers a phenomenal service with a pricing scheme that is straightforward and can be tailored to fit your exact needs.
#7) PRTG Network Monitor
PRTG Network Monitor Pricing: PRTG offers a free trial for 30 days, and after completion, it reverts to a free version.
You can also upgrade to Premium through the following plans:
- PRTG 500: For 500 sensors (from $1,600)
- PRTG 1000: For 1,000 sensors (from $2,850)
- PRTG 2500: For 2,500 sensors (from $5,950)
- PRTG 5000: For 5,000 sensors (from $10,500)
- PRTG XL1: For unlimited sensors (from $14,500)
- PRTG XL5: For unlimited sensors (from $60,000)
Also, if you need a custom plan, you can request a quote according to your requirements.
PRTG network monitor lets you observe all the systems, devices, traffic, and applications in your IT infrastructure. Besides, PRTG is a powerful and easy-to-use solution that is suitable for all sizes for business.
The best part about PRTG is that everything is inclusive with it i.e. there is no need for additional plugins to download. You can also download the free version of PRTG, however, it has limitations.
- Flexible alerting for free push notifications, text messages, and executing EXE files that lets you stay up to date.
- Multiple user interfaces based on AJAX with high-security standards, PRTG desktop app, iOS, and Android app, SSL secures local and remote access.
- Cluster failover solution allows failover tolerant monitoring including sending of notifications.
- Maps and dashboards allow you to visualize your networks using real-time maps with live status information.
- Distributed monitoring for separated networks in different locations and in-depth reporting to get the insights, numbers, graphs, and configurations.
Verdict: As per the various customer reviews, PRTG helps in simplifying everyday tasks of monitoring with the simple ease of use and leading customer support without any distinguished cons.
Pricing: Zabbix is free and open-source software with no limits or hidden costs. If you want to use Zabbix in a commercial context, then you need to spend some amount.
Zabbix is a free and open-source software that was released under the GNU (General Public License) version 2. If you use Zabbix for commercial intent, they may courteously ask you to purchase some level of commercial support.
Zabbix has a smart, highly automated metric collection with advanced problem detection and intelligent alerting & remediation. The best part is that they provide solutions for all kinds of industries. Moreover, they have an appreciating clientele.
- Collects metrics from any devices, systems, and applications through multi-metric collection methods.
- Problem detection with defined smart thresholds with high flexibility options, multiple security levels, and anomaly detection.
- Visualization in a single pane of glass including widget-based dashboards, graphs, maps, and much more.
- Notification and remediation in case of any issue or problem detection as well as protection of data on all levels.
- Effortless deployment by saving your time, using out of the box templates, and scaling without any limits.
Verdict: Zabbix is a complete automation monitoring solution for DevOps environment and all kinds of IT solutions. It has great features for the technical user and most beneficially it is open-source software.
#9) Spiceworks Network Monitor
Pricing: Spiceworks has a dedicated pricing page claiming that all their products are free with no limits, no feature upgrades, and no cost. You can use any feature of Spiceworks that you wish.
Spiceworks is a simple, easy-to-use network monitoring software with real-time status and alerts for critical devices to catch problems before the users notice them. The best part is that it is a 100% free tool specially designed for companies monitoring fewer than 25 devices.
It even provides free customer support and is now moving network monitoring to the Cloud. Sooner, a new lightweight and cloud version will be available.
- Dynamic dashboard to get the latest network info without the clutter.
- Ping check to verify that IP-enabled devices are online and whether they are responding or not.
- Easily adjustable alert thresholds for notifications and free Spiceworks support.
- Real-time updates on servers, quick easy to set up, and entirely free to use.
Verdict: As per the customer reviews, Spiceworks does 99% of the job and is very user-friendly. Ultimately, it’s worth using.
Official Website: Spiceworks Network Monitoring
Pricing: Nagios has some tools that are free and open-source for network monitoring. However, it does offer paid plans with a free trial for 60 days.
It’s paid plans include:
- Standard Edition: For mid-scale monitoring (starting from $1,995).
- Enterprise Edition: For large-scale monitoring (starting from $3,495).
Nagios is an open-source platform for network monitoring that can deliver the results in a variety of visual representations and reports. Besides, when it comes to server monitoring, it provides the best outcomes with or without an agent monitoring.
Additionally, they are also good at application monitoring thereby allowing your organization to detect problems quickly and eliminate the downtime of your app.
- Powerful monitoring engine, updated web interface, advanced graphs and maps, and configuration wizards.
- Automated capacity planning, infrastructure management, advanced user management, and config snapshot.
- Customizable, ease of use, extendable architecture, multi-tenant capabilities.
- Comprehensive IT monitoring, clear visibility, powerful performance, and proactive planning.
Verdict: Nagios XI is a powerful monitoring tool with the entire networks at your fingertips. Many users have rated this tool five out of five for the best open-source enterprise-level network monitoring.
#11) OpManager By ManageEngine
Pricing: You can download OpManager for free and start your free trial for 30 days. For a premium upgrade, you need to request a quote from their official website.
OpManager is one of the most trusted monitoring tools that provide services like real-time monitoring, physical and virtual server monitoring, multi-level thresholds, customizable dashboards, WAN link monitoring, affordable, and easy setup.
Besides, OpManager has simplified end-to-end network monitoring and enterprise network monitoring with distributed networks. Moreover, it gives the choice to select from the right network monitoring tool.
- Network management including network mapping, router monitoring, VoIP monitoring gives complete visibility to manage your network.
- Server management through server monitoring, VMware monitoring, process monitoring, and system health monitoring.
- Flow and performance management to find out and solve outages before they impact with email and SMS alerts and network performance reports.
- Storage management by monitoring the performance of disk, RAID, and storage arrays.
- Datacenter management helps you to manage your data center infrastructure.
Verdict: OpManager does great with real-time server monitoring and for viewing switch port status.
#12) WhatsUp Gold
Pricing: WhatsUp Gold offers some free tools as well as a free trial for 30 days. For pricing, you need to get a quote from their official website by supplying some necessary details like name, email address, working number, country, and company.
WhatsUp Gold is an all-in-one monitoring tool for the entire infrastructure of an organization. The software works both on-premise and cloud, thereby giving complete visibility into the performance of applications, devices, and servers.
With WhatsUp Gold, you can monitor application performance, network performance, bandwidth consumption, wireless networks, cloud-based resources, Hyper-V, and VMware.
- Layer 2/3 discovery provides a detailed interactive map of an entire organization.
- Real-time alerts to manage the network, traffic, physical servers, and apps.
- Intuitive workflows and easy customizations streamline the network monitoring process.
- Add-ons including network traffic analysis, virtualization monitoring, configuration management, and failover manager.
- Monitor remote sites with distributed edition and MSP edition.
Verdict: Excellent product for monitoring the status of any network. Besides, it is high to alert on all types of devices. Moreover, it has an overall good user experience as per customer reviews.
Pricing: Cacti is entirely free to use and is an open-source platform with no premium plans or upgrades.
Cacti is a free and open-source platform that offers a complete network graphing solution designed as a front-end application for industry-standard data logging. Besides, it offers one best thing that allows users to examine services at pre-determined intervals and see the results.
However, all these features come packed in an intuitive, web-based, user-friendly interface that can even handle complicated LAN installation with thousands of devices.
- Unlimited number of graphs, automate grouping of GPRINT, auto padding, CDEF math functions, and RRDTool’s graph.
- Data sources support RRD files and utilize RRD Tools, custom Round Robin Archive settings.
- Data gathering, custom scripts, built-in SNMP support, PHP based poller, and graph templates.
- Tree view of a graph display, list view, host templates, data source templates, and a preview of the graph.
- User management administrators, levels of permissions, view preferences for each user, and co-location circumstances.
Verdict: Cacti is very useful for graph routers, switches, and printers. Most of the users claim that they always want Cacti to be free and open-source as they can modify all the feeds. The only con is that it is hard to configure.
Pricing: Icinga offers different types of plans based on your requirements with a free trial of 30 days. You have to request a quote for a plan that you want to get started with.
Icinga lets you inspect your entire infrastructure by giving you simple access to relevant data. Also, it monitors availability and performance and put signals to keep you inside the loop. Not only that, but it also allows easy configuration of hosts and services.
Icinga’s efficient monitoring engine is capable of monitoring the entire infrastructure, including all data centers and cloud hosts. After monitoring, it gathers all the results in a specific resource for further evaluation.
- Web UI with custom views, grouping, filtering, individual element, custom dashboard, and intuitive interface.
- Safe and secure with SSL and user restrictions, alerts through notifications, and incident management.
- Compelling configuration language, swift synchronization, web-based configuration, and automation with tools.
- Deployment with REST API, DevOps tools, automated integrations, distributed and agent-based monitoring.
- Instance tagging, graphite schema, graphite writer, metrics, elastic search writer, and Graylog integration.
Verdict: People reviewed about Icinga that it is a competent FOSS network monitoring system that is simple to install but includes configuration and management. Overall it is a great tool.
Pricing: OpenNMS offers its Horizon product for free. It also has paid plans for Meridian instance with a free trial of 30 days.
OpenNMS Meridian plans include:
- Instance 1: For a single instance ($6,000 per year)
- Instance 2-5: From two to five instances ($4,000 per year)
- Instance +6: From instance six ($2,000 per year)
With Meridian, it also offers two kinds of support options:
- Prime Support: $20,000 per year
- Ultra Support: $45,000 per year
OpenNMS is enterprise-class and open-source network management built for scalability, integration, and a high level of configurations. It has a flexible and extensible architecture for extending service polling and collecting frameworks of performance data.
OpenNMS is a fully open-source solution that was published under the AGPLv3 license. Moreover, it is supported mainly by the community of users and commercially by the group of OpenNMS.
- Service assurance, performance management, critical service, typology discovery, and dashboard components.
- Event-driven, path outage, supports layer 2 and layer 3 network topologies, the surveillance view, and node status.
- Service heat map, geographical map, elastic search forwarder, business service monitoring, and provisioning.
- Alarms & notifications, resource graph viewer, Grafana support, business service hierarchy, and easy integration.
Verdict: As per different customer reviews, there have been many ups and downs between OpenNMS versions, but it has always been a fast and reliable monitoring solution.
System monitoring software and tools play a crucial role in monitoring the activities, performance, applications, and servers of infrastructure in an organization. Every organization needs a useful monitoring tool to prevent disasters and failures.
If you have a sophisticated infrastructure with loads of devices connected, then you must opt for tools like SolarWinds, PRTG, OpenNMS, Nagios, and Icinga. If you need an all-in-one tool to monitor your entire infrastructure and prevent damages, then you should go for WhatsUp Gold, Nagios, and Spiceworks.
Those who are looking for free or open-source tools have options like Zabbix, Cacti, Spiceworks, and OpManager.
Suggested reading =>> Best Synthetic Monitoring Tools
- Time taken to research this Tutorial: 30 Hours
- Total Tools researched: 24
- Top Tools shortlisted: 10
=> Contact us to suggest a listing here.