This Informative Article Will Help you Prepare for Your Upcoming Technical Support Interview. You will Learn How to Answer Most Frequently Asked Interview Questions:
A technical support job puts together the knowledge of computer, its know-how and the skills required for customer service. Its aim is to help customers with issues related to computers.
Some company prefers a formal degree like a bachelor’s or equivalent while the others look for a certain level of knowledge in computers with the capability of learning as the work goes. If you are interviewing for a technical support job, then you can expect a variety of questions related to troubleshooting.
There will be questions related to hardware and software. You will be asked how you will reach the diagnosis of an issue and resolve them. The interviewers will be looking not just for a comprehensive knowledge of computers but also for strong interpersonal and communication skills.
Here are a few questions that will help you to prepare for the IT support interview.
Most Popular Technical Support Interview Questions
Q #1) What do you understand about the role of a Technical Support Engineer?
Answer: The work of a technical support engineer is to maintain and monitor the computers and the networks of an organization. Sometimes, it also includes extending the same help to its customers.
A Technical Support worker is supposed to:
- Install and configure the hardware, OS, and applications.
- Maintain and monitor systems and networks.
- Log in customer’s and employee’s queries.
- Analyze and discover underlying issues.
- Find and solve the faults related to both hardware and software.
- Test the new technology and evaluate it.
- Perform safety checks, etc.
Q #2) Are you aware of the latest Processors?
Answers: With this question, the interviewers are looking to test your technical expertise. You should be aware of the latest processors, and if asked, you should be able to talk about them in detail. You should also be able to tell the differences between them.
For Example, Intel Pentium Quad Core I3, I5, and I7 are the latest processors as of today. You will have to keep yourself updated as technology is evolving pretty fast.
Q #3) How do you troubleshoot an issue?
Answer: This question is meant to check your approach towards identifying a problem and finding its solution. Along with that, it will also help them understand your attitude towards problem-solving.
Remember, the foremost thing is to get all the facts first. It will help you to identify the problem. Then, you will have to go through all the necessary steps for rectifying that problem. You must put forward a detailed and accurate troubleshooting plan that is extensive and yet adaptable.
Your aim should be to satisfy the customer’s needs as quickly as you can. Your focus should be to minimize the downtime of your client. So, if there are multiple issues, there will be multiple fixes that might be unrelated. You must always keep in mind that time management is vital in technical support.
Q #4) Why are you interested in Technical Support?
Answer: In the answer, the interviewer will be looking for your passion for the job. Your answers must be sincere and honest and you must have an understanding of the purpose of the job.
You can say that you have always been fascinated by technology and you enjoy working with people. You can also add that you want to use your knowledge to solve the issues of the customers and you enjoy troubleshooting other’s issues.
Q #5) Do you know the difference between SDK and an API?
|SDK is a kit that offers tools, code samples, libraries, processes, guides or relevant documents for creating software applications on specific platforms.||It is an interface that allows the software to interact with each other.|
|An SDK is a complete workshop that allows us to create beyond the scope of API.||It can translate and transfer two different instruction sets for mutual understanding.|
|SDKs are the origin point of almost every program that we use.||It comes in many sizes and shapes.
Sometimes, even copy-pasting needs an API.
|SDK contains API sometimes.||API has a somewhat different function in the World Wide Web. The Web API facilitates interaction between disparate systems, especially for specific cases.|
Q #6) You want to access a file on a shared drive, but for some reason, you are unable to. What will you do?
Answer: Answer this question carefully. The interviewer wants to listen to your approach to solve the problem.
First, check if the system that is sharing the drive is turned on. If it is, you will check the other files that you have permission to access to see if the issue is with all the files. Check if you have permission i.e. the correct permissions to access that particular file.
If everything is okay and yet you are not able to access that file, then make sure your programs are working fine to copy that file on your local drive. Also, make sure that the file is not currently being used by someone else.
Q #7) What are the Pros and Cons of using Imaging Software?
Pros of Imaging software:
- Imaging software creates a precisely duplicated content from one hard disk to another.
- It simultaneously delivers hard drive images to one or many systems over the network.
- If the utility has intimate knowledge of individual partitions of file systems, then it can resize them for many file systems.
Cons of Imaging software:
- It lacks intimate knowledge of file systems and that results in copying of source hard disk into image block by block. This takes a long time for completing the work for large disks.
- It offers little recovery from errors or its detection during the generation and deployment of the image.
- The best imaging software is expensive and commercial.
Q #8) What do you know about Ghost Imaging?
Answer: Also known as Cloning, Ghost Imaging is a backup process driven by software. It copies the hard disk contents to another server in one compressed file or a set of files which is referred to as an image. When needed, it can also change a ghost image back to its original form. It is often used during the reinstallation of OS.
Ghost Imaging serves two main purposes:
- To allow a system to be cloned onto others.
- Or, to quickly restore a system.
It is often used for setting up blocks of Tablets, Notebooks or Servers quickly. It also enables transfer from one PC or disk to another.
Q #9) Tell us about Disk Partition. How many partitions can a hard drive have?
Answer: A disk partition is a defined space for storage on a hard drive. It helps in organizing data efficiently and effectively.
Commonly, users store applications and OS data on one partition and user data on another. In case of issues with Windows, the partition with OS can be formatted completely and then reinstalled without any effect on the data partition.
A disk may have up to four primary partitions but only one can be active or have three primary partitions and one extended partition. In the extended partition, you can create a bigger amount of logical partition.
Q #10) What do you know about BOOT.INI?
Answer: BOOT.INI is a Microsoft initialization file containing the boot options for Microsoft Windows NT, 2000 and XP. It is always found on the primary hard drive’s root directory i.e. the C drive.
It has two main sections:
- The boot loader section with option settings that is applicable to all boot entries for the system that includes default, timeout, etc.
- The section with operating systems that contains boot entries, one or more, for each bootable program or OS that is installed on the computer.
Q #11) Can you manually edit the BOOT.INI file?
Answer: Yes. But before manually editing the BOOT.INI, make sure that you save a copy in case anything goes wrong. To edit the file, go to the control panel and then to the System option. Go to the advanced tab in the properties window.
There you will find the startup and recovery option, move to its Settings. Select the edit option for editing BOOT.INI. If there is a 3GB switch, remove it and add the PAE switch on the servers with over 4GB of the installed physical memory for booting the file. Save the file and then close it. Click on OK twice and exit the Control Panel.
Q #12) What is a Gateway pertaining to the network?
Answer: A gateway is a hardware device like a Firewall, Server, Router, etc that acts as a gate between networks. It allows the data or traffic to flow across the networks. A gateway is a node itself on the edge of the network and protects the other nodes in a network.
Every data flows through the gateway node before coming in or going out of the network. A gateway can also translate data from the outside network into a protocol or a format that all the devices in the internal network understand.
Q #13) What is Cache Memory? What are its advantages?
Answer: Cache memory acts like a buffer between the CPU and RAM and is an extremely fast type of memory. For easy and quick access, the frequently requested instructions and data are stored in cache memory.
It comes with three different levels i.e. L1, L2, and L3. L1 is generally found in the processor chip. It is the smallest and the fastest of all for the CPU to read. It ranges from 8 to 64KB. The other two cache memories are larger than L1 but also takes longer to access.
Q #14) Tell us some advantages and disadvantages of Overclocking.
Answer: Overclocking is making the CPU run at a higher speed than the default by using the current motherboard settings.
|Overclocking delivers more performance for the same price.||Overclocking makes manufacturer warranty on CPU void since it compromises the quality guarantees provided by them.|
|High-frequency clocking offers better gameplay experience had a faster response time. This, in turn, delivers better graphics and increased productivity.||Overclocking increases the temperature of the CPU. So, if you aren’t investing in a better cooling system, the process will damage the processors.|
Q #15) How are a Chipset, Processor, and Motherboard different from each other?
Difference between Motherboard and Chipset:
The Motherboard holds all the components with the expansion cards and CPU plugged into it. It also carries the connection to the USB, PS/2 and all the other ports. It is the largest printed circuit board inside a computer.
While Chipset is a particular component set that is integrated directly into the motherboard and usually consists of northbridge chipset and southbridge chipset. Core system interconnections happen due to the former while the latter manages the connection between the other components.
Difference between Motherboard and Processor:
The main difference between the two is that the Motherboard lets memory, peripheral connectors, processor and such components to communicate with each other. While carrying the specific instructions for functions like performing logical, arithmetical and control operations is the job of the Processor.
Q #16) If you can’t see the display of your system, what could be the issue?
Here are a few reasons for which you can’t see the display:
- Monitor not working.
- The system has not yet completely started.
- The system is not able to power up properly.
- There could be an issue with the heat sink.
- There could be issues with the jumper setting.
- CPU fan could be creating issues.
- A problem in BIOS settings.
- Loose CPU or other components.
- Electrical shorts.
Q #17) Why do you need the Jumper and Heat Sink?
Answer: Jumper is used for closing an electric circuit, thereby, allowing the flow of electricity to a certain part of the circuit board. It is used to configure peripheral settings. It is a small plastic box with a set of small pins.
The heat sink is used for transferring the heat generated by a machine or an electronic machine. They are made up of copper or aluminum as they are good conductors of electricity and can transfer the generated heat to the air.
Q #18) What are the different types of firewalls?
Answer: There are eight types of firewalls and they all vary in their general structure and the way they work.
Types of Firewall include:
- Packet-filtering Firewalls
- Circuit-level gateways
- Stateful Inspection Firewalls
- Proxy Firewalls
- Next-gen Firewalls
- Software Firewalls
- Hardware Firewalls
- Cloud Firewalls
These are the eight firewalls that are known for different cybersecurity reasons.
Q #19) My printer prints faded words, images of poor quality and smudges. What do I do?
Answer: First, make sure that the selection of media and paper is proper in the print driver. Then, make sure the paper you are using for printing matches the type you have selected in the print driver. If everything is okay, see if you can manually adjust the fuser and set it properly. Be careful while adjusting the fuse as it gets hot.
For clearing Smudge marks, print some blank sheets of paper. If it doesn’t resolve the issue, then the chances could be the problem due to the hardware or supplies.
Q #20) I have Windows 10 and I get a blank screen but I can see the cursor. This happens every time before I log in and after I update. What should I do?
Answer: If the problem persists before login, then follow the below steps.
- Press Windows Key along with P to launch the project menu. However, it’s only normal to not to be able to see it.
- Press up and down arrows a few times and hit enter.
- If it works, you will be able to see your screen, if not, repeat this step a few times.
If you have a password-protected account to log in, then press CTRL or space enter the password and hit enter. It might take you a few trials before you succeed.
If the above process doesn’t work, then you can try uninstalling the graphic card driver as shown below.
- Launch the Task Manager by pressing alt+ctrl+del.
- Go to file and then run a new task.
- Type devmgmt.msc and hit enter.
- If you can’t open the task manager, go to safe mode.
- Hold the Windows key and X, then choose the device manager.
- Find the graphic card, Right-click on it and delete the driver software.
- Restart your system and the black screen shouldn’t be there anymore.
There are other steps which you can try. You can disable the onboard graphics in the device manager. You can go to BIOS and disable the dual monitor and CPU Graphics Multi-Monitor. You can also try updating the BIOS or uninstall the applications causing the problem.
You can also try connecting your monitor using HDMI instead of DVI. There are many other processes to help you get rid of the blank screen issues.
Q #21) Explain BIOS.
Answer: The basic Input/Output System or BIOS is found on motherboards as a ROM chip. With it, you can set up and access your system at the most basic level. It also carries the instructions related to loading the basic hardware of your computer.
BIOS performs four main functions:
- Before loading the OS, it checks the hardware of your computer to make sure that there are no errors.
- It looks for all the OS available and passes the control to the most capable one.
- Drivers of BIOS give your system the basic operational control over the hardware of your system.
- BIOS setup lets you configure the settings of your hardware like password, date, time, etc.
Q #22) What are the qualities that a Good Technical Support Employee must possess?
Answer: The key skills of a Technical Support Employee are:
- The employee must have detailed knowledge of the system, its software and hardware.
- He/she should be aware of the latest trends in IT and software.
- Attention to the details and high concentration.
- Must have a strong characteristic and spirit for good and sound customer service.
- He/she should be able to work with people and must have strong communication skills.
- Must be able to establish a good working rapport with the clients quickly.
- He/she should be willing to work at odd hours at times.
- Must have patience, a logical mind and must be willing to learn continuously.
Q #23) What are the duties of a Technical Support Employee?
Answer: A technical support employee has several duties and some of them are listed below:
- Attending support calls, logging and processing them.
- Installing systems, hardware, software, scanners, printers, etc and configuring them.
- Scheduling and carrying out maintenance and upgrades.
- Setting system accounts for employees and helping them if they need help to log in.
- Determining the nature of the problem by talking to clients and all those who use computers, and solving them.
- Replacing computer parts and repairing the equipment.
- Making sure that there is electrical safety and repairing or replacing the parts as and when required.
- Checking the records for software licenses and updating them.
- Managing the stocks of supplies, equipment, and other things.
Q #24) Why should we hire you?
Answer: In the answer to this question, you must show that you will be a valuable asset to the company. Tell them all that you have accomplished in your career. Assure them that you can deliver the results with your hard work, skills, and interest.
Add to your answer that you can quickly find out the problems, prioritize them, and solve them with your experience. Assure them that all these will make you a valuable employee of the company.
Q #25) Have you learned from your mistakes in your career as an IT expert?
Answer: Everyone makes mistakes in their career and there is no loss in admitting that. The main motive of this question is to know if you make mistakes and learn from them and you don’t repeat the same mistake again.
You can give an example where you learned from a mistake you made and didn’t make that mistake ever again. This will let them know that you are willing to learn, even if it is from your own mistakes and you are willing to perform better than before.
A Technical Support Engineer interview is not just about your knowledge but also about your approach towards a problem and how you solve it.
It will also give the interviewer an idea about how willing you are to learn and adapt. Being prepared with a few questions can help you to get the confidence that you need to clear the interview with flying colors.
Best wishes for your Technical Support Interview!