This Tutorial Provides a List, Comparison, Features And Price of the Top Password Managers. Select the Best Password Manager Based on this In-depth Review:
A Password Manager is an application that stores your login credentials and will help you through the auto-login facility for various websites and applications.
It can generate strong passwords and let you share securely. Most of them will allow you to store information like credit card details too. These managers will help you become organized and secure across multiple devices.
What You Will Learn:
- Why Use The Password Manager?
- List Of The Best Password Managers
Why Use The Password Manager?
According to Keeper, 81% of data breaches happened due to a weak password and the average cost could be $7M for a data breach. For every important account, you should have a unique and strong password.
A strong password should contain letters, numbers, punctuation, and a special character. There should be at least 16 random characters to make the password strong. It is difficult to remember a strong password and thus Password Manager should be used.
They provide a secure and easy-to-use way of managing the login credentials across all your devices. It will sync data across various devices. A good password manager stores data in an encrypted form and uses strong encryption.
Password Manager Or Browser?
Web browsers like Chrome and Firefox can be used for managing passwords, addresses, or other login data. It also gives you the facility to set up a master password and unlock the credentials. But browsers don’t provide the facility to generate strong passwords and share it securely.
Also, browsers store the password in plain text which thereby makes it easier for hackers to steal the passwords from your PC. Password Managers will store your data in an encrypted format and make the task of using the unique & strong password easier.
List Of The Best Password Managers
- Keeper Password Manager
- Zoho Vault
- Sticky Password
Comparison Of Top Password Management Tools
|Password Managers||Best for||Platforms||Browser plugins||Free trial||Price|
|Passwarden||Individuals and Families.||Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Chrome OS, Firefox, Edge.||Chrome, Firefox, Edge.||Opportunity to store and manage up to 40 items for free.||Family plan starts at $4.99/month for up to 8 users. Personal plan starts at $3.99/month.|
|LastPass||LastPass is the overall best solution.||Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Linux, Chrome OS, Windows Phone, Watch OS.||Chrome, Firefox, IE, Safari, Edge, Opera, Maxthon.||Available for 30 days.||Business plans start at $3/user/month.
A personal plan is free for 1 user. Personal Paid plans start at $3/month
|1Password||Ease of use and security features.||Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Linux, Chrome OS.||Chrome, Firefox, IE, Safari, Edge.||Available for 30 days.||Personal use: Starts at $2.99
Teams: Starts at $3.99/user/month
|Dashlane||It is the overall best solution and provides full features.||Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Linux, Chrome OS, Watch OS.||Chrome, Firefox, IE, Safari, Edge.||Available for 30 days of premium plans.||Free, Premium: $4.99/month
Premium Plus: $9.99/month.
|Bitwarden||Bitwarden is one of the best open source solutions.||Android, iOS, Windows, Mac, Linux.||Chrome, Firefox, Opera, Edge, Safari, Vivaldi, Brave, Tor Browser.||Available.||Free
Enterprise: $3 per user/month.
|Keeper Password Manager||Keeper is best for its security features.||Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Linux, Chrome OS, Windows Phone, Kindle, BlackBerry.||Chrome, Firefox, IE, Safari, Edge.||Available for 14 days.||Keeper Enterprise: $3.75/user/month.
Keeper Business: $2.50 per user per month.
Personal use: $2.49 per month.
Family: $9.99 per month.
Best for: Passwarden is a great solution with a wide range of features for both individual users and families. Passwarden was developed by KeepSolid – a trusted security expert with over 25 million users worldwide.
Passwarden Pricing: Passwarden offers two pricing plans i.e. Free (up to 40 items), Personal use ($3.99 monthly), family up to 8 users ($4.99 monthly).
- Duress mode, which gives the user the ability to hide Passwarden Vaults that hold sensitive information (unique to Passwarden).
- AES-256 and ?? ?-384 protocols to encrypt user data from third-party threats.
- The ability to share data securely between devices, including sharing with other parties.
- The ability to store various types of data, including passwords, ID cards, payment info, etc.
- Convenience features, such as autofill and offline mode.
Verdict: Passwarden by KeepSolid is a secure, easy-to-use solution that has a set of unique features. It allows users to store not only passwords but also other types of personal data.
Best for: LastPass is an overall best solution. It is popular, easy to use, and rich in features application.
LastPass Pricing: LastPass offers three pricing plans for personal use i.e. Free, Premium ($3 per month), and Families ($4 per month).
For businesses, it offers four plans i.e. Teams ($4 per user per month), Enterprise ($6 per user per month), MFA ($3 per user per month), and Identity ($8 per user per month). A free trial is available for personal as well as business plans.
LastPass is an easy-to-use password management tool. You just have to save a password and you will always get it at the right time. Logging in will be easier and faster. It can simplify online shipping by filling all the payment and shipping details. Once the password is saved, LastPass will be available on all your devices.
- LastPass has a built-in password generator that can generate long and randomized passwords.
- It provides the features to store digital records like Insurance cards, memberships, Wi-Fi passwords, etc.
- It will allow you to share passwords & notes conveniently and safely.
- It has features to allow trusted friends and family members to access your LastPass account in case of an emergency.
Verdict: The best feature of LastPass is that it can sync with all your devices and there will not be any restriction on the number of devices.
Best for: 1Password is best for its ease of use and security features.
1Password Pricing: It offers two pricing plans for personal use i.e. 1Password ($2.99/month) and 1Password Families ($4.99/month).
For teams and businesses, there are three plans i.e. Teams ($3.99/user/month), Business ($7.99/user/month), and Enterprise (Get a quote). A free trial is available for 30 days.
1Password is the tool for remembering all the passwords and will help you to log in to sites quickly in a single click. It is a privacy-focused Enterprise Password Manager. It provides Advanced Protection features that will let you create policies, prevent threats, and monitor the team’s access.
- 1Password will provide reports on the usage and access details of the tool.
- It will be easier for you to onboard and off-board the employees with the help of tools that you are already using as 1Password integrates with Azure Active Directory and Okta.
- It can provide unlimited shared vaults & item storage, two-factor authentication, and admin controls.
Verdict: This enterprise password management tool will protect your business by providing a powerful set of security tools. It offers a free family account for every employee with the business plan.
#4) Dashlane Best Full Features Manager
Best for: Dashlane is also an overall best solution and provides full features.
Price: Dashlane offers three pricing plans i.e. Free (up to 50 passwords), Premium ($4.99 per month), and Premium Plus ($9.99 per month). It offers a free trial of 30 days for the premium plan.
Dashlane is the U.S Patented password manager. It provides two-factor authentication and AES 256-bit encryption. It is compatible with U2F keys. It will allow you to securely share encrypted passwords with individuals and groups.
- Smart Spaces will let the employees keep business and personal credentials separate.
- Smart Spaces feature will let the admin monitor password health for employee’s Business Space only. It will not compromise the privacy of the employee.
- It will be easier to onboard new team members, manage permissions, and monitor security issues through the Admin Console.
Verdict: Dashlane can generate a strong password and can autosave & autofill passwords, addresses, etc. It is a bit expensive when compared with LastPass.
Best for: Bitwarden is one of the best open-source solutions.
Price: Bitwarden offers two plans for personal use i.e. Free (forever) and Families ($1 per month). For businesses, there are two plans i.e. Teams ($5 per month) and Enterprise ($3/user/month).
Bitwarden provides an easy and safe solution to store, share, and sync sensitive data. It has powerful sharing features that will be useful to families, teams, and businesses. It provides insightful reports to help you audit the vault.
It can sync all your devices without any limits. It provides a secure password generator and two-step authentication.
- Bitwarden provides multi-factor authentication by integrating with Duo Security.
- It provides 1GB encrypted file storage with premium plans.
- It can securely sync with the cloud to let you access your data from anywhere by using any device.
- It uses the end-to-end AES-256 bit encryption, salted hashing, and PBKDF2 SHA-256.
- Using the powerful command-line tools, you will be able to write and execute scripts on the Bitwarden vault.
Verdict: Bitwarden vault can be accessed from any web-enabled device. It is the best free password management solution for individuals, teams, and businesses.
#6) Keeper Password Manager
Best for: Keeper provides the best security features and is the best solution for families.
Price: Keeper offers a free trial for 14 days. There are four pricing plans i.e. Keeper Enterprise ($3.75/user/month), Keeper Business ($2.50 per user per month), Personal Use ($2.49 per month), and Family ($9.99 per month).
Keeper provides the password management solution for personal use, families, students, and businesses. It will create random, high-strength passwords for all your websites and applications. Keeper makes use of proprietary zero-knowledge security architecture.
It provides ultimate flexibility through configurable roles, role-based permissions, and admin privileges. It will store the passwords in a secure vault on all your devices.
- Keeper provides the private & encrypted vault to each employee for storing & managing their passwords, files, credentials, etc.
- Automatic filling of passwords to apps and websites.
- It provides the features to securely create, share, and manage individual records as well as encrypted folders among teams and individuals.
- There will not be any limitation on the number of devices to protect sensitive files, documents, photos, and videos.
- It provides the features of the admin console, role-based access, version control & record history, and reporting.
Verdict: Keeper is a scalable solution and can be used by businesses of any size. Its password generator can create strong and unique passwords. It provides 24*7 customer support.
Website: Keeper Password Manager
Best for: Affordable pricing plans.
Price: RoboForm has three pricing plans for personal use i.e. Free, Everywhere ($1.99 per month), and Family ($3.98 per month). The business plan starts at $3.35 per user per month. All these prices are for annual billing.
RoboForm supports Windows, Mac, iOS, and Android platforms. All the major browsers from these platforms are supported. Its password generator will create strong and unique passwords for each site.
It provides two-factor authentication support for accessing the account. AutoFill options will help you with entering personal and billing information.
- RoboForm has features for securely sharing login information with other RoboForm users.
- It provides strong security by making use of AES-256 bit encryption with PBKDF2 SHA-256.
- With the business plan, it provides the features of easy user Onboarding, centralized management, security policy deployment, unlimited sharing groups, and role-based permissions.
- There will be a full separation of business and personal passwords.
Verdict: RoboForm follows Pay as you go policy. It can provide the services of account data backup, premium 24*7 support, and access on all devices.
Best for KeePassXC is the best self-hosted password manager.
Price: It is available for free.
KeePassXC is the community fork of KeePassX and every feature provided by it supports cross-platform. KeePassX was previously called as KeePass/L for Linux. It was named so as it was a port of Windows Password Manager KeePass Password Safe.
After becoming the cross-platform application KeePass/L had changed its name to KeePassX. KeePass is an open-source password manager and can manage the passwords in a secure way. It will store the password and auto-type them for your websites and applications.
It makes use of the AES encryption algorithm and will encrypt the complete database with a 256-bit key.
- It makes use of a database format that will remain compatible with KeePass.
- KeePass will store all the passwords in one database. This database is locked with a master key. By remembering a single master key you can unlock the whole database.
- Without any internet connection, the wallet can work offline.
- KeePass will let you export the password list in TXT, HTML, XML, and CSV formats.
- It provides many more features of Auto-Type and Global Auto-Type Hot Key.
Verdict: KeePass is a portable solution and doesn’t require installation. It supports Plugin Architecture so anyone can write plugins for KeePass.
#9) Zoho Vault
Best for: Zoho Vault is best for families.
Price: Zoho Vault offers a free trial for 15 days. It offers a free plan for personal use. It is free forever. There are three more plans i.e. Standard ($0.9/user/month), Professional ($3.6/user/month), and Enterprise ($6.3/user/month).
Zoho Vault will securely store and organize your passwords so that you will able to access them easily. It has features for safely sharing common passwords. You can grant the different access privileges to the team members for the secure sharing of passwords.
It provides the facility to give passwords to users and groups in bulk. Zoho Vault browser extension is available for Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. It supports mobile access for Android, iOS, and Windows platforms. You will get centralized admin control with this online password manager.
- Zoho Vault follows the AES-256 bit encryption standard.
- It provides the features of cloud backup, password expiration alerts, offline access, and importing & exporting of passwords.
- You can restrict access based on the IP address.
- It can be integrated with G Suite and Office 365.
- It provides detailed reports.
Verdict: Zoho Vault can generate strong passwords and can automatically log in to websites. It will let you track user actions and maintain complete records of the team for password activity. It can record the activity with timestamps.
Website: Zoho Vault
Best for: Enpass is the best flexible solution.
Price: Enpass offers a free desktop application. There are three plans for iOS and Android devices i.e. Lite (Free), Premium ($5.99 for 12 months), and Premium (One-time purchase: $39.99)
Enpass is a secure vault that can be used for storing credit cards, bank accounts, licenses, or any type of attachment. It can generate strong passwords. It can perform password audits for weak, old, and expired passwords.
Multiple vaults will help you to segregate your personal, family, and work data in different vaults. It will store data locally and you can sync through the cloud account. To sync with the cloud, it will allow you to use the cloud of your choice like DropBox or Google Drive.
- For extra security, it supports biometrics to unlock data with the help of fingerprint or facial recognition.
- It provides more than 80 templates to help you add details.
- It encrypts the data with AES 256-bit by using open-source SQLCipher.
- It can be used on all mobile and desktop platforms.
Verdict: Enpass is the offline password manager that provides the features of cross-platform support, auto-fill, built-in password generator, etc. It will scan your database to perform the password audit. It has many more features like tags, TOTP support, Keyfile, etc.
#11) Sticky Password
Best for: Sticky Password is rich in features platform.
Price: Sticky Password offers a forever free plan. Its premium plan will cost $29.99 per year. The lifetime license is available for $199.99. Currently, it is available at a discounted price of $159.99.
It offers a 30-days money-back guarantee. With the free plan, you will get a free trial of the Premium plan for 30 days.
Sticky Password can remember all your passwords and logins. It can generate super strong passwords anytime. You can securely share the passwords and logins by granting, managing, and removing access to online accounts.
It is available in a USB portable version for Windows. It can be used for all your devices and supports 16 browsers. It provides encrypted vaults to store your credit card numbers and it can be synced to all your devices.
- Sticky Password provides unlimited encrypted password and data storage.
- It provides two-factor authentication and biometric authentication.
- It provides a secure digital wallet and a superstring password generator.
- Automatic form-filling and auto-login functionalities are available.
Verdict: With the premium plan, it provides features like cloud backup for passwords & data, secure password sharing, and cloud & local Wi-Fi sync across all devices. It doesn’t offer a secure password sharing feature with the free plan.
Website: Sticky Password
Though online security measures are not 100% foolproof, security experts recommend using password managers. There are always some risks involved, however, its benefits outweigh the risks involved. All the solutions mentioned here provide AES 256-bit encryption.
LastPass, Dashlane, 1Password, and Bitwarden are our top recommended solutions. All the Password Management solutions offer a free plan except Keeper.
Most of the tools provide the facility of automatic form filling but security experts recommend disabling this functionality. It can make password managers vulnerable to attack.
The selection of the right tool is an important decision and thus we tried to help you through this article. We hope this article will help you select the best tool per your needs.
- Time taken to research and write this article: 26 Hrs
- Total Tools researched: 14
- Top Tools shortlisted: 10