The article discusses whether CrowdStrike, a well-known cybersecurity platform, is offering Data Loss Prevention (DLP) features. While CrowdStrike offers a range of granular security modules, the article explores whether it can be considered a dedicated DLP solution at the moment.
What is Data Loss Prevention
As the name suggests, Data Loss Prevention is the process through which enterprises protect their sensitive information and other important data from threats like leakages or other malicious attacks.
All businesses must store sensitive information in their systems. Even a very small business, be it a shopkeeper, has to keep his personal bank account details safe from threats.
So just imagine the amount of pressure on the security teams of big enterprises that have so much sensitive data including financial data, proprietary data, credit card numbers, health records, or customers’ information, which they need to safeguard from insiders as well as outsider threats.
What You Will Learn:
- DLP Solutions – Choose The Best
- Does CrowdStrike Offer Data Loss Prevention (DLP)?
- Frequently Asked Questions
- List of Best DLP Solutions
DLP Solutions – Choose The Best
A small mishandling of a company’s crucial data can cause severe troubles. Some of the biggest and most dangerous data thefts mentioned in a report by CSO Online are as follows:
- In 2013, a group of hackers accessed the personal information of around 3 billion accounts of Yahoo users. All this happened during the process when Yahoo was being acquired by Verizon.
- In 2021, the personal information of more than 700 million LinkedIn users, including their email addresses, phone numbers, geolocation records, and many other details were found posted on a dark web forum.
And, there are, in fact, many many more such incidents where a company or a user’s personal data has been leaked, thus, creating an alarming situation for businesses to look for solutions to this problem. And so we have got DLP solutions, which help us in attaining a cyber posture so that all of our data gets safeguarded.
The main features offered by DLP solutions are as follows:
- The platform performs a deep analysis of your systems to detect sensitive items.
- They allow you to set policies so that any unauthorized action by an employee can be blocked automatically.
- They give you visualization tools so that you know exactly where your sensitive data is located and when it is being accessed/shared/copied or any other action is being taken by an employee.
- Data encryption tools.
Looking at the features offered by DLP solutions as well as the urgent need for security solutions, almost every business looks for a Data Loss Prevention tool.
Does CrowdStrike Offer Data Loss Prevention (DLP)?
CrowdStrike is a well-known, highly popular, award-winning cyber security platform for businesses of all sizes. Companies like Deloitte, Verizon, Expensify, and YETI are its clients.
It is a feature-rich cyber security platform. Features offered by CrowdStrike include Incident Response, Compromise Assessment, Endpoint Recovery, and Network Security Monitoring.
Plus, it offers tools for Maturity Assessments, Technical Risk Assessments, SOC Assessments, Active Directory Assessments, Managed Detection & Response, Managed Threat Hunting, and Managed LogScale.
However, as we can see, this is not a dedicated DLP solution. It’s a suite offering granular security modules that range from anti-virus to advanced Endpoint Detection and Response.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q #1) What are the main 3 services CrowdStrike provides?
Answer: CrowdStrike offers its services under 3 main heads, which are:
- Preparing for threats
Tools offered to prepare for threats include Tabletop Exercises, Penetration Testing, and more. Responding features include Incident Response, Compromise Assessment, Endpoint Recovery, and more. Fortifying features include Maturity Assessment, SOC Assessment, Technical Risk Assessment, and more.
Q #2) What is the use of Endpoint Protector?
Answer: Endpoint Protector is a dedicated and highly recommended DLP solution. The top solutions offered by the platform are as follows:
- Device control and Granular control features.
- Tools for monitoring, controlling, and blocking file transfers are based on pre-set policies.
- Automated file encryption.
- Data scanning and remediation features.
Q #3) How does the Forcepoint endpoint work?
Answer: Forcepoint is one of the best and most popular Data Loss Prevention tools available on the market. It is powerful, intuitive, and easy to use.
The platform works by offering you tools for setting a single policy for blocking unwanted actions performed by the users, assessing each user’s risk level, data classification, visualization, and much more.
Q #4) How do you explain an endpoint?
Answer: An endpoint can be defined as a physical device that can be used to exchange information with a computer network. For example, desktops, mobiles, virtual machines, embedded devices, and servers all come under endpoints.
Q #5) Is Symantec good?
Answer: Symantec is a reliable Data Loss Prevention tool, and is highly recommended for mid to large-scale enterprises, due to the reason that it is highly efficient in tackling security issues in complex working models.
Critical Data Protection, Visibility and Control, Unified Policy Framework, and Regulatory Compliance features offered by Symantec Data Loss Prevention tools are appreciable.
List of Best DLP Solutions
So after doing research and studying the popular DLP solutions in the industry, we can come to the conclusion that the following are the top best DLP solutions:
- Endpoint Protector by CoSoSys (Recommended)
- Symantec Data Loss Prevention
- Microsoft Purview Data Loss Prevention (DLP)
- Digital Guardian
- Forcepoint DLP
Comparing the Best Solutions for Data Loss Prevention
|Platform Name||Best feature||Most suitable for||Free Trial|
|Endpoint Protector by CoSoSys||An all-in-one, highly useful, dedicated DLP solution||Businesses of all sizes||Available|
|Safetica||Device control||For all businesses||Free demo available, 10 day free trial.|
|Cyberhaven||Visual policy editor for data loss prevention||Mid-sized and large businesses||Free demo available|
|Symantec Data Loss Prevention||Advanced security solutions||Large enterprises||Not available|
|Microsoft Purview Data Loss Prevention (DLP)||Innovative security solutions, quick deployment||Businesses of all sizes||Available|
|Digital Guardian||A scalable, cost efficient DLP solution.||Businesses of all sizes.||Not available|
|Forcepoint DLP||A powerful yet easy to use DLP solution||Mid to large sized enterpeises.||Available|
#1) Endpoint Protector by CoSoSys (Recommended)
Best for being an all-in-one, highly useful, dedicated DLP solution for businesses of all sizes.
Endpoint Protector by CoSoSys is an award-winning, leading Data Loss Prevention tool. It is trusted by some of the best-known brands in the world, including Samsung, Allianz, Western Union, and more.
The platform works on advanced technologies such as N-gram-based text categorization, that helps in discovering IP as well as monitoring and controlling file transfers.
The main features offered by Endpoint Protector include IP protection, Personally Identifiable Information (PII) Protection, Insider Threat Protection, and Compliance and Regulations.
- Device control features include monitoring and managing devices, Granular control features based on vendor ID, product ID, and more.
- Tools for monitoring, controlling, and blocking file transfers.
- Password-based, easy-to-use, automatic encryption for data in transit.
- Scans data at rest, discover, encrypts, and deletes sensitive data.
- Free trial.
- An intuitive interface.
- Fast and remote client deployment.
- Protects sensitive data even while you work offline.
- Gives you full control over your data, anytime, from anywhere.
- A few users have cited issues regarding customer support.
Verdict: Endpoint Protector is an all-in-one DLP solution. It can be deployed as a Virtual appliance, as a Cloud service, or as Software as a Service. The platform makes sure to minimize interruptions by reducing the number of false positives, offers easy setup, and simplifies the deployment process with centralized administration.
The customer reviews of Endpoint Protector are very appealing, thus making it a highly recommended DLP solution for businesses of all sizes.
Price: Endpoint Protector offers a 30-day free trial. Contact us directly to request a price quote.
Best for Device control.
Safetica is easily one of the best DLP tools out there as it can go toe-to-toe with Crowdstrike. It is exceptional when it comes to endpoint protection. It facilitates real-time monitoring of individual activities both online and offline. You get granular control over data transfer, access permissions, and setting up alerts.
You get alerted and notified in real-time when data breach scenarios do occur. All security incidents are tracked and recorded promptly, thus allowing IT admins the opportunity they need to tackle these issues head on. The software also helps you comply with various regulatory frameworks when deploying a data loss prevention policy.
- Customizable data loss prevention policies
- Device Control
- Web content filtering
- Incident management and reporting
- Real-time alerts and notification set-up
- Scalable infrastructure
- Flexible pricing
- Flexible policy customization
- Insightful reporting
- Some organization with a vast catalog of endpoint might find the tool difficult to deploy initially. The deployment in large companies with many endpoint devices can be time-consuming.
Verdict: Safetica offers a broad range of DLP capabilities to help you cover against all sorts of data breach scenarios. With customizable policies, real-time monitoring, and exceptional regulatory support, this one is definitely one of the better data loss prevention tools out there.
Price: Contact the Safetica team to get a clear quote that perfectly adheres to your organizations specific requirements. You can request a personalized demo or a free trial with security audit.
Best for Protecting data across all exfiltration channels via a single console and policy.
Cyberhaven is a data detection and response solution that takes a very innovative approach to data loss prevention. Cyberhaven relies on its advanced data tracing technology to analyse billions of events related to each aspect of data in a bid to better understand and classify it. As such, you can count on Cyberhaven to protect a wide range of sensitive data, irrespective of what form it comes in.
It is also very simple to define policies that deliver results via this solution. Thanks to Cyberhaven’s visual policy editor, you’ll be able to create, edit, and enforce policies within minutes. We also like how you can use this visual editor to transform any graph query to a policy in a single click.
- Intuitive Visual Policy Editor
- Track data that was encrypted and compressed
- Blends Content analysis with data lineage to minimize false positives
- Natively integrates to SIEM Tools
- Out of the box dashboard
- Customizable reporting
- Facilitates role-based access controls
- The innovative approach to DLP that entails data classification may be a bit overwhelming for some businesses.
Verdict: Cyberhaven is a comprehensive and effective data loss prevention tool that’s ideal for mid-sized and large enterprises. The flexibility it offers with regards to data visibility and classification are some of its greatest strengths.
Price: Pricing is based on the number of endpoints. We suggest contacting the team for a custom quote.
#4) Symantec Data Loss Prevention
Best for being an advanced security solution for large enterprises.
Symantec is a widely recognized and award-winning Data Loss Prevention tool, offered by Broadcom.
The Critical Data Protection, Visibility, and Control, Unified Policy Framework, and Regulatory Compliance features offered by Symantec Data Loss Prevention tools are praiseworthy.
You get real-time monitoring and alerting tools and tools to perform local scanning, anytime, reduce insider threats by monitoring risky user behavior, automate incident response processes, meet regulatory compliance, and much more, thus becoming a zero-trust platform.
- Tools to safeguard your confidential data from accidental exposure or malicious breaches.
- Gives you 100% visibility and control over your data, so that you are always aware of the location and movements of your sensitive data.
- Unified Policy Framework to ensure that the complexities are reduced and incidents are detected and remediated.
- Adhere to the standard, global data protection laws, and regulatory requirements.
- Gives complete visibility and control over all of your information.
- Advanced technology to reduce false positives as well as false negatives.
- Automated incident response processes.
- Zero Trust Security platform.
- A bit difficult to use at the beginning.
Verdict: The platform offers you some advanced features that are capable enough to secure the sensitive data and information of a business with a complex operations model.
We found the software to be costlier than the alternatives, but you can go buy just one solution (if it fulfills your requirements) at much lower costs.
Price: Contact directly to get a price quote.
Website: Symantec Data Loss Prevention
#5) Microsoft Purview Data Loss Prevention (DLP)
Best for offering innovative security solutions for businesses of all sizes.
Microsoft Purview Data Loss Prevention (DLP) is a popular DLP solution that safeguards your sensitive data across Office 365, OneDrive, SharePoint, Microsoft Teams, and on the endpoint.
This intelligent detection and control platform helps in preventing data loss by identifying and preventing risky or inappropriate file shares, transfers, and use of your sensitive data on endpoints and across apps and services.
- Native, built-in protection for Windows 11, Office apps, and Edge
- Allows you to set unified and flexible policy structures across devices, apps, and services.
- DLP reports that offer you insights into DLP policy matches, DLP incident matches, and DLP false positives.
- More than 100 sensitive information types and 40 built-in policy templates are to be used for security purposes.
- Seamless deployment with easy, lightweight configurations.
- Unified alerting and remediation.
- Free trial.
- A bit difficult to use at the beginning.
Verdict: Microsoft Purview DLP is highly recommended by most of its users. The platform offers flexible security solutions for emerging data threats.
We found the platform suitable for businesses of all sizes. Some of the users state that the software is difficult to use at the beginning, plus complicated to set up. But overall, the security features are worth going for.
Price: Microsoft Purview Data Loss Prevention is a part of Microsoft 365 E5 Compliance Suite, which costs $12 per user per month.
#6) Digital Guardian
Best for being a scalable, cost-efficient DLP solution.
Digital Guardian, which is now part of Fortra, is a popular, cloud-based Data Loss Prevention tool. The platform is compatible with Windows, iOS, and Linux devices.
Digital Guardian provides threat-aware data protection from insiders as well as outsiders. The platform unifies data loss prevention and endpoint detection and response, so as to monitor the activities, and detect endpoints and response activities, all in one place.
- Data control features include monitoring, automated blocking, and more.
- Gives you deep visibility into the sensitive data of your organization.
- Identify unknown risks, without any need to set any policies.
- Delivers content, user, and context-based data discovery and classification.
- Quick deployment.
- Scalable platform.
- Full data visibility.
- The customer support services need to be improved, as stated by some of the users.
Verdict: Digital Guardian is a no-compromise data protection tool. It is a leading, award-winning platform for the digital security of enterprises. It is cloud-based and powered by AWS. It provides you with instant scalability, reduces time to value, and cuts costs.
Price: Contact directly to get a price quote.
Website: Digital Guardian
#7) Forcepoint DLP
Best for being an easy-to-use DLP solution for mid to large-sized enterprises.
Forcepoint is one of the top best DLP solutions. It helps businesses in securing their sensitive data across the web, cloud, emails, networks, and endpoints.
The platform helps businesses in simplifying the web security posture with the Remote Browser Isolation technique, which renders risky sites in a remote virtual container so that any malicious code can not cause a threat to the endpoint and zero trust is attained.
- Allows you to set a single policy so that any unauthorized actions can be blocked right away.
- Ensure regulatory compliance with standard regulations like GDPR, CCPA, and more.
- Automation tools for blocking actions according to each individual user’s risk level with risk-adaptive data protection.
- Gives full visibility of your unstructured data.
- AI and ML tools for data classification.
- A free trial
- Flexible pricing.
- Powerful, intuitive user interface.
- Pre-built DLP rules and dictionaries help in getting started quickly.
- Some of the features are difficult to use.
Verdict: Forcepoint is a highly praiseworthy DLP solution. It helps organizations in discovering, classifying, monitoring, and protecting their data while imposing zero friction on the user experience.
Organizations like Gartner Peer Insights, National Bank of Fujairah, Toyota, BNP Paribas, and many more are happy clients of Forcepoint DLP.
Price: Contact directly to get a price quote.
Website: Forcepoint DLP
Having looked at the need for DLP solutions and the benefits that these platforms offer, and after researching the top Data Loss Prevention tools in detail, we can now safely conclude that Endpoint Protector is the best dedicated DLP option. It is a powerful and fast DLP software with an intuitive interface. It has some highly appealing customer reviews in its pocket.
Our research also concludes that CrowdStrike is no doubt a powerful, feature-loaded cyber security solution, but as far as Data Loss Protection is concerned, we would not recommend CrowdStrike as it is not a dedicated DLP solution.
So the top best DLP solutions are Endpoint Protector by CoSoSys, Symantec Data Loss Prevention, Microsoft Purview Data Loss Prevention (DLP), Digital Guardian, and Forcepoint DLP.