This tutorial reviews and compares the top SASE (Secure Access Service Edge) Vendors with their pricing and features to help you select the best SASE Company:
SASE (Secure Access Service Edge) is a networking technology that integrates the WAN capabilities with network security functions such as SWG, CASB, FWaaS, and ZTNA. It helps IT teams with optimizing access performance, reducing operational complexity, and enhancing security posture on a global scale.
What You Will Learn:
- Secure Access Service Edge (SASE)
- List of Top SASE Vendors
Secure Access Service Edge (SASE)
SASE Cloud Architecture will give a single network connecting and securing all enterprise resources, physical, cloud, and mobile. The ideal SASE solution has characteristics like identity-driven, cloud-native, support for all edges, and globally distributed.
Fact Check: Netskope research says that by 2024, at least 40% of enterprises are expected to have explicit strategies for adopting SASE. SASE solutions will help small to large businesses with extracting the security incidents mentioned in the below image. According to MarketWatch, the global SASE market is expected to reach $3936.4 million by 2026.
Pro Tip: To leverage the SASE platform, it should have cloud-native & cloud-based architecture. It should support all edges and be distributed globally across many PoPs (Points of Presence). A SASE platform with significant geographical reach will let you compete effectively and meet the requirements of low latency. A platform with agent-based capabilities can facilitate policy-based access, and some on-premises-based capabilities can provide network functions like QoS.
Few more points to consider while choosing the SASE vendors are:
- SASE Vendor is providing a solution that has the networking and security as a service converged on it. The solution should be a cloud-native platform with enterprise-grade networking functions like SD-WAN & WAN acceleration and security services like FWaaS, IPS, SWG, etc.
- The platform should be cloud-native to offer the full benefits.
- The ideal SASE solution will be the one that has a global SLA-backed private backbone.
- Another fundamental requirement for SASE is the ZTNA. It is a must-have feature. It helps businesses with configuring application-specific access according to cloud & mobile users, on-premises users, and resources.
- An easy-to-use, intuitive, and robust management platform will reduce the complexity.
Why Does SASE Platform Have Cloud-Native Architecture
SASE platform is converging the networking and security capabilities with appropriate software architecture. It should not be just combining networking and security features through integrating tools. SASE vendors with cloud-native architecture give you maximum flexibility, lowest latency, and resource requirements.
The below image shows the components of the SASE platform:
List of Top SASE Vendors
Here is the list of popular SASE Companies:
- Cato SASE (Recommended)
- Barracuda Networks
- Perimeter 81
- PaloAlto Network
- Akamai Enterprise Application Access
Comparison of Best SASE Companies
|Tools||Our Ratings||About Tool||Best for||Features||Free Trial & Price|
|Cato SASE||Cato SASE Cloud is a cloud-native architecture.||A full set of networking and security capabilities.||SD-WAN, full network security stack, etc.||Free trial available. Get a quote for the price.|
|Twingate||Zero trust access solution that is secure & performant.||Configuring and managing enterprise-wide access controls.||The network is invisible to the internet, a scalable platform, provides zero trust access, etc.||Free trial available for 14 days. It starts at $5 per user per month.|
|Netskope||Netskope platform is fast and cloud smart.||Providing a data-centric, cloud-smart, and fast security platform.||SD-WAN, SWG, CASB, etc.||Demo available. Get a quote.|
|Zscaler||Cloud Security Platform for external, internal, & B2B apps.||Security as a service.||Native & multi-tenant cloud architecture, ZTNA, zero attack surface, etc.||Demo available. Get a quote for pricing details.|
|Barracuda Networks||CloudGen Access is a cloud-native solution.||Security, application delivery, and data protection solutions.||Secure access to internal apps, on-device security, etc.||Free trial available. Get a quote for pricing details.|
Let us review all the listed SASE Vendors below.
#1) Cato SASE (Recommended)
Cato SASE is best for a full set of networking and security capabilities.
Cato SASE cloud is a global converged cloud-native service. It can connect all branches, clouds, people, and data centers. It supports gradual deployment for replacing or augmenting the legacy network services and security point solutions. It provides end-to-end route optimization for WAN and cloud traffic.
- Cato SASE cloud has a self-healing architecture.
- It provides the features of NG firewall, secure web gateway, advanced threat protection, and cloud & mobile security.
- It contains the capabilities for cloud optimization, WAN optimization, and Global Route Optimization.
- Remote Access (SDP/ZTNA)
- Cato Management Application has functionalities for controlling the entire service. This tool will help you with a full network & security policy configuration and provides detailed analytics on the security events & network traffic.
Verdict: Cato SASE has a self-healing architecture and hence provides maximum service uptime. It has a global private backbone of over 65 PoPs connected through multiple SLA-backed network providers.
It can provide the tools and services for edge SD-WAN, Security as a Service, Secure Remote Access, Cloud Application Acceleration, Cloud Datacenter Integration, and a Cloud Management Application.
Price: A free trial is available for the platform. You can get a quote for pricing details.
Best for configuring and managing enterprise-wide access controls.
Twingate is a secure remote access platform for distributed workforces. Traditional and network-centric VPN is an old method and also difficult to maintain. It also leaves a gap for security breaches. With VPN solutions, there are exposed public gateways, lateral attack vulnerability, and difficulty with maintaining it.
Twingate provides the solution that makes your network invisible to the Internet and hence reduces the exposure to attacks. It is a platform with features of administrative usability, client usability, no public gateways, support for all apps, and speed & ease of deployment.
- Twingate is a cloud-based service and provides a rapid implementation of a modern zero-trust network.
- IT teams will be able to easily configure a software-defined perimeter and no need to change the infrastructure.
- It allows teams to centrally manage the user access to various internal apps, on-premises as well as in the cloud.
Verdict: Twingate is a secure, performant, and zero trust platform that can replace corporate VPNs. It is a secure and maintainable solution than any VPNs. It is a scalable platform with minimal maintenance requirements.
Price: Twingate has three pricing plans, Teams ($5 per user per month), Business ($10 per user per month), and Enterprise (get a quote). A free trial is available for 14 days for Teams and Business plans.
Best for providing a data-centric, cloud-smart, and fast security platform.
Netskope SASE is a unified solution of networking and security services. As it follows the data-centric approach, data and users will be protected everywhere. Netskope provides effective security controls for the safe usage of the cloud and web. It can provide advanced analytics, private access, NextGen SWG, CASB, and Public Cloud Security.
- Netskope’s real-time & cloud-native security features provide always on and always present security to your enterprise.
- Its next-generation SWG is a comprehensive web security solution with advanced data & threat protection and content filtering capabilities.
- CASB is an advanced data & threat protection for managed cloud applications like Office 365.
- It is a solution to get the visibility, compliance, and threat protection for critical workloads as well as sensitive data in AWS, Google Cloud Platform, and Microsoft Azure.
Verdict: Netskope has solutions for cloud-native ZTNA, advanced analytics, Next Gen SWG, CASB, and public cloud security. For detecting security misconfigurations, security assessments will be performed by Netskope continuously.
Price: You can get a quote for pricing details.
Best for security as a service.
Zscaler provides the SASE platform for a cloud and mobile world. Zscaler Internet Access can protect from threats and data leakage. Zscaler Private Access is for allowing authorized access to apps and data to protect them. Zscaler business-to-business has functionalities for securing access to B2B apps.
For providing optimal bandwidth and low latency, Zscaler offers a security and policy solution from more than 150 locations.
- Zscaler has a proxy-based architecture that facilitates the full inspection of encrypted traffic.
- ZTNA provides native application segmentation by restricting access.
- It prevents targeted attacks through a Zero attack surface. Zero attack surface prevents source networks & identities from getting exposed to the Internet.
- It has a native, multitenant, cloud architecture that provides dynamic scalability on demand.
Verdict: This automated and cloud-delivered service is easy to deploy and manage. It is an extremely scalable platform.
Price: Zscaler has simple subscription pricing. You can get a quote for pricing details. For the Internet Access and Private Access solutions, Zscaler offers three editions, Professional, Business, and Transformation.
#5) Barracuda Networks
Best for security, application delivery, and data protection solutions.
Barracuda CloudGen Access is a cloud-native platform that provides secure access to SaaS apps, internal apps, and on-device security for any enterprise. It is an infrastructure agnostic solution. It provides on-device security through the proxy without accessing the infrastructure. Most of the computation, logic, and protection is performed on the device.
- Barracuda CloudGen Access has features for preventing phishing and other malware domains through a secure gateway. This secure gateway resides on your device.
- Identity-integrated access proxies provide secure access to internal applications. These proxies are powered by Zero Trust policies.
- To enforce the policies, it performs the continuous verification of user identity & the device. It also continuously verifies the application to enforce policies.
Verdict: Barracuda SASE solution will give you seamless, consistent, and secure network access. It is easy to deploy and manage. It has capabilities for securing critical data and applications.
Price: You can get a quote for pricing details. A free trial is available.
Website: Barracuda Networks
Best for providing assured and reliable application delivery to mobile clients.
VMware offers a cloud-native SASE architecture that has combined multiple solutions in it such as SD-WAN Gateways, VMware Secure Access, ZTNA solution, SWG, CASB, AND VMware NSX Firewall. VMware delivers all these solutions through PoPs. It delivers the network and security services in an intrinsic or sequenced manner.
- VMware has features to help you with various use cases related to cloud resources such as enabling enterprise-wide cloud strategy, scaling new operating models, migrating workloads to the cloud, etc.
- It has functionalities to protect distributed users and applications from internal as well as external threats from all levels such as network, data, application, and user.
- It will let you provide assured, reliable application delivery to mobile clients, campuses, etc. even with unfavorable network conditions.
Verdict: VMware provides networking and security services for branch edges, IoT devices, campuses, and mobile users. With this solution, you will get agility and operational simplicity with building and scaling new global WAN.
Price: You can get a quote for pricing details.
#7) Perimeter 81
Best for a simple transition to cloud environments and complete visibility.
Perimeter 81 SASE platform is a unified network security service solution that has capabilities of network and security functionalities. It offers solutions for zero-trust application access, zero-trust network access, software-defined perimeter, and business VPN solutions. It is suitable for small to large businesses.
It can be used for various use cases such as unified cloud management, Zero-Trust NaaS, Firewall as a Service, Cloud Sandboxing, DNS Security, SaaS Security, Endpoint Security, Endpoint Compliance, etc.
- Zero trust application access provides the features of fully audited access, advanced threat protection, inspecting & logging all traffic, high-performance design, comprehensive API integration, and least privilege access control.
- Its Zero Trust Networking solution offers the features of multi-regional deployment, precise split tunneling, site-to-site interconnectivity, policy-based segmentation, built-in two-factor verification, and network auditing & monitoring.
- To protect networks and critical assets from external threats, Perimeter 81 provides the solution of SDP (Software Defined Perimeter) with features of Adaptive, global access, precise segmentation, and secured & encrypted.
- It also has Next-Gen Secure VPN solutions for businesses.
Verdict: Perimeter 81 is a solution that has basic features for securing and managing the network, advanced features for all businesses, and security features for enterprises. This cloud management platform has dedicated global gateways, fast & easy network deployment, policy-based segmentation, etc.
Price: Perimeter81 offers the solution with three pricing plans, Essentials ($8 per user per month), Premium ($12 per user per month), and Enterprise (get a quote). All these prices are for annual billing. The Enterprise plan will cost you more than $40 per month per gateway.
Website: Perimeter 81
Best for consistent protections across dynamic & distributed networks.
Fortinet SASE solution provides cloud-delivered security for the distributed network. It has combined multiple functionalities such as ZTNA, SWG, cloud-delivered NGFW, etc. It will give consistent protection across all network edges. It has enterprise-grade security features.
FortiSASE contains various tools and functionalities such as DLP, SWG, ZTNA, VPN, Sandboxing, IPS, DNS, etc.
- FortiSASE has capabilities for the automatic prevention of malicious domains. It identifies such domains in real-time and protects your core network.
- Its Intrusion Prevention system performs the monitoring of the network and looks for malicious activities.
- For securing web access against internal as well as external risks, it has the capabilities of SWG (Secure Web Gateway).
- It has features to extend zero-trust network access to remote users.
Verdict: Fortinet offers a fully integrated SASE solution with a wide range of security-driven networking capabilities. It has intuitive deployment and management.
Price: You can get a quote for pricing details.
#9) PaloAlto Network
Best for complete, best-in-class security.
PaloAlto Prisma Access is complete cloud-delivered security. It provides best-in-class security features to protect all apps. It contains the solutions of FWaaS, SWG, ADEM, ZTNA, CASB, and IoT.
- FWaaS is for protecting remote locations from threats. It gives a complete set of security features such as threat protection, URL filtering, etc.
- SWG features can protect from web-based threats. It performs static analysis and uses machine learning.
- You will get end-to-end visibility and insights across network traffic with the help of Autonomous Digital Experience Management (ADEM).
Verdict: Plato Alto Prisma Access is a single cloud-delivered platform. It has capabilities for securing access to all apps. It can protect against all threats.
Price: You can get a quote for pricing details.
Website: Palo Alto Network
#10) Akamai Enterprise Application Access
Best for providing secure remote access to applications.
Akamai Enterprise Application Access is a cloud architecture that has functionalities to close inbound firewall ports and assure internal applications are accessible to only authorized users and devices. It keeps the applications hidden from the internet and public exposure.
It can be used for various use cases such as secure access to cloud applications, remote & third-party applications, accelerate mergers & acquisitions, and displace traditional VPNs.
- You will be able to provide secure access to business-critical applications regardless of the location and the application type. It eliminates the need of delivering full network access.
- Multiple threat signals from third-party applications, devices, and users will help you enhance the access decisions.
- It has capabilities of IdP, MFA, SSO, end-to-end encryption, and load balancing.
Verdict: Akamai offers a user or application-centric model that offers the features for secure access. It is built on the Akamai Intelligent Edge Platform that offers unmatched scalability. Akamai reduces the technical complexity.
Price: A free trial is available. You can get a quote for pricing details.
Website: Akamai Enterprise Application Access
Best for secure access everywhere.
Cisco offers a cloud-native SASE solution with leading network and security functionalities in a single platform. It is a simple and flexible solution that will use your existing investments and eases out the transition. You can choose the consumption model as per your requirements.
- Cisco SASE has features to streamline the creation and management of policies.
- It can secure all users and devices anywhere.
- Cisco SASE platform offers features of cloud-scale architecture, streamlining security in the cloud, Zero Trust Access, and Simplicity.
- It provides flexible and optimized SD-WAN network performance.
- It has security capabilities of secure web gateways, cloud access security brokers, firewalls, and ZTNA.
Verdict: Cisco SASE has combined the SD-WAN and VPN functionalities along with security features like secure gateways and firewalls.
Price: You can try the solution for free. It follows a quote-based pricing model.
Most of the networking and security solutions available in the market are not suitable for cloud-centric and mobile-first digital businesses. SASE vendors have converged the networking and security capabilities in a cloud-native solution. It lowers the cost and offers simplicity and agility.
SASE solutions help businesses with the fast development and delivery of new products. It reduces the time to respond to changes in business conditions.
Considering all the features and capabilities of the ideal SASE platform such as cloud-native architecture, agent-based capabilities, on-premises-based capabilities, and significant geographical reach, Cato SASE is our top recommended solution.
We hope this detailed SASE Vendors review, comparison, and tips will help you with finding the right SASE solution for your business.
- Time is taken to research and write this article: 26 Hours.
- Total tools researched online: 29
- Top tools shortlisted for review: 11