This tutorial explains the best Network Security Policy Management NSPM tools that will perfectly cater to your specific requirements:
Network Security Policy Management tools are nothing short of a godsend for system administrators.
These tools empower admins with the ability to enforce and manage device settings as well as configurations across their entire network from a single, centralized dashboard. Such software is imperative in today’s day and age, especially for networks that support a plethora of end users.
From documenting policy modifications to automating security, a decent NSPM tool can do it all without hassle. That being said, not all NSPM tools in the market are similar in quality with regard to their features and capabilities.
Therefore, it is very important to be deliberate and careful when looking for an NSPM tool that perfectly caters to your specific requirements.
What You Will Learn:
- Popular Network Security Policy Management (NSPM) Software
- Frequently Asked Questions
- List of the Best Network Security Policy Management Tools
Popular Network Security Policy Management (NSPM) Software
For NSPM software to be considered good, it would be great at managing both firewall and network configurations. It should also provide an accurate audit log of all policy changes made. Moreover, it should support frameworks that help you adhere to compliance standards.
In this article, we would like to make the jobs of system administrators considerably simpler by naming top NSPM tools that are some of the very best out there in the market today.
Market Trends: According to a report published by Acumen Research and Consulting on Globe News Wire, the global network security market is currently growing at a CAGR of 11.7%. If the trend continues, then the network security market’s global value is expected to reach USD 84,457 million by 2030.
- Go for NSPM tools that are easy to deploy.
- They should offer wizards and templates to help you create security policies easily.
- The tool should facilitate the automatic deployment of security policies on devices across the network.
- Check whether the tool affords you the privilege of managing device security remotely.
- Ensure there is a free trial or demo so you can vet the tool first before paying for it.
Benefits of Tools for NSPM
There are many benefits to using NSPM software. Some of its most prominent advantages are as follows:
- Such software can streamline the creation and enforcement of security policies across the network.
- You are provided with templates, pre-built configurations, and model policies to ensure consistency when implementing security policies across your organization.
- NSPM tools can automate the process of policy design and implementation, thus saving staff time to focus on other aspects of their business.
- They allow for centralized management of security policies on multiple devices active on an enterprise’s network.
- They can be scaled effectively to hundreds or even thousands of devices without requiring any additional resources.
Different Types of NSPM Software
There are different types of NSPM tools out there based on the various types of protection they offer.
They are as follows:
- Firewall management
- Network segmentation
- Zero Trust Access
- Data Loss Prevention
- Remote VPN
- Cloud Network Security
- Intrusion Prevention System
How can software be integrated with NSPM Software?
To improve the process of security policy implementation and to guarantee continuous compliance, NSPM software can be integrated with a plethora of third-party CI/CD, network security, and vulnerability management tools out there. Now how many platforms the software can seamlessly integrate with will depend on the specific software itself.
For instance, here are just a few of the tools that Tufin supports integration with:
- Amazon Web Services
- Google Cloud
- ZScaler etc
These integrations facilitate the streamlining of compliance and automation of network security policy management.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q #1) What is Network Security Policy Management?
Answer: Network security policy management is nothing but the act of managing a network’s firewall and security policy in a bid to monitor or prevent access to it. This is usually done to protect network infrastructure from potential harm.
Network Security Policy Management is especially important for administrators in charge of managing a network that supports many end-users. Today, system administrators usually rely on a single NSPM solution to make this entire process rather convenient.
Q #2) What are the 6 basic network security measures?
Answer: The 6 basic network security measures that you can take are as follows:
- Install antivirus programs.
- Stay up-to-date with the latest news on cyber-security threats.
- Make sure everyone on your team is aware of the proper security protocols.
- Be privy to entry points of attack and proactively block them.
- Make sure your team follows good physical security habits.
- Perform rigorous security tests.
Q #3) What are the 9 elements of network security?
Answer: The following are the 9 elements of network security:
- DDoS Mitigation
- Intrusion prevention system
- Network firewall
- Unified Threat Management
- Network Access Control
- Cloud Access Security Broker
- Advanced Network Threat Prevention
- Network behavior anomaly detection
- SD-Wan security
Q #4) What are the 5 pillars of security?
Answer: The 5 pillars of security are:
- Crisis Management
- Infrastructure security
Q #5) What do the 3 A’s in network security stand for?
Answer: AAA is basically a framework by which administrators can enforce policies, control access to devices, audit usage, and get the information necessary to bill for services. The 3 A’s in network security stand for Accounting, Authenticity, and Authorization.
List of the Best Network Security Policy Management Tools
Some remarkable software for Network Security Policy Management:
- AWS Firewall Manager
- ManageEngine Firewall Analyzer
- Cisco Defense Orchestrator
- SolarWinds Network Configuration Manager
Comparing Some of the TOP NSPM Software
|Tufin||Deploying Zero Trust Architecture||Automates network changes,|
Comprehensive data analytics,
Unlimited 24/7 support
|Nothing noteworthy||Quote based.|
|AWS Firewall Manager||Centralized dashboard to manage Firewall policies across multiple accounts||Centrally deploy policies across VPCs,|
Automatic deployment of VPC security groups,
|More training documentation needed||Starts at $100 per policy per region.|
|Skybox Security||Vulnerability and security policy management||Centralized interface,|
Easy to use,
Generate informative reports firewalls
|AlgoSec||Automating security policy across Hybrid network||Convenient policy management,|
Excellent rule management,
Great at policy compliance auditing
|Attack path simulation testing needs work.||Quote-Based|
|ManageEngine Firewall Analyzer||Configuration management for network security devices||Centralized dashboard,|
Reports with actionable insights,
Helps you adhere to compliance standards
|The reporting can sometimes be unintuitive||Starts at $395|
Best for deploying Zero Trust Architecture.
With Tufin, you get a centralized security management solution that allows you to create and define a comprehensive security policy. The software arms your SysAdmin team with all the tools they need to rapidly automate changes to the network while adhering to expected compliance standards.
By using Tufin, you are perhaps using one of the most advanced network topology engines to define and enforce network security policy changes across your public and private cloud infrastructure. You also get to leverage data-driven analytics to detect risks and assess the configuration of firewalls, routers, cloud platforms, switches, etc.
- Supports Hybrid and Multi-Cloud security
- Firewall Auditing
- Continuous Compliance
- Network Automation
- Policy-centric approach to security management
- Automate network changes
- Comprehensive data analytics
- Unlimited 24/7 support
- Integrates with other existing security and IT operation tools
- Nothing significant
Verdict: With Tufin, your organization gets a full-fledged NSPM solution that’s powered by probably one of the most powerful security policy automation technologies. The platform is perfect for those who wish to deploy Zero trust architecture to secure both their cloud and network infrastructure.
Price: Contact Tufin’s team for a clear quote.
#2) AWS Firewall Manager
Best for centralized dashboards to manage Firewall policies across multiple accounts.
AWS Firewall Manager is a platform that allows you to manage firewall policies across multiple AWS accounts via a central administrator account. The software basically makes it easier for administrators to deploy managed rules on your applications across different accounts.
Once a firewall policy has been defined, AWS Firewall Manager automatically enforces it across both existing and newly created resources. The platform also helps you protect your VPCs (Virtual Private Cloud) by letting you deploy baseline security group rules via a centralized dashboard.
- Cross-Account Protection Policies
- Multi-account resource groups
- Hierarchical rule enforcement
- Audit future and existing security groups
- Intuitive dashboard with compliance notification
- Centrally deploy policies across VPCs
- Automatic deployment of VPC security groups
- Centralized administration
- More training documentation needed
Verdict: With a centralized management system and real-time protection capabilities, AWS Firewall Manager serves as the perfect choice for network security that’s supported by a limited number of connections and users.
Price: Starts at $100 per policy per region.
Website: AWS Firewall Manager
#3) Skybox Security
Best for vulnerability and security policy management.
With Skybox Security, you get a complete NSPM solution that allows system administrators to manage security policies across a hybrid network. You get all the tools needed to gather and optimize network data to get complete visibility, insight, and control over your organization’s entire network.
Besides efficient security policy management, Skybox Security also takes a very systematic approach to vulnerability management. Get complete visibility into your attack surface. The software is capable of automatically analyzing the impact a threat can have and providing remediation advice so you can respond to the threat appropriately.
- Change Management Automation
- Centrally managed virtual and traditional firewalls
- Identify and fix vulnerabilities with the help of in-built threat intelligence
- Easily create, recertify, and de-provision firewall policies
- Centralized interface
- Easy to use
- Generate informative reports on firewalls
- Excellent vulnerability control module
- Some may find the pricing too high
Verdict: Skybox Security offers an NSPM solution that can address the challenges that often plague organizations that harbor a large, complex network. It is phenomenal at both security policy management and vulnerability management.
Price: Contact for a quote
Website: Skybox Security
Best for automating security policies across Hybrid networks.
AlgoSec is considered a global leader when it comes to NSPM solutions. One glance at what’s being offered and you’ll understand why AlgoSec enjoys such a privilege.
Your organization gets a powerful solution that allows you to both identify and map security policies across your entire network. This includes private and public cloud infrastructure along with containers and on-premise networks.
AlgoSec’s NSPM solution is great at automating security policy changes as well as application connectivity. The software also makes sure you are adhering to the required compliance standards by automatically generating reports that are ready for audit.
- Application Discovery and Network Management
- Network Segmentation
- Security Policy Change Management
- Security Policy Risk Mitigation
- Managing security in a Hybrid Cloud
- Convenient Policy Management
- Excellent rule management
- Great at policy compliance auditing
- Attack path simulation testing needs work.
Verdict: AlgoSec’s NSPM solution is for you if you seek software that’s fast and effective at security management across public and private cloud networks. This, along with the ability to automate application connectivity make AlgoSec an NSPM tool worth trying.
Price: Contact for a quote
#5) ManageEngine Firewall Analyzer
Best for configuration management for network security devices.
ManageEngine Firewall Analyzer is a tool you can try to essentially strengthen your IT network infrastructure’s security. The software comes jam-packed with features that allow you to easily monitor firewall rules and changes associated with it.
The software is perfect at auditing firewall security as well, thus making sure you are in line with the required compliance standards.
From a remarkably centralized dashboard, you get to keep an eye on both frequently used and unused policies. You also get actionable reports that can help you find anomalies in the firewall policy that may put your entire IT network at risk.
- Audit Firewall Security
- Policy Change Management
- Data-driven analysis
- Firewall policy modification
- Centralized dashboard
- Reports with actionable insights
- Helps you adhere to compliance standards
- Quick and easy deployment
- The reporting can sometimes be unintuitive.
Verdict: ManageEngine Firewall Analyzer is a software that can help you implement the best firewall practices in a bid to reduce the security risk to your organization. It shines because of analytical reporting capabilities and a user-friendly, centralized interface.
Price: Starts at $395
Website: ManageEngine Firewall Analyzer
Best for security infrastructure automation.
Indeni allows you to validate and then implement the best security infrastructure operations. You gain complete visibility into your organization’s IT network infrastructure. Indeni has the ability to auto-detect issues with greater accuracy. You will be instantly notified of any performance issues.
The platform also allows you to autonomously run API queries as well as CLI commands. All problems reported are presented in full context. You then also get to leverage battle-tested solutions that have been developed by Indeni’s in-house team of security professionals.
- Non-compliance identity
- Advanced network security monitoring
- Proactive Maintenance notification
- Continuous health detection
- Auto-detect issues
- Auto-triage issues
- Rapid visualization of current and historical data
- More suited for large enterprises than small start-ups
Verdict: Indeni facilitates both reactive and proactive infrastructure management. Its ability to auto-detect issues and implement resolutions that have been developed by its team of security professionals themselves is what’s earned it a position on my list.
Price: Contact us for pricing
#7) Cisco Defense Orchestrator
Best for streamlined policy definition and enforcement.
This cloud-based security policy management software is great at helping system administrators create consistent security rules that can be enforced across an entire network. It is designed to create, manage, and deploy security policies across Cisco security products of all types.
It is also phenomenal at protecting your IT infrastructure from the latest IT threats. The platform also supports continuous scanning, which makes it capable of detecting any changes to a device on the network immediately.
- Automatic detection of new devices on the network
- Get detailed reports on network changes being made
- Detect ransomware and DDoS attacks
- Deploy policies quickly using ready-made templates
- Good for combatting cyber-security threats
- On-site support with each plan
- Largely designed to enforce security policy for Cisco products
Verdict: With Cisco Defense Orchestrator, you get a single powerful NSPM solution that can accurately detect performance-enhancing changes so you have the information necessary to improve network and security changes.
Price: Contact for a quote
Website: Cisco Defense Orchestrator
#8) SolarWinds Network Configuration Manager
Best for fast configuration management.
What makes SolarWinds a great NSPM tool is its network compliance and automation capabilities. It is a tool that many enterprises have relied on to automate and manage network configurations. The software can automatically detect outdated configurations and roll them back at your behest to ensure your network isn’t compromised.
The tool is also proactive at making an inventory list of all devices present across your network. With impeccable network discovery, you can unearth all the latest details about devices active on your network in a second.
- Network Compliance
- Network Automation
- Vulnerability Management
- Configuration Automation
- Integration with existing network performance monitoring tools
- Fast and secure configuration management
- 24/7 tech support
- Generating reports for port security violations can be challenging
Verdict: SolarWinds Network Configuration Manager facilitates fast, automated, and error-free automation management. It is great at vulnerability assessment and ensuring network compliance, and therefore earns its place on my list.
Price: Contact for a quote
Website: SolarWinds Network Configuration Manager
Best for real-time network governance.
Ditno provides a bunch of tools that all deliver excellent network security policy management. You can enforce policies across hybrid environments with the NSPM solutions Ditno offers. Ditno gathers and offers you information that can help you prevent the deployment of non-compliant controls.
What really makes Ditno’s solutions shine is the fact that they can apply micro-segmentations to networks. This basically reduces your network’s attack surface as even if a hacker makes it into your network, they won’t be able to move laterally across your environment.
- Unified Network governance
- Microsoft Azure integration
- Continuous audit engine
- Highly automated
- Gain complete visibility into hybrid environments
- Centralized management platform
- No customizable reporting
Verdict: With Ditno, you get a cloud-based cyber security management platform that can secure your IT environment from all sorts of threats in real time. Its integration with Microsoft Azure and AWS alone makes it worth checking out.
Price: Contact for a quote
A strong network security policy lays out the guidelines that facilitate computer network access. It allows system administrators to define a cohesive architecture for an organization’s entire network infrastructure. It basically determines how to best implement security policies across an entire network.
The challenge here comes when the network structure is large and complex with numerous end users to cater to. This is where NSPM tools can come to your rescue. Each NSPM solution mentioned in this article has earned its place on this list because of how exceptional they are at network compliance, automation, risk analysis, and threat management.
With one of these tools by your side, implementing best network security practices is not as challenging as it once used to be.
As per our recommendations, we suggest you look no further than Tufin. It is ideal for deploying zero-trust architecture and can help you accomplish end-to-end network security across your hybrid IT infrastructure.
- We spent 14 hours researching and writing this article so you can have summarized and insightful information on which NSPM tool will best suit you.
- Total NSPM Tools Researched: 30
- Total Network Security Policy Management Tools Shortlisted: 9