The list of the Best free DDoS Attack Tools in the market:
Distributed Denial of Service Attack is the attack that is made on a website or a server to lower the performance intentionally.
Multiple computers are used for this. These multiple computers attack the targeted website or server with the DoS attack. As this attack is performed through a distributed network it is called as Distributed Denial of Service attack.
In simple terms, multiple computers send fake requests to the target in larger quantity. The target is flooded with such requests, thereby the resources become unavailable to legitimate requests or users.
Purpose of DDoS Attack
Generally, the purpose of a DDoS attack is to crash the website.
The duration for which the DDoS attack will last depends on the fact that the attack is on the network layer or application layer. Network layer attack lasts for a maximum of 48 to 49 hours. Application layer attack lasts for a maximum of 60 to 70 days.
DDoS or any other similar kind of attack is illegal as per the Computer Misuse act 1990. As it is illegal, an attacker can get the punishment of imprisonment.
There are 3 types of DDoS Attacks:
- Volume-based attacks,
- Protocol attacks, and
- Application layer attacks.
Following are the methods of doing DDoS attacks:
- UDP flood
- ICMP (Ping) flood
- SYN flood
- Ping of Death
- NTP Amplification
- HTTP flood
=> Contact us to suggest a listing here.
What You Will Learn:
Most Popular Top DDoS Attack Tools In 2021
Given below is a list of the most popular DDoS tools that are available in the market.
Comparison Of Top DDoS Tools
|DDoS attack tools||About attack||Verdict|
|SolarWinds SEM Tool||It is an effective mitigation and prevention software to stop DDoS attacks.||The method SEM follows to maintain logs and events will make it a single source of truth for post-breach investigations and DDoS mitigation.|
|HULK||It generates unique and obscure traffic||It may fail in hiding the identity. Traffic coming through HULK can be blocked.|
|Tor’s Hammer||Apache & IIS server||Running the tool through the Tor network will have an added advantage as it hides your identity.|
|Slowloris||Send authorized HTTP traffic to the server||As it makes the attack at a slow rate, traffic can be easily detected as abnormal and can be blocked.|
|LOIC||UDP, TCP, and HTTP requests to the server||HIVEMIND mode will allow you to control remote LOIC systems. With the help of this, you can control other computers in Zombie network.|
|XOIC||DoS attack with TCP or HTTP or UDP or ICMP message||Attack made using XOIC can be easily detected and blocked|
#1) SolarWinds Security Event Manager (SEM)
SolarWinds provides a Security Event Manager that is effective mitigation and prevention software to stop the DDoS Attack. It will monitor the event logs from a wide range of sources for detecting and preventing DDoS activities.
SEM will identify interactions with potential command and control servers by taking advantage of community-sourced lists of known bad actors. For this, it consolidates, normalizes, and reviews logs from various sources like IDS/IPs, firewalls, servers, etc.
- SEM has features of automated responses for sending alerts, blocking an IP, or shutting down an account.
- The tool will allow you to configure the options by using checkboxes.
- It keeps the logs and events in an encrypted and compressed format and records them in an unalterable read-only format.
- This method of maintaining logs and events will make SEM a single source of truth for post-breach investigations and DDoS mitigation.
- SEM will allow you to customize filters according to specific timeframes, accounts/IPs, or combinations of parameters.
Verdict: The method SEM follows to maintain logs and events will make it a single source of truth for post-breach investigations and DDoS mitigation.
HULK stands for HTTP Unbearable Load King. It is a DoS attack tool for the web server. It is created for research purposes.
- It can bypass the cache engine.
- It can generate unique and obscure traffic.
- It generates a great volume of traffic at the web server.
Verdict: It may fail in hiding the identity. Traffic coming through HULK can be blocked.
#3) Tor’s Hammer
This tool is created for testing purposes. It is for slow post attack.
- If you run it through Tor network then you will remain unidentified.
- In order to run it through Tor, use 127.0.0.1:9050.
- With this tool, the attack can be made on Apache and IIS servers.
Verdict: Running the tool through the Tor network will have an added advantage as it hides your identity.
Website: Tor’s Hammer
Slowloris tool is used to make a DDoS attack. It is used to make the server down.
- It sends authorized HTTP traffic to the server.
- It doesn’t affect other services and ports on the target network.
- This attack tries to keep the maximum connection engaged with those that are open.
- It achieves this by sending a partial request.
- It tries to hold the connections as long as possible.
- As the server keeps the false connection open, this will overflow the connection pool and will deny the request to the true connections.
Verdict: As it makes the attack at a slow rate, traffic can be easily detected as abnormal and can be blocked.
LOIC stands for Low Orbit Ion Cannon. It is a free and popular tool that is available for the DDoS attack.
- It is easy to use.
- It sends UDP, TCP, and HTTP requests to the server.
- It can do the attack based on the URL or IP address of the server.
- Within seconds, the website will be down and it will stop responding to the actual requests.
- It will NOT HIDE your IP address. Even using the proxy server will not work. Because in that case, it will make the proxy server a target.
Verdict: HIVEMIND mode will allow you to control remote LOIC systems. With the help of this, you can control the other computers in the Zombie network.
It is a DDoS attacking tool. With the help of this tool, the attack can be made on small websites.
- It is easy to use.
- It provides three modes to attack.
- Testing mode.
- Normal DoS attack mode.
- DoS attack with TCP or HTTP or UDP or ICMP message.
Verdict: Attack made using XOIC can be easily detected and blocked.
DDOSIM stands for DDoS Simulator. This tool is for simulating the real DDoS attack. It can attack on the website as well as on the network.
- It attacks the server by reproducing many Zombie hosts.
- These hosts create a complete TCP connection with the server.
- It can do HTTP DDoS attack using valid requests.
- It can do DDoS attack using invalid requests.
- It can make an attack on the application layer.
Verdict: This tool works on Linux systems. It can attack with valid and invalid requests.
Website: DDo Simulator
RUDY stands for R-U-Dead-Yet. This tool makes the attack using a long form field submission through POST method.
- Interactive console menu.
- You can select the forms from the URL, for the POST-based DDoS attack.
- It identifies the form fields for data submission. Then injects the long content length data to this form, at a very slow rate.
Verdict: It works at a very slow rate, hence it is time-consuming. Because of the slow rate, it can be detected as abnormal and can get blocked.
This tool is created for testing. To make a DoS attack on the server, this tool uses SOCKS proxies and SSL connections.
- The attack can be made on HTTP, FTP, SMTP, IMAP, and Telnet.
- It has an easy to use GUI.
- It directly makes an attack on service.
Verdict: It has python dependency and installation also can be difficult. It can make attacks on various protocols.
#10) OWASP DOS HTTP POST:
OWASP stands for Open Web Application Security Project. This tool is created for testing against the application layer attacks. It can also be used to test the performance. This tool can be used to decide the capacity of the server.
This attack uses the SSL exhaustion method. It makes the server down by exhausting all the SSL connections. It can work using a single machine.
This tool is also used to make an attack on the server. It is used for performing security testing. It is specially made for testing purposes.
It makes the DDoS attack by sending TCP/IP, UDP, ICMP, SYN packets. It displays the replies similar to Ping program. This tool is created for testing purposes. It is used for testing firewall rules.
The list of tools mentioned in this article is the most popular ones for making a DDoS attack. These tools can be great resources for performance and security testing.
To conclude, HULK will be a good tool for research purposes. LOIC and XOIC are easy to use. LOIC can be used for testing. RUDY and PyLoris are also created especially for testing purposes.
Recommended reading => The best DDoS Protection Tools and Services
Hope this informative article on DDoS Attack tools was of immense help to you!!