This tutorial explains what is the Windows Services Manager, how to access it, and fix the service manager not opening error:
Windows comes in with various features and, using these features, users can easily manage Windows in the most compatible form.
These features are not hidden, but very few people know about these features, and by using them, you can boost your system’s performance.
So in this article, we will discuss the secret feature of Windows Services and various ways to access service Manager.
What You Will Learn:
What is Windows Service Manager
Service Manager is a particular folder in Windows which allows users to access and change various essential services of the system. It is Microsoft Management Console which enables users to manage services in the system in GUI form, and also it makes it easier for the users to Start/Stop or configure services settings.
Service Manager makes it easier to access such services and activates Windows services to enhance system settings.
Various Ways to Access Service Manager
There are various ways to access Service.msc and they are discussed below:
#1) Access Directly
Services are a directly accessible feature which implies that this is not found in God Mode of Windows. You can make this feature and changes directly in your system services.
Follow the steps listed below to access services now:
- Type “Services” in the Windows start bar and press Enter. A few options will appear as displayed in the image below. Click on “Open“.
- Services dialog box will open as displayed below. Right-click on the service and click on “Start” from the drop-down menu.
- If you want to disable the application, right-click on service and click on “Stop“.
By clicking on Start and stop from the drop-down menu, you can enable/disable services.msc Windows in your system.
#2) Using Command Line
Windows provides its users with an exceptional feature called the command line. Using the feature, users can access various components of the system. Bypassing commands in the console, users can perform various operations, and one of these operations includes accessing services.
Follow the steps listed below to pass orders through Command Line in Windows:
- Type Command Prompt in the Windows search bar and click on “Open” as displayed in the image below.
- A window will open. Type “services.msc” as shown below and press Enter.
The service window will open, and you can enable/disable services in the same manner by using commands like “net start service, net stop service, net pause service, net resume service.”
#3) Using Run
Run is an extra feature provided in Windows, which provides a quick gateway to various applications and services in Windows. Users can quickly access any application by typing the system name for that feature. The system name for services is services.msc.
So follow the steps listed below to access services using Run:
- Press ‘’Windows + R’’ from your keyboard, and the Run dialog box will appear as displayed in the image below. Enter “services. msc” and then click on “OK“.
- The service window will open as displayed in the image below.
#4) Using Control Panel
Control Panel is the system administrator for Windows, as all-important applications can be accessed using the Control Panel. The Control Panel has various icons which can guide users to multiple sections of the system.
So follow the steps listed below to open services using Control Panel:
- Search for the Control Panel in the Windows search bar and click on “Open“.
- When the Control Panel window opens, click on “System and Security“.
- Now System and Security window will open; click on “Administrative Tools” as displayed in the image below.
- When the Administrative tools folder opens as displayed in the image below, navigate for “Services” and double click on it to open Services.
Fixes for Service Manager Not Opening Error:
After following the steps listed above, if you cannot open Service Manager, then there are chances that you are facing Service Manager not opening error.
There are various ways to fix this error, and some of them are discussed below:
Various fundamental issues in the system are resolved by simply restarting the system to resume your system normally. Therefore, there are chances that your issue might get resolved by simply restarting the system. So, follow the steps listed below to restart your system:
- Press the ‘’Windows’’ button and then press the Shift key from the keyboard, and while pressing the Shift key, click on the Power button as displayed in the image below.
#2) Safe Mode
Safe mode is a boot mode in which the system boots only with essential system files and processes. So you can boot in safe mode and then access Services and resolve any other issues on the system.
- Press the Windows button, search for System Configuration, and click on “Open” as projected in the image below.
- Click on “Boot” and then click on “Safe Boot”. Under the heading “Boot Options,” click on “Minimal” then click on “Apply” and then on “OK”.
- A dialog box will appear. Click on “Restart“.
Now the system will restart in safe mode.
The primary cause of various issues in the system is due to corrupt files, so Windows offers its users a feature known as System File Checker, which allows them to find and fix all corrupt files in the system. Follow the steps listed below to initiate the system file checker:
- Click on the “Start” button and search for “Windows PowerShell” as shown in the image below. Now make a right-click and click on “Run as Administrator“.
- A blue window will be visible; type “SFC/scan now” and press “Enter” as shown in the image below.
- After the process is completed, a window will appear, as shown in the image below.
When the process is completed, the system will locate all the corrupt files and fix them.
#4) Start/Stop/Pause/Resume services
Windows provides its users with the features, which make it easier for them to change the mode of services as users can start, stop, pause or resume the services based on the requirements.
So, follow the steps listed below to manage the mode of services:
- Open Service Manager and right-click on the service and then click on “Properties”.
- Then you can choose any model from the options present within the service as displayed in the image below.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q #1) What are services.msc called?
Answer: It is Microsoft Management Console, which allows you to manage services in the system in GUI form.
Q #2) What is the use of the Services MSC command?
Answer: The services.msc command allows users to access the Services folder in Windows and make changes in services.
Q #3) What are the services MSC in Windows 10?
Answer: Services MSC is a folder in Windows that allows users to enable/disable Windows 10.
Q #4) How do I open services.msc in Windows 10?
Answer: There are various ways to open services in Windows 10, and some of them are discussed below:
- Access Directly
- Using Command Line
- Using Run
- Using Control Panel
- Using PowerShell
Q #5) How do I fix MSC services?
Answer: You can run a system file scan which will locate corrupt files in the system, and when the process is completed, the issue will be resolved.
Various features in Windows make it easier for the users to manage the system. Similarly, there are a few services in Windows that are unknown to the users and by enabling those services, users can make their tasks much easier and become more efficient at work.
So, in this article, we have discussed various ways with which we can access services.msc in the system.