Here we will discuss the steps of the top effective methods to solve the “NVIDIA Control Panel Won’t Open” problem:
The NVIDIA Control Panel allows you to adjust all the features of your graphics card like color settings, refresh rate, resolution, along with G-Sync and other Nvidia-specific features. Initially, they used to come as a part of the Windows driver package, but now it’s no longer the case. However, they are available in the Microsoft Windows Store for download.
If everything is perfect, you can launch the app simply by clicking on its icon. When the icon is not visible, you can right-click on the desktop, and from the context menu, you can select the Nvidia Control Panel. If it’s not available on the menu, you can add it using the Nvidia Control Panel section of the Windows Control Panel.
In this article, we are going to take you through how to open the NVIDIA Control Panel and what to do when NVIDIA Control Panel won’t open.
What You Will Learn:
- Ways To Open NVIDIA Control Panel
- Solutions To Fix: Can’t Open NVIDIA Control Panel
- #1) Update Your Drivers
- #2) Update Your System
- #3) Restart NVIDIA Control Panel
- #4) Check For Necessary Services
- #5) Fix The Registry
- #6) Check Your Antivirus Program
- #7) Uninstall NVIDIA Graphics Card Driver
- #8) Disable Fast Boot Option (Windows 10)
- #9) Check That NVIDIA Control Panel Is Not Hidden
- #10) Set Highest Display Resolution
- Frequently Asked Questions
Ways To Open NVIDIA Control Panel
There are a few ways to open NVIDIA Control Panel.
#1) Desktop Method
Follow these steps:
- Right-click on an empty space on the Desktop.
- Find the NVIDIA Control Panel in the context panel.
- Click on the option to launch it.
#2) Control Panel Method
If you can’t find the NVIDIA Control Panel in the context menu, you can use Windows Control Panel to open it. It is a little complex method but works like a charm.
- Go to the search option for Windows.
- Type Control Panel.
- Click on Control Panel from the results.
- Go to Hardware and Sound.
- You will find it at the bottom of the options.
Solutions To Fix: Can’t Open NVIDIA Control Panel
There are many reasons you might not open NVIDIA Control Panel. The system and driver could be outdated. There could be an issue with the installation of the tool. Here is what you can do if NVIDIA Control Panel won’t open.
#1) Update Your Drivers
From The System:
- Click on the Start menu.
- Launch Device Manager.
- Go to Display Adapters.
- Right-click on the NVIDIA.
- Select Update Driver.
The wizard will install automatically if there is an update available. If this doesn’t happen, that means your driver is already updated. After the driver is updated, restart your system.
From The Website:
There could be another reason you can’t open NVIDIA. Maybe your NVIDIA drivers are outdated. In that case, visit NIVIDIA’s website and download the latest drivers.
- Visit NVIDIA Driver Page
- Search the driver manually.
- After entering data in all fields, click on Start Search.
- After the search is complete, you will get a driver option to download.
- Click on Download.
Once you have installed the latest driver on your system, you should be able to open NVIDIA Control Panel. You can also download GeForce Experience to get notifications whenever NVIDIA releases a new driver and updates with a single click.
Use Third-Party Tools For Updating NVIDIA Drivers:
If you don’t want to manually search the website for drivers, there are tools that can help you automatically update your drivers.
- Download and install a driver update tool.
- Launch the application
- Let it detect your fault drivers.
- Select NVIDIA to update its driver.
#2) Update Your System
Sometimes, it’s not your driver, but your system needs to be updated. Here’s how to do that:
- Press Windows and I to launch the settings.
- Go to System and Security or Update and Security.
- Navigate to Windows Update.
- Click on Check for updates.
- Wait for the system to finish the update.
- Try opening NVIDIA Control Panel now.
#3) Restart NVIDIA Control Panel
In Windows, every application comes with a background process. The associated process is initiated when you click on an application. The process for graphics starts with Windows every time since they are essential for the functioning of the graphics cards.
However, sometimes due to glitches in your system, the program doesn’t work properly, even when the background service is running. In such cases, you will need to restart the service.
Follow these steps:
- Press Ctrl+Shift+Esc to launch the Task Manager.
- Go to the Applications Tab.
- Right-click on the NVIDIA Control Panel Application option.
- Select End Task.
- Exit the Task Manager.
Try relaunching the NVIDIA Control Panel.
#4) Check For Necessary Services
For the NVIDIA Control Panel to run properly, check that certain services should be running. One reason you can’t open the control panel could be that some necessary services aren’t running properly.
To check if all the necessary associated services are running properly or not, follow these steps:
- Press WIndows+R together to launch the Run Prompt.
- Type services.msc.
- Click OK.
- Go to NVIDIA Display Container LS.
- Check if it is Running.
- If not, Right-click on it.
- Select Restart.
#5) Fix The Registry
Sometimes an issue in the registry can be the why you cannot open NVIDIA Control Panel.
- Launch Run Prompt by pressing Windows+R simultaneously.
- Type regedit.
- Hit Enter.
- This will open the Registry Editor.
- Go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT.
- Select Directory.
- Click on Background.
- And the select ContextMenuHandler.
- Now right-click NvCplDesktopContext.
- Select Delete.
- Now go back to the Background.
- Right-click on Shell.
- Click on New.
- Select Key.
- Name it NVIDIA Control Panel.
- Now right-click on NVIDIA Control Panel.
- Go to New.
- Select Key.
- Name it command.
- Go to the default value and double-click on it.
- In Value Data type C:\Windows\System32\nvcplui.exe
- Click on OK.
- Restart your system.
#6) Check Your Antivirus Program
At times, your antivirus program might be the reason the NVIDIA Control Panel won’t open. Some antivirus might interfere with the program, preventing it from opening. To fix this issue, go to the settings of your antivirus and make sure it is not blocking the program.
If not, disable all the features of your antivirus and try opening NVIDIA Control Panel again. If you still can’t open the program, disable it or, in the worst-case scenario, uninstall your antivirus and then check if you can open NVIDIA Control Panel now.
#7) Uninstall NVIDIA Graphics Card Driver
If nothing works, you might have to uninstall NVIDIA Graphics Card and then install it again. There are a few ways to uninstall NVIDIA Graphics Card Driver.
Through Device Manager:
- Right-click on the start menu.
- Select Device Manager.
- Click on Display Adapters to access the extended menu.
- Right-click on the NVIDIA graphic card.
- Select Uninstall.
- Click on Yes for confirmation.
Through Control Panel:
- Press the Windows+X key simultaneously.
- From the menu, select Control Panel.
- Click on Uninstall Program.
- Uninstall everything with NVIDIA in its name.
You can also use the program uninstaller to properly uninstall the program. There are many good uninstallers that you can use. Download and install your preferred uninstaller and launch it. Select NVIDIA to uninstall and wait for the program to finish uninstalling.
After you have uninstalled the program, restart your system and get ready to reinstall NVIDIA Graphic Card from scratch.
Reinstalling NVIDIA Driver:
- Visit NVIDIA Driver Page.
- Find the Driver manually.
- Fill in the required details on the page.
- Click on Search.
- Select Download beside the desired driver.
- Go to the downloaded driver.
- Launch the installer.
- Select Custom Install.
- Go for Clean Install.
This will clean all the remains of previous installations and install the latest versions. Restart your system. You should be able to open NVIDIA Control Panel now.
#8) Disable Fast Boot Option (Windows 10)
Fast Boot in Windows 10 allows your system to boot faster than the previous versions. It doesn’t allow your system to shut down completely, hence boosting the reboot process. But this often causes issues like NVIDIA Control Panel won’t open Windows 10. Disabling this feature might solve your problem.
- Hold down Windows+S keys together.
- Type Power Settings.
- Select Power & Sleep settings.
- Navigate to Related Settings.
- Click on Additional Power Settings.
- Go to Choose What Power Button Do.
- Click on Change Settings That Are Currently Unavailable.
- Uncheck the box beside Turn on fast Startup.
- Click Save Changes.
#9) Check That NVIDIA Control Panel Is Not Hidden
If you cannot open NVIDIA Control Panel because you can’t find it on your desktop or context menu, try this option.
- Press Windows+S to launch Search Bar.
- Type Control Panel.
- From the search results, select Control Panel.
- Go to NVIDIA Control Panel.
- Click on Desktop Tab.
- Select Add Desktop Context menu.
- Click on Show Notification Tray Icon.
#10) Set Highest Display Resolution
Sometimes display resolution also impacts NVIDIA Control Panel.
- Right-click on the empty area on your desktop.
- Click on Display Settings.
- Select the highest resolution.
- Click Apply and then OK.
- Restart your system.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q #1) How do I manually open NVIDIA Control Panel?
Answer: Right-click on the start menu bar to launch the context menu and select NVIDIA Control Panel. You can also manually open it from the Start menu via Control Panel.
Q #2) Why does my NVIDIA Control Panel not show display?
Answer: There can be many reasons NVIDIA Control Panel doesn’t show display. It could be because the driver is outdated or that your antivirus is interfering with it. Reinstall the drivers and your antivirus one by one and check if one or both of them solves the issue.
Q #3) How do I fix the missing NVIDIA Control Panel?
Answer: If you can’t find NVIDIA Control Panel in the context menu or in the notification tray. Go to Control Panel and then to NVIDIA Control Panel. Click on it and go to the Desktop tab. Select Add Desktop Context menu and Show Notification Tray Icon. You will see it in your context menu and notification tray.
Q #4) Why can’t I install NVIDIA Control Panel?
Answer: There could be a few reasons. Your system might not be compatible with NVIDIA Control Panel. Or, your antivirus might prevent the installation of the program. One another reason could be that you installed the program incorrectly and the residue from that installation is interfering with the installation.
Q #5) How do I disable NVIDIA Control Panel?
Answer: Press Windows+R, type ‘services.msc’, and click OK. Right-click on NVIDIA Display Container LS and select Properties. In the Startup Type select Disabled. Click OK and close the window.
One of these methods will help you if you can’t open NVIDIA Control Panel. If nothing is working or you cannot install the program, check if your system fulfills all the requirements necessary for its installation and proper functioning. If everything is okay, you shouldn’t be facing this issue anymore.