Explore the tried and tested methods to Factory Reset Windows 10 on your PC in this tutorial:
Everyone has heard of Windows, it is a group of software that together constitute a GUI (Graphical User Interface). The operating system manages and looks after the smooth functioning of all files and software on your PC.
So, along with operating system usage, one has to take care that the system works smoothly and doesn’t face any glitches.
Factory resetting the OS not only helps to clean up all the bugs and glitches in the OS but also improves the overall health of your system.
In this article, we will discuss why we should reset OS, its advantages, precautions, and the methods that we can use to reset the Windows 10 on your system. Also, we will discuss a few FAQs related to the topic.
What You Will Learn:
- Why Factory Reset A Computer
- How To Factory Reset Windows 10
Why Factory Reset A Computer
There can be multiple reasons for which you can factory reset the Windows and it could be beneficial for your system:
- The device might be showing some errors like the freezing screen, the sudden disappearance of files, and the appearance of sudden dialog boxes. This sign indicates that there is an urgent need to reset your OS.
- When you are selling your device and switching to another machine, it’s safe to clear all your data from the system.
- When there are the latest updates available and you want to set up your system afresh. Factory resetting the Windows clean up all the bugs and glitches in the earlier Windows versions.
Advantages Of Formatting Windows 10
There are many benefits and advantages of resetting the OS on your system. Some of these advantages are mentioned below:
- It will help you regain your regular system’s normal functioning, thereby fixing the system’s glitches and errors.
- It clears up unwanted trash and junk files.
- It makes your device new-like again and gets your system calibrated with the latest versions of Windows.
- It will make the functioning of the system smooth and efficient.
- It will clean up all the problems like screen freezing and system lagging.
Important Precautions To Take
Following are the few points that one should take care of while resetting Windows 10 on your system:
- Make sure that you have made a backup of the critical data from the system.
- Deactivate or take a record of all the credentials of the software you have purchased.
- Erase all the data from the hard drive after backup.
- Ensure that the copy of Windows you have, should not be corrupted.
- When you start the system afresh, do not rush in all software and drivers. Instead, load them efficiently.
How To Factory Reset Windows 10
Method 1: Using Built-in Methods
Here is a hands-on video:
In the below steps, we will discuss the procedure, which will help you reset the Windows 10 to factory setting using the factory reset option available in Settings of Windows 10.
#1) Click on the “Start” button.
#2) Search for Windows Settings. It will open a dialog box as shown in the image below.
#3) Scroll down to the bottom of the screen. Click on the “Update and Security” option.
#4) Look for the “Recovery” option on the left side tab as shown in the image below.
#5) Click on the ‘’Recovery’’ option and a screen will appear as below. Now, click on “Get started”.
#6) A screen will appear as shown in the image below. Click on ‘’Keep my files’’.
#7) A ‘’Reset’’ button will appear next asking “Ready to reset this PC”. Click on it.
#8) The resetting process of the system to factory settings will begin as shown in the image below.
#9) The Window will start reinstallation.
#10) Now the system will restart and Window will reinstall as shown in the image below.
#11) After a couple of minutes, Windows will be reinstalled and you will get the welcome message as below.
Thus your Window 10 has been successfully installed with factory settings.
Method 2: Reset Window 10 With Fresh Start Option
Here is a hands-on video:
In the below steps, we will discuss the procedure, which will help you restore the factory settings without rebooting the system. In this case, the system will follow the removal of apps procedure to restore factory settings.
#1) Click on the ‘’Start’’ button.
#2) Search for ‘’Windows Defender Security Center’’ as shown in the image below.
#3) A window will open as shown below. Now click on the side menu.
#4) Chose the ‘’Device Performance & health’’ option from the drop-down list.
#5) Click on the “Additional info” button available for the “Fresh start” option.
#6) This will lead you to the “Fresh Start” dialog box, as shown in the image below.
#7) Click on the “Get started” button, a dialog box will prompt asking for permission as shown in the image below. Click on “Yes”.
#8) The “Fresh start” dialog box will appear. Click on “Next”.
#9) An info tab will be prompted, which will provide the list of apps removed.
#10) A dialog box will appear that will inform you about all the processes that will occur as shown in the image below.
#11) A process box will appear as shown below.
#12) Desktop screen will open and your system will be set to factory settings as shown in the image below.
Method 3: Factory Reset Windows 10 From Boot Using Advanced Methods
Here is a hands-on video:
By following the below-mentioned steps, you could reset your PC to the factory settings without having a prior image of the Windows in your PC.
#1) Click on the Settings-> Update & Security->Recovery.
#2) A dialog box will open as shown in the image below. Click on the “Restart now” option.
#3) This will reboot your PC and will take you to Start up options as shown in the image below.
#4) Click on the “Troubleshoot” (Reset your PC) option.
#5) Your system will reboot and will be restored to the factory setting.
Suggested reading =>> Stop Code Critical Process Died Error: Solution
Frequently Asked Questions
Q #1) How do I restore Windows to factory settings without using Setting?
Answer: Follow these simple steps below:
- Click on the ‘’Start’’ button in Windows.
- Press shift and click on ‘’Restart’’.
- The system will guide you through the troubleshooting section.
- Click on ‘’Reset my PC’’.
- Click on ‘’Keep my files’’.
- The system will reboot itself, and factory settings are restored.
Q #2) How to factory reset Windows 10 with USB?
Answer: Follow the below steps to factory reset:
- Restart your system.
- Press ‘’F12’’ when the system restarts.
- Make sure the USB is plugged into the system.
- You will enter the “Boot” menu.
- Chose recovery from the USB section from the mentioned options.
Q #3) Do you lose the Window when your factory reset?
Answer: The factory reset only removes the files and software which were additionally added to the system. A factory reset clears these extra files, whereas the pre-installed software and utilities will be present in the system.
Q #4) How do I factory reset Windows 10 with buttons?
Answer: Press the ‘’F11’’ or ‘’F12’’ key when you restart the system. Select the option to reset to factory settings. The system will then boot itself with restored factory settings.
Q #5) Does factory reset delete everything?
Answer: A factory reset deletes all the files and software which are saved or installed in the system. These files include the files saved on the system and the software downloaded and installed other than pre-installed software and utilities.
Q #6) How to reformat Windows 10 without disk?
- Press ’’Windows+R’’.
- Type diskmgmt.msc and hit ‘’Enter’’.
- Right-click on the volume other than C
- Select “Format”.
- Click on the “confirm” button when the dialog box prompts.
- Type the volume label and uncheck the “Perform a quick format” checkbox.
- Click on ‘‘Ok’’ and wait for the file to be formatted.
Q #7) Does resetting make PC faster?
Answer: Resetting your system to the factory settings takes back your system to the beginning stage when installed and hence provides efficient working and faster processing.
Q #8) Can you factory reset the system from BIOS?
Answer: Yes, follow the steps below:
- Shut Down your system.
- When the system starts, press the function key that makes you enter in the BIOS setting.
- Use arrow keys and look for the start system to its default.
- Press ‘’Enter’’.
- Let system Reboot.
Q #9) Which function key helps to enter factory reset mode?
Answer: Generally, the F11 key is used in Windows to enter the factory reset mode, whereas we can also use F12 in some systems.
Q #10) What happens after a factory reset Windows 10?
Answer: When you factory reset Windows 10, the window resets itself to the default state while you open it the first time.
In the above article, we came around different methods to restore Windows to factory settings. The process will not only make your system fast but will also remove junk files from the system. We have mentioned different methods in the article along with step to step procedure to reset Windows 10.
Resetting Windows to factory settings is essential if you are either selling your system or passing it to somebody else. The process erases all the important data on the hard disk which minimizes the risk of data theft.
By following the methods mentioned in this article, you can successfully restore your system settings and make your system perform like a newly purchased one.