Here you will understand the causes and stepwise effective methods explained to Fix Windows 10 Update Stuck issue:
Windows get to know about various bugs and errors in the OS with the help of the feedback of its users. Therefore, they work on developing updates that can fix these errors.
But have you ever thought that what can be done if Windows Update is stuck?
In this article, we will discuss Windows 10 Update Stuck issue, will learn about the causes of this issue, and will also talk about the various methods to fix this issue.
Let us begin!!
What You Will Learn:
- Fix Windows 10 Update Stuck
- Fix Windows Update Stuck: Useful Methods
- Method 1: Restart System
- Method 2: Search About Error Code
- Method 3: Virus Scan
- Method 4: Run Microsoft’s Troubleshooter Program
- Method 5: Delete Windows Temporary Update Files
- Method 6: Launch Windows In Safe Mode
- Method 7: System Restore
- Method 8: Run a Full Windows Reset
- Method 9: Automatic Repair
- Method 10: Update BIOS
- Frequently Asked Questions
Fix Windows 10 Update Stuck
Windows Won’t Update: Causes
There are various reasons that can be responsible for Windows Update Stuck, and some of them are listed below:
- System Bugs: Sometimes any bug or error in the system does not allow the Windows to update and might hinder the process.
- Presence of Malware: Malware interrupts the normal working of the system, therefore, there are chances that the malware can be responsible for this issue.
- Interrupted Windows Update: While the Windows is updating and due to any reason the update is interrupted, then this might result in this issue.
How to Verify if the Update is Stuck
The user must verify that the updates are stuck, and they are not paused because of any of the possible reasons, like slow internet connections or permissions provided by the user.
So follow the steps mentioned below to open the Windows Update screen and verify if the updates are stuck:
- Click on the Windows button and then click on “Settings“.
- A window will open as displayed in the image below, then click on “Update & Security“.
- The below window will open. By reading the status and notifications mentioned, the user can verify whether the updates are stuck or not.
Fix Windows Update Stuck: Useful Methods
There are numerous ways to fix Win 10 Update stuck issue. Following are the few methods to fix this issue:
Method 1: Restart System
If you have verified that the updates are stuck and you need to start implementing methods to fix it, then first try to restart the system and update Windows again.
Follow the steps mentioned below to restart the system:
- Click on the Windows button and then click on “Power” and click on “Restart“.
Method 2: Search About Error Code
When the update is stuck, the user is prompted with a dialog box that displays an error code. The error code will help you to understand the possible reason for updates being stuck. Therefore, search about the error code and look for efficient ways to fix the error.
Suggested Reading => Learn the Ways to Boot Windows 10 in Safe Mode
Method 3: Virus Scan
Malware is one of the major reasons responsible for disrupting the working of the system and harming the system’s operations. So, if your system displays Windows 10 Upgrade stuck error, then you must make a thorough virus scan of the system and remove any potential threats.
Method 4: Run Microsoft’s Troubleshooter Program
Windows provide its users with a troubleshooter, which you to run this feature and locate the errors related to the mentioned troubleshooter and provide effective solutions for the same.
You can run the Microsoft troubleshooter program by following the steps listed below:
- Click on the Windows button and then click on “Settings” as presented in the image below.
- A window will open. Now click on “Update & Security“.
- A window will open, click on “Troubleshoot” and then click on “Additional troubleshooters” as presented in the image below.
- Now, a window will open as displayed below. Click on “Windows Update“.
The troubleshooter returns with the problem, which is causing the Windows update stuck error, follow the recommended steps and fix this error.
Method 5: Delete Windows Temporary Update Files
Sometimes the updates are interrupted in between because of numerous possible reasons, and then Windows Update is stuck. So, by deleting Windows Update Temporary files and then restarting Windows Update, you can fix this issue. Follow the steps mentioned below to delete Windows Temporary Update files:
- Right-click on the Windows button and click on “Windows PowerShell (Admin)” as displayed in the image below.
- Type “net stop wuauserv” and press Enter. Then type “net stop bits” as displayed below.
- Now type “Remove –Item –path C:\Windows\SoftwareDistributon” and press Enter and press “Y” to confirm.
- Type “net start wuauserv” and press Enter and then type “net start bits”. Press Enter.
Method 6: Launch Windows In Safe Mode
The safe mode is a feature by Windows, which allows them to load Windows in memory with basic and essential programs only. Therefore, by launching Windows in safe mode, you can fix this issue.
Follow the steps listed below to launch Windows in safe mode:
- Press the “Windows+R” button from the keyboard and type “msconfig” on the search box, as displayed in the image below.
- The system configuration window will open and then click on the “Boot” option.
- Click on “Safe boot” and then click on “Apply” and then “OK”.
- Now “Restart” your Windows to start it in safe mode.
When the system restarts in safe mode, then it boots with the basic files needed and you can try to update the system in Safe Mode.
Method 7: System Restore
Windows provides its users with the feature called System Restore, which allows you to restore the system to previous system configurations from the system image saved on the system.
Suggested Reading =>> Windows 10 Critical Process Died Error
Method 8: Run a Full Windows Reset
Windows reset is a feature by Windows, which allows you to reset all the configurations in the system and restore them to the default mode.
By following the steps listed below, you can reset Windows and then update it:
- Open settings, click on “Update & security” as displayed in the image below.
- Click on “Recovery” and then from the list of options click on “Restart now” under the label titled Advanced startup.
- The system will restart. Now click on “Advanced Options” as displayed in the image below.
- Now, click on “Command Prompt“.
type the command listed below in Command Prompt:
“cd% windir% \ system32 \ config
You can also reset the PC from the Settings by following the steps listed below:
- Click on the “Windows” button and then click on “Settings” as displayed in the image below.
- A window will open as displayed in the image below and then click on “Update & Security“.
- A window will open as displayed in the image below. Now, click on “Recovery” and under the heading Reset this PC, click on “Get Started“.
Method 9: Automatic Repair
Windows offers its users a feature called Automatic Repair, which allows them to fix issues on the system and maintain the smooth working of the system.
By following the steps discussed below, you can initiate Automatic Repair:
Note: To restart your PC, click on Power> Restart while pressing the shift key.
- By following the steps above section, restart your system, and you will see the below screen. Now, click on “Troubleshoot“.
- Now, you will see another screen and then click on “Advanced Options“.
- Click on the “Startup Repair” option, as you can see in the image below.
After you will follow the above steps, your system will look for the repairs and fixes and will make the required changes. Also, your system will restart after the process is completed.
Method 10: Update BIOS
BIOS stands for Basic Input Output System, and it acts as one of the most important components which allow the system to work in an efficient way. You can update your BIOS to fix this error by visiting the manufacturer’s website and downloading the latest version of BIOS and installing it in your system.
Note: Updating BIOS is complex work, so only a person with knowledge of it should update BIOS. Else it could go sideways.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q #1) What do I do if my Windows 10 update is stuck?
Answer: Various measures that will allow fixing Windows 10 update is stuck error, needs to be taken. Some of them are listed below:
- Windows Update Troubleshooter
- Reset Windows
- System Restore
- Clear Windows Download Update cache
- Update BIOS
- Restart system
Q #2) How long should a Windows Update take?
Answer: The normal Windows Update may take 10 -20 minutes, and it might extend up to 30 minutes based on the network speed and system speed.
Q #3) Why is my computer stuck working on updates?
Answer: There are various reasons because of which computer might get stuck working on updates which may vary from system bug, malware and also the interrupted system updates.
Q #4) Can I turn off the PC while updating?
Answer: No, the updating process should not be interrupted while the system is being updated. For a precaution, you must connect the power cable to the system while updating it.
Q #5) Can I stop the Windows Update in progress?
Answer: Yes, the user can pause the Windows Updates install while they are being downloaded, but once the system restarts and updates start installing in the system, then the user cannot stop installation.
Q #6) Why is Windows Update taking so long?
Answer: There are various reasons which can be responsible for lengthy Windows Update.
- The large size of the update
- Slow Internet
- Slow system working
Q #7) How do I clear the Windows Update Download cache?
Answer: The user can clear the Windows Update Download cache by the steps mentioned below:
- Click on This PC and enter an address in the address bar as mentioned “C:\Windows\SoftwareDistributon” and delete all the files in the folder.
The Windows Update allows users to enjoy the advanced changes and developments in features, and it also allows you to get rid of previous errors or bugs present in the system.
In this article, we discussed the issue related to the Windows Update, which is known as Windows 10 Upgrade Stuck, and we also learned various ways to fix this error.