Read this review to explore different effective methods to understand how to Record Phone Calls on iPhone:
In a majority of states across the United States, the law mandates it to get consent from a single or all parties to the conversation to legally record a phone call. It is because of specific laws in the US and Canada that Apple doesn’t provide its users with a built-in call recording feature in the devices they create and sell.
You can have plenty of legitimate reasons to want to record a phone call. You may want to record a conversation for both personal and business reasons. Regardless, it is somewhat of a bummer that Apple doesn’t bequeath its users with such an important function.
However, that doesn’t mean you don’t have options by which you can easily record a phone call on iPhone devices. In fact, in this article, we will discuss 4 of the simplest ways, with the help of which you will learn how to record iPhone calls.
What You Will Learn:
Methods to Record Phone Calls on iPhone
Before we acquaint you with the various methods, however, remember to always seek consent from the person at the other end of the call before you record the conversation. Severe legal consequences await those who fail to do so.
So without much further ado, let’s learn how to record a phone call on iPhone using the below 4 methods.
#1) Using Third-Party Applications
Perhaps not the simplest, but definitely the most convenient way to record iPhone calls would be to use third-party applications. The Apple store is brimming with applications, both free and paid, that will record phone calls on iPhone in crystal clear audio quality. There are several applications at your disposal to choose from.
We believe the below 4 to be the best applications to help you record calls.
TapeACall is often lauded by users as one of the best audio recorders on the iPhone and they aren’t wrong. The app comes with a robust in-built audio recorder that can easily record conversations and conference calls as well. You can record as many calls as you like and save them on your iPhone device. You can also share files via email, AirDrop, etc.
Compatibility: iOS 11.02 or more.
Rev is another popular iPhone call recorder that can help you record calls, regardless of their call length or duration. You only need one click to start recording once you have the app installed on your iPhone. The recordings are saved automatically on the device itself. The quality of the voice recordings and playback is also pretty impressive.
Compatibility: iOS 10.0 or more
3) Call Recorder Lite
Call Recorder Lite is exactly what you think it is, a simple phone recording application. With the help of this application, you can record, save and assess both incoming as well as outgoing calls. We really like the playback option you get with this application as you basically get full control over the recorded clips.
Compatibility: iOS 10.0 or more
4) Applavia Call Recorder for iPhone
If you want to record calls in high quality with just the help of a single tap, then this application is for you. You get the ability to record an unlimited number of incoming and outgoing calls via this application. Plus, it features cloud storage capacity, thus saving recorded files automatically online.
Compatibility: iOS 11.0 or later
Visit Applavia Call Recorder for iPhone
#2) Without App for Free
Yes! It is entirely possible to record calls on an iPhone without the need to install any of the above applications. Let us introduce you to probably one of the simplest ways to do so. You’ll, of course, need a separate device with a microphone on it to record audio. It can be anything from an iPhone to a portable recording device.
To record a call on iPhone without an application, do the following:
- Call your contact. Make sure you are on the speaker. Also, remember to notify the person at the other end of the call that you will record the conversation.
- You can start recording once you have consent.
- You must place the phone near the microphone of the recording device to capture the audio as clearly as possible. We recommend you stay as physically close to the recording device as possible to have your audio recorded clearly.
- End the call and save the recording.
Make sure you are in a quiet environment and capable of using your iPhone’s speaker. If you are using a PC or Mac as the recording device, then we recommend using Audacity, the free editing and recording software to get the job done. If you are using another iPhone device to do the recording, then Apple’s free Voice Memo app will suffice.
#3) Using Google Voice
Google Voice is known for being a free VoIP service that is exclusively available in the US and Canada. The app provides you with a free phone number, and a voicemail inbox and also grants you the privilege of making both domestic and international calls. Not many know that the app also features the ability to record phone calls.
Thus, it can come in handy to record iPhone calls.
Record a call on an iPhone via Google Voice using the following steps:
- First, download and launch the free Google Voice App. Make sure you are signed in using your Google account.
- Proceed to tap ‘Search’. This will allow you to select a new phone number, which you can associate with your Google Voice account.
- Now you must confirm your number. To do so, continue hitting ‘Next’ until you are eventually asked to enter your phone number.
- Use the code you just received to verify your Google Voice account.
- Now open the Google Voice website via your Google account and click the gear icon present in the upper right corner of your screen. This will open the setting menu.
- In the setting menu, select the ‘Calls’ tab present on the left side of your screen.
- Scroll down and enable the ‘Incoming calls’ options by simply tapping on the widget attached to the option.
- Now, whenever you receive a call through your Google Voice account, you’ll be able to record the conversation by simply pressing the ‘4’ key on your iPhone.
Don’t worry about consent, as Google will automatically notify the caller that their conversation is being recorded. It will save the recording in your Google Voice inbox. That being said, there are no provisions to record outgoing calls via Google Voice yet. Maybe, things will change in the coming years.
#4) Using Voicemail
Well, you heard it right. It is possible to record phone calls on an iPhone using your voicemail. However, it is a kind of tricky and will largely depend on the cell phone service carrier you are using. As such, you will first have to determine whether your carrier allows you to download voicemails.
To check whether this is the case, launch the Phone application on your iPhone and click on the Voicemail tab that you will find in the bottom right corner of your screen. If you are greeted by a list of voicemail messages, then this is great news. You can download these messages and store them on your device for playback purposes in the future.
On the other hand, if you see an option that says ‘Call Voicemail’, then it is hard luck as you won’t be able to download voicemails. This also means you’ll have to call your voicemail each time you decide to playback a message, which is not convenient.
To download the voicemail messages, you can opt for the speakerphone method we discussed above. You can also use call merging and your voicemail to record calls, which will again largely depend on your phone carrier provider.
Steps to Record Phone Conversation on iPhone using Voicemails:
- Before you record, remember to seek consent to record the call. Once you have their permission, ask them to be on hold.
- Now, on your iPhone, tap the ‘Add Call’ option to initiate a three-way conversation.
- Proceed to call your phone number. You will have your own voicemail inbox.
- Tap ‘Merge Calls’ as soon as the voicemail greeting is finished to immediately begin the conference.
- End the call when the conversation concludes. Your conversation will be recorded as a message. You can access the recording from your voicemail inbox.
As you can see, it is quite simple to record iPhone calls, even though Apple doesn’t offer its users an in-built call recorder. Out of the above 4 options, we believe using a third-party application is a better method to tap and store iPhone record calls. However, the ultimate decision will depend on your own preference.
Suggested Reading =>> Popular Call Recorder Apps for Android and iPhone
We recommend trying them all to determine which method suits you the best. Also, remember to always seek consent when recording phone conversations. It is illegal to record an individual in the United States without their knowledge. Once you’ve taken care of the consent part, the rest of the procedure is as easy as a walk in the park.