Read This Informative Review And Comparison of Top Online HTML Editor & Tester Tools To Select the Best HTML Editor For Your Requirements:
The HTML Code Editor is an editor that helps in writing code. HTML files can be created using simple text editors like notepad.
But using HTML code editors will help you by assisting in code, adding ‘closing brackets’ for the tags, and highlighting & color-coding. Highlighting and color-coding will help while updating the file. HTML Code Editors will increase the typing speed.
WYSIWYG stands for What You See Is What You Get. With these editors, you can work on a webpage without having much knowledge of HTML coding. You can change the component in the result page and the editor will reflect it in the code or the editor will create the code for the same. These editors provide real-time results and drag and drop facility to update this result page.
Common features of HTML Code Editors are:
- Adding library for HTML entities.
- With the help of Site Explorer, you can view the files in a hierarchical pattern.
- Some editors have built-in FTP to upload the files faster.
- Most editors provide the split-screen view, which will help you to view the output of your code in the half screen and the actual code in the other half part of the screen. No need to switch the windows.
- Search and replace feature. This feature can be advanced according to the HTML code editor. The advanced feature will allow you to search for the specific word or keyword in a specific file or through the complete website.
- Another important feature is highlighting syntax errors.
Many online HTML code editors are available. These editors will skip the need for software installation and setting up the environment. Also, most of these editors provide the basic features for free. And for more advanced features you will have to pay some money but that is optional and depends on your needs.
What You Will Learn:
List Of Top HTML Editors / Testers
- JS Bin
- Adobe Dreamweaver
- CSSDesk HTML Editor
Comparison Of Best HTML Editors
|Can code in different versions of languages.||Cloud-based||Free|
|HTML to Text|
Testing on Mobile
The output on multiple devices
Teams: $12 per month per member.
|Windows||$49. Free trial available|
|Warnings for word count|
Color picker for Windows and Linux
|Free version available
|CKEditor||HTML & text editor||Collaboration|
Multiple browser support
|-||5 Users: Free
50 Users: $65
100 Users: $110
|No need for prefixes||Web-based||Free|
|CSSDesk HTML Editor ||HTML|
|Post creation to CSS Desk Gallery|
Create and Watch Codecasts
More features available in the paid version.
- It allows you to select different versions or types of language. For Example, in HTML panel you can select the doc-type from several options like HTML 5, XHTML 1.0 Strict, and HTML 4.01 Transitional etc.
- Easy to use.
- It doesn’t have advanced features like Codepen.
- It has interfering ads.
Tool cost/Plan details: Free
#2) JS Bin
- You can export your HTML code to a text file.
- It will show you real-time output for your code.
- It supports testing on mobile.
- It provides two more features like code casting and custom starting code.
- All the above features are for the free version. For the pro version, it provides more additional features like Dropbox Sync, Private bins, Vanity URLs, and Email support, etc.
- It supports keyboard shortcuts.
- You can hide the panel.
- It offers limited features with the free edition.
Tool cost/Plan details: Free version is available. And pro version starts from $130 yearly or $17 monthly.
#3) Adobe Dreamweaver
- Syntax Highlighting (version 5 and above).
- Code Hints.
- Code Coloring helps while updating the code.
- You can develop a website which can be fit to any screen size.
- You can view the output below your code, no need to switch the window.
- Mistakes highlighting.
- It cannot be used with Linux systems.
- It doesn’t provide the browser-based view.
Tool cost/Plan details: $20.99 per month
Website: Adobe Dreamweaver
Codepen is an online HTML code editor. It can be used for HTML, CSS, and Java Scripts. You can use Codepen with teams, for education, and writing.
- Codepen allows you to maintain privacy.
- It provides a feature of projects, which is like an IDE. It has an automatic pre-processing, file uploading, deploying the website and many other features.
- You can see the output of your code on multiple devices and computers.
- With the help of Embed Builder, you can build themes.
- Professor mode provides many features like sharing code and real-time output with students and group chat. Students can save that work to have a copy.
- If you need help with your code then the Codepen team provides help through Spectrum chat.
- You can drag and drop the file to upload. It is easy to use.
- It provides very few features with the free plan.
Tool cost/Plan details: It has plans for individuals and teams
For individuals it has the following plans:
- Free plan.
- Annual Starter: $8 per month.
- Annual Developer: $12 per month.
- Annual Super: $26 per month.
- For Teams: $12 per month per member.
It is an HTML editor for Windows operating system. It supports the creation of new HTML and CSS files. You can work on any existing website also.
- It can perform WYSIWYG editing.
- It has some existing themes and ready to use layout.
- It provides cross-browser compatibility.
- It provides tag reference and code completion.
- The split-screen preview feature allows you to see the output of your code below it.
- It has a built-in FTP loader.
- Other than HTML it supports CSS, PHP, and Markdown.
- Themes are customizable and responsive.
- It is neither a cloud-based tool nor it supports any other operating system than Windows.
Tool cost/Plan details: $49. Free trial is available.
KompoZer is a WYSIWYG editor for HTML. KompoZer is like the new version of Nvu. It has fixed many bugs and added new functionalities to Nvu. As it is based on Nvu, it uses Mozilla Composer codebase. It is an open-source tool.
- It has built-in FTP.
- It has Table management, Form management, and support for multiple websites.
- With table management feature you can create a table. You can resize the table and add rows to it.
- It provides templates.
- Easy to use.
- Shows real-time output.
- Its development is stopped currently.
Tool cost/Plan details: Free.
BlueGriffon is a web editor for Windows, Linux, and Mac. It can be used for HTML and CSS. Many functionalities are available through add-ons.
- It supports for HTML 5 (HTML& XML) even for audio, video and forms.
- It has two themes options, black, and light.
- It provides warnings on word counts.
- Eyedropper and Color picker for Windows and Linux.
- Robust Application.
- You have to buy a user manual. It is available with a basic license and not with the free version.
Tool cost/Plan details:
- The free version is available.
- The basic license starts at $87.
It is a text editor with WYSIWYG capability. It has HTML output formatting capabilities. It will allow you to write directly on web pages.
- Supports multiple browsers like Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Microsoft Edge, etc.
- Table Management features like resizing of column size.
- It supports keyboard shortcuts.
- HTML Output Formatting for HTML tags.
- Spelling check.
Tool cost/Plan details:
- Up to 5 users, it is Free.
- Up to 50 users, it starts at $65.
- Up to 100 users, it starts at $110 and so on. You can check prices from here.
Dabblet is an online HTML code editor. It is used more for CSS. To use Dabblet you have to sign in to GitHub or create an account on GitHub.
- There is no need to add prefixes to your code.
- It can process elements with style attributes.
- It can process every stylesheet in <link>.
- You can adjust your view settings.
- You can set the font size.
- Limited browser support. It can be used in IE9+, Opera10+, Chrome, and Safari 4+. This is for the desktop. For mobile browsers, it provides support for Safari, Android browser, Opera Mobile, and Chrome.
Tool cost/ Plan details: Free
#10) CSSDesk HTML Editor
- It provides support for real-time coding with many people.
- Supports creation, watching and Codecasts. Codecast is a recording of code typed in the editor. It can be the recording of code typed by others.
- You can post our creation on the CSS Desk gallery.
- It supports the sharing of test cases with a peer on forums and StackOverflow.
- It provides help for the test cases.
- You can easily share your work on Twitter and Facebook.
Tool cost/ Plan details: Signing up is free but for more advanced features you may have to contact them.
Website: CSSDesk HTML Editor
#12) HTML-Kit: This HTML code editor supports only Windows Operating System. For languages, it supports HTML, XHTML, and XML. Its trial version is available. You can buy it for a price starting at $49.
#13) Mobirise: Mobirise is a website builder. For the complete website building, it supports drag and drop facility. So with the help of this tool, you can build the website without coding. It is available for free.
#14) Google Web Designer: It supports HTML5. It can be used on Windows, Linux, and Mac OS. It is specifically used for creating HTML5 ads and HTML5 content.
Website: Google Web Designer
#15) Microsoft FrontPage: It is a WYSIWYG editor for Windows by Microsoft. It was replaced by two editors, Microsoft Expression Web and SharePoint Designer (this is for desktop) which were also replaced by SharePoint Designer which is web-based.
Website: Microsoft FrontPage
Other Online HTML Editors
|Online HTML Editor||It also has WYSIWYG editor. It provides many options like font size, color picking etc. It provides a document converter. Which supports any document (PDF, Excel etc.) to convert into HTML. You can easily add images, tables, headings etc. Undo option is also available. You can use it for free. If you want additional features then you can go with the paid version which is pro-HTMLG.
|Online WYSIWYG HTML Editor||It can convert any file into HTML. It is easy to use this editor. A free demo is available. But to use all the features, you have to subscribe at the price of approximately $10.|
|HTML Web Editor||It provides many features like syntax highlighting, adjusting font size. It also provides many options to compress the code. It supports multiple browsers. It doesn’t require any subscription.|
|Froala Online HTML Editor||It also has WYSIWYG editor. You will get real-time output here. It supports cross-browser and cross-platform. It can convert from Microsoft Word to HTML. It has a feature for Cleanup. It is available for free.|
|Online HTML Editor Templates||It provides free downloadable responsive templates. It is easy to use. Without coding, you can develop the HTML page.|
|Real-time HTML Editor||It is an online real-time HTML editor.|
|WYSIWYG Editor||It has a WYSIWYG editor. So you can see changes will get reflected immediately. It is available for free. There is also a website builder available. It also works in offline mode.
|Instant HTML Code Editor||It is an online HTML editor which will help you to see the real-time output. It provides tag wizard and many features for cleaning. It can be used for free.
JSFiddle is a cloud-based tool and available for free. Codepen is a commercial tool but offers good features for the price. Codepen and JSFiddle, both are popular among developers.
CoffeeCup is the HTML editor for Windows OS. If you don’t want to go with an online or cloud-based HTML code editor then CoffeeCup is the best option. BlueGriffon offers good features with the paid option. All other HTML code editors mentioned in this tutorial are in the top position.
You can choose any of these tools based on your requirements and the capabilities of the HTML code editor.