This tutorial reviews and compares top XML Editors to help you select the best XML file editor that suits your requirement:
Every application is created from a series of codes that run at the backend and ensures that they perform all the operations in the most efficient way. But have you ever wondered who manages the code files of these applications?
To answer the question, these code files are managed using code editors. Code editors are files that allow users to edit code and make changes to applications.
This article will discuss the best XML editors that help developers change the XML (Extensible Markup Language) files.
Let us begin!
What You Will Learn:
- XML File Editors – Review
- Functions of XML Viewers
- FAQ’s About Free XML Editors
- List of the BEST XML Editors
XML File Editors – Review
Functions of XML Viewers
Various coding editors make it easier for users to open and edit code files, and editors who are needed to edit XML files are called XML editors.
They have a series of features which are listed below:
- It allows users to indent code and manage sitemaps on the website.
- With sitemap management, the website becomes navigable and quickly listed by trackers.
- It allows users to enrich their content and increases the traffic to the website.
- It allows users to manage XML code and output it in a prestable manner.
Expert Advice: When you plan to buy an XML editor license, various factors must be kept in mind, including Code Intelligence, Interactive Interface, and CMS Management. These are some core features to be kept in mind, and you can choose other features as per your requirements.
FAQ’s About Free XML Editors
Q #1) What is the best IDE for XML?
Answer: Altova XMLSpy, Oxygen XML and Code Browser are some of the best IDE for XML.
Q #2) What is the best free XML editor?
Answer: Code Browser and Emacs are the best free XML editors.
Q #3) What is an exemplary XML viewer?
Answer: A good XML viewer is an application with features like Code intelligence, live preview, and CMS.
Q #4) Can you edit the XML file in Notepad?
Answer: Yes, you can edit a file in Notepad, but Notepad++ is comparatively better and faster for XML.
Q #5) Does Notepad support XML?
Answer: Yes, Notepad is an XML file editor.
List of the BEST XML Editors
Popular and best XML file editors list:
- Altova XMLSpy
- Oxygen XML
- Code Browser
- Liquid XML Studio IDE
- Stylus Studio
- Komodo IDE
- Online XML editor
- Adobe FrameMaker
Comparison of Some Top Opensource XML Editors
|Name||CMS Friendly||Pricing||Special feature||Rating|
|Altova XMLSpy||Yes||Free Trial|
Starting from $589
|XML & JSON graphical and text editors|
|Oxygen XML editor||Yes||Starting From $688||Complete XML bundle for Coding to publishing|
|Code Browser||No||Free||Makes code presentable and efficient|
|GNU Emacs||No||Free||The best interface for coding|
|Notepad++||No||Free||Light and fast|
|Liquid XML Studio IDE||Yes||Free trial|
XML Editor Edition $297
Developer Bundle : $753.92
#1) Altova XMLSpy
Best for Development and debugging of all XML and JSON technologies. Easy editing with graphical or text views.
Altova XMLSpy gives developers the tools they need to build the most sophisticated applications using XML and JSON technologies. Developers can choose between graphical and text-based editing views that are accessible to all skill levels.
In addition to XML and JSON editors, XMLSpy includes a graphical schema editor, code generation, file converters, debuggers, and profilers. Other supported technologies include XSLT, XPath, XQuery, XBRL, SOAP, and more.
- Unique graphical editing views for easy XML and JSON editing
- XML and XSD editing and generation
- JSON and JSON Schema editing and generation
- SmartFix validation with auto-correct suggestions
- XSLT editing, debugging, and profiling
- XSL Speed Optimizer
- XQuery editing, debugging, and profiling
- XPath builder/evaluator
- XQuery Update Facility editor
- 3-way XML diff/merge
- XBRL tools
- WSDL and SOAP editor
- Integration with all major relational databases
- Royalty-free code generation
- Visual Studio and Eclipse integration
- Integration with Altova tools for data integration, report generation, and more
- User-friendly, easy editing views
- Comprehensive validation, error correction, and debugging
- Over 100 features for advanced XML and JSON development
- Wide range of features to learn
Platform: Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10, Windows 11
Verdict: XMLSpy provides all the tools developers need to work with XML and JSON, from basic to the most advanced projects. It integrates with popular relational databases and multi-purpose IDEs, which offers flexibility. It’s a great choice for any developer working with XML and/or JSON, with tons of unique features that make the job easier.
- Free trial
- Professional From $569
- Enterprise From $999
#2) Oxygen XML
Best for a one-stop solution for all XML requirements.
Oxygen XML is a company that focuses on providing users with a series of tools with inbuilt features, which makes their work a lot easier. Users can easily manage the documentation and debugging in XML files. The best thing about choosing this tool is that both beginners and advanced developers can use it.
This is a stand-alone application with various embedded features to manage your work efficiently. This tool will enable you to implement Single Source Publishing, making it easier to manage CMS. It offers flexibility to work with both JSON and XML tools to manage your website easily.
The tool has a structured editing feature that allows users to watch the errors and debug them as soon as possible.
- Built-in features that make it easier for you to manage Databases and CMS most efficiently.
- Most interactive XML IDE allows users to execute their XML code.
- Create a customized toolbar as per your requirements.
- Set validation checks on large files with a single click.
- This tool is equipped with a grid editing mode to check your various files simultaneously.
- Has a configurable window mode which to set the mode of the window, which could be floating, hidden, or maximized.
- This tool is equipped with Easy XLST/XQuery transformation and file validation processing.
- Preview the transformations made in XHTML and XML.
- This tool uses advanced search to go through various files in the system and efficiently locate the required file.
- This tool is equipped with an XQuery debugger, which helps you to debug XML code remotely and quickly.
- Synced with relational databases, which helps you to move data directly to XML documents.
- Using this tool, users can easily search and edit queries in SQL, XML, or relational databases.
- This tool generates XLST Stylesheet documentation.
- Integrated with WebDAV for CMS.
- Remote editing of XML files is enabled.
- Lacks user-friendly UI.
Platform: Windows7, Windows 8, Windows 10, Windows servers, El Capitan 10.11, Sierra 10.12, High Sierra 10.13, Mojave 10.14, Cataline 10.15, and Linux 64 bit
Verdict: This is an excellent tool with complete packages that let you manage all your work in one place. This tool can be a perfect choice for your work, but it has a very interactive UI, so users might find it challenging to work long hours.
- $832 +1year SMP (Service Metadata publishing)
- $1155 + 1 year SMP
- $2497 +1year SMP
- $3468 + 1 year SMP
Website: Oxygen XML
#3) Code Browser
Best for the most interactive UI.
Code Browser is a hub that opens doors to code with the most advanced methods and manages your files most efficiently. This tool has a series of features for users to work with this tool with complete ease. You can create Macros to easily automate small tasks that have to be repeated all over again.
This tool also provides you with the flexibility to add scripting for users to create custom functions, making the work more accessible and more efficient. The syntax highlighting feature of this tool helps you fix the basic syntax of some coding languages.
- It is equipped with a multiple view feature to manage various files at once.
- This tool has a great search algorithm that allows you to search for required files in all files and projects and displays results with directory addresses.
- Place special comments in the code, making specific codes comprehendible.
- Advanced search sections to set up a filtered search and reach the required file quickly.
- Zoom in and zoom out windows, making it easier to code in various windows and font sizes.
- Add links and extensions to a particular code section, making it remotely available for debugging.
- This tool has elastic tabstops, which align texts in a structured manner, irrespective of their fonts.
- Various outlining methods make it easier to create a hierarchy and order of files.
- Hierarchy and order of files.
- Advanced Search.
- Lacks CMS and remote management.
Platform: Windows7, Windows 8, Windows 10, and Linux 64 bit.
Verdict: This tool has many features that make it easier for users to instantly automate various sections and manage multiple processes. Hence it is an excellent recommendation for being among the best XML editor-free services.
Website: Code Browser
Recommended Reading => Explore the List of TOP HTML Editors Online
Best for coding-end rather than publishing.
Emacs is a high-demand software that has made it easier for users to execute their XML codes efficiently. With this tool at your end, you can quickly check for various files and make sure that the code gets implemented easily. The in-built support for arbitrary size integers makes it easier to avoid compilation errors.
This tool manages its text shaping with HarfBuzz to reduce any possible chances or errors and issues with the efficiency of the code. This tool also provides native support for JSON Parsing, making it easier for users to manage their website operations. The tool has better support with Cairo drawings to provide help with graphics and images.
- This tool fixes the biggest known issue of variable dumping by using a portable dumping technique rather than displaying an unexpected error.
- Supports the advanced XDG conventions for integer files.
- Equipped with a complementary initialization file, making the work much more manageable.
- Built-in support for tab bar and tab line command execution.
- Complete control of the images and allows you to edit, resize and rotate photos as per your requirement.
- This tool uses the Emacs module, and now users can use this tool with a tree source or file branching available.
- Ensured that Emac remains compatible with the latest version of Unicode Standard.
- This tool also has a Z command feature that compresses all the files and ensures that the files cover a smaller section on a hard drive.
- Z feature for compressing files.
- Emacs module.
- Lacks in publishing features
Platform: Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10, Linux
Verdict: This tool is handy as it focuses efficiently on the coding section of XML files and ensures that users can implement their code in the best manner. The tool also has a series of code enhancement features and compatibility with native JSON, which makes it much more manageable.
Best for users looking for a light and fast code editor.
Notepad++ is a free application that provides users with an environment to code quickly. This tool has an interactive and straightforward UI, making it easier for users to spend long working hours on this application.
This tool is lighter than other tools and has a high execution time. This tool is an excellent choice if you do not want your system to slow down and want your code to run at the highest efficiency.
- Compatible with various coding files and makes it easier for users to code on a single platform for multiple languages.
- Available in multiple languages (Multilingual), making it useful for users.
- Provides an MS Windows working environment, which makes it comfortable for users to code in this environment.
- Uses the best editing component, Scintilla, which makes working faster and more efficient.
- Coded in C++, which turns out to be the most significant reason for its high-speed working.
- Has Win32 API to work efficiently.
- Reduces power consumption and believes in saving the environment.
- Small in size, and therefore, it does not take a more significant section of system memory.
- Considered having the highest execution time due to the smaller size of files and faster processing.
Platform: Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10, Linux, Mac.
Verdict: The tool has various features, among which low execution time is its most significant feature. So this tool can be a great pick as it is also a free XML editor.
#6) Liquid XML Studio IDE
Best for beginners as it has features like auto-complete, syntax highlight, etc.
Liquid XML Studio IDE is an application that focuses on providing users with the most helpful features, like XML Schema. This feature allows users to monitor their code easily. This tool has an effective user interface, making it easier for users to work on this application for long hours.
This tool also has features like split graphical and text view, making it easier for users to supervise file transformation. It also notifies users if any changes are made to the code.
- Allows users to visualize and edit their XML data in tabular and tree grids for better code presentation.
- Validates your code against XML schema and ensures your code’s top-notch quality.
- Splits your graphical ad text views for better code management.
- Uses syntax highlighting, allowing users to manage their code syntax most effectively.
- Allows you to work on a series of file operations, including drag, drop, copy, paste, and undo/redo operations.
- Equipped with a spell-checking feature to check for inline mistakes in real-time.
- Has an XML Sample Generator, allowing users to generate samples from the provided XML Schema.
- Keeps you notified of any changes to the file from an external editor.
- Converts XML files in their canonical forms, making it easier for users to compare files at the logical level.
- Equipped with enhanced document formatting, making it easier for users to manage document formatting.
- Auto-complete feature to complete the primary code section or provide suggestions.
- Syntax highlighting feature to highlight and fix any issues with code syntax.
Platform: Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10, Linux, Mac
Verdict: This tool has various features for code enhancement, like syntax highlight, autocomplete, XML Sample generator, ad spell check, and these features can be beneficial for coders.
- Free trial
- XML Editor Edition $297
- Developer Bundle (Editors, web services, project management) $753.92
Website: Liquid XML Studio IDE
#7) Stylus Studio
Best for XML support generator, making it easier for users to code with suggestions. This tool enhances their coding capabilities and the code.
A stylus is a tool that gets along its name very well and ensures that code is written in the most efficient and presentable manner. There are a series of features provided in this application for the same. This tool is equipped with multiple editing views, making it easier for users to view code quickly and efficiently.
Features like Spell Check and XML code support make it easier for users to write long lines of code and work for long hours. This tool also allows you to manage your code and XML code and tags in the best possible way.
- Equipped with XML Parsing and validation architecture, making it easier for users to work along with XML Schema.
- Has a DTD validator that runs your code against XML schema and ensures the efficiency of your code.
- The self-indenting feature allows users to easily indent their code and enhance the presentation of their code.
- This tool is canonicalized and converts your code into W3C canonical form, making it easier to understand and debug.
- In-built XML sample generator, making it easier for users to run through XML code and generate the most effective results.
- The folding code feature of this application allows users to code quickly.
- Equipped with a series of document wizards which allow users to extract data from various databases and files.
- The project window is integrated with source control systems and makes coding easier.
- Equipped with a Stylus studio and spell checker, allowing you to indent and check code quickly.
- This tool has an XML notepad to create a prototype of XML codes.
- This tool uses Document Object Modeler to work on the cross-platform interface and XML code.
Platform: Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10, Linux
Verdict: This tool is equipped with almost all the essential features for a coding platform, and these features make it easier to work for long hours. It does not have any reported issues, so it is a great choice overall.
- XML Enterprise Suite $695
- XML Professional Suite $450
- XML Home edition $99
Website: Stylus Studio
#8) Komodo IDE
Best for team-based and enterprise code development.
Komodo IDE code editor has one of the most interactive screens that help users customize and personalize the working environment as per their requirements. This tool has many features that focus on code intelligence and make work easier for developers.
The best thing about this tool is that it allows you to manage workflow management, making it easier to manage projects and services.
- Most enhanced code intelligence, including all the core features like syntax highlighting, spell check, and auto-code complete.
- Equipped with a series of testing features, making it easier for users to work and check code efficiency simultaneously.
- Integrated with various version enhancement tools like Git, making it easier for them to manage and enhance their version control.
- Has various add-ons for users to experience multiple embedded features in it.
- Has a series of features for a team of developers to work simultaneously on a project.
- Live preview feature, which lets you reflect your code on the output screen.
- Compatible with Windows, Mac, and Linux, making it easier for users to work on this platform.
Platform: Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10, Linux
Verdict: This tool is known for its code intelligence, which makes its name on this list. Overall this is a great tool but is a bit expensive, so you can choose it based on your budget.
- Team – $84/month (billed annually)
- Enterprise – Request Quote
Website: Komodo IDE
Suggested Reading => List of the BEST Online PDF Editor
Best for working on complex projects involving multiple languages.
Kate is an XML editor with numerous inbuilt features and add-on features that allow users to encrypt various features, making work more accessible. This tool has syntax highlight features that make it easier to work on complex projects, and its wide range of language compatibility makes it quite flexible and easily accessible.
- It has a Syntax Highlighting feature, making it easier for users to avoid syntax errors and work efficiently.
- Workflow management and an advanced file search algorithm for working on complex projects.
- There are various add-ons for users to work with advanced embedded features.
- It uses advanced Language Server Protocol, which is compatible with various coding languages.
- Compatible with a series of plugins, making it easier for users to integrate Windows with advanced features.
- Compatible and customizable window to work long hours.
- Simple yet interactive User Interface to provide a good user experience to the users.
Platform: Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10, Linux
Verdict: This tool has a series of features like add-ons and plugins, allowing you to integrate numerous features in this application and work efficiently.
#10) Online XML editor
Best for an online editor.
XmlGrid is an online XML code editor equipped with a series of features to code for longer day sections. This tool is different from other tools on the list because it is an online editor that saves offline editor space in your system. You can remotely use this tool from any application.
- Equipped with a Sitemap editor to edit their XML sitemaps and make their website navigable.
- Provided various developer tutorials on their website, making their work more straightforward.
- XML basics tutorials can come in handy for beginners to work with XML.
- Users can convert their XML code to text files to be shared easily.
- Runs your code along with XML Schema, making it easier to increase code efficiency.
- This tool comes in with online database integration, making it easier to access data.
Platform: It is an online editor
Verdict: This tool is an online editor and is suitable for small projects or one-time code runs, but they are ideal for complex projects.
Website: Online XML editor
#11) Adobe FrameMaker
Best for CMS.
Adobe is a renowned company that has provided its users with top-notch services in the graphical and image editing industry, but now it also helps you manage CMS. Users enrich their website with top-quality content and manage their publishing from a single source in multiple formats.
- Create intelligent content using XML.
- Suitable for a wide range of users, from beginners to experts.
- Most suitable for managing lengthy documents based on a documentation template.
- This tool allows migrating content from Word easily.
- Contact subject matter experts using online review capabilities.
- Manage your content with the best CMS.
- Publish from a single source in multiple formats.
- Manage your workflow faster and more efficiently.
Platform: Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10, Linux, and macOS
Verdict: This is a handy tool for enriching your website with the best quality content and managing your sitemaps efficiently.
Pricing: Request for quote
Website: Adobe FrameMaker
Other Notable Tools
EditiX has a series of features to run queries to the database and manage valid documentation of the code. This tool allows users to manage content most efficiently, and this tool provides users with the assistance that offers suggestions on code enhancement.
- Professional Edition: Starts at $99
- Student / Academic License: Starts at $39
XMLSpy has various features like text and graphical editing split, making it easier for users to focus on code and make changes to it. This tool also provides enhanced intelligence guidance to work and debug the code.
It also has an XML validator that runs your code against XML schema for efficient suggestions. So based on these features, it is the best XML Viewer.
- Free trial
- Professional From $569
- Enterprise From $999
XMLmind is a tool that provides users with the most exceptional features, like an inbuilt mailing list, and creates highly extensible documentation for code.
This tool also makes it easier to code, as it has an interactive interface with a simple UI that allows easy code implementation. This code editor is light and fast to edit XML, so it is excellent.
- 1-4 users- 390
- 5-9 users 340
- 10-19 users 300
- 20+ users 270
#15) XML Notepad
XML Notepad is one of the open-source XML editors that focuses on code development and provides an interface that resembles Notepad. This tool has the ability to read HTML files, .csv files and XML files.
This tool allows you to perform infinite file operations. This tool also lets users manage and make changes to XML stylesheets quickly and efficiently.
Website: XML Notepad
XML editors make it easier for users to change the sitemaps and XML files, which helps them develop and enrich the content for websites. These editors also provide flexibility for users to make changes to the code and fix any errors that they might face.
Therefore, in this article, we have discussed the best XML editors. Oxygen XML and Code Browser are the most recommended USMT XML editors.
- We spent a total of 27 hours researching and writing this article. And we did this so that you can get summarized and insightful information on the best XML editors for Windows.
- Total apps researched – 21
- Total apps shortlisted – 14