A complete list of the Best Data at Rest Protection Solutions with features. Review to learn more about Data at Rest encryption solutions in detail:
What is Data at Rest?
Data at Rest basically refers to the data that is stored on your device and is not in use. Your files stored in file servers, documents in hard drives, flash drives, etc., are all examples of Data at Rest.
Data at Rest may contain several crucial pieces of information about your business, which, when leaked, can cause big issues for your business. Even your personal documents need to be safeguarded from data breaches or other threats. Thus, proper steps must be taken in order to protect your important, sensitive data.
What You Will Learn:
- Data at Rest DLP – A Complete Review
- Frequently Asked Questions
- List of the Best Data at Rest Protection Solutions
- Comparing the Top Data at Rest Encryption Solutions
- #1) Endpoint Protector Data at Rest DLP (Recommended)
- #2) ManageEngine Endpoint DLP Plus
- #3) ManageEngine DataSecurity Plus
- #4) Digital Guardian
- #5) Forcepoint
- #6) Symantec DLP (Broadcom)
- #7) McAfee DLP
- #8) Thales Data-at-Rest Encryption
- #9) Microsoft BitLocker
- #10) AxCrypt
- #11) IBM Guardium
- #12) Apple FileVault
- #13) VeraCrypt
Data at Rest DLP – A Complete Review
There are several methods of protecting Data at Rest, which are stated below:
- Encryption of the files
- Protecting through passwords and PINs
- Controlling access permissions
- Continuous monitoring of the activities of each user, real-time scanning, reporting, and alerting tools
- Other security measures, such as two-factor authentication and more.
If you want to secure your data at rest from various threats, you must adopt the above-said methods. Several software, offers these tools which, when deployed on your device, protect it from internal as well as external threats.
Data encryption refers to the method of encoding a piece of information so that, if a user wants to access that particular file containing the information, he can only view or edit the file if he knows the decoding or decryption key.
In this article, we will discuss the top Best Data at Rest encryption solutions in detail, so that you can choose a security software for your personal or business use.
Market Trends: According to a report by Fortune Business Insights, the global data privacy software market had an estimated value of $1.68 Billion in the year 2021, which is expected to grow at a Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR) of 40.8% during the period from 2021 to 2029 and reach an estimated worth of $25.85 Billion by 2029.
By industry, BFSI (Banking, Financial Services, and Insurance) sector contributes to having the largest market share, followed by IT and Telecommunication, Government sectors, and more.
Expert Advice: All the software available for the security of the data at Rest are helpful in some way. When you look for the best software for your device, keep in mind the following top features:
- Real-time scanning and alerting of threats or inappropriate user behavior
- If automatic encryption is done for each file you store, it would be very nice.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q #1) What is data at rest vs. data in motion?
Answer: If a piece of data is being shared or is in transit from one device to another, or from one location to another. It is referred to as data in motion.
When this data reaches its final destination where it stays, or, in other words, when finally the data is stored, for the purpose of keeping records or other reasons, then this data is called data at rest.
Q #2) Is data at rest encrypted?
Answer: If you want the data at rest to be encrypted, you must opt for software that offers you tools for automatic or manual encryption of your files. Otherwise, you may face data leakage or other threats to your personal data.
If you do not want encryption for your data, you may choose not to opt for it.
Q #3) How do we protect data at rest?
Answer: The data at rest can be protected with the help of security software. There are several data at rest protection software that offer you tools for real-time as well as scheduled scans, continuous monitoring of users’ activities, reporting and notification tools, encryption and deletion of files, even remotely, and much more.
The Best Data at Rest Protection Solutions are Endpoint Protector, Digital Guardian, Forcepoint, Symantec DLP (Broadcom), McAfee DLP, and Thales Data-at-Rest Encryption.
Q #4) What is meant by data at rest?
Answer: Data at rest refers to the data stored at a location. This data can be crucial information about an individual or a business, past records, etc. Businesses’ data at rest is usually sensitive data that needs to be safeguarded from data threats including leakages, frauds, etc.
Q #5) Is encryption of data at rest considered a best practice?
Answer: Yes, it is a widely accepted fact that the data at rest and data in motion can be protected in the best way through encryption.
List of the Best Data at Rest Protection Solutions
Best Data at Rest DLP list:
- Endpoint Protector Data at Rest DLP (Recommended)
- ManageEngine Endpoint DLP Plus
- ManageEngine DataSecurity Plus
- Digital Guardian
- Symantec DLP (Broadcom)
- McAfee DLP
- Thales Data-at-Rest Encryption
- Microsoft BitLocker
- IBM Guardium
- Apple FileVault
Comparing the Top Data at Rest Encryption Solutions
|Platform Name||Best for||Free Trial||Benefits|
|Endpoint Protector||Businesses of all sizes||Available for 30 days||• Supports Mac, Windows and Linux devices
• Scheduled scanning feature
• Lets you take up the remediation tasks, remotely
|ManageEngine Endpoint DLP Plus||Businesses of all sizes||30 days||• Centralized managed,
• Control data access and transmission through easily configured policies,
• Remediate false positives.
|ManageEngine DataSecurity Plus||Small to large businesses||30 days||• Data leak prevention,
• Fast deployment,
• Easy configuration.
|Digital Guardian||Enterprise scale businesses||Not available||• It's easy to use.
• Continuous risk management, user activity monitoring
|Forcepoint||Businesses of all sizes||Not available||• Guaranteed 99.99% uptime
• Useful automations
• 24/7 customer support
|Symantec DLP (Broadcom)||Businesses of all sizes||Not available||• Real-time monitoring, scanning and detection tools
• Continuously monitors risky user behavior
• Real-time blocking and alerting tools
|McAfee DLP||Individuals, families, freelancers and small businesses.||Available for 30 days||• 24/7/365 customer support
• 30-day money back guarantee
• Easy to install and use
• A free trial
#1) Endpoint Protector Data at Rest DLP (Recommended)
Best for businesses of all sizes.
Endpoint Protector offers tools for safeguarding data at rest from hacking or other malicious activities. The platform was built with the aim of developing and delivering flexible, strong, and time-saving security solutions for your sensitive data at rest.
Endpoint is available as a cloud service or as a virtual appliance. We would recommend the software for businesses of all sizes. This cross-platform DLP is an industry-leading solution for protecting the sensitive data of your enterprise.
- Scan the data stored on Mac, Windows, and Linux devices to detect the location of any confidential information.
- Take appropriate actions, like encrypting and deleting the data at rest, remotely.
- Make flexible policies, such as whitelisting and blacklisting files, setting rules, and more.
- Can schedule scans.
How to use Endpoint Protector Data at Rest DLP:
In order to use the Enforced Encryption functionality of Endpoint Protector, the user first needs to go to the Device Control menu, then select the Global Rights option, and assign ‘Allow Access if the device is trusted device Level 1’ to USB Storage.
Now go to the Enforced Encryption bar and set a password.
Once the password is saved, then log in with your password. The EasyLock application will be installed on the USB. Now you have to copy your files to the encrypted container. If you go to the main dashboard and choose the Enforced encryption option, you can now manage the encrypted files from this central location.
- Common Criteria EAL2 Certification.
- Businesses opting for Endpoint Protector can become HIPAA, PCI-DSS, and GDPR compliant.
- 24/7 customer support.
- Free trial
- Customer support services are slow at times.
Verdict: The platform is highly recommended for organizations that collect and manage data like Credit Card Numbers (CCNs), Personally Identifiable Information (PII), Social Security Numbers (SSNs), and other employees’ records as well as business records and Intellectual Property (IP).
Philips, Samsung, eBay, and Suzuki are some of its clients, which in itself states how trusted the software is. The platform is easy to set up and the customer support is praiseworthy, thus making the platform a useful and popular one.
Price: Endpoint Protector offers a 30-day free trial. Contact us directly to get a tailored price quote.
Best for Businesses of all sizes.
ManageEngine Endpoint DLP Plus is a software that helps you leverage various effective data loss prevention strategies to secure sensitive data on managed endpoints. The software allows you to define data authorization rules as well as classify data on the basis of their priority to prevent data loss scenarios.
You get to define protocols for data access and transfer on a very granular level. You also get a number of predefined templates to categorize sensitive data. The software also allows you to monitor and control email attachments around the clock to prevent data leakage.
- Advanced-Data Discovery
- Secure Email Collaboration
- Cloud Upload Protection
- Effective remediation of false positives
- Robust data classification
How to Use ManageEngine Endpoint DLP Plus
Upon Installation, ManageEngine will detect and protect sensitive content based on the rules you’ve set. You’ll be able to set a new custom rule under the Data Classification section.
You’ll have the option to create rules based on Regex Patterns, Keyword Matching, Document Matching, and File Extensions.
Choose what you prefer and hit the ‘Save Button’. Once the rules are set, ManageEngine will get to work at protecting sensitive data on priority.
- Deploy easily configurable DLP policies
- Centralized management
- Highly scalable.
- Some people may find the documentation difficult to comprehend.
Verdict: ManageEngine Endpoint DLP Plus is a tool that’ll help you categorize data based on their sensitivity, define rules for their secure use and transmission, respond to threats immediately, and stop data leakage before it can occur.
Price: Contact for a quote. A free edition is also available.
Best for Small to large businesses.
Data Security Plus allows users to monitor, manage, and receive alerts on all types of accesses their files have experienced on the network. The software alerts you in real-time on information like who accessed your files, what device it was transferred to, whether there has been an attempt at unauthorized access, etc.
The software’s effective at detecting and preventing data leaks through email, USB devices, printers, etc. The software also allows you to monitor certain content based on particular context to detect vulnerable data in files. You can rely on the software to prioritize your response to threats of data leakage based on severity.
- Insider Threat Detection
- File copy protection
- Web content filtering
- Security incident response
How to use ManageEngine Data Security Plus
To use Data Security Plus, open the application and select Endpoint DLP from the drop down menu. You’ll find options to protect your data on email and from malicious USB devices.
Select ‘Email Client’ to make configurations that prevent data leakage via email. Alternatively, select ‘External Device Control’ to make configurations that prevent data leakage via USB, printer, etc.
- Risk assessment
- Data leak prevention
- Highly configurable
- Some users may find the tool expensive
Verdict: Data Security Plus helps you get complete visibility and better control over your sensitive files. You can use the software for threat protection and preventing data leakage.
Price: Contact for quote. A 30 day free trial is available.
#4) Digital Guardian
Best for enterprise-scale businesses.
Digital Guardian is an easy-to-use platform that offers you tools for tracking and blocking threats to your digital data. The software is available either as SaaS or managed service deployment.
Having offices in the US, UK, and Japan, and rendering its services across the globe, Digital Guardian is an award-winning solution for the security of your data at rest.
Solutions offered by the platform include data visibility, IP protection, insider threat protection, ransomware protection, user activity monitoring, and more.
- Analytics and reporting tools that help in detecting and responding to threats to your data, quickly and more efficiently.
- Gives you visibility of tools and features for blocking threats.
- Database Record Matching fingerprinting technology protects your data at rest and data in motion.
- Tools for creating and managing policies, alerts, and reports.
How to use the Digital Guardian:
When Digital Guardian is installed on your computer, it will work in the background, automatically, based on your policies. For example, when a user sends a file to anyone, he has to give a justification.
When a user tries to send an email with an attached confidential file to an external source, then his actions will be recorded and blocked. You can also monitor the users’ activities through a unified dashboard.
- Continuous risk management.
- Risk discovery tools allow you to find sensitive data, how it flows in your organization and how it is put at risk.
Verdict: We would highly recommend Digital Guardians for enterprise-scale businesses. The platform is an all-in-one solution for the data security of your company.
Top industries that can benefit from Digital Guardian are Business Services, Education, Energy, Financial Services, Insurance, Healthcare, Manufacturing, Retail, and Technology.
Price: Contact us directly to get a price quote.
Website: Digital Guardian
Best for businesses of all sizes.
Forcepoint is one of the best data-at-rest encryption solutions, which is simple, scalable, and powerful at the same time. IBM, Microsoft, CVS Pharmacy, Mass Mutual, Toyota, HCL, and Walmart are some of the clients of Forcepoint.
This cloud-native security platform offers you agentless as well as agent-based security to secure your sensitive data across managed as well as unmanaged devices.
- Everything, including your data, is stored securely on the cloud with an industry-leading CASB (Cloud Access Secure Broker).
- Consistent threat protection and data loss protection across cloud and private apps.
- Lets you enforce security, based on the level of risk.
- Decryption, inspection, and enforcement tools.
- Guaranteed 99.99% uptime.
- Useful automation.
- 24/7 customer support.
- Software can be a bit more intuitive.
Verdict: The platform is highly suitable for different industries including Government, Critical Infrastructure, Finance, Healthcare, and Energy.
Businesses of all sizes can benefit from Forcepoint. Cloud applications, including Slack, Office 365, Salesforce, and many more are protected by Forcepoint.
Price: Contact directly to get a price quote.
#6) Symantec DLP (Broadcom)
Best for businesses of all sizes.
Symantec DLP is a scalable data loss prevention tool founded in 1986. This is one of the leading Data at rest Protection solutions that helps you find and monitor sensitive data located in your system, monitors the movements of your data, prevents data leakage by monitoring risky user behavior, and helps in remediating incidents.
Real-time monitoring, scanning, alerting and remediation tools make the software a highly recommended one.
- Visibility tools that help you in locating and monitoring your sensitive data.
- Security tools to secure your confidential data from accidental exposure or malicious breaches.
- Unified Policy Framework helps you in detecting and remediating on-premises and cloud-based incidents.
- You can achieve compliance with global data protection laws and regulatory requirements.
- Real-time monitoring, scanning, and detection tools.
- Continuously monitors risky user behavior.
- Real-time blocking and alerting tools.
- Integrations need to be improved.
Verdict: Symantec DLP is a trusted platform for data at rest encryption. The software is currently providing its services across the Americas, Europe, the Middle East, Africa, and Asia.
Alaska Airlines, Al Rajhi Bank, Adventist Health Systems, Acciona, and George Mason University are some of the clients of Symantec DLP (Broadcom), from different industrial sectors.
Price: Contact directly to get a price quote.
Website: Symantec DLP (Broadcom)
#7) McAfee DLP
Best for individuals, families, freelancers, and small businesses.
McAfee is a popular security application for Windows, macOS, Android, and iOS devices. It is an award-winning and trusted platform for the online protection of your data.
The real-time alerting, regular scanning, VPNs, antivirus, and many other useful features make the platform a highly useful one. Having its headquarters in Silicon Valley and its offices all across the globe, McAfee is a global, easy-to-use security software, trusted by millions of people.
- Real-time protection from viruses.
- Identity theft protection tools include preventing unauthorized access to your credit, bank, and utility accounts, regular scans, and more.
- A VPN that automatically turns on when you connect to a public Wi-Fi.
- Guarantees to remove 100% viruses from your device.
- Mobile applications for Android as well as iOS users.
- 24/7/365 customer support
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Easy to install and use
- Free trial
- Not suitable for large businesses.
Verdict: McAfee offers reasonable and flexible price plans suitable for individuals, families, freelancers, and small businesses. McAfee is an award-winning antivirus solution provider. They claim to block 42 million threats to their client’s data every single day.
Price: There is a 30 day free trial. Price plans offered by McAfee for individuals are as follows:
- Basic: $29.99 per license
- Plus: $39.99 for 5 licenses
- Premium: $49.99 for 5 licenses
- Advanced: $89.99 for 5 licenses
Family plans are as follows:
- Plus: $39.99 for 5 licenses
- Premium: $59.99 for 5 licenses
- Advanced: $99.99 for 5 licenses
Website: McAfee DLP
Further Reading =>> Explore top McAfee DLP Alternatives
#8) Thales Data-at-Rest Encryption
Best for mid to large-sized businesses.
Thales is an over 40-year-old data security platform. This is one of the best Data at rest Protection solutions that gives you centralized control to encrypt anything you want, whether your data is stored in a physical data center, a private or public cloud, or in a third-party storage application.
Thales Data-at-Rest Encryption solution helps you minimize risks and attain security agility and operational simplicity.
- Tools to discover where your sensitive data is located. Protect it through measures like encryption, tokenization, and setting access permissions
- Intelligent data protection tools that support GDPR, CCPA, PCI DSS, HIPAA, and other evolving regulatory and industry mandates.
- Data security management tools that allow you to set security policies, administer users, manage third-party keys, and more.
- Tools to guard against unauthorized copying of your critical information.
- A wide range of useful features.
- User-friendly platform.
- Becomes a bit slow at times.
Verdict: The solutions offered by Thales Data-at-Rest Encryption solution are suitable for different industries, including Automotive, Critical Infrastructure, Education, Federal Government, Financial Services, Government, Healthcare, and more.
We would highly recommend this software for mid to large-sized businesses. The range of features offered by Thales is commendable.
Price: Contact directly to get a price quote.
Website: Thales Data-at-Rest Encryption
#9) Microsoft BitLocker
Best for personal use and small businesses.
Microsoft BitLocker is a trusted security system for Windows operating systems. The platform allows encrypting the data stored on your Windows devices.
The software works by encrypting the used disk space only, excluding the parts that don’t have data. Plus, you can manage passwords and PINs, configure network unlock settings, and much more.
BitLocker encryption is compatible with devices running Windows 10 or 11 Pro, Enterprise, or Education.
- Encrypts entire hard drives, including systems and data drives.
- Transparently implements device-wide data encryption.
- XTS-AES 128-bit encryption method is used.
- Manage passwords and PINs.
- Allows you to configure network unlock settings, where data can be accessed only when the PC is connected to the corporate network, or else the user has to enter a security PIN.
- Easy to set up.
- Quick installation.
- Not for iOS or Mac operating systems.
Verdict: Microsoft BitLocker is available for free. The set of features offered is nice. The only limitation is that BitLocker does not run on Windows 10 Home Edition. If you want it, you must upgrade to the Pro Edition, which costs $100.
Website: Microsoft BitLocker
Best for individuals and small teams.
AxCrypt is a 20-year-old security platform serving 55 countries across the globe.
Built with a vision of delivering security, reliability, and simplicity to its users, AxCrypt offers secure sharing using public key cryptography. The free version offered for macOS devices allows one to view files only, and on Windows, encryption is allowed, but only with the AES-128 algorithm.
- Offers 128-bit and 256-bit encryption for your files.
- Automatic security to your files stored in the cloud.
- Supports English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Korean, Portuguese, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish, Russian, and Polish languages.
- Tools that allow users to open files with their own password.
Verdict: I found the platform powerful and simple at the same time. Having 20 Million+ downloads, AxCrypt is undoubtedly a highly popular encryption platform.
AxCrypt is affordable and is compatible with Windows, Mac, iOS, and Android devices. There is a free version too, but the free features are very limited. Another limitation is that mobile users can only decrypt files. Mobile encryption is not available.
Price: AxCrypt offers a 1 month free trial. A free version is also available. Paid plans are as follows:
- Premium: $3.75 per month
- Business: $9.92 per month
#11) IBM Guardium
Best for big enterprises.
IBM Guardium, formerly known as InfoSphere Guardium, is a powerful security platform that offers you real-time insights, visibility, and control features so that you can get maximum security for your devices.
With IBM Guardium, you get tools for automating compliance controls across heterogeneous environments, preventing data leaks, and ensuring the integrity of information.
- Automation tools for compliance auditing and reporting.
- Tools that discover the location of all sensitive data stored on your device.
- Monitor the behavior of the users, and encrypt data stored on-premises, on the cloud, and in containers.
- Assessment tools that check for the presence of any sort of vulnerabilities and risks.
- Allows you to react to threats in real-time.
Verdict: Real-time monitoring and alerting tools are praiseworthy. The platform is highly useful and suitable for large enterprises.
Some users can find the software a bit complicated at times, but the scalability and the advanced set of features are the main plus points of the platform.
Price: Contact us directly to get a customized price quote.
Website: IBM Guardium
#12) Apple FileVault
Best for personal use as well as small businesses.
FileVault is an encryption software built for Mac operating systems. The application performs XTS-AES-128 encryption with a 256-bit key.
The software runs on macOS X 10.3 and later. The automatic encryption in the background of each saved file, easy-to-use tools to reset passwords, two-factor authentication, and other beneficial features make this platform a highly recommended one.
- XTS-AES-128 bit encryption, to ensure any unauthorized access is prevented.
- Asks users to log in every time a startup occurs.
- Easy password resetting tools.
- Automatic encryption for each saved file.
- Allows you to delete data remotely.
Verdict: The software is easy to use. The free features are commendable. The platform even allows you to delete your personal data remotely within a matter of seconds.
The seamless working of the software in the background makes everything smooth but consumes a lot of the battery of your computer.
Price: A free version is available. Contact us directly to get a price quote for the paid plans.
Website: Apple FileVault
Best for personal use as well as for small teams.
VeraCrypt is an open-source security platform that is compatible with Windows, Mac OSX, and Linux operating systems.
The application supports various encryption algorithms, including AES, Camellia, Kuznyechik, Serpent, Twofish, and the Cascades of Ciphers. The set of features offered, including real-time encryption, reporting, and many more, are highly commendable.
- Uses strong iterations for security.
- Real-time, automatic encryption.
- Parallelization and pipelining features enable quick reading and writing of data.
- Hide encryption until the file is decrypted.
Verdict: VeraCrypt is a mobile-friendly, powerful encryption tool and is available for free. I would highly recommend this software to individuals and businesses.
Windows RT, Windows 2003 IA-64, Windows 2008 IA-64, Windows XP IA-64, and the Embedded/Tablet versions of Windows are not supported by VeraCrypt.
We did in-depth research on the top Best Data at rest Protection solutions. As per our study, the top 3 best Data at rest encryption solutions in the industry are Endpoint Protector, Digital Guardian, and Forcepoint.
These software and many others offer you a number of powerful and beneficial tools that help in protecting your personal data from leakage or any other kind of threat.
The top features offered by Best Data at Rest Protection Solutions are real-time as well as scheduled scans, continuous monitoring of users’ activities, reporting and notification tools, encryption and deletion of files even remotely, and much more.
All of these features are essential if you have some crucial, digital data stored in your mobile or computer. You must take the proper steps to secure your data from threats. Not only businesses, but individuals should also opt for data security software for personal use.
- Time Taken to Research this Article: We spent 15 hours researching and writing this article so you can get a useful summarized list of tools with a comparison of each for your quick review.
- Total Data at Rest Protection Solutions Researched Online: 19
- Top Data at Rest Protection Solutions Shortlisted for Review: 11