Most Frequently used Document Management System:
With the ongoing process of Digitization, people wish to reduce their paper-based work and expect to have access to their important documents from anywhere and at any time.
Document Management Systems are the best solution to make this task a much easier one. PDF Readers are the best example of Document Management System through which you can access the PDF file offline and store it to view and even print and publish it anytime at any place.
Document Management Systems also is known as Content Management System and is widely considered as the component of Enterprise Content Management (ECM). It is related to Record Management, Workflows, Digital Asset Management etc.
In this tutorial, we will take an in-depth look at the most popular Document Management Systems which are used by a number of successful organizations to manage their paper-based documents in an efficient manner.
What You Will Learn:
- What is Document Management?
- Document Management Systems
- Most Popular Document Management Systems
- Get FREE Document Management System Quotes
- Recommended Reading
What is Document Management?
Document Management can be defined as the way which is used by the organizations to manage and track the electronic documents.
Guidelines for a better understanding of Document management:
- Simultaneous but separate editing of documents to avoid the conflict of overwriting.
- To roll back to the last accurate version of the document in case of any error.
- Version control to differentiate between two different versions.
- Reconstruction of documents.
Today, Document Management is available from a small stand-alone application to large-scale enterprise-wide configurations which incorporates standard document filling features.
Those features include:
- Storage Location
- Security and access control
- Auditing and Indexing
- Classification, Search and retrieval
- Integration with desktop application
Document Management Systems
Document Management Systems refers to managing and accessing the documents electronically.
Enterprise Content Management Systems manage and control digital documents created using Microsoft Office Suite and accounting software like CAD etc.
Electronic Document Management System should contain the components given below to be proven efficient:
- Import: To open new document into the system.
- Storage: To maintain system files and utilize storage.
- Identity: To retrieve documents with accuracy by assigning indexes.
- Export: To remove items from the system.
- Security: Password-protection on certain files for authorized users.
Most Popular Document Management Systems
Let's review some of the popular Document Management Systems that are used widely to reduce paper-based documentation and improve the document-based performance of an organization.
Get FREE Document Management System Quotes
- It is an Open source ECM that provides document management, collaboration, knowledge and web content management, record & image management, content repository, and workflow
- It supports Common Interface File System(CIFS) that enables document compatibility with Windows as well as Unix like Operating Systems.
- Alfresco comes with API support and works as a back-end to store and retrieve the contents.
- Easy customization and version control are the best features of Alfresco but are quite complex to use
Official Link: Alfresco
- LogicalDOC is an open source Java-based system and can be accessible by any web browser
- This system can be accessed on your own network and it allows to create and manage any number of documents.
- Helps to improve productivity and collaboration of document management system.
- Avails quick access and easy retrieval of contents.
- It uses Java Frameworks like Hibernate, Lucene, and Spring to provide highly flexible Document Management solution.
- Comes with a set of well-defined API to integrate with third-party applications.
Official Link: LogicalDOC
#3) Feng Office
- Feng Office is an open source DMS with a web-based collaboration platform.
- Some good features of Feng Office include time tracking, Gantt Chart, task management and knowledge management.
- It is user-friendly and allows you to tag items.
- You can even track and mail the content to multiple users at the same time.
- The only drawback is that it makes some of its features paid-only with every update.
Official Link: Feng Office
- Nuxeo is an open source system that manages the flow of contents through the business cycle.
- The proven system to reduces time consumption required for content search and retrieval.
- Provides a number of ways to capture the contents including image scanning.
- Audit logging is one of the good features that you can use to track the content and is an easier way too.
- Serves a rich set of APIs, robust platform, easy customization, and maintenance of projects.
- But it is quite tricky for beginners and some instance customization may become complex as well.
Official Link: Nuxeo
- An open source document management system that allows to track, share and secure the content.
- Possess features like Metadata, Workflow, Version Controlled Document Repository and WebDAV support.
- You can retrieve right content at the right time.
- Quick-play feature enables the user to create and manage cadences of content.
Official Link: KnowledgeTree
#6) Seed DMS
- Seed DMS is a user-friendly and an open source Document Management System.
- This DMS is particularly based on PHP, MySQL, and sqlite3.
- Served as a fully developed enterprise-ready platform for tracing, accessing, storing and sharing documents.
- It can be considered as the next version of LetoDMS and is fully compatible with it.
- Allows editing documents available in HTML format.
- You can prepare an online presentation and it enables Real-time collaboration.
Official Link: Seed DMS
- Casebox is an extensible tool to extend content, project and human resource management.
- It is designed to support Task Management, Monitoring, Full-Text Search, Data Legacy etc.
- Also, Casebox comes with an excellent version control mechanism and serves conditional logic to support record management.
- Casebox helps you to store and lock multiple files at a single place with user control on it.
- Casebox also provides secure hosting with the help of SSL encryption on an encrypted server.
- The Virtual Private Network(VPN) can keep your communication secure.
Official Link: Casebox
#8) MasterControl Documents
- MasterControl Inc. is a commercial cloud-based one which enables faster delivery of product by reducing the overall cost and time consumption required for managing documents and contents.
- Increases the efficiency of the product and securely manages the company’s information
- This system provides features like document control, audit management, quality management and other regulatory processes.
- Apart from these, there are some other features served by this tool such as Compliance Management, Collaboration, Access Control, Print Management, Version Control, Document Delivery & Indexing, Collaboration and Full-Text Search.
Official Link: MasterControl
- M-Files helps to manage your information securely with its Check-out feature.
- This feature keeps a track of your documents with every small and big change.
- It is a useful, easy-to-implement system and robust Document Management System.
- It is available for Windows and Mac as well, also compatible with Android and iOS devices.
- M-files can be easily integrated with the other applications and avoids duplication.
Official Link: M-Files
- Worldox is a commercial and comprehensive system that manages documents and emails.
- Worldox comes with Indexing features named as Archiving and Retention which makes the data available instantly whenever required.
- Can be integrated with SharePoint and deployed with Windows, Android, Mac, iOS, and Cloud.
- Document management features of Worldox includes Compliance Management, Access Control, Document Conversion and Indexing, Email Management, Version Control and Full-Text Search.
Official Link: Worldox
- Dokmee is a cloud-based commercial Document Management System with efficiency and security of your documents.
- Dokmee provides multiple desktops as well as web configuration, user-friendly interface, capturing and editing tools.
- Dokmee supports excellent automation features with core-indexing and search functions.
- Enables set of document-imaging and tracking tools for better support.
Official Link: Dokmee
- Supports Centralized Control Mechanism to store your documents at a single location.
- Your digital documents can be organized quickly with logical expertise and be made available as both commercial and open source versions.
- Scanned documents can be converted in word-searchable-PDFs using Optical Character Recognition(OCR) feature.
- The web-based agile system saves your file to the cloud but does not automatically back up your data and no data can be restored.
- Compatible with all the operating systems and thereby allows full-text search and version control.
Official Link: Ademero
Apart from these, top 12 most Document Management System, we still have few more which can be added to the above list. I have given a brief introduction about them in the below section.
#13) eFileCabinet: This commercial tool can be integrated with all the Microsoft Office applications. It is available with several versions of hosted and server-side documents.
Its unique Workflow feature lets you to schedule your tasks efficiently.
Official link: eFileCabinet
#14) ContractZen: It helps to manage your important documents with all the details like dates and contents.
You can prepare internal and external audits using your documents on ContractZen.
Official link: ContractZen
#15) MaxxVault: MaxxVault provides Enterprise Document Management Systems (EDMS), Enterprise Information Management (EMI) and Cloud Document Management Solutions to manage your documents.
It helps to reduce the cost of productivity with full automation support.
Official link: MaxxVault
#16) DocsVault: DocsVault Document Management Systems come with best suitable features to manage and track your documents.
It involves Version Control, Document Security, Audit Trails & History, Electronic Document Workflows, Document Profiling and Tagging etc.
Official link: DocsVault
#17) eVault: eVault is a web-based Document Management System. It provides compliance management, Multiple level hierarchy management etc.
Like any other document management system eVault also provides Access Control, Document Indexing, Version Control etc.
Official link: eVault
#18) Catalyst: Catalyst has developed multiple commercial products such as Catalyst Insights based on XML, Insight Predict, Catalyst CR, Fast Track, and OnRamp.
It is developed with multiple language support service.
Official link: Catalyst
#19) Drupal: Drupal is an open source content management system which is well known for its features such as Content Authoring, Performance, and Security.
Modularity is the core principle of Drupal. This system is flexible, scalable and easy to use. You can create your own integrated digital framework with Drupal.
Official link: Drupal
#20) Virtual Office: Virtual Office has a Search feature to search any text, author, attributes etc.
It also provides good file management with secure storage. Matches with the business context and finds the information quickly at the right time.
Official link: Virtual Office
#21) bitfarm-Archiv: bitfarm-Archiv is an open source Document Management System and Enterprise Content Management for audit-proof archiving.
Some important features of it include Automatic Archiving of multiple document sources, Full-Text Search, Flexible Configuration, etc.
Official link: bitfarm-Archiv
That's it!! We are done with the most popular Document Management Systems.
You can choose one or more as per your requirements and see which will be best suitable for your organization. With the use of this software the overall productivity increases and it makes the tasks much easier and flexible too.
Document Management reduces the proportion of efforts and time spent on managing documents and contents.
Managing paperwork and tracking records is a tedious job for the one who handles it, but the softwares mentioned above are much helpful to make it flexible within a lesser time.
Document Management Systems capture and organize documents into electronic documents for accessing, managing and tracking it easily at any time as per your need. Capturing and indexing are the great features of DMS that are used to combine multiple and larger documents at once.
Hope you would have chosen one from the above list !!!