A comprehensive list of the top Data Loss Prevention Software for macOS in the market with top features, comparisons, and pricing. Select the best DLP solution for macOS for your business.
In this article, we have defined the meaning of Data Loss Prevention for macOS and its importance with market trends and some expert advice. Top DLP software for macOS was then reviewed in detail along with their comparison taking various factors as the basis of difference.
Data Loss Prevention DLP software for macOS refers to the platform that prevents data loss with seamless control of USB & peripheral ports across all macOS devices.
With the increase in the use of Apple devices, there is an increase in mac-targeted attacks. The risk may arise due to inappropriate or risky actions taken by the user. So to prevent these mishappenings, we have an effective solution called DLP solution for macOS.
There are several features inside Macs themselves that protect against certain types of data breaches, such as FileVault and Open Firmware passwords. But sometimes this falls short of preventing data loss at times when the users themselves are the perpetrators. So for now, DLP solutions can be used.
What You Will Learn:
- DLP Solutions for macOS – Review
- Frequently Asked Questions
- List of Best Data Loss Prevention for macOS
DLP Solutions for macOS – Review
Importance of DLP solutions for macOS:
- Seamless cross-platform integration is provided to enable the users to use the features in multi-OS environments without any compromise.
- Ensures compliance with regulatory frameworks like PCI DSS, HIPAA, GDPR, etc.
- Ensures the security of sensitive data with minimal impact on the performance of users’ Mac computers.
- Protects Intellectual Property by discovering, monitoring, and controlling them with the use of advanced technologies.
- Insider threat protection is provided to prevent data leakage by logging threats and real-time blocking.
- DLP software scans the content manually and automatically upon discovering any inappropriate action and encrypts and deletes sensitive data.
- Tracks sensitive data with predefined policies and can block or log its transfer, delete or encrypt it when found on the Macs of unauthorized users.
Market Trends: According to the research by Mordor Intelligence for the forecast period of 2020-2027, the global market for Data Loss Prevention software is expected to grow up to $5,058.98 million by 2027 with a CAGR of 22.29%. It was estimated at $ 1,497.81 million in 2021.
North America accounted for the largest market share. According to ITRC’s Data Breach Report 2021, it has faced 1,506 breaches in 2017 and this number has risen to 1,826 breaches in 2021.
Expert Advice: To select the best Data Loss Prevention Software for macOS for your organization or your personal use, consider certain factors like the ability to discover sensitive data on the network, data classification, fast-acting remediation, convenience, server count requirements, and so on.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q #1) Which is the best DLP solution?
Answer: The best DLP solutions for Mac are:
- Endpoint Protector Mac DLP
- Digital Guardian
- Microsoft DLP for MacOS
Q #2) Does Linux and Mac support DLP?
Answer: Yes, Linux and Mac support DLP. There are various software that provides data loss prevention features for both Linux as well as Mac platforms. Some of them are Endpoint Protector Mac DLP, Digital Guardian, Code42, and more.
Q #3) Is Data Loss Prevention important for Mac devices?
Answer: Yes, Data Loss Prevention is important for Mac devices as with the increase in the use of Apple devices, there is an increase in mac-targeted attacks.
Many risks can be mitigated with the help of DLP, like risks caused by insiders and working from home, Protecting PII and IP, monitoring portable storage devices, mitigating insider threats, and more.
Q #4) What is DLP Mac?
Answer: DLP Mac refers to the Data Loss Prevention solution for Mac devices. This DLP software helps in eliminating the data loss that can occur due to insider risk, ransomware attacks, and so on. The services provided by this software include compliance visualization tools, device control, etc.
Suggested Reading =>> Top Ransomware Protection Solutions
List of Best Data Loss Prevention for macOS
Popularly known DLP Solutions for macOS list:
- Endpoint Protector Mac DLP (Recommended)
- Digital Guardian
- Microsoft DLP for MacOS
Comparison of Top DLP Software for macOS
|Software||Best for||Deployment||Customer Support||Rating|
|Endpoint Protector Mac DLP||Apple-notarized kernel extensions and zero-day support.||Cloud, SaaS, Web-Based, Mac, Windows and Linux.||Phone Support, Email/Help Desk, Chat, Knowledge Base, FAQs/Forum and 24/7 (Live rep)||5/5|
|Safetica||Preconfigured data loss prevention policies.||On-premise, cloud-hosted||Email support, Help Desk, Knowledge base||4.5/5|
|Cyberhaven||Insider Risk Prevention and Data Loss Prevention||Cloud-based, SaaS.||Knowledge base, Contact form, Tutorials.||4.5/5|
|Digital Guardian||Protecting sensitive data on all endpoints.||Cloud, SaaS, Web-Based, On-premise, Mac, Windows and Linux.||24/7 support, FAQs, email whitepaper, case studies and up-to-date product documentation.||4.9/5|
|Code42||Getting faster detection, investigation and response to data loss caused by insider threats.||Windows, Linux, Android, iPhone/iPad, Mac, Web-based and Cloud Hosted||Email, Phone, Live Support and Tickets||4.7/5|
|Microsoft DLP||Flexible policy enforcement options.||Cloud, web-based, On-premise, SaaS, mobile, Mac, Windows.||Phone and tickets.||4.6/5|
|ESET||Only one vendor reached a 100% score from AV-TEST in the 2014 and 2015 self-protection tests.||Cloud, SaaS, Web-Based, On-premise, mobile, android, iPhone/iPad, Windows, Linux and Mac.||Email/Help Desk, phone Support, chat and training.||4.6/5|
#1) Endpoint Protector Mac DLP (Recommended)
Best for Apple-notarized kernel extensions and zero-day support.
Endpoint Protector Mac DLP is a user-friendly, web-based interface to protect data from security threats and challenges including Intellectual Property (IP) Protection, Source Code Protection, Remote Work, USB Blocker, and Personally Identifiable Information (PII) Protection and Insider Threat Protection with compliance and regulations. It serves industries like Consulting, Healthcare, Law, Pharmaceutical, Accounting, and so on.
It provides top-notch tools for data security including Device Control, Content-Aware Protection, eDiscovery, Enforced Encryption, zero-day support, KEXTless agent, and more. It has multiple deployment options including Virtual appliances (with formats VMX, PVA, OVF, etc), cloud services (AWS and GCP), and SaaS
How does it work:
Its device control module works simply by managing USB devices and protecting data in different environments. The devices may include USB Flash Drives, Sticks, Pen drives, External HDDs, External HDDs, Android devices, card readers, memory cards, and many more. It is a cross-platform module that works for macOS, Windows as well as Linux.
Here are certain steps that you can follow to control USB devices:
Step #1: Under the device control module, you can manage rights and settings at the global level for groups, users, or computers, as highlighted below.
Step #2: Now for managing rights of different devices like USB storage devices, internal CD or DVD RW, Internal card readers, etc as shown in the picture, we can deny access, allow access, or if we don’t want anyone to copy or transfer the data, we can select read-only access.
The rights can be managed at a global level, for groups, for users as well as for computers as required.
Step #3: We can also manage or control the outside hours and outside network settings at all levels: global, group, user, or computer to block the use of storage devices for outside working hours or in the outside corporate network.
- Provides seamless cross-platform integration with the same features.
- Compliant with industry regulations, including PCI DSS, HIPAA, GDPR, and CCPA.
- Features KEXTless agent with full support for future versions.
- Provides deployment flexibility with other platforms like Windows and Linus.
- Compatible with popular visualization tools and available in different formats like VMX, PVA, etc.
- Includes products like Device Control, Content Aware Protection, eDiscovery, and Enforced Encryption
Founded in: 2004
Suitable for: Small, medium, and large enterprises.
Deployment: Cloud, SaaS, Web-Based, Mac, Windows, and Linux.
Customer Support: Phone Support, Email/Help Desk, Chat, Knowledge Base, FAQs/Forum, and 24/7 (Live rep)
Clients: eBay, Allianz, AON, Samsung, Western Union, and more.
- Seamless cross-platform integration.
- PCI DSS, HIPAA, CCPA, and GDPR compliant.
- Instant support.
- Data tagging needs improvement.
Verdict: Endpoint Protector Mac DLP is trusted by famous brands like- eBay, Allianz, AON, Samsung, Western Union, and more. Endpoint Protector Mac DLP is the first platform to feature a KEXTless agent with full support for future macOS versions.
It is certified by ITSCC with the IT Security Certification Center of South Korea and with Common Criteria EAL2 Certification
It has been awarded various awards like – Global InfoSec Awards 2022 for the Next Gen Data Loss Prevention (DLP) Global InfoSec Award. Gold winner in the Data Leakage Prevention category at the 2020 Cybersecurity Excellence Awards and many more.
- A free 30-day trial is available.
- Contact for pricing.
Best for Preconfigured data loss prevention policies.
With Safetica, you get a robust data loss prevention software that’s effective in protecting sensitive information, preventing data leaks, and ensuring regulatory compliance.
The best part about Safetica is the fact that is comes with pre-configured data loss prevention policies. This saves your IT administrators a lot of time. You get the privileges needed to configure these policies as per your organization’s specific needs.
These policies can be used for a wide array of purposes that range from web content filtering to email protection. You can also use the software to protect endpoint and facilitate robust incident management/response.
How does it work:
- Access the Safetica management console
- Navigate to the ‘Device Control’ section
- Define rules to block, authorize, or restrict access to USBs and other peripheral devices in this section.
- Customize device permissions based on user roles or groups within organization
- Once policies are defined, save them to let Safetica’s agents deploy the policies on endpoints.
- Automatic and dynamic sensitive content detection with numerous predefined categories.
- Prevents data leaks via emails, removable devices, cloud storage, etc. using customizable policies.
- Monitor and control data usage on each individual device accessing your company environment.
- End-user notifications educate employees on proper use of sensitive company data.
- Assure compliance with regulatory frameworks like GDPR, HIPAA.
Founded in: 2007
Suitable for: Small businesses to midsize enterprises.
Deployment: Cloud-hosted, SaaS, on-premise
Clients: Doosan, McDonalds, Hyundai, New Line Cinema.
- Enhanced data protection
- User-friendly interface
- High scalability and flexibility
- Large organizations may need additional planning and resources to deploy and manage the tool efficiently.
Verdict: Flexible policy customization, a user-friendly interface, and robust regulatory compliance, make Safetica one of the most sought-after data loss prevention solutions out there. It is easy to deploy and also highly scalable.
Price: Contact the Safetica team to get a clear quote that perfectly adheres to your organizations specific requirements. You can request a personalized demo or a free trial with security audit.
Best for Insider Risk Prevention and Data Loss Prevention.
Cyberhaven is a powerful and comprehensive data risk detection and response solution. Perhaps it is best known for its rather innovative approach to prioritizing what data to protect. The solution is more geared towards identifying and preventing insider threats and account takeovers.
It leverages an advanced data tracing technology to assess billions of events related to each aspect of a data. After doing so, it identifies, analyses, and classifies data to protect sensitive data of all forms. Cyberhaven adheres to a single policy framework. It allows you to easily define DLP policies and adjust them whenever necessary.
How it Works:
- Deploy Cyberhaven across your cloud and devices
- The Cyberhaven graph will automatically draw lineage to every single piece of data identified. This lineage is continuously updated as new events occur.
- Users then have to define clear data security policies using Cyberhaven’s visual policy editor.
- You will be provided a workflow to identify and investigate incidents.
- Visual Policy Editor to define, edit, and enforce policies
- Continuous trace data movement, access, and usage
- Visualize flow of sensitive information via an intuitive dashboard
- Rapid and Efficient incident investigation and response
- Context and Content Based Data classification
Founded In: 2016
Suitable For: Mid-sized and enterprise customers
Deployment: Cloud-Based, SaaS
Customer Support: Knowledge base, Contact form, Tutorials.
Clients: Kirkland and Ellis, Motorola, Iron Mountain, Upstart, Survey Monkey.
- Customizable reporting
- SIEM Tool integrations
- Trace movement of sensitive data
- Customer support available on email.
Verdict: Cyberhaven stands out from other DLP solutions in the market due to its innovative approach to data detection and classification. It is very simple to define security policies using this platform and also excels by offering reports that are customizable.
Price: You’ll need to contact the Cyberhaven team for a custom quote.
#4) Digital Guardian
Best for protecting sensitive data on all endpoints.
Digital Guardian is an endpoint DLP software that reduces the risk of data loss at endpoints of different platforms like macOS, Linux, and Windows with its effective solutions like compliance, data visibility, insider threat protection, user activity monitoring, and many more.
It serves a variety of industries, including healthcare, retail, manufacturing, technology, and so on. This includes granular control of all data movements and works only when you need it. It has a built-in advanced data classification feature that identifies the most sensitive data to make it safe on a priority basis.
How does it work:
To protect your data from any threat or loss, you need to prioritize the threats in real-time and have knowledge of users’ activities whether they are normal or risky. This can all be done with the Digital Guardian DLP.
Digital Guardian can track and protect your structure as well as unstructured data in real-time. There are certain steps that you can follow to visualize and mitigate the risks right from your screen.
They are as follows:
Step #1: Check the threats and events that need to be fixed or mitigated as provided by the Digital Guardian Data Loss Prevention software.
Step #2: Analyze the alarm summary where you can have a look at threats or alerts placed in accordance with the severity. Digital Guardian, with its Kernel mode, tracks insider activity like print screen, cut, copy, paste, and more. From here, you can work on the most sensitive data on a priority basis.
Step #3: In case you find something anomalous, you can investigate the event and take the actions required by just right-clicking on it as shown below.
- Provides complete visibility and control over the data regardless of whether the user is in the corporate network or out of it.
- Enables instant access to the cloud platform to protect data.
- Option for both fully manual or fully automated processes.
- Has a built-in data classification feature to identify the most sensitive data.
- Helps in protecting Personal Information and Intellectual Property.
- Monitors user activity to mitigate suspicious user actions.
- Compliance with industry regulations like GDPR, ITAR, PCI/DSS, and HIPAA.
Founded in: 2003 as Verdasys
Suitable for: Organizations that have specific endpoint DLP needs.
Customer Support: 24/7 support, FAQs, email whitepaper, case studies, and up-to-date product documentation.
Deployment: Cloud, SaaS, Web-Based, On-premise, Mac, Windows, and Linux.
Clients: 1,352,385+ validated customers including The Fifth Avenue Theatre, Jabil Circuit, and more.
- Provides real-time endpoint monitoring insights.
- Compliance with regulations like GDPR, HIPAA, etc.
- Automatic encryption and threat remediation activities.
- Customer support needs improvement.
- Has compatibility issues.
Verdict: Digital Guardian is the only solution that unifies DLP and endpoint detection & response. It has been awarded many awards and recognitions including – SC Media 2020 Trust Award for Best DLP Solution, Rated Highest for Accurately Identifying PHI in Healthcare, Best Data Leakage Protection (DLP) Solution’ at SC Awards Europe 2019, and many more.
- A free trial is available.
- Contact for pricing.
Website: Digital Guardian
Best for getting faster detection, investigation, and response to data loss caused by insider threats.
Code42 is an insider threat detection software that manages insider data risks and helps in preventing data leaks and IP theft from the business network or endpoint. It detects and understands the risks or threats, investigates them, and takes required action.
It derives secure work habits for employees by providing Proactive, Situational real-time, and Responsive Insider Risk lessons. It is available in industries like manufacturing, business services, life sciences, software tech, and so on.
There are three ways in which it mitigates risk: pinpoint exposure, prioritize risk and inform the response. It includes advanced technologies like Comprehensive exfiltration detection, Unmatched browser detection, Queryable metadata index, Simple UI, powerful workflows, and so on.
- Integrates with SOAR, SIEM, HRIS, IAM, and PAM platforms.
- Dashboards are available that enable them to visualize the risk and identify the data exposure, training gaps, etc.
- Insydr risk indicators prioritize the risks according to contextual risk scoring.
- Make documents and reports on the investigation of malicious incidents for key stakeholders.
- Mitigates risk by pinpointing exposure, prioritizing risk, and taking responsibility.
- Has comprehensive exfiltration detection that monitors cloud, email, and business apps at the source.
Founded in: 2001
Suitable for: Small and medium-sized businesses.
Deployment: Windows, Linux, Android, iPhone/iPad, Mac, Web-based and Cloud Hosted
Customer Support: Email, Phone, Live Support, and Tickets
- No proxies or complex policies to manage.
- Open API with published documentation
- Good customer support.
- Upgrades on the web/console would be a great functionality to add.
Verdict: Trusted by famous organizations like Rakuten, Snowflake, Okta, ThermoFisher Scientific, CROWDTRIKE, and more. We recommend it for detecting insider threats and leakage features like pinpoint exposure, prioritizing risk, risk dashboards, exfiltration detectors, and more.
It has been awarded a Silver award for Best Insider Threat Solution by Info Security Products Guide 2020 and a Gold winner of Best Insider Threat Solution by Cybersecurity Excellence Award 2020.
- A 4-week trial is available.
- Contact for pricing.
Further Reading => Is Crowdsource Offering DLP – Best DLP Solutions
#6) Microsoft DLP for MacOS
Best for flexible policy enforcement options.
Microsoft DLP for MacOS helps in protecting sensitive information and reducing the risks associated with them, like leakage, loss, theft, or breach across applications and services. It provides flexible and effective policy enforcement options.
There are three modes to monitor activities – audit, block with override, and block. It provides seamless deployment, integrated insights, insider risk management, Microsoft Information Protection, and so on.
It is a part of Microsoft 365. It provides a compliance trial where you can try features like Insider Risk Management, Records Management, Advanced Audit, Advanced eDiscovery, Communication Compliance, Microsoft Information Protection, Data Loss Prevention, and Compliance Manager.
- Provide a unified solution that includes monitoring user actions, remediating policy violations, and educating users.
- An extensible solution for MIP is available to know, protect and prevent data loss.
- Ensures familiar user experience irrespective of where they applied DLP.
- Insider risk is identified and remedial measures are taken under the Insider Risk Management feature.
- Integrated insights into sensitive data are available through dashboards that provide comprehensive visibility.
- Automatic alerts are generated when any risky or inappropriate action is taken.
Released in: March 2022
Deployment: Cloud, Web-based, On-premise, SaaS, mobile, Mac, Windows.
Customer Support: Phone and tickets
- Auto-labeling feature is available.
- Automatic data classification.
- Dashboards are available to view insights.
- Technical support needs improvement.
Verdict: Microsoft DLP for MacOS comes under Microsoft 365 compliance center. It is recommended for its insider risk management features, extensible solutions for Microsoft Intellectual Property, and integrated data insight dashboard.
Pricing: Contact for pricing.
Website: Microsoft DLP for macOS
Further Reading => Explore the Best Data at Rest Protection Solutions
Best for only one vendor reached a 100% score from AV-TEST in the 2014 and 2015 self-protection tests.
ESET is a comprehensive Data Loss Prevention software that helps in safeguarding misdirected files, detecting attacks, encrypting data, managing resources, reporting, and activity blocking. It is used in homes to protect precious family pictures and data, and in companies to protect sensitive data from being leaked lost or stolen.
It is spread over 200 countries and territories. It provides a unique combined technology that includes LiveGrid, machine learning, and human expertise.
- It prevents the risk of data transfer or loss by applying security on the devices of employees under the BYOD module.
- Encrypt the stolen data so the thief can not read it.
- Report all file operations, including long-term or short-term fluctuations.
- Automatically transfer data from network computers to the server
- Protects against ransomware attacks and detects advanced persistent threats.
- Helps in preventing file-less attacks and provides URL filtering.
- Provides industry-leading antivirus for Mac software.
Founded in: 1987
Deployment: Cloud, SaaS, Web-Based, On-premise, Mobile, Android, iPhone/iPad, Windows, Linux, and Mac.
Suitable for: Small, medium, and large businesses.
Customer Support: Email/Help Desk, Phone Support, Chat, and Training.
- Industry-leading customer support.
- Most lightweight solution.
- Cover all data leak channels.
- Limited file analyzing options.
- The management console, tasks, installers, and detection needs improvement.
Verdict: It is trusted by famous brands like Canon, Toshiba, Honda, Allianz, Greenpeace, and more. It has been awarded ‘Best Security Product of the Year by Digital Citizen’, 100 VB100s awards, and has reached a 100% score AV-TEST in 2014 and 2015 self-protection tests.
- A free trial is available.
- Starting from $59.99 per year.
In the research, we evaluated and analyzed various factors related to the Data Loss Prevention Software for macOS like features, advantages, disadvantages, and so on. Each software covers different sets of features and ultimately serves the same purpose, which is to protect the data of users from getting lost, stolen, or leaked from their network.
Recommended Reading =>> Cynet Autonomous Security Platform
Various other services are also provided like classification of data, data visualization, insider risk management, ransomware attack protection, compliance with regulations (GDPR, CCPA, etc), encrypting the data, and so on.
Code42 is good at detecting and managing insider threats, ESET is good at preventing file-less attacks, Microsoft DLP for macOS is good at providing integrated insights, and so on.
By comparing and evaluating all tools, we concluded that Endpoint Protector Mac DLP and Digital Guardian are the best Data Loss Prevention Software for macOS among all.
Our Review Process:
- Time Taken to Research this Article: We spent 26 hours researching and writing this article so you can get a useful summarized list of tools with a comparison of each for your quick review.
- Total Data Loss Prevention Software for macOS Researched: 10
- Top Data Loss Prevention Software for macOS Shortlisted: 5