Are you looking for software to lock down USB ports on the system for all untrusted USB devices? Read this Best USB Blocker Software review for your answer:
When it comes to storing data digitally, USB devices have to be the most widely used of the bunch. Their lightweight and portable nature make them a convenient medium to store a variety of files, such as music, doc files, videos, pictures, etc. All you have to do is plug them into your desktop or laptop to access the content they hold.
Almost everyone trusts USB storage devices. However, one also cannot ignore the risks they carry.
A potentially harmful malware or virus could use these devices as a piggyback to eventually enter and infect the systems they are plugged into. It is extremely important to be vigilant of these risks when using a USB storage device.
Fortunately, there is an effective way to stop this from ever happening. All you need is good USB blocker software that can automatically lock down USB ports on a system to all untrusted USB devices.
What You Will Learn:
- USB Port Blocker Software – Review
- FAQ’s About USB Port & Data Lockdown
- List of Best USB Blocker Software
USB Port Blocker Software – Review
Some of the best software in the market that serves this function very well is what we’ll shed light on via this article.
Here you will find a list consisting of the best USB blocking tools after carefully assessing each one of them based on their functionality, usability, and price. These are hands-down some of the best tools you’ll find today to secure your system from harmful external devices.
Market Research: According to a report published by Next Move Strategy Consulting, the USB blocker market, which stood at $2.79 billion in 2019, is expected to expand further, eventually becoming worth $7.89 billion in 2030.
- Go for a tool with a more interactive user interface.
- Make sure the tool allows you to control all ports and connected removable devices.
- Go for tools that allow you to leverage stringent role-based access control policies.
- The reporting and auditing capabilities of the tool should be comprehensive. Make sure the software maintains records of all devices, computer systems, and users being managed.
- Compare one tool against the other and go for the one that best suits your requirements.
How to Block USB Ports Through Registry
Blocking a USB port through a registry can seem confusing. However, it is quite simple. All you have to do is follow the steps below:
- Click on Start.
- Now Click “Run”. Type “Run” in the search box if you can’t find it. Alternatively, you can press the ‘Window + R’ key to open the “Run” window.
- Type ‘regedit.exe’ and click ‘Ok’.
- This will open the Registry Editor. Here you’ll need to navigate to the following path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>SYSTEM > CurrentControlSet > Services > USBSTOR.
- Double-click on the “Start” option to open the “Value Data” box.
- In “Value Data” enter 4 and click on “Ok”.
- Close the registry and refresh or restart your desktop.
- All your USB Ports will now be blocked.
- Similarly, to open all USB ports, simply enter 3 in the “Value Data” box.
FAQ’s About USB Port & Data Lockdown
Q #1) Can a USB port be blocked?
Answer: Yes, USB ports on your desktop or laptop system can be blocked. It is usually done to refuse access to harmful removable storage devices that might infect your system or steal valuable data from it. By using a USB blocker, you are saving your system and the data within it from an untrustworthy removable device.
Q #2) What is port blocker software?
Answer: Port blocker software, also known as USB lockdown tools, are solutions that can automatically block a USB port from connecting to all unreliable removable storage devices.
This software allows users to block or unblock access to USB devices whenever they wish. This is usually done to secure endpoints from potential malware or virus threats. Simply put, by using this software, you can prevent an unauthorized USB device from accessing your system.
Q #3) How do you know if a USB is blocked?
Answer: To know if your USB is blocked, we suggest using your system’s device manager to check for any hardware changes. To do so, simply follow the steps below:
- Go to the control panel.
- Open the device manager.
- Right-Click on ‘Computer’ and select Scan for Hardware Changes.
Alternatively, you can try restarting your computer or disabling and enabling all USB controllers in the device manager to fix this issue.
Also Read =>> Ways to fix the USB Device Not Recognized Error
Q #4) What are some of the best USB-blocking tools?
Answer: Based on research, we can confidently claim that the below tools are some of the best USB-blocking software you can use to lock down your system ports.
- Endpoint Protector USB Blocker
- ManageEngine Device Control Plus
- SysTools USB Blocker
- USB Safeguard
- Gilisoft USB Lock
Q #5) How does a USB Port Lock Software work?
Answer: A USB port blocker will either block or unblock USB devices in order to prevent malware infections, data loss, and data theft.
A powerful USB blocker like Endpoint Protector, for instance, can also help users with the following:
- Trace all files being transferred to a variety of removable devices.
- Set customized user-based access policies.
- Send alerts via email about actions pertaining to USB devices in real-time.
- Offer analytical reports to help monitor USB device activity.
Q #6) How do I block a USB Drive in Windows 10?
Answer: To effectively block a USB drive in Windows, follow the steps below:
- Click on ‘Start’.
- Navigate to ‘gpedit.msc’ and select ‘Ok’.
- Now proceed to open the ‘Local Group Policy Editor.
- Next, you’ll need to adhere to the following path: Computer > Configuration > Administrative > Templates > System > Removable Storage Access.
- Just at the right side of your screen, you’ll find the ‘All Removable Storage Classes: Deny all access policy’. Double-click it.
- Click on the ‘Enabled’ option in the open window.
- Click apply and then ‘OK’.
- Restart the computer once all configurations are done.
Alternatively, you can choose to block USB drives via the registry (mentioned above) or with the help of a USB locking software like the ones mentioned in this article.
Q #7) How do I lock my USB Port with a password?
Answer: Password-protecting your USB ports is undoubtedly the best way to make sure your data remains safe from theft and other security threats. Fortunately, there is a very simple way to lock USB ports with a password if you are using a reliable third-party security application.
Tools like Endpoint Protectors, for instance, leverage their military-grade encryption technology to password-protect USB ports and devices. Using reliable software is what we would recommend to my readers who wish to password-protect their USB ports.
Q #8) How do I block all USB ports?
Answer: There are a number of options available at your disposal to block or unblock all USB ports of your laptop or desktop system. You can either do it via registry or take the ‘gpedit.msc’ route (both mentioned in this article). However, the best way to block all USB ports is via specialized USB Blocker software.
This software is known to grant users granular rights over USB storage devices, thus allowing users to automatically deny access to certain devices while providing access to others based on the trust level assigned to them.
Q #9) What is a Gigabyte USB blocker?
Answer: As the name suggests, Gigabyte is a USB Blocking software that allows users to block certain USB storage devices from having access to their system. It is known for its easy-to-use interface and simple one-click USB-blocking capabilities.
Aside from USBs, the software can also block a whole host of other external devices, like a memory card or printer.
List of Best USB Blocker Software
Popular USB blocking software list:
- Endpoint Protector USB Blocker (Recommended)
- ManageEngine Device Control Plus
- SysTools USB Blocker
- USB Safeguard
- Gilisoft USB Lock
- NetSoftwares USB Block
- USB Shutter
Comparing Some of the Top USB Port Locking Software
|Tool Name||Best for||Platform||Price||Rating|
|Endpoint Protector||Enforcing Granular USB Blocking Policies||Windows, Mac, Linux||Quote Based||5/5|
|ManageEngine Device Control Plus||Device Control and File access management||Windows, Mac, Linux||Contact for a quote, Professional Starts at $595 for 100 computers||5/5|
|SysTools USB Blocker||Block USB ports from any user machine||All Windows Systems supported||$29 for the personal license, $99 for the business license.$199 enterprise plan available.||4.8/5|
|USB Safeguard||Password Protect Data||Windows, Mac, Linux.||Free for protecting removable drives not more than 4 GB in size, $20 for the trial version license.||4.5/5|
|Gilisoft USB Lock||Block Media and Removable devices||Only Windows||$49.95, Free trial version also avaiable||4.5/5|
#1) Endpoint Protector (Recommended)
Best for enforcing Granular USB Blocking policies.
With Endpoint Protector, you get USB-blocking software that is easy to use and extremely effective at preventing data leaks and malware threats. Its simple web-based interface lays out everything at your fingertips to enforce USB-blocking policies without hassle across all Windows, Mac, and Linux computer systems.
For instance, the USB blocking software allows you to assign different levels of trust to the USB devices that are connected to your system via a USB port.
This way, you can ensure that only devices with a high level of security can connect with your endpoints. You can similarly whitelist company-issued devices or enable read-only settings to only allow users to read devices without performing file transfer actions.
Simply put, Endpoint Protector allows you to customize user access rights to lock down computer ports to all sorts of external devices such as USBs, pen drives, mobile phones, etc.
The software also helps you track all files being transferred to USB devices from your computer. The tool is real-time email alerts that you get, notifying you of various actions pertaining to a removable device on your computer.
Lastly, the software comes equipped with the ability to generate comprehensive analytical reports, which can be leveraged to monitor all activity pertaining to device use.
How to Block USB Devices using Endpoint Protector:
Blocking or unblocking USB and peripheral ports are very simple with the Endpoint Protector.
Simply follow the steps below:
#1) Sign in to your Endpoint Protector Dashboard.
#2) Select Device Control.
#3) In device control, you can control all portable devices connected to your computer. These devices can be USB storage devices, iPhones, Digital Camera, iPad, etc.
#4) Remember, Endpoint Protector gives you granular control over your portable device. You’ll be able to assign access rights on a global level, group level, or for specific computers and users.
#5) For the sake of this guide, we will focus on assigning rights based on specific users. Then select the “User” mentioned on the right-hand side of your dashboard just under “Device Control”.
#6) You’ll be presented with a list of all users. Choose any user whose rights you want to manage by selecting Action -> Manage Rights.
#7) On the following page, you’ll be greeted with a long list of controlled device types with a drop-down menu action button against each of them.
#8) Hit the drop-down action button next to ‘USB Storage Device’ and select whether you wish to deny access, allow access, set access to read-only, or allow access only if it is a trusted device among many other options.
- File Tracing
- Customize Access Rights
- Set Granular Rights
- Real-time email alerts
- Reports and Analysis
- Easy to use.
- Allows you to track all file transfer attempts on USB storage devices.
- Powerful reporting and analysis capabilities.
- Get real-time email alerts.
- Define user access policies per user, group, or computer via a centralized dashboard.
- Nothing significant.
Verdict: Easy to use and very effective, Endpoint Protector’s USB blocker is just another feather in this widely revered security software hat.
The platform allows you to block USB and peripheral ports via a centralized dashboard, thus restricting the use of unwanted external devices on your Windows, Mac, or Linux systems. This one has our highest recommendations.
Price: Contact for a quote
#2) ManageEngine Device Control Plus
Best for device control and file access management.
Device Control Plus from ManageEngine is a powerful file access and security management solution that allows you to instantly detect and block access to all types of unverified USB storage devices. The software empowers admins to monitor user actions and manage file user access permissions whenever required.
The software can prevent unauthorized transfer of files to or from an unreliable USB device. The platform offers granular control to users across all types of portable devices. You’ll be able to restrict a removable device to specific computers, users, and manufacturer types with just a click.
How to Block USB Devices using ManageEngine Device Control Plus:
#1) Launch Device Control Plus -> Policy -> Create Policy
#2) Here you’ll be presented with a page that lists all removable devices to which you can assign rights and control.
#3) Select the drop-down action menu against ‘Removable Storage Devices’ and select ‘Block’ to enable the USB blocker.
#4) Once done, click ‘Save’ and ‘Publish’.
- Remote Screen Sharing and Remote Control.
- Set Customized Access Rights.
- Automated Patch Management.
- Blacklist and Whitelist USB Devices.
- Monitor and restrict data transfer.
- Simple and interactive UI.
- Good tutorial documentation.
- Instantly lock USB ports.
- Restrict the use of personal USB drives on office computer devices.
- Remote access via a browser can be a bit slow.
Verdict: Thanks to a configurable interface, admins can establish settings that lock USB ports without a hassle. The software is easy to use and will help you assign policies to block or unblock USB ports with just a few easy steps.
Price: Contact for a quote, Professional Starts at $595 for 100 computers
Website: ManageEngine Device Control Plus
#3) SysTools USB Blocker
Best for Block USB ports from any user machine.
SysTools USB Blocker is yet another fantastic tool that blocks USB ports to prevent unauthorized access or data leakage. The software allows you to block all USB ports on your computer system at once. Of course, you can unblock the ports just as easily whenever required.
What really distinguishes it from other similar tools out there is its magnificent interface. It is the interface that makes the tool very easy to use, allowing you to block or unblock USB ports across multiple laptops and desktops with just a few clicks.
- Instant blocking and unblocking of USB Ports.
- Set user and machine passwords to block/unblock USB ports.
- Recover lost passwords via email.
- Supports all versions of Windows systems.
- Ensure only authorized people can block USB ports with a dedicated user and machine password.
- Rich and interactive UI.
- Free trial available for 7 days.
- 30-day money-back guarantee if you aren’t satisfied with the machine.
- Does not support Mac or Linux systems.
Verdict: SysTools made it to my list because of how easy it makes USB port blocking look. With this tool by your side, no unauthorized USB device will have access to your computer systems operating on Windows. Add to that, a 7-day free trial makes this tool something you can definitely give a shot without spending money.
Price: $29 for the personal license, $99 for the business license, and $199 for the Enterprise License.
Website: SysTools USB Blocker
#4) USB Safeguard
Best for Password Protect Data on a removable device.
This portable software is a different beast altogether, especially when you consider all the other tools we’ve mentioned so far. This software allows you to protect the data that a USB storage device holds by creating a password-protected virtual drive on it. Once done, no one will access those files on your drive without a password.
With this software, you can open your private files on any Windows-supported PC without admin rights. The platform works phenomenally well for all types of USB drives, memory cards, SSD drives, etc. in a bid to protect the data stored within them.
- Auto Drive Locking if the user is found inactive.
- Instantly locks the drive when unplugged.
- File system encryption with AES 256-bit key.
- Compatible with a bootable drive.
- Lightweight and portable.
- Runs directly from the drive without installation.
- Secure data on Windows, Mac, and Linux.
- Open private files on any PC without admin rights.
- The free version only works on removable devices with a maximum size of 4 GB.
- You’ll need to re-format the drive in NTFS during the setup.
Verdict: USB Safeguard is a powerful yet simple security solution that can be used to protect files stored in removable portable devices by creating a password-protected virtual drive in them. This is another great free USB blocker if you are willing to ignore its few but very glaring issues.
Price: Free to protect removable drives not more than 4 GB in size, $20 for the trial version license.
Website: USB Safeguard
#5) Gilisoft USB Lock
Best for blocking all types of removable drives and media from unauthorized access.
With Gilisoft USB Lock, you will not only prevent data leakage by locking USB ports but also restrict access to media devices like Blu-ray discs and CDs. It allows you to enforce policies that don’t allow any external device to connect with your system unless authorized personnel have whitelisted it.
The software will monitor all operations that are associated with the connection a USB drive has to your computer. It will present its findings in the form of comprehensive reports and logs.
The software also excels due to its employment of advanced data leak prevention tech, which prevents the transfer of files to any USB device without your explicit permission.
- Block USB/SD Drives
- Whitelist Trusted devices
- Lock website or devices
- Lock programs
- Superior data leak prevention technology.
- Block or whitelist devices with just a click.
- Reliable self-protection mode.
- Allows you to lock your control panel with just one click.
- Only compatible with Windows OS.
Verdict: Gilisoft does everything one expects from a powerful USB locker. It gives you full control of which devices to allow access to and which ones to restrict in order to prevent data leakage.
Price: $49.95, a free trial version with limited capabilities, is also available.
Website: Gilisoft USB Lock
#6) NewSoftwares.net USB Block
Best for monitoring hacking attempts.
NewSoftwares.net is another very impressive USB Blocker with outstanding features to offer. The software makes it easier for you to prevent access to all or some ports on your system. You can also whitelist trusted devices to automatically reject access to devices that aren’t authorized.
Perhaps its most fascinating feature, in my opinion, is its ability to proactively monitor and alert you of the wrong password or hacking attempts made to wrongfully gain access to the platform. The software leverages 256-bit military-grade encryption technologies to encrypt your files, thus preventing data leakage.
- Data leakage management console.
- Encrypted password creation.
- Stealth mode operation.
- Comprehensive reports and logs.
- Hack attempt monitoring.
- Automatic and customized protection.
- Supports all popular drives and devices.
- USB block is only available for Windows.
- Although quite user-friendly, its UI could benefit from a makeover.
Verdict: USB Block from NewSoftwares is a lightweight, easy-to-use, and powerful USB blocker that excels due to its versatile data leak prevention management console. The software works in safe mode while blocking all types of untrustworthy drives from accessing your system.
Website: NewSoftwares.net USB Block
Best for free Folder Locking.
BuduLock is a simple USB and folder-locking device that distinguishes itself from many of its contemporaries in one major way. It is free to use. You don’t need to register. Simply download, install, and use the software to enable or disable USB ports on your system. It is particularly known for its ability to password-protect folders to prevent unauthorized access.
- Enable/disable USB ports
- Password Protect Folders
- Comprehensive dashboard
- Reports and logs
- Completely free
- No adware despite being free
- Very easy to use
- Limited System Requirements
- Not exactly feature-rich.
- It only works for Windows 7 and Vista.
Verdict: What BuduLock lacks in functionality, it makes up for with simplicity. If you aren’t stoked about paying to block your USB ports, then you’ll find this free tool appealing. This is hands-down to the best free port lock software for Windows.
#8) USB Shutter
Best for free USB Block software for Windows.
USB Shutter exists to serve one purpose only, which is to shut down USB drives on your computer and prevent data leakage.
The software is incredibly easy to use, allowing you to block and unblock all ports on your laptop or computer system to prevent an unauthorized USB drive from accessing them. However, you will be disappointed if you are seeking a security solution that is rich in features.
- Block/Unblock USB drive
- Simple Visual Dashboard
- WriteProtect USB Drives
- Free to use
- No registration required
- Single-click USB Blocking
- Outdated UI
- Not feature-rich
- Only compatible with Windows XP, Vista, Seven, and 2000.
Verdict: USB Shutter is one of the best free USB port lock software for Windows that we can recommend to only those users who are using systems that are still operating on old Windows OS. It is free and simple to use. For advanced features, I suggest you refer to the tool I’ve mentioned at the top of this list.
Website: USB Shutter
USB drives make for convenient mediums to store and transfer data. They are also a very widely acknowledged source of malware and virus infections affecting computer systems today. It is not uncommon for malware or other forms of security threats to hitch a ride on a removable device to eventually make its way into a vulnerable system.
This is why USB blockers are so helpful. A good USB blocker will allow you to block or unblock USB and other peripheral ports by command. It will also offer you granular control over all external devices, thus allowing you to grant or deny access to certain devices based on whether or not they are trustworthy.
As far as my personal recommendations for Best USB Blocker Software, if an endpoint security solution is what you seek that is also easy to use and sophisticated in its functionality, then we suggest you either opt for Endpoint Protector by CoSoSys or ManageEngine’s Device Control Plus.
- We spent 18 hours researching and writing this article so you can have summarized and insightful information on which USB Blocker Software you should try.
- Total USB Blocker Software Researched: 20
- Total USB Blocker Software Shortlisted: 8