This is an Informative Review And Comparison of Top Data Center Companies. Select the Best Datacenter based on Core Services, Pricing, and Features:
Data Centers are centralized repositories of information. These include server farms and networking equipment that stores, processes, and distributes huge volumes of data for clients. Data centers can offer services like data warehousing, data insights, data storage, etc.
Contrary to popular belief, data centers are actually falling in number every year. They were estimated to be 8.4 million in 2017, and are expected to decline to 7.2 million in 2021. However, this is still more due to the decline in average server prices because of the falling component costs.
Cloud-based alternatives to on-site servers are becoming more popular. However, the data centers offered by various large companies are still being built.
What You Will Learn:
- On-Premise Data Center
- Cloud Vs Data Center
- What Is A Hyperscale Data Center?
- How To Select The Right Data Center?
- Top 11 Data Center Companies In The World
On-Premise Data Center
An on-premise data center is one of the company commissions near or in its headquarters or base of operations. It stores all the data that the company produces and processes in-house.
Cloud Vs Data Center
Cloud servers are much more affordable and practical compared to data centers. Cloud servers are basically data centers that host data for different companies under one roof. They also supply various software services like office suites and applications to the companies for their operations.
This allows the companies to shift to an Operational Expenses (OpEx) model from a Capital Expenses (CapEx) model. Thus, they don’t have to worry about maintaining or repairing the equipment or any upgrades.
What Is A Hyperscale Data Center?
Hyperscale Data Center is a facility that is operated by the company that it supports. This includes Data Centers owned by huge corporations like Amazon, Google, and Microsoft. These Data Centers offer robust and scalable apps and storage portfolio services to businesses and individuals alike.
How To Select The Right Data Center?
There are a few things to consider while selecting the right data center provider.
- Location: Having the data center nearby is a huge advantage. It is a much greater advantage than the cost savings you could make if you position it far away. The distance between your data center and you can impact data speeds. They can also impact the response time to an emergency.
- Reliability: Make sure that you find out what redundant systems the data center offers in case of an emergency. This could be in case of bad weather, or power outages, etc. You should also ensure that there are proper ventilation and cooling.
- Security: Having proper security installed in the data center is crucial. As it houses the enterprise and data apps, any breaches could mean compromise. Average cyber-attacks can cost millions.
- Network Capacity: This can be objectively measured through stats like network reliability, speed, security protocols, etc. You should ensure that they have space and power to meet your needs. You could also invest in server collocation, in which you use a shared local facility. You can rent the space and pay for the power, while the data center operator maintains the security systems.
- Scalability and Flexibility: If you run a business, then it’s crucial that you find a data center that can keep up with your demands. If you sign up with someone with a very rigid structure and no flexibility, then you may find obstacles during expansion.
- Emergency Systems: Great data centers identify several points of failure and set up emergency systems to deal with that failure. Hence, they find ways to mitigate risks due to natural disasters, hacking attacks, power outages, etc.
Thus, they will have UPS for emergency power, protocols to deal with hacks, backup generators, and fire suppression systems, etc.
Top 11 Data Center Companies In The World
Enlisted below are the most popular Data Center Service providers available worldwide.
- Digital Realty
- China Telecom
- NTT Communications
- Cyxtera Technologies
- China Unicom
- Amazon Web Services
- 365 Data Centers
Comparison Of The Best Data Center Service Providers
|Company||Headquarters||Founded In||# of Data Centers||Markets Served||Services|
|Equinix||Redwood City, CA, US||1998||202 (12 more to come)||24 countries||5|
|Digital Realty||San Francisco, CA, US||2004||214||14 countries||3|
|China Telecom||Beijing, China||2002||456||>10 countries||6|
|NTT Communications||Tokyo, Japan||1999||48||17 countries||9|
|Telehouse/KDDI||London, UK /Tokyo, Japan||1988/1953||40||12 countries||4|
Equinix was founded in 1998. Its headquarters is located in Redwood City, California, USA. The company had 7273 employees as of 2017 and serves 24 countries including the UK and the USA. It has a vast network of 202 data centers around the world, with 12 more being installed.
Equinix offers 5 core services which include:
- Managed Services: Equinix offers managed services that allow the integration of data and applications. This is similar to the office suites that are offered by competitors like Google and Amazon.
- Equinix Marketplace: Equinix Marketplace allows you to find colocation solutions to IT challenges. The ecosystem includes 9800 members in 52 markets that have created nearly 333,000 interconnections. The marketplace includes both buyers and sellers.
- Network Edge: This is a virtual network service that allows for instant deployment of programs and updates.
- Consulting: Equinix also provides professional consulting for businesses and offers digital solutions for scalability and interconnection.
- SmartKey: This is a cryptography service that helps to improve data protection in the cloud.
Pricing: Pricing for Equinix is available here.
#2) Digital Realty
Digital Realty was founded in 2004 and its headquarters resides in San Francisco, CA, US. The company has over 1530 employees, 214 data centers, and is active in 14 countries.
The company offers 3 core services:
- Rapid Response Support: Remote hands-on technicians from Digital Realty serve as extensions of the in house team of experts. They help to optimize performance within the data centers. These technicians are especially good at responding to threats. This coverage is given for 24 hours*365 days a year. The services are tailored to the site and specific needs of a corporation.
- Scheduled Services: Schedule services include equipment inventory, deployment of equipment and cabling, on-site support for maintenance windows, scheduled tape swaps, etc.
- On-Demand Services: These include repair services, upgrades, equipment assistance, and hard or soft reboots.
Pricing: Digital Realty can be contacted here for more pricing information.
Website: Digital Realty
#3) China Telecom
China Telecom is one of the largest providers of Data Center services in the world. It was founded in 2002, with its main headquarters in Beijing. While its services are present in only 10 countries, the company has over 456 data centers as it serves mainland China. The company has 287,076 Employees.
The core services include:
- Business Solutions: China Telecom provides business consulting for various companies and even the government.
- Unified Communications: These include cloud conferencing, global voice services and IP connectivity between customers and Service Providers.
- Bandwidth: China Telecom provides low latency networks, VPNs and International Privately Leased Lines for better connectivity.
- Internet: These are simple internet services with DDoS protection.
- Cloud & IDC: These services include storage options, Virtual Private Clouds, private mail servers & collocation and data migration services.
- CTExcel Mobile Business: This is a suite of 4G LTE services provided to international customers.
Pricing: You can contact China Telecom for its pricing details.
Website: China Telecom
#4) NTT Communications
NTT Communications was founded in 1999 and is headquartered in Tokyo, Japan. The company has 48 data centers in total and is active in 17 countries. It has nearly 310,000 employees around the world.
NTT communications offer 9 core services including:
- Network: This includes VPN services, CNS services, and Leased line services. It’s basically their internet service provider branch.
- Voice and Video Communications: This includes providing the ability for SIP Trunking, Conferencing, and UCaaS as well as International Call Services.
- Security: This is the standard security service for NTT communications which includes risk management.
- Operations Management: This includes cloud management, end-user service desk and IT managed services.
- Cloud: Cloud services include providing storage, IoT services, and data processing.
- Data Center: Data center services include collocation services and establishment of storage and processing facilities.
- Application Services: Cloud based DaaS, File transfer services, G Suite services, etc.
- IoT: This is the in-house IoT platform that the company provides.
- AI: The AI services include the APIs, Virtual Assistants, and a Chat Service.
Pricing: You can contact NTT Communications for pricing details.
Website: NTT Communications
Telehouse/KDDI is an amalgamation of two companies. KDDI was founded in 1953 while Telehouse was founded in 1988. The former has its HQ in Tokyo and the latter in London. They have a total of 40 data centers and are active in 12 countries. They have a total of 35,000 employees around the world.
KDDI/Telehouse offers a total of 4 core services:
- Managed Services: Managed services include systems monitoring, hardware upgrades, and onsite cabling services, etc.
- Cloud Services: These services include storage, data processing, security, etc.
- Connectivity: This includes services like ISPs, Inter-Site Connectivity, etc.
- Colocation: This includes services like building and operating on-site data centers, disaster recovery, and metered power solutions.
Pricing: You can contact Telehouse/KDDI for more pricing information.
Coresite was founded in 2001 and is headquartered in Denver, Colorado, US. It has nearly 454 employees. It currently owns about 22 data center facilities in 8 countries.
Coresite has 4 core services:
- Colocation: Colocation services offer shared facilities that can be operated on-site with the help of Coresite. These can include upgrades, maintenance, scheduled updates, emergency protocols, etc.
- Interconnection: Interconnection provides hardware and software solutions for internet connectivity. These include installing hardwired cables that provide high performance and resilient connections.
- Cloud Services: Cloud services include storage, data processing, hybrid cloud, multi-cloud implementations, etc.
- Industry Solutions: This service includes providing tech-based solutions to companies like network providers and healthcare providers, or digital media companies.
Pricing: You can contact Coresite for its pricing information.
Verizon was founded in 1983 and is headquartered in Basking Ridge, New Jersey, US. The company has nearly 139,400 employees. Its services are present in nearly 150 countries and it has nearly 40 data centers.
Verizon provides 2 core services:
- Secure Cloud Interconnect: Secure Cloud Interconnect helps to protect data and apps through Verizon’s cloud service providers.
- Business Process Application Marketing: This service helps to monitor business transactions and apps efficiently. This includes end to end monitoring down to the code level if required.
Pricing: Verizon pricing is available here.
#8) Cyxtera Technologies
Cyxtera was founded in 2017 and is headquartered in Coral Gables, Florida, US. It has nearly 1150 employees and is operational in 9 countries. It has 60 data centers around the world.
Cyxtera has 4 core services including:
- Colocation Services: This provides shared facilities that can be operated on-site for various clients.
- Colocation on Demand: This is a suite of services that provides extensions and modifications to on-site data centers.
- Interconnection: Interconnection refers to Cyxtera’s global data center footprint that services all sorts of connectivity options. This includes cloud data and connectivity.
- Marketplace: The marketplace refers to CXD powered providers that include cloud on-ramps and Storage-as-a-Service providers. This helps to modify the existing collocation facilities.
Pricing: You can find out Cyxtera’s pricing by contacting them.
#9) China Unicom
China Unicom was founded in 1994 and is headquartered in Beijing. It has nearly 246,299 employees and a total of 550 data centers. The company serves two major markets i.e. mainland China, and Hong Kong.
China Unicom offers a variety of Data Center services including:
- Cloud Interconnection: This service connects various clouds and data storage locations for faster connectivity.
- CDN: This service provides great video streaming capabilities.
- Alibaba Cloud: Alibaba Cloud is the biggest cloud service provider in China.
- Cloud Bond: Cloud Bond allows connection with the world’s best cloud services for multi-cloud solutions at low prices.
- Customized Data Center Services: This service offers customized solutions for different companies.
Pricing: You can find out China Unicom’s pricing by contacting them.
Website: China Unicom
#10) Amazon Web Services
Amazon Web Services was founded in 2006 as a branch of Amazon. It is headquartered in Seattle, Washington, US, and has nearly 25,000 employees. It has 116 data centers around the world.
Core Services: AWS offers a huge list of core services including data analytics, application integration, AR and VR, Blockchain, Developer tools, etc.
Pricing: AWS pricing can be negotiated as a pay-as-you-go model.
Website: Amazon Web Services
#11) 365 Data Centers
365 Data Centers was founded in 2002 and is headquartered in Connecticut, USA. The company operates 11 data centers nationwide and has nearly 81 employees.
365 Data Centers offers 4 core services including:
- Cloud Services: This includes cloud services like storage, and onramp services through connections with players like IBM, AWS, and Oracle.
- Colocation: Colocation services offer the ability to build on-site data centers.
- Managed Services: Managed services include backup and recovery, disaster recovery, security solutions, and enterprise suites.
- Network & IP Services: Network and IP services include providing high-speed internet connections, and VPNs.
Pricing: 365 Data Centers can be contacted for their pricing plans.
Website: 365 Data Centers
All the Data Center Companies that we have listed above are centralized repositories of information and offer the core services.
Thus, the best Data Center Companies for you will vary based on your requirements and budget.