List and Comparison of The Best Continuous Testing Tools for DevOps Testing:
Continuous testing is the procedure that is followed for finding out the business risks associated with software releases. It is a part of the software delivery pipeline. Continuous testing software aims to analyze business risk coverage.
Businesses have adopted agile and DevOps as software development models, to achieve quality and speed. Continuous Integration (CI), Continuous Testing (CT), and Continuous Delivery (CD) help the businesses in delivering quality products at a higher speed.
Continuous Integration is performed by tools, while Continuous Delivery is performed with the help of tools & team but the Continuous Testing process requires the involvement of tools, teams, individuals, and services.
The following image shows the market size of the CI tools for various regions:
What You Will Learn:
- The Complete Process of CI, CT, and CD
- List of Top DevOps Continuous Testing Tools
- Comparison of Best Continuous Testing Software
- Worksoft, Inc – Recommended Continuous Testing Tool
- #1) Kobiton
- #2) Avo Assure
- #3) Jenkins
- #4) Bamboo
- #5) Docker
- #6) JIRA
- #7) Tricentis Tosca
- #8) Puppet Enterprise
- #9) GitHub
- #10) CruiseControl
- #11) Testsigma
- #12) Selenium
- Additional DevOps Continuous Testing Tools
The Complete Process of CI, CT, and CD
Continuous Integration is the process that integrates the changes made to the code or new functionalities developed by the developer to the main software product. This process indeed makes the continuous testing process very critical.
A build is created by validating these changes. The automated tests are then performed on this build. This complete process gets extended through the Continuous Delivery process. The testing process ensures that the changes can be delivered.
Along with continuous testing, continuous delivery is also an automated process. Developers can release the application or changes with just one click. The concept of moving the testing earlier in the lifecycle or doing it frequently is also called shifting left.
List of Top DevOps Continuous Testing Tools
Enlisted below are the most popular Continuous Testing Tools for DevOps Testing that are used worldwide.
Comparison of Best Continuous Testing Software
|Continuous Testing Tools||Best For||Best Functionality||Features||Free Trial||Price||Visit Website|
|Medium to Large size businesses.||Agile & DevOps Test Automation.||Integrating UI and end-to-end testing into the CI pipeline, |
Robust Integrations with 3rd Party Solutions.
|No||Get a quote||Worksoft|
|Teams of any size.||Real-device Testing & Intelligent Test Automation.||Scriptless test automation, JIRA integration, Advanced reporting & analytics.||Available||It starts at $50 per month.||Kobiton|
|Mid-market, and enterprise companies.||100% No-code, seamless end to end process testing, and heterogeneous coverage.||Scriptless test automation, Cross-platform compatible, Mindmaps, Smart scheduling and execution, Intelligent reporting.||Yes||Tiered Pricing. Request a Quote||Avo Assure|
|Small to large businesses.||Builds||Task automation, Testing of isolated changes in the larger code base, & Work distribution.||No.||Free||Jenkins|
|Any team size.||Builds||Dedicated agents Any language and popular technologies are supported, Real-time collaboration, Visibility on code changes.||30 days||Small Teams: $10 for 10 jobs Growing Teams: $1100 for unlimited jobs.||Bamboo|
|Small to large businesses and individuals.||DevOps||Code building collaboratively, Integration with any stack or CI tool, Supports Windows and Linux.||No.||Docker Hub: (Individuals) Free plan Docker Hub: (Organizations) Starts at $7 per month||Docker|
|Small to large businesses.||Planning||Kanban boards Customizable workflows, Custom filters, Rich APIs, etc.||Self-managed: 30 days, |
Cloud-based: 7 days
|Cloud-based solution: $10 per month for 10 users. |
For self-managed: Server: $10.
Data Centre: $12000 per year
|Small to large businesses||Continuous Testing||No Code Approach, Model-based Test automation, Distribution execution.||Available||Get a quote||Tricentis Tosca|
Worksoft, Inc – Recommended Continuous Testing Tool
Tool Name: Worksoft
Worksoft Certify offers unmatched support for web and cloud applications with pre-built, out-of-the-box optimizations for over 250 commonly used web and cloud applications. Certify’s world-class ecosystem of solutions spans the entire DevOps and continuous delivery pipelines for enterprise applications.
Recognized as the global leader in DevOps testing for packaged applications, the world’s leading SIs have embedded Worksoft into their SAP change management practices.
Worksoft Certify supports DevOps Testing by:
- Transforming the way business analysts, developers and testing teams collaborate by automating business process documentation and enabling them to visualize end-to-end business processes, identify variations, assess risks and optimize testing plans.
- Creating risk-based continuous testing pipelines that feed into large enterprise application production environments, running millions of business process steps across hundreds of cloud machines to deliver the scale necessary to run complex businesses.
- Integrating UI and end-to-end testing into the CI pipeline and scheduling continuous testing, removing the need for 100’s of hours of manual test case execution.
- Providing Robust Integrations with 3rd Party Solutions that enable companies to choose the tools best suited to their organization and easily manage tasks across the DevOps release cycle.
Kobiton is Best for teams of any size.
Price: Kobiton has plans for every team and offers five pricing plans: Startup ($50 per month), Accelerate ($200 per month), Scale ($700 per month), Growth ($1400 per month), and Enterprise (Custom Plans).
Kobiton is a continuous mobile testing tool. Kobiton’s Scriptless Test Automation can provide DevOps-ready automated test scripts. Its Appium Anywhere technology will give a solution for the flaky test scripts.
This capability will let you be sure that the test will run the same on every device. In addition, it helps with instantly detecting app crashes and performance issues.
- Kobiton can seamlessly integrate into your DevOps platform and all major CI/CD platforms.
- It is an intelligent test automation platform that facilitates scriptless mobile test automation functionalities.
- It has features of real-device testing that includes manual and automated testing on real devices.
- Kobiton platform has functionalities for functional testing, visual testing, performance testing, device lab management, etc.
Verdict: Kobiton is a feature-rich platform for continuous mobile testing. Kobiton offers testing on real devices, device lab management, etc. Simply execute your manual test, and the tool’s intelligent test automation feature will create DevOps-ready automated test scripts.
#2) Avo Assure
Avo Assure is a continuous testing tool that offers 100% no-code test automation. It is cross-platform compatible, which enables you to test applications across the web, mobile, desktop, ERP applications, mainframes, and associated emulators. Together, the no-code and heterogeneous capabilities empower teams to achieve continuous testing.
Avo Assure helps you to:
- Achieve end-to-end test automation with a few clicks of the buttons.
- Bring together technical and business users to carry out testing equally seamlessly, thereby enabling faster testing.
- Visualize the entire testing hierarchy through Mindmaps to help you design test flows and define test plans.
- Integrate with robust third-party tools like Jira, Sauce Labs, ALM, TFS, Jenkins, and QTest.
- Execute multiple scenarios simultaneously in a single VM independently or in parallel using the Smart Scheduling and Execution feature.
- Expedite releases by leveraging 1400+ pre-built keywords.
Best for small to large businesses.
Jenkins is a free and open-source Java-based tool that runs in an EJB container. It has functionalities for continuous delivery and continuous deployment. Its web interface makes it easy to set up and configure.
- Jenkins supports the testing of isolated changes even in the larger codebase.
- It can perform automated testing of builds.
- To distribute the workload equally among the nodes, Jenkins will help you to scale up the system by adding the nodes.
- It can perform the task of work distribution across several machines.
- It can also automate the task of deploying the developed software.
Verdict: Jenkins is a Java-based platform for continuous testing. It has an easy installation procedure. It provides a lot of integrations. It gets hosted internally.
Best for any team size.
Price: Bamboo offers a free trial for 30 days. The price will be charged based on the agents. There are two pricing plans i.e. one for small teams and another for the growing teams. The plan for Small Teams will cost you $10 for 10 jobs.
The Growing Team’s plan will cost you $1100 for unlimited jobs. Both plans will provide unlimited agents. As the number of agents increases, more processes will run concurrently.
This continuous integration build server has functionalities for automatic builds, tests, and releases. To build fast, test smartly, and release often, Bamboo provides the features and functionalities of Parallel tests, Docker agents, Permissions, Quarantine, Branch Detection, and Triggers. It is easy to set up as well.
- Bamboo can be used with any language and some popular technologies like AWS CodeDeploy and Docker.
- Dedicated agents feature will allow you to run critical builds and hotfixes.
- Bamboo will provide visibility on code changes.
- It can be integrated with HipChat.
- Real-time collaboration features.
Verdict: Bamboo can be used with technologies like AWS CodeDeploy, Docker, and Amazon S3. If Bamboo, Bitbucket, and JIRA software are combined, then you will be able to follow the complete development process, right from planning to deployment.
Best for small to large businesses and individuals.
Price: Docker Hub plans for organizations start at $7 per month for 5 private repositories and 5 parallel builds. For individuals, it starts with a free plan with one private repository and one parallel build. As per the reviews, the pricing for Docker Enterprise starts at $750 per node per year.
Docker offers two products i.e. Docker Hub and Docker Enterprise. Docker Enterprise will empower the Splunk CI and test platforms and will enable them to deploy 20000 containers every day. There will be one unified pipeline as Docker Enterprise integrates CI/CD pipeline to a secure software supply chain.
- Docker supports code building collaboratively.
- DevOps practice built with Docker Enterprise can be integrated with any application stack and CI tool of your choice.
- It can run on Linux or Windows.
- It will support any infrastructure, on-premise, cloud, or both.
Verdict: Docker Enterprise is the complete solution to build, share, and run container-based applications. It has features of CI/CD integration, Developer Productivity Tooling, and End-to-end Kubernetes support.
Best for small to large businesses.
Price: JIRA offers a free trial of 7 days for a cloud-based solution. The price of a cloud-based solution is based on the number of users. For 10 users the solution will cost you $10 per month.
For self-managed solution, Jira offers a free trial of 30 days. There are two plans for self-managed solutions i.e. Server ($10 onetime payment) and Data Center ($12000 per year).
Jira software is for the project and issue tracking. It has features for planning, tracking, releasing, and reporting. It will help you to stay focused through scrum boards. It can be integrated with the developer tools.
- Kanban boards will help the teams to deliver maximum output.
- It has features and functionalities for sketching out the big picture, communicating the plans, and ensuring the roadmaps connection with your team’s work progress.
- It provides real-time actionable reports through Agile Reporting.
- It provides features like customizable workflows, custom filters, Mobile Apps, and Rich APIs.
Verdict: Jira is a popular project management software that comes with features like unlimited custom fields, defects management, powerful search, advanced reporting, etc.
#7) Tricentis Tosca
Best for small to large businesses.
Price: Tricentis offers a free trial. You can contact the company for the pricing details and product demo.
Tricentis Tosca is the platform for Automated Continuous Testing. It can be combined with open-source testing tools and more than 150 technologies. It has functionalities for Test Data Management and Test Impact Analysis.
- Low code/ No Code approach.
- It supports Model-based Test automation which is a scriptless approach and will reduce the maintenance overhead.
- It has features for Functional Testing, BI Testing, Load Testing, and Risk-based Testing.
- It supports distributed execution.
Verdict: Tricentis Tosca provides cloud-based collaboration features. It has functionalities for Exploratory Testing and Packaged App Testing.
Website: Tricentis Tosca
#8) Puppet Enterprise
Best for small to large businesses.
Price: Puppet Enterprise offers a free trial for the product for 10 nodes. You can contact the company for the requirement of more than 10 nodes. As per the reviews, there is two pricing plan i.e. Standard ($112 per node per year) and Premium ($199 per node per year).
Puppet Enterprise has solutions for DevOps, Security & Compliance, Configuration & Management, Cloud Management, etc. It will help you to update your continuous delivery workflow for cloud-native applications.
- It has features of managing infrastructure as code, versioning, automated testing, CI/CD, etc.
- Through configurations management solutions it will help you to monitor and enforce the desired configurations.
- Configurations management solutions will provide features for automatic remediation of unexpected changes.
Verdict: Puppet Enterprise has the capability to automate anything, anywhere. The tool will help the teams in adopting DevOps practices like version control, code review, automated testing, continuous integration, and automated deployment.
Website: Puppet Enterprise
Best for small to large businesses, freelancers, non-profits, and public administrators.
Price: GitHub offers a free plan with the basics of GitHub. It offers three more plans i.e. Pro ($7 per month), Team ($9 per user per month), and Enterprise (Get a quote).
GitHub has built-in review tools. It has functionalities for the project and team management. The tool will help you with tracking and assigning tasks. It will also allow you to set team and user permissions.
- GitHub has features for project management.
- It provides good collaboration features. It will allow the teams to collaborate for code.
- It offers features of Access Control, API, SSL Security, Monitoring, Projections, and Third-Party integrations.
- It also has features for code review, code hosting, and social coding.
Verdict: GitHub is one of the popular software development platforms. This platform will let you review the code, manage projects, and develop software. GitHub Marketplace is the solution for browsing and buying the tools.
Best for small to large businesses
CruiseControl provides the functionality to help you develop a custom continuous build process. It is an extensible framework. This continuous integration tool will provide a lot of plugins to give you a variety of source controls and build technologies.
- CruiseControl is an open source application.
- It can be integrated with several source control systems like vss, csv, svn, git, etc.
- It supports the building of multiple projects on a single server.
- It can be integrated with tools like NAnt, NDepend, NUnit, etc.
- It also supports Remote Management.
Verdict: CruiseControl supports multiple notification schemes like email and instant messaging through the plugin. You will be able to view the details of current and previous builds through a web interface.
Best for small to large businesses.
Price: Testsigma offers a free trial of 30 days for an Enterprise plan. There are three pricing plans i.e. Basic ($198 per month), Pro ($288 per month), and Enterprise (Get a quote). Basic and Pro plans are for up to 25 users and the Enterprise plan is for more than 25 users.
Testsigma is a cloud-based automation testing software for continuous testing of Agile and DevOps projects. It is for testing Web applications, Mobile web applications, Android & iOS apps, and APIs. There is no need to have coding skills with this platform.
- It supports automated testing of Web Applications and iOS & Android Web Applications.
- More than 800 desktop browsers and OS combos are accessible.
- It has features for test management for manual testing.
- It can be integrated with Slack, Jira, Jenkins, Sauce Labs, etc.
- It can take videos and screenshots of the tests.
- With the Enterprise plan, you will get features like custom functions, custom integrations, and premium support.
Verdict: Testsigma offers various benefits like super-fast test development, cloud-based fully-loaded test lab, reducing time & cost through parallel tests, etc. As it is AI-driven, it will reduce test maintenance efforts.
Best for small to large businesses.
Selenium is used for automation testing of web applications. Selenium WebDriver will let you create robust and browser-based regression automation tests and suites. It has the power to automate browsers. You can make the full use of this power and it is not just limited to automating web applications.
- Selenium-IDE has the record and Playback functionalities.
- It can be used for creating quick bug reproduction scripts.
- Selenium WebDriver supports multiple browsers and operating systems.
- With the help of Selenium WebDriver, you will be able to create scalable scripts and that can be distributed across various environments.
- It supports multiple programming languages.
Verdict: Selenium provides a suite of tools to help you with testing web applications and Selenium WebDriver is one of the popular tools of automation testing.
Suggested Read => In-Depth Free Selenium Training
Additional DevOps Continuous Testing Tools
In addition to the software listed above, following is a list of some lesser-known Continuous Testing Tools-
PagerDuty offers a solution for a variety of use cases like Digital Operations Management, Modern Incident Response, On-Call Management and Notifications, Event Intelligence, etc. It provides features like integration with more than 300 tools.
It is best for small to large businesses. PagerDuty offers a free trial for 14 days. There are four pricing plans i.e. Starter ($10 per month up to 6 users), Platform Team ($29 per user per month), Platform Business ($39 per user per month), and Enterprise ($99 per user per month).
#14) IBM Rational Functional Tester
It is the tool for functional testing and regression testing. It can perform data-driven testing, GUI testing, functional testing, and regression testing. It can be used for various applications like web-based, .Net, Java, Siebel, PowerBuilder, etc.
It has features for StoryBoard Testing, Automated Testing, Data-driven testing, and Test Scripting. It has functionalities for visual editing through screenshots, AdvancedScript assured technology and earlier data detection. IBM offers a free trial for the product.
Website: IBM Rational Functional Tester
#15) qTest Pulse
qTest has functionalities for Orchestration, automation, and communication. It provides easy to configure workflows. It will allow you to set custom rules for removing bottlenecks. It will help you to automate updates across agile teams.
It provides support through the User Guides, Video Tutorials, and Webinar. It has features of extensibility, flexibility in rule sets, and workflow standardization. It offers a free trial for the product. You can get a quote for their pricing details and also request for a demo as well.
Website: qTest Pulse
#16) Unified Functional Testing (UFT)
UFT provides the services for Continuous Testing, testing test framework, Manual software testing, Mobile Testing, Application Test Management, etc. It supports multiple browsers and their versions for cross-browser testing.
It offers features like test execution at full velocity, comprehensive technology stack, object-detection with high accuracy, openness and extensibility, and DevOps Testing ready.
UFT offers a free trial for 60 days. You can contact the company for volume pricing. Annual License for Runtime Engine will be available at $2300. The annual seat license for UFT will cost you $3200.
As seen in this article, businesses have adopted CI/CD to achieve speed and quality. Out of the top DevOps Continuous Testing tools that we have seen in this article, Jenkins, CruiseControl, and Selenium are the free tools. JIRA, Bamboo, Tricentis Tosca, and Testsigma offer a free trial.
Tricentis Tosca, Testsigma, and qTest Pulse are good for continuous testing. Selenium, IBM Functional Tester, and UFT are good for Automation Testing. Jenkins and Bamboo have good features for builds. Docker and PagerDuty are popular DevOps Testing Tools. Jira is well known for planning and GitHub for version control.
Hope this article helps you in choosing the right Continuous Testing Tool.