Overview of Agile Testing Tools:
Agile development is evolved through self-organized teams. It is a type of Incremental Model and these small incremental releases are built on previous functionality.
All these releases are tested thoroughly to ensure whether the quality of the product or project is maintained or not. A Software Testing practice which follows Agile Software Development Principles is called Agile Testing. Agile Testing saves a lot of time and money.
It takes regular feedback from the customers and conducts a daily meeting with all business stakeholders which helps to address all the issues in a good manner.
One of the most important advantages of Agile Testing is that it accepts last minute changes and does not follow any project plan. Due to this, more and more teams are adopting the agile framework.
Testers in the Agile project may be using different testing tools to test various functionalities within the application. Many agile development teams have different approaches to testing like Functional Testing, Exploratory Testing, and Automation Testing etc.
In this article, we will take a look at the most popular Agile Testing Tools which are used in our day-to-day testing activity.
What You Will Learn:
Most Popular Agile Testing Tools
Let us know more about the most popular Agile Testing tools.
=>> Contact us to suggest listing here
JIRA is an Agile Testing as well as a Project Management Tool developed by Atlassian. Atlassian Corporation Plc is a software company that develops products for project managers, software developers, etc. Atlassian was launched in 2002 with its headquarter in Sydney, Australia.
Its revenue was around $620 million in 2017 with a total employee count of around 2,200 and serves around 60K customer across the globe. Atlassian is well known for its tool – JIRA which is used for defect tracking, planning, reports, and managing all agile software development projects.
- JIRA supports agile methodology like Scrum, Kanban, etc.
- It has a strong reporting feature which provides access to dozens of reports with a real-time team performance.
- Plans and forecasts roadmap and is able to make informed decisions.
- Customized filters using JIRA Query Language.
- It can be integrated with the developer tools for end to end traceability.
Visit official site: JIRA
PractiTest is used as a test management tool for agile testing. It is easy to learn, affordable & flexible and helps both the developers and testers. PractiTest includes requirements, test runs, results, issues, reporting and provides the detailed status of your project. It manages development and testing processes and has a control of each and every task.
PractiTest provides information to different stakeholders – developers, testers, senior management etc in the way in which they require. It has the capability to display information in multiple ways at a glance.
- It can be integrated with tools like JIRA, Jenkins, Selenium, TestComplete etc.
- It has a hierarchical tree structure to manage and find information.
- The powerful and customized dashboard provides relevant and accurate information.
- Easily imports existing data.
- Complex database queries can be easily generated.
- Creates manual tests and organizes based on sprints.
- PractiTest has the capability to create bug directly from the test run.
Visit official site: PractiTest
TestRail is a modern Agile Testing Tool owned by Gurock Software Company. Gurock was launched in 2004 with its headquarters in Berlin, Germany. Gurock Software specializes in software development and QA. Products developed at Gurock are helpful for customers worldwide to build their software.
Currently, many large-scale organizations such as Microsoft, DELL, Oracle, Intel, HP, Adobe etc are using their products. TestRail is a web-based tool used by the testing team to manage Agile Testing Efforts. TestRail is specifically designed for the purpose of supporting agile project milestone using sprints, various reports, and metrics.
- TestRail manages test cases, test runs, track test results and manages entire Testing efforts.
- TestRail integrates with automation tools like JIRA, Jenkins, and Selenium.
- Using its cloud edition, you can use it without installation or set-up.
- Easily selects test cases based on the filter for execution and stores the result using modern interface.
- Various dashboard, reports, and email notifications keep the user informed throughout the testing cycle.
- It can be integrated with Bugzilla, GitHub, Rally, TFS, FogBugz etc.
Visit official site: TestRail
SoapUI is an agile testing tool and is the most advanced REST and Service Oriented Architecture (SOA) which was developed by SmartBear. SmartBear is a Software Information Technology Company which was launched in 2009 with its headquarters in Boston, USA.
SoapUI is basically used for functional testing of web services. This includes web service development, invoking of web services, etc. Using SoapUI, Test cases are easily created for web services. It has strong a GUI which helps to execute tests and analyze the reports in the GUI itself.
- SoapUI is a free and an open source tool.
- SoapUI supports SOAP web service functional testing and REST API functional testing.
- It allows to create and execute functional, regression and load tests.
- Test cases can be easily created using drag and drop interface.
- SoapUI provides complete test coverage and supports all standard protocols.
- It supports multiple environment and data-driven testing.
Visit official site: SoapUI
VersionOne was launched in 2002 but as of 2017, it is acquired by Collabnet Inc. VersionOne develops agile software solutions and services for fortune 100 companies. It is headquartered in Alpharetta, Georgia, and other offices are in Atlanta and Amsterdam.
VersionOne is an agile testing tool as well as agile project management tool to support agile methodologies such as Scrum, Kanban XP, Lean, etc. It provides a centralized view of the backlog with drag and drop interface.
- VersionOne provides centralized project management and improves the project visibility.
- Stories and epics can be managed across multiple projects and project teams.
- Easily defines and tracks delivery across all the projects and project has the visibility across the entire project lifecycle.
- It allows the user to prioritize stories and defects using drag and drop interface.
- VersionOne can be integrated with JIRA, Jenkins, TFS, GitHub, etc
Visit official site: VersionOne
#6) Selenium WebDriver
Selenium WebDriver is an agile automation tool which is widely used across the software industry. In today’s technology, the word “Agile” and “Automation” are used frequently due to their huge advantages.
It is truly required in the software industry to run any project in agile methodology and run repeatable tests using automation – Selenium WebDriver for a web-based application.
Selenium WebDriver is used very often in many agile projects as every team member can contribute to automating the test cases.
- Selenium WebDriver is used only to automate browser-based application and it does not support desktop based applications.
- Keyword driven framework can be easily built using Selenium WebDriver
- Simulates how an actual user can interact with the application using automated test cases.
- It supports JAVA, C#, Python, Ruby, PHP programming languages to write automation scripts.
Visit official site: Selenium WebDriver
Apache JMeter is an agile performance testing tool written in JAVA language. It is designed to measure the performance of an application and its functional behavior under a specific load. Using JMeter you can simulate a heavy load on the web server and analyze its performance.
- JMeter is an open source tool.
- Graphical analysis is possible for the performance measurement of the application under different types of load.
- Ability to perform Load and Performance testing on different applications, servers etc.
- Extended plug-in support for data analysis and visualization.
- JMeter can be used for static and dynamic resources like Servlets, Java Objects, and FTP servers to measure their performance.
Visit official site: JMeter
#8) qTest Scenario
qTest Scenario is a JIRA plug-in which is used for agile testing. It helps the project team to take a test-first approach in agile testing. qTest Scenario manages the creation of test cases, execution, defect tracking and results.
- It is built specifically for BDD, TDD and ATDD approach.
- Can easily import and export the existing files.
- It provides Gherkin editor for scenario and feature development.
- Test scenarios can be executed using manual method through JIRA interface or using automation through Maven or Ruby.
- Analyzes test coverage and features.
- It can create custom reporting using JIRA and can compare velocity reporting.
- For automated test results, it can be integrated with Cucumber via Maven.
Visit official site: qTest
#9) Pivotal Tracker
Pivotal Tracker is a project management tool that is used for the purpose of project planning. It is based on Agile development methodology, however, it works well in all types of project models such as Waterfall model, Iterative model, V-model, etc.
Tracker also helps in iteration planning during agile testing. It helps to break down a large project into the small tasks or chunks and can be managed and delivered easily. The agile team delivers the project consistently with the help of a tracker.
It helps to get the collaborative view of the entire team and analyzes the progress of the team at the end progress of the project. It shows project status at a glance.
- Shared view of the team helps to prioritize the project task.
- Easily visualize scope and focused teamwork.
- Project team gets the real-time progress view and shows team status.
- Can get the clear and single view of who is responsible for which task and what is a team member’s next task.
- It helps to keep a track of all stories from the project start to its successful delivery.
- Pivotal Tracker provides configuration updates.
- Powerful Search support in the tracker also saves the regular searches to use it later when required.
- Easy drag and drop facility to attach the files, presentations, etc
Visit official site: Pivotal Tracker
Zephyr is a real-time Test Management Tool which was developed considering today’s technical era, newly developed complex business applications, and was designed to satisfy dynamic changes in the testing processes. It manages all processes, task associated with the software testing lifecycle and delivers a high-quality product.
Along with the agile methodology, Zephyr is useful for various other methodologies such as Waterfall, V-Model, etc. Zephyr is integrated with JIRA so that testing activities are managed easily. With this Zephyr add-in into JIRA, you can track the project status and deliver a quality product.
- It can be integrated with JIRA, Selenium, Jenkins, QTP, Bamboo etc.
- Zephyr for JIRA is integrated within JIRA such as look and feel similar to JIRA.
- Imports user stories and maintains traceability inside Zephyr for JIRA.
- Tests can be created & modified and also plans test execution cycles.
- Tests are organized in structure folder management so that they are easily reusable.
- Zephyr builds test cycles, aligns sprint and assigns resources for execution.
- Executes tests, stores test results into Zephyr and easily tracks quality metrics.
- Zephyr Enterprise provides all information such as project, sprint, and release at a glance
Visit official site: Zephyr
QMetry is an Open source agile testing tool and was also developed for DevOps. QMetry helps the agile team to build, manage and deploy the software faster as compared to other tools. It provides an agile solution with powerful test management, customized metrics, test automation and Continuous Integration.
QMetry provides a plug-in for JIRA and using this tool it provides advanced test metrics, reports to the JIRA users. QMetry helps automation for Continuous Integration and Continuous Development. It converts automation results into quality metrics and detailed summary report.
- QMetry is integrated with ALM, Rally, Bamboo, VersionOne, Selenium etc.
- It supports agile testing to create and organize a large volume of user stories and test cases.
- Enables test planning, execution, defect management, traceability and complete coverage using agile testing.
- QMetry for JIRA is designed for test management activities for agile projects.
- Drag and drop interface can link user stories to the scenarios.
- Customized dashboard, detailed analysis reports provide progress on the testing activities.
Visit official site: QMetry
Through this article, we have learned about various Agile Testing Tools and their key features.
The list is not limited but includes many other tools which are used based on the project requirement and project budget.
=>> Contact us to suggest listing here