Test Management encompasses anything and everything that we do as testers. Our day-to-day activities include:
- Creating and maintaining release /project cycle /component information
- Creating and maintaining the test artifacts specific to each release /cycle that we have- requirements, test cases, etc.
- Establishing traceability and coverage between the test assets
- Test execution support – test suite creation, test execution status capture, etc.
- Metric collection/report-graph generation for analysis
- Bug tracking/defect management
The above are broadly some of the tasks that involve what we call, the test management process. This process is critical, detail-oriented and instrumental is making sure that the entire testing effort is successful.
Well, the good news is, there is help available. Through this article we will try to introduce ourselves to the most commonly available tools for the test management process briefly. Here is the comparison of top test management software.
=>> Let us know if you want to add any other tool in this list.
List of the Most Prominent Test Management Tools
It’s no surprise why qTest is the #1 test management tool amongst Agile testing & QA teams. qTest provides software testing and development teams with an easy to learn, easy to use, lightening fast, scalable test management that seamlessly integrates with JIRA, other ALMs and automation tools. qTest has proven to make every step of the QA process faster, simpler and more efficient:
Manage Requirements, Test case repository, Test Execution, Defect Tracking, Reporting, and Integrations.
qTest is one of fastest growing test management solutions on the market today amongst Agile testing and development teams. Be sure to add it to your short list of test management tools to trial
Visit qTest website – Try qTest test management free
An entirely SaaS end-to-end QA and Agile friendly Test management tool. Using their unique and customizable filters you can efficiently organize your requirements, create and run tests, track bugs and generate reports using this tool. It integrates seamlessly with leading bug tracking tools like JIRA, Pivotal tracker, Bugzilla, and Redmine as well as various automation tools such as Selenium, Jenkins etc. However, their API can ensure further customizing for your process’ needs.
It is not open sourced but is quite affordable. You can benefit from their human methodological support throughout your usage.
Visit PractiTest website: For more features and pricing information, check: http://www.practitest.com/
Zephyr is a leading provider of on-demand, real-time test management solutions, offering innovative applications, seamless integrations and unparalleled, real-time visibility into the quality and status of software projects. Zephyr products are the fastest-growing agile test management products in the world, with more than 9000 global customers in over 100 countries.
Their feature-rich products address today’s dynamic and global needs across a variety of industries including finance, healthcare, media, mobile, IT services, and enterprise software.
Visit Zephyr website: To learn more or download a FREE Trial of Zephyr for JIRA (available on Server and Cloud).
4) Test Collab:
Test Collab is a modern test management tool which offers complete platform for your application’s testing. It offers state-of-the-art integration with all popular bug trackers and test automation tools. Apart from that, it offers time tracking, agile methodology, requirements management, test plans and scheduling.
Visit Test Collab website for free trial and more info: http://testcollab.com/
5) TestFLO for JIRA
TestFLO is JIRA add-on providing comprehensive test management process into JIRA due to reusable Repository of Test Cases allowing for rapid Test Plan creation and copying. TestFLO supports flexible configurations for Agile Teams and Projects, smoothly integrates with defects and requirements providing broad traceability metrics and extensive reporting including all JIRA metrics and statistics. TestFLO integrates with CI tools like Jenkins or Bamboo for automated tests allowing you to run tests from JIRA and publish test results in real-time.
Visit TestFLO webesite: For more features and free trial, check TestFLO website.
XQual delivers one of the most advanced/complete Test Management solutions for a very light pricing. From this unique tool, you’ll be able to manage not less than your releases, requirements, risks, specifications, tests, campaigns and bugs.
It can be integrated with all the continuous integration platforms and it can drive ANY kind of test: 5 different interfaces for manual testing and nearly 70 connectors for all the best automation frameworks on the market: Selenium, QTP/UFT, JMeter, Ranorex, TestComplete, JUnit, NUnit, TestPartner, Sahi, NeoLoad, QF-Test, RobotFramework, Sikuli, SoapUi, Squish, TestNg, TestOptimal and many more. It includes an internal requirement and bug-tracking management module but it can be integrated with many third-party requirement or bug-tracking systems (i.e. JIRA, Clearquest, Mantis etc.).
Try it for one month here: http://www.xqual.com
Powered by Gera-IT company, TestCaseLab is a web-based case management tool released in April 2016. You may easily manage your manual test cases, apply and modify different properties, gather them in test plans and form test runs in one single location. It has the full set of required features wrapped into the great user interface. Supported integrations: JIRA, Redmine, Pivotal tracker.
Competitive pricing plans and absence of plaguesome quantitive limitations will let you easily start your activities and boost the performance of your QA team.
Visit TestCaseLab website: TestCaseLab
QAComplete is a powerful, flexible test management tool that helps users easily manage requirements, tests and defects all in one place. The tool is easy to use, and provides a central hub to manage and report on all of your tests – manual, Selenium, TestComplete, SoapUI and more!
It is customizable enough to fit into any development process, from Waterfall to Agile, and integrates tightly with the project management and workflow tools you already use, such as Jira, Bugzilla, Visual Studio and more.
Visit QAComplete website: QAComplete
QACoverage is a cost-effective, new generation test management solution with innovative vision and workflow to manage Software Test Life Cycles more effectively and efficiently. It boosts test productivity and provides visibility to better handle and control your established QA process via comprehensive Agile, Requirements Management, Test Design, Test Execution, Defects Management, and Metrics & Reporting modules.
QACoverage is not only a Test Management Solution but a collaborative platform that integrates the entire IT Department throughout the Software Development Life Cycle from requirements inception to application production readiness in order to achieve superior quality.
Visit QACoverage Website: Try a free 30 days trial of QA Coverage.
JIRA is tool that makes an appearance anytime there is a discussion on any-management process- for all the right reasons. JIRA has 2 add-ons that support the test management process.
a) Zephyr: All the aspects that you would expect of a typical tool of this type are supported. You can create tests/test suites/test cycles/bugs/reports and so on. You could have an additional add-on, ZAPI for automation integration. Along with the initial JIRA license you would have to pay for Zephyr to use it. ($10 for 10 users a month). There is a free trail available too. Check out information about it at: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.thed.zephyr.je
b) Go2Group SynapseRT: This tool has all the test management features but the primary focus is on requirement based testing. It can be used for projects where it makes more sense to track your progress in terms of the completion and/or success-failure of a certain requirement as opposed to test cases. Traceability is of higher priority with this add-on. Along with the initial JIRA license you would have to pay for this add-on too. ($10 for 10 users a month). There is a free trail available at: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.go2group.jira.plugin.synapse
TestRail is a centralized test case management tool – you can use it to create test cases and test suites, track execution and report metrics. Additionally, it integrates with many issue tracking tools that makes requirements from external systems to be linked to test cases in TestRail; bugs can also be created in the external systems and links can be established to the corresponding test case. It comes with a HTTP-based API to integrate with the automated test results. One most common integration is with Gemini, which is a incident/ticket management system(supports agile too). It is a commercial product with a free trial available at: http://www.gurock.com/testrail/
This is a comprehensive test case management tool that has 4 key aspects – Test Plan, requirements, Test suites/cases and test runs. So, as you can see, it has everything it needs to be able to manage test cases for you. For all the other operations, it integrates with the many main stream incident/issue management tools to provide a comprehensive solution. It is a commercial product, for a free trial visit: http://www.testlodge.com/
13) HP ALM/Quality center:
HP QC has been one of the most used test management software for many years. It has all the features necessary and in many ways, it is the standard against which the other tools are measured. Even though it is one of the high-end tools, economically, it still remains to be very popular. Check out http://www8.hp.com/in/en/software-solutions/software.html?compURI=1172141 for trial and other information.
QMetry is a total test management tool that you can use to create requirements, test cases (test suites) that can be run on multiple platforms and defects. It integrates seamlessly with many leading bug-tracking and automation environments making a good candidate for use in most situations. It is a commercial product, with a 30 day free trial available. Visit the site for more information at: http://www.qmetry.com/
Testuff is Saas Test Management tool that has many cool features. The typical test case management features are a given. Besides that, it has a cool video upload capability for a defect. Integrates with a huge list of bug-trackers, some of which are, Bugzilla, JIRA, YouTrack, Mantis among others. It has an API that supports automation tools like QTP, Rational Robot, Selenium, TestComplete etc. Best of all, it is very affordable. Check out the features and pricing information at: http://www.testuff.com/
One of the key components of this tool is supporting ‘Testing & QA’ along with the other aspects like Project Planning, issue tracking etc. Using this tool you could create test plans, test cases, test runs, traceability, test run reports etc. There are also various integrations and extensions available. It is a commercial product with a free starter pack available at: http://www.countersoft.com/solutions/testing/
This is one of the very few open source test management tools available for use in the market. It is a web- based tool with typical features like, requirement management, test case creation and maintenance, test runs, tracking bugs, reports, integration with common issue trackers etc. To download, visit: http://sourceforge.net/projects/testlink/
18) Silk Central:
This is a test management product by Borland. Once you have Silk Central with you there is a nothing left for you to ask for anything else. It is robustness personified, though it is pricey. All the features for coverage, traceability, reporting, test creation, running – it has got them. It integrates with many source control and issue tracking system. There are additional plug-ins to extend its capabilities to automation testing using QTP, WinRunner etc. It comes with a video capture feature and supports SAP testing. This product is really cool. Try it at: http://www.borland.com/products/silkcentral/
19) IBM Rational Quality Manager:
A test Management product that has all the typical features – Test planning, test design, test execution, tracking and reporting. It integrates with many of the rational products for automation, source control and bug tracking activities. It is a commercial product. Check out its features, pricing and other information at: http://www-03.ibm.com/software/products/en/ratiqualmana
The below are some more tools that are worth mentioning:
20) VersionOne: A commercial product primarily catering to agile projects, this has a test management module along with planning, reporting and others, with all the typical features. Check out: http://www.versionone.com/product/agile-test-management/
21) TestPad: This tool’s motto is “Spend more time actually testing”. The primary concept of this tool is – checklists. In your test plan you could have a series of checklists (tests) that can be as detailed or as short as possible. It is perfect for exploratory testing. It is commercial and you can try it at: https://ontestpad.com/
22) Aptest: a web based, commercial product that has all the typical features you would expect along with the typical integrations with issue trackers. http://www.aptest.com/atm2/
23) SpiraTest: A complete QA solution is what this product is. Instead of having your requirements, tests, defects in separate systems, this tool has it all in one place. It integrates with unit and automation testing frameworks among other things. It is commercial, though not very expensive. https://www.inflectra.com/SpiraTest/Default.aspx
24) Meliora TestLab: This is a simple to use product for requirement management, test-creating & running, defect management, workflow optimization, and integration with JIRA etc. Commercial again, check it out at: https://www.melioratestlab.com/
25) SmarteQM: A complete life cycle management tool that provides the complete end-to-end test process support and integrates with other SmartSoft functional test tools. It is web based and commercial. http://www.smartesoft.com/products_smarteQM.php
26) Test Run: a web based commercial test management process that is easy and simple to use. It has all that you need to create test plans, execute them successfully and report. Integrates with JIRA and LightHouse. http://runtestrun.com/
27) Test Wave: A test management tool that needs no installation, is web based, simple and commercial (affordable). This tool provides you a facility to import your already existing requirements/test assets from excel sheets. It also comes with an inbuilt defect tracker http://www.testwave.co.uk/
28) Enterprise Tester: This test management tool supports both agile and traditional projects. Integrates with JIRA and also works great for automation testing with QTP, Selenium, RFT etc. This is a really cool commercial tool. Check it out at: http://enterprisetester.com/
29) TestLog: A very comprehensive end-to-end test management tool that is easy to install and configure due to its XML database. It allows documentation of both automation and manual test cases. It also comes with a web interface for remote access. This product is commercial too. http://www.testlog.com/
30) QaTraq: An open source test process control tool that can be used to create test cases, running them, recording results etc. http://sourceforge.net/projects/qatraq/
Points to note:
Well, from the above list two things are apparent:
- There are not many open source tools of this type available, although most of them are still affordable.
- Most of the tools just provide test case management and leave the bug tracking to be integrated via an external tool. (A smart choice, if you ask me. Otherwise, all of us would be stuck reinventing the wheel.)
Even though we put up a big list, we realize that we could not have included every tool available. Share your experiences with the test management tools – both the ones that made it to the list and those which did not- with us below.
Thanks to Swati S. for helping us review these best tools.
We hope this list comes in handy to you when in search for a tool that fits your needs and we can’t wait to hear your comments, suggestions, additions, and of course, appreciations. :)
=>> Let us know if you want to add any other tool in this list.