Review of the Top ETL Job Schedulers for you to pick the best ETL Job Scheduling Software to schedule & automate the execution of different business and IT processes:
You’d be mistaken to think that bigger databases mean better-performing businesses. A successful business knows how to leverage its data. Such businesses have a better competitive advantage as they usually succeed in accomplishing desired business outcomes and satisfying customers.
Needless to say, streamlining the data management process is essential for any data-driven company.
To ensure this is the case, companies must automate and schedule their ETL processes. This is best achieved with the help of ETL job scheduling software, the best of which we’ll be reviewing in detail in this comprehensive article.
A good ETL tool will help you automate and schedule tasks. As all ETL tools do, they’ll help you extract data from various sources, transform it into various formats, and load it into a variety of data warehouses. One area where ETL tools really shine is job scheduling.
What You Will Learn:
- ETL Job Scheduling Software – Complete Review
- FAQs on ETL Job Scheduling Tools
- List of Best ETL Job Scheduling Software
ETL Job Scheduling Software – Complete Review
This is a service that most ETL Job Scheduling Software offer to schedule and automate the execution of different business and IT processes. A reliable job scheduler helps companies save time and prevent errors by automating redundant tasks and refining workflow quality.
In this article on ETL Job Scheduling Software, we’ll be recommending top such solutions that feature the best ETL and job scheduling capabilities.
Who is this article for?
This article will recommend solutions that cater to the specific needs of various organizations, regardless of their scale and type. Both small and large enterprises will find the information very helpful. The tools listed below are particularly useful for IT departments, operations teams, and business users.
Simply put, an individual, team, or organization that wishes to streamline their business and IT processes will benefit from this article.
How are the Best ETL Job Scheduling Software for this List selected
I came across a massive list of ETL solutions in my research. To narrow it down to a short and comprehensive list of tools that I personally consider to be best, I had to base my opinion on a few key factors.
These factors are discussed:
- Usability: Simplicity was the primary parameter that the tool had to meet to become a part of my list. I wanted an interface that was easy to use and catered to non-technical users just as they did technical users. It should be easy to navigate and allow you to easily create and customize workflows.
- Scalability: I wanted the tool to upgrade itself to meet a growing business’s demands. The tool should be capable of handling large volumes of data. I set about looking for tools that were highly scalable while not compromising on service quality.
- Security: ETL solutions deal with a lot of data. So it only makes sense for them to come equipped with solid security features. They should protect sensitive data and prevent unauthorized access with the help of data encryption, role-based access controls, etc.
- Extensibility: I wanted ETL solutions to support a broad range of data sources. As your business scales, the solution should be able to add new data sources. The software should be compatible with other third-party tools via API, webhooks, and other software.
- Reliability: I thoroughly checked the SLA agreement and assessed what uptime each tool guaranteed. I ensured that the data these tools extracted was accurate and done promptly to determine whether they can be considered stable and reliable.
- Batch and Stream Processing: Some ETL tools perform batch extractions from data sources. Others perform stream processing from real-time events. Understand what your specific needs are to determine whether or not a tool will meet your requirements.
- Customer Support: There is a good chance that users will find themselves stuck during the set-up or initial configuration, even if the tool is easy to use and features a good UI. So customer support needs to be responsive. I carefully assessed the support channels for each tool provided (email, help desk, phone support, chatbot) to determine whether they offer good support.
- Pricing: Most ETL solutions do not disclose their pricing. You’ll need to contact the tool’s team, discuss your requirements, and only then do they offer you a quote that’s customized according to your needs. For me, I wanted the price to be reasonably affordable. The pricing structure itself needs to be flexible for a tool to make it to the list.
Suggested Read =>> Comparison of the Top Enterprise Job Scheduling Software
- First and foremost, understand why your organization needs an ETL job scheduler.
- Understand whether the tool offers features that meet your organization’s specific needs.
- You want to go with a vendor that enjoys a good reputation in the industry.
- Preferably go with a vendor that has a substantial amount of positive reviews online.
- Compare one tool with the other based on functionality, usability, features, and price.
- Go with a vendor that adheres to a flexible pricing structure and is transparent about pricing. Do not compromise on quality for a cheaper quote.
FAQs on ETL Job Scheduling Tools
Q #1) What is a job scheduler used for?
Answer: A job scheduler has a straightforward process. The software is used to automate the performance of tasks. This way the tasks are automatically performed at a specific time or interval based on an event or trigger. Job Schedulers help define, schedule, and execute jobs. Doing so saves businesses a lot of time and reduces workflow creation mistakes.
Q #2) What is ETL’s full form?
Answer: ETL refers to Extract, Transform, and Load. An ETL tool will extract data from relevant sources, transform it into a format that’s desired, and then load it to an analytical tool for further analysis. An ETL scheduler creates events that take place at a set time. The event could be something as trivial as a dashboard refresh to load new data.
ETL scheduling essentially involves the automating and scheduling of tasks that are involved in the data extraction, transformation, and loading process.
Q #3) Why is ETL scheduling important?
Answer: There are three reasons that explain why ETL scheduling is so imperative. These tools can help with the following:
- Setting up a schedule for the automatic execution of ETL jobs.
- Setting up a frequency that states how many times an ETL process should be executed
- Set up alerts that inform users of job failure, completion, or other issues that can arise.
Q #4) Can ETL be real-time?
Answer: Yes, it can be. Perhaps the best and most affordable way to achieve real-time data integration is through a solution that facilitates high-performance data replication and loading.
Q #5) What is ETL Testing?
Answer: ETL testing refers to a process that ensures that data has been extracted from reliable sources, transferred appropriately, and loaded in the correct format. ETL testing is necessary to assess the quality of data going through the ETL process. This process is essential in identifying duplicate, incorrect, and missing data.
List of Best ETL Job Scheduling Software
Here is the top list of Software for ETL Job Scheduling to consider:
- Redwood RunMyJobs
- Tidal Automation
- IBM DataStage
- Talend Open Studio
- Informatica PowerCenter
- Pentaho Data Integration
Comparing Some of the Top ETL Job Scheduling Solutions
|ActiveBatch||Centralized Workload Automation and Job Scheduling||On-premises, Cloud-hosted, & Hybrid||24/7 live rep, chat, phone support, email support, FAQ, knowledge base, managed file transfer suite||Job Scheduling, Workload Automation, Real-time monitoring|
|Redwood RunMyJobs||Cloud-Native ETL Job Scheduling For Enterprises||SaaS, On-premises, Cloud-based & Hybrid||24x7 support, full SaaS implementation, guaranteed uptime, unlimited connections||Job monitoring, workflow automation, dependency management|
|Tidal Automation||Centralized management of enterprise workloads||On-premises, Cloud-based & Hybrid||Chatbot, Help Desk, Email support.||Visual workflow designers, Job dependency management, compliance-based security|
|IBM DataStage||AI-Powered Data Integration||Cloud-Hosted||Email, Help Desk||Data Governance, visual data integration UI, parallel processing|
|Talend Open Studio||Open-source data integration||Cloud-hosted||Chat, Email support||Error Handling, Visual job design, Strong integration|
Best for Centralized Workload Automation and Job Scheduling.
ActiveBatch is a versatile job scheduler that facilitates a variety of scheduling options. You can use the platform to schedule jobs based on resources, events, and time. These options will make the execution of jobs very efficient and flexible.
Functionality: Another area where this tool impressed me was job dependency management. It is very easy to define complex workflows and processes between various processes and jobs using ActiveBatch.
Users also benefit from ActiveBatch’s scalable nature. Managing thousands of jobs and workflows simultaneously with the platform is extremely simple. Depending on the workload, you can scale up or down.
Usability: The software comes equipped with a drag-and-drop workflow designer. This interface makes the job designing workflows very simple. On the other hand, defining dependencies and triggers is as easy as a walk in the park. You’ll have no issues scheduling jobs.
The software features excellent monitoring and alerting capabilities. As such, you’ll be able to proactively monitor job execution, identify failures, and take the right actions.
ActiveBatch also offers a rich set of development tools and APIs that can help in creating custom job steps, scripts, and extensions. The software truly excels when it comes to customization and extensibility.
How to use ActiveBatch Job Scheduler:
- Navigate to the ‘Scheduling’ section on the ActiveBatch Interface.
- Create a New Schedule.
- Assign the new schedule to a Job.
- Set the frequency. It can be daily, weekly, or custom. Also, set the start time and recurrence pattern.
- Proceed to save the schedule.
- Once saved, ActiveBatch will execute the job automatically based on the schedule you’ve defined.
- Job Scheduling: ActiveBatch facilitates event-based, time-based, and resource-based job scheduling. The software makes it very simple to define dependencies that connect jobs and processes. This allows the software to automate complex workflows.
- Workload Automation: This is a platform one can use to create and manage end-to-end workflows. The job of creating visual workflows is made easier with a drag-and-drop interface. All I had to do was define conditions and dependencies to automate the workflows.
- Real-Time Monitoring: The software offers robust monitoring and alerting features, which keep users notified about the performance of jobs in real-time. It is very easy to set up and configure alerts. These alerts will then proactively detect and respond to failures or other critical events.
- Reporting and Analytics: The reports provided by ActiveBatch give you actionable insights into the performance of your jobs. You’ll be able to easily identify trends, track key metrics, and optimize workflows.
- Enterprise Scheduler Service: This is a centralized management console that ActiveBatch offers its users. Via this console, users can control and configure all aspects of their job scheduling tasks from a single interface.
Why I picked ActiveBatch?
ActiveBatch impressed me with its comprehensive workload automation and job scheduling capabilities. It is highly scalable, features a user-friendly interface, and makes the task of simplifying and managing complex business processes look considerably simple.
- ActiveBatch is highly scalable. It can easily handle enterprise-scale workloads.
- The platform comes equipped with robust security features that protect sensitive data and assure controlled access.
- The platform integrates seamlessly with BI tools, cloud platforms, databases, ERPs, and file systems.
- UI can be simple.
Verdict: Robust, feature-rich, and efficient, are qualities I’ve come to admire in ActiveBatch. This is a reliable and powerful job scheduling software that people can use to optimize their operational efficiency and manage complex workflows.
Price: ActiveBatch pricing is based on the number of job runs and they don’t charge extra for higher CPU or core counts.
#2) Redwood RunMyJobs
Best for cloud-native ETL Job Scheduling.
RunMyJob is yet another ETL job scheduler that floored me with its efficiency and reliability. Like ActiveBatch, RunMyJobs too can handle high-volume workloads quite effectively.
Functionality: You get an extensive library of templates and wizards, which you can leverage to schedule and run event-driven workflows.
You can run or even schedule processes based on real-time events, data, or messages in a bid to facilitate time-critical applications. You are also afforded to privilege to schedule across multiple time zones and daylight-saving rules.
You can draw patterns from virtually any time and date window. Alternatively, you can leverage perpetual calendars that don’t need updating.
Usability: Perhaps the best aspect of Redwood’s RunMyJobs is the low-code UI itself. The drag-and-drop graphical editor lets you create jobs in a matter of minutes. You also have the option to create or choose from a wide range of calendars, steps, and sequences. You’ll be able to reuse and share these elements across multiple processes.
How to use Redwood RunMyJobs Scheduler:
- In the RunMyJobs Interface, define job definitions for the tasks you wish to automate.
- Create job flows once the job definitions are set. This means you are defining the sequence of jobs that need to be executed in order.
- Once the job flow has been created, you can proceed to schedule the job to run at specific intervals or times. You can set start time, recurrence patterns, and frequency for the job flows
- You can track and monitor the performance of your jobs in real time via the RunMyJobs dashboard.
Here is the video tutorial:
- Dependency Management: You can easily define dependencies between various jobs and job flows. It is also very easy to specify conditions that determine when a job should start and what specific criteria should trigger it.
- Workflow Automation: Workflows can be automated by defining dependencies and sequences of the jobs. This essentially means that RunMyJobs can streamline complex business processes.
- Job Monitoring: RunMyJobs features excellent real-time job monitoring and alerting capabilities. From tracking the status of jobs to being alerted about job failures or completion, the tool lets you proactively monitor all crucial activities.
- Error Handling: Define actions to be taken when a particular job fails. The error-handling capabilities of this tool considerably reduce the need for manual intervention.
- Advanced Reporting: The platform offers robust reporting and analytics. You get both predefined reports and also have the privilege of creating custom reports to track the performance and execution of jobs.
Why I picked Redwood RunMyJobs?
Like ActiveBatch, I found Redwood RunMyJobs to be feature-rich, robust, and versatile in its core job scheduling functionality. It won me over with efficient workflow automation, flexible scheduling, and real-time monitoring capabilities.
- RunMyJobs offers Advanced Job Scheduling features. You’ll be able to schedule jobs based on event triggers, recurring patterns, and specific times.
- You’ll be able to track the progress and status of your jobs in real-time. You’ll also receive alerts about job completion or failure in real time.
- You can define actions to be taken for the automatic handling of jobs when they fail.
- The platform protects sensitive data and prevents unauthorized access by establishing role-based access controls
- The setup process can be time-consuming, especially for beginners. You may need some technical expertise.
Verdict: If you are looking for a job scheduler that can handle high-volume workloads, and efficiently automate complex business as well as IT processes, then you’ll adore Redwood RunMyJobs.
Price: Redwood offers simple, usage-based pricing. Easily scale with licensing that’s based on the number of jobs you run, not job definitions.
Further Reading =>> Redwood RunMyJobs alternatives with features
#3) Tidal Automation
Best for centralized management of enterprise workloads.
With Tidal, you get a platform that shines in three key aspects. This includes job scheduling, orchestration, and monitoring.
Functionality: The software can be used to seamlessly manage hundreds and thousands of jobs simultaneously. So just like ActiveBatch and RunMyJobs, Tidal can also come in handy when handling mission-critical and high-volume workloads.
It is also as efficient as its counterparts when it comes to scheduling. You can rely on Tidal to schedule jobs based on specific event-based triggers, execution times, recurring patterns, and dependencies. Defining the relationship between jobs and job flows is also very simple with Tidal.
Usability: Like ActiveBatch, Tidal also offers a workflow design interface, which takes the hassle out of creating and customizing workflows. The software doesn’t demand its users to be technically proficient. The interface itself takes care of workflow creation and job scheduling on behalf of its users.
Tidal arms you with all the tools you need to ensure jobs are executed correctly and in the required order. Tidal also facilitates performance monitoring and alerts in real-time. You can configure the alerts to get notified of issues as soon as they transpire. In addition to that, you’ll have a support team to assist you 24/7 whenever you are stuck with the tool.
How to use Tidal:
- Set job definitions by adding details such as job name, description, dependency, etc.
- Link Job definitions together with their dependencies to create workflows.
- Once you’ve defined the jobs and workflows, schedule them so they can run at a set time and interval.
- You can monitor the progress and status of your Job via the Tidal dashboard.
Here is the video tutorial:
- Visual Workflow Design: Design workflows with a visual drag-and-drop builder. The visual interface is ideal for beginners with no coding language.
- Dependency Management: Easily manage dependency between jobs and processes. You can easily define conditions and relationships that trigger the execution of a job in the order you want.
- Comprehensive Job Monitoring: Get better visibility into system performance and job execution. Track the status of jobs and view log files from a single dashboard.
- Compliance-based Security: The platform helps you establish role-based controls, encryption, and secure connections. The software helps you comply with frameworks like HIPAA, DSS, and PCI.
- Customization: The software helps you create custom scripts, job steps, and extensions. The software also supports extensibility via APIs and scripting languages.
Why I picked Tidal?
Tidal offers advanced scheduling features, excels at workload automation, and is further bolstered by visual workflow design. Plus, the platform can integrate seamlessly with more than 60 third-party applications.
- The software’s highly scalable. It can easily handle enterprise-level workloads.
- The visual workflow design interface makes it easier to manage and create workflows. This also makes the software ideal for beginners with no coding language.
- The software can integrate seamlessly with 60+ tools. This includes databases, ERPs, cloud platforms, file servers, etc.
- Some users may find it tough to navigate through its documentation.
Verdict: Tidal is a great enterprise-grade workload automation software. It particularly excels with its time and event-based scheduling capabilities and its impressive visual workflow designer interface.
Price: Tidal provides flexible pricing designed for your organization’s specific requirements. Complete the form to get a quote based on your custom configuration.
#4) IBM DataStage
Best for AI-Powered Data Integration.
IBM DataStage arms you with all the tools you need to efficiently extract, transform, and load large volumes of data.
Functionality: The software can help large organizations handle massive amounts of data. It comes built on a parallel processing architecture, which makes it ideal for managing demanding data integration tasks.
The software also makes it considerably simpler to design and execute complex data integration workflows. Like the best job schedulers out there, DataStage too allows you to easily define dependencies between jobs, schedule jobs to run based on triggers and handle the overall execution of set workflows.
Usability: It features a drag-and-drop workflow designer, which is best suited for creating and customizing data integration jobs. It is highly configurable. The UI features some readily accessible mechanisms that you can configure to take care of certain issues automatically.
For instance, you get a mechanism to handle data errors as and when they occur. The software also offers comprehensive monitoring and reporting features. You can count on these features to track the status of job execution as well as view logs or proactively address certain issues as and when they arise.
How to use IBM DataStage:
- Open the DataStage designer to start creating your jobs.
- Open DataStage Director to create a new job sequencer. Here, you’ll need to determine in which order the jobs need to be executed.
- In the Job Sequencer, select start time, recurrence pattern, and frequency.
- Specify dependencies, if any, that exist between jobs.
- Once job dependencies and schedules are configured, save the Job Sequencer.
- To execute a scheduled job, simply run the Job Sequencer from the DataStage Director.
- ETL Functionality: The software allows you to extract data from multiple sources. The extracted data can then be transformed using defined rules and logic before loading it into target systems.
- Parallel Processing: The tool features Parallel Processing tech, which can be leveraged to distribute data processing tasks across multiple computing resources. This considerably optimizes performance and reduces processing time.
- Visual Data Integration Design: You get a visual drag-and-drop interface that can be used to design data integration workflows. This interface made it convenient for me when I used the tool to create and customize data integration jobs.
- Monitoring Dashboard: With DataStage, you get robust monitoring and reporting features. The software arms you with a dashboard that lets you monitor job performance and track job execution.
- Data Governance: The software facilitates both data governance and metadata management. The solution enables data profiling, version control, and impact analysis for effective data governance and compliance.
Why I picked IBM DataStage?
Having spent a lot of time on IBM DataStage, I found the tool to be robust and comprehensive, especially when it comes to data integration and ETL. The software stands apart because of its high scalability, broad connectivity, and visual job-designing interface.
- The software is known for its high scalability. It can easily process massive amounts of data efficiently.
- DataStage supports a broaching range of data sources and targets. The software comes equipped with built-in connectors and adapters.
- The software offers a plethora of external libraries and tools for custom coding and integration.
- The learning curve for IBM DataStage can be steep. Also, some users may find the tool very hard to set up and configure.
Verdict: IBM DataStage is a tool that shines as feature-rich data integration and ETL solution. This is a tool I won’t mind recommending to organizations who wish to handle large-data integration projects.
Price: IBM DataStage adheres to a flexible pricing structure that entails the following plans:
- DataStage as a Service
- DataStage Enterprise
- DataStage Enterprise Plus
- DataStage on premises.
You’ll need to contact the IBM DataStage team to get a custom quote.
Website: IBM DataStage
#5) Talend Open Studio
Best for open source data integration.
Talend Open Studio is widely recognized amongst its users for being a robust open-source data integration. However, it didn’t take me long to acknowledge its equally impressive job scheduling features.
Functionality: For starters, the software offers a boatload of features that all work together seamlessly to enable impeccable job scheduling.
You’ll be able to define schedules based on intervals, specific times, events, and other triggers. I also found the solution to be highly flexible. As such, I believe you’ll be able to configure it according to your business’s requirements.
Usability: Its Job Scheduling capabilities are further bolstered by a solid graphical interface. This interface makes the task of designing and scheduling jobs very convenient.
You’ll be able to create jobs, define dependencies, and trigger workflows, all from a single visual interface. The software also helps you create complex data integration workflows. This is largely because you get to define dependencies easily based on the successful execution of other jobs.
- Visual Job Design: The tool features a graphical interface that makes the task of creating and scheduling jobs very simple. Users get everything they need to visually design a job or set dependencies on this interface.
- Job Dependency Management: You’ll be able to easily define decencies between jobs. This will help you determine in what order the jobs need to be executed.
- Strong Integration: The software integrates seamlessly with version control systems like Subversion and Git. These integrations enable proper versioning.
- Extensibility: The software’s functionality can be further extended using Java or other scripting languages. It also supports custom coding.
- Error Handling: The tool features robust error-managing capabilities. You can define actions that will be taken automatically if a particular job fails.
Why I picked Talend Open Studio?
Talend Open Studio probably has one of the best graphical user interfaces out there. This makes the tool very intuitive when it comes to job creation and scheduling. It is also highly customizable. You also have access to an active community of users and developers that are ready to support you when necessary.
- The software supports a broad range of data sources, platforms, and applications. It also supports seamless integration to other file systems, databases, and cloud-based systems via built-in connectors.
- You get extensive customer support via a knowledge base, forums, tutorials, and comprehensive documentation.
- The software can easily orchestrate end-to-end processes. It is particularly ideal for supporting large-scale data integration jobs.
- The software’s primarily designed for batch-oriented data integration. It isn’t as optimized as I would like it to be to handle complex real-time data integrations like some of the other tools on this list can.
Verdict: Talend Open Studio is a great data integration tool that considerably simplifies the job scheduling process. It is extensible, customizable, and features an impeccable graphical user interface.
Price: Talend Open Studio offers custom pricing plans based on the organization’s specific requirements. You’ll need to call the team to get a custom quote. However, the software’s free to download to perform first data integration and ETL projects.
Website: Talend Open Studio
#6) Informatica PowerCenter
Best for Data Integration and Excellent Data Governance.
Informatica PowerCenter is a tool that distinguishes itself from its contemporaries on this list with its unique ability to manage, transform, and integrate data across various sources.
Functionality: Like other great job schedulers on this list, PowerCenter was designed to handle large volumes of data and handle complex data integration processes.
It features an architecture that’s highly scalable and can be deployed easily across multiple servers for convenient distribution of processing load. This also makes the software great for optimizing the task of resource utilization. PowerCenter is further bolstered by its parallel processing capabilities, which facilitate agile data transformation and loading.
Usability: The software’s UI is also very intuitive without being confusing. It is very easy to navigate and I had no issues performing tasks on the platform. This interface significantly simplifies the process of creating and managing workflows, transformations, and mappings.
- Data Manipulation: The software allows its users to manipulate and transform data according to their specific requirements. It facilitates complex transformations such as data sorting, filtering, aggregation, etc.
- Metadata Management: The software is ideal for lineage tracking and data governance. It can capture and store metadata about transformations, mappings, and source systems.
- Workflow Management: The software allows you to define complex data integration workflows. Plus, you can schedule them to be performed at a specific time and interval.
- Data Quality Management: The software comes pre-quipped with features that assure the integrity of data remains intact throughout the integration process. The software also facilitates data validation, data standardization, and data cleansing tasks.
- Broad Connectivity: The solution offers extensive connectivity options. It supports APIs and various industry-standard protocols.
Why I picked Informatica PowerCenter?
There’s a lot I like about PowerCenter. What stands out to me about it is its scalability, user-friendly UI, workflow management, and data quality features. I believe the tool is quite efficient in managing both complex data integration and ETL processes.
- The software is highly scalable and can easily handle large amounts of data. It is ideal for handling massive data integration processes.
- It comes with a user-friendly interface. The software is easy to navigate and allows you to create and customize workflows without any coding knowledge.
- It comes with built-in data profiling capabilities, which can help you analyze a data source’s quality and also identify data anomalies, if any.
- The software is primarily designed for batch processing. So users seeking real-time processing capabilities will be disappointed.
Verdict: Informatica PowerCenter is powerful and feature-rich. It is one of those data integration tools that I would recommend to users who want a hassle-free experience when managing, transforming, and integrating data.
Price: Informatica PowerCenter features a custom quote-based pricing policy. I suggest giving the Informatica team a call to get a clear quote based on your organization’s specific requirements.
Website: Informatica PowerCenter
#7) Pentaho Data Integration
Best for handling complex data transformation.
Also known as Kettle, Pentaho Data Integration is a widely-revered and powerful open-source ETL solution. This is yet another tool that’s truly exceptional when it comes to transforming, managing, and integrating data efficiently.
Functionality: Like the best ETL tools that we’ve previously discussed, Pentaho also offers you a robust job orchestration module. The software arms you with all the tools you need to orchestrate complex workflows. The software enables conditional execution, error handling, scheduling, and looping functionalities.
Usability: The tool also features a user-friendly and graphical user interface. Its interface was specifically designed to help users orchestrate complex data integration workflows without the need for coding. So I would say that Pentaho is ideal for technical as well as non-technical users.
In addition to this, Pentaho also offers an extensive framework that facilitates custom integrations and data transformations.
- Extensive Connectivity: The platform is bolstered by a broad range of data sources and targets. This includes spreadsheets, databases, web services, flat files, etc.
- Extensive Transformation: You also get a comprehensive set of data transformation steps. This allows users to cleanse, aggregate, and transform their data.
- Data Governance: The platform comes with built-in data profiling capabilities that can be useful when assessing data integrity. The platform performs functions like data validation, cleansing, and de-duplication.
- Virtual Interface: The tool comes with a drag-and-drop virtual interface. This interface is useful for defining job triggers and dependencies as well as orchestrating complex workflows.
- The software’s highly versatile. It is capable of handling a broad range of data integration scenarios.
- Users of Pentaho benefit from support rendered by an active community of users and developers, a highlight of most open-source tools.
- The software integrates seamlessly with other components of the Pentaho suite like Pentaho Reporting and Pentaho Analytics.
- Although the basic functionality of Pentaho Data Integration is easy to grasp, some may find it challenging to deal with some of its advanced features.
- It is designed for batch processing. So it isn’t for users seeking tools for real-time processing.
Verdict: Pentaho Data Interface shines as a versatile and feature-rich data integration tool. The broad connectivity it offers and its virtual interface, both left a lasting impression on me. While it has its drawbacks, its extensive support and robust job orchestration capabilities do a good job of overshadowing them.
Price: You can download the tool and use it for free for the first 30 days. For the actual price, you’ll need to contact the Pentaho team.
Website: Pentaho Data Integration
Best for finding over 500+ ETL connectors
Portable is a solution that’s somewhat different from all the other platforms we’ve already discussed above. This is a solution I would recommend to users as an eCommerce store to purchase ETL connectors.
Functionality: Portable is a solution that is primarily focused on data replication. This solution adheres to the extract, transform, and lead architecture that facilitates data processing.
What I really admire is the data integration offered by Portable. When loading data into one’s analytics environment, you won’t need to deploy infrastructure, parse JSON, read the API documentation, and manage HTTP errors.
Usability: Portable mainly works as a SaaS solution that allows you to load data from APIs into ready-to-query schemas within your data warehouse. The software also offers automated error handling and exceptional notification functionality. You also get hands-on support.
- Process Automation: The platform can automate complex business and IT processes. The software helps you streamline workflows to remove manual tasks.
- Data Products: The platform arms users with the tools they need to create internal and external data to drive revenue.
- Analytical Dashboard: The platform offers an intuitive dashboard that features actionable insights. The dashboard can play an instrumental role in making strategies.
- Shop for ETL Connectors: The tool features a massive collection of ETL connectors. You’ll find application tracking systems, subscription billing platforms, marketing tools, etc.
- The platform supports the most common data warehouses. These include Google, BigQuery, PostgreSQL, Amazon Redshift, etc.
- Portable offers a flexible pricing structure. It charges you fixed and predictable prices whenever you wish to schedule a recurring data flow.
- The platform offers more than 500 ETL connectors that are hard to find. They’ll build the connectors for you on demand if you can’t find them.
- Portable is not at all suitable for teams that wish to extract data from common sources or need real-time data movement.
Verdict: Portable is a team that I would especially recommend for data teams. The tool shines as a SaaS tool that helps extract and load data from API. It also offers excellent process automation and analytical capabilities.
Price: Portable adheres to a flexible pricing structure. It offers such as the ones below:
- $200/month for a one-off scheduled data flows
- $1000/month for business automation
The platform can be used for free to extract data from any source and load it to any data warehouse.
Best for getting better control and visibility over workloads.
AutoSys is another in this long list of ETL tools that enables its users to automate, manage, and optimize their data integration processes.
Functionality: The solution offers its users a comprehensive set of integrations and connectors. This essentially means that you’ll be able to extract data from a variety of sources such as web services, APIs, databases, and flat files. The software supports both structured as well as unstructured data formats.
The software also supports a wide range of data transformation functions. The software empowers you to cleanse, aggregate and enrich data.
As such, you can count on the solution for advanced data transformation. It also offers customizable dashboards with accurate information on job statuses and performance metrics.
- Multi-Platform Scheduling: You’ll be able to visualize and manage business processes across multiple platforms from a single point of control.
- Extensive Application Support: The platform allows you to manage workloads for business applications such as PeopleSoft, Oracle E-Business, and SAP. This significantly reduces operating costs and increases visibility.
- Built-in Fault Tolerance: The software can be configured to respond to faults automatically. This allows you to complete jobs accurately and on time.
- Parallel Processing: The software supports parallel processing. This allows the platform to efficiently process data and quickly execute ETL workflows.
- The software supports a wide range of data sources. It is suitable for a diverse range of data integration scenarios.
- Maintain solid data integrity with excellent data governance and quality features.
- The software is highly scalable. It can process large volumes of data and handle high-demand integration tasks.
- The software facilitates efficient batch processing but the same cannot be said about real-time data integration scenarios.
- Users will need to go through a steep learning curve. So the tool may not be ideal for beginners or people who aren’t familiar with ETL tools.
Verdict: AutoSys is a comprehensive and powerful solution for data integration and automation. It streamlines data integration processes, is feature-rich, and is highly scalable.
Price: To buy the ETL Job Scheduling Software, you’ll need to get in touch with the AutoSys team. They’ll consider your specific requirements to offer you a quote that’s best suited for your organization.
Best for managing and optimizing Hadoop workflows.
Hadoop has emerged as a leading framework for processing bid data. It is also quite efficient as a job scheduler.
Functionality: Hadoop’s job scheduler facilitates reliable resource allocation. It does so by managing the assignment of computing resources such as CPU cores, disk I/O, and memory. The jobs are allocated based on their requirements optimizing cluster utilization and preventing resource contention.
As a good ETL Job Scheduling Software should, the software lets you easily define relationships and the orders between various tasks. You can also assign priorities to jobs based on their business requirements, deadlines, and importance.
Usability: The platform features a decent UI. It does, however, offer monitoring and reporting capabilities. The software also allows users to track the performance and status of jobs. Get detailed insights into cluster health, resource usage, and completion times. The dashboard also facilitates performance analysis and troubleshooting.
- Resource Management: The platform supports efficient resource allocation. It ensures that each job is allocated appropriate resources based on their specific requirements.
- Job Prioritization: You can assign priorities to jobs based on deadlines, importance, and business requirements. This feature is instrumental in helping businesses meet SLA requirements.
- Workload Balancing: The job scheduler ensures that all users and applications are assigned a fair share of the cluster resources. This feature prevents resource wastage and maximizes cluster throughput.
- Queuing: The software supports the submission of jobs in a queue and enables their execution on a priority basis. This feature promotes resource utilization.
- The software considerably optimizes resource allocation. It prevents resource underutilization and resource contention.
- Hadoop lets you allocate resources based on business-critical requirements and timely execution of critical tasks.
- The software’s highly scalable. Hadoop can easily handle the processing of large-scale data.
- A steep learning curve is installed. Some users may have a hard time configuring and setting up the solution
- The software does not offer real-time job management capabilities. You may find it challenging to handle time-sensitive jobs via this platform.
Verdict: Hadoop shines in three key areas, which convinced me to include it in my list. The software ensures competent resource allocation, improves overall cluster performance, and optimizes Hadoop workflows. The platform also improves job throughput and assures SLA compliance.
Price: The price isn’t revealed. So you’ll need to contact the Hadoop team for a clear quote.
In today’s digitally driven world, there isn’t a company that doesn’t rely on data. Some companies have to manage large volumes of it. This is why ETL tools that automate complex business and IT processes, have become so instrumental. ETL Job Scheduling Software helps IT and operations teams automate and schedule the execution of various processes.
Not only that, these ETL Job Scheduling Software solutions ensure that the execution of these processes is done at the right time, at the right event, and in the right order. All of the ETL Job Scheduling Software mentioned above do a good job of helping organizations accomplish this goal.
As for our recommendations on ETL Job Scheduling Software, we would suggest going with either Redwood RunMyJobs or ActiveBatch, especially if you are a large organization with a high volume of data to manage.
- We spent 14 hours researching and writing this article so you can have summarized and insightful information on which ETL Job Scheduling Software will best suit you.
- Total ETL Job Scheduling Software Researched: 35
- Total ETL Job Scheduling Software Shortlisted: 10