This tutorial compares the top Ethical Hacking Courses for beginners. Select the best online, free, or paid Hacking Course from this list:
Ethical hacking has proven itself to be quite a productive career option for many ambitious individuals. The demand for its courses today is at an all-time high, and rightfully so. It provides you with an engaging job that never gets tedious.
In this article, we are going to look at some of the most popular hacking courses that the industry has to offer. We’ll be going in-depth to explore their features, topics they cover, the duration of the course, and their price.
By the end of this article, you will have a mind impervious to doubt regarding which course better suits you and your career goals.
What You Will Learn:
- Who Is An Ethical Hacker
- List Of Ethical Hacking Courses
- Comparing Best Ethical Hacking Courses
- #1) Learn Ethical Hacking from Scratch (Udemy)
- #2) Ethical Hacking For Beginners Course (Udemy)
- #3) Cybersecurity For Managers: A Playbook (MIT Management Executive Education)
- #4) Hacking And Patching Certification By University Of Colorado (Coursera)
- #5) Learn Ethical Hacking Online–(LinkedIn)
- #6) Become An Ethical Hacker–(LinkedIn Learning)
- #7) The Complete Hacking Course: Beginner To Advanced (Udemy)
- #8) Penetration Testing And Ethical Hacking (Cybrary)
- #9) Ethical Hacking Course for Beginners and Experts (Pluralsight)
- #10) Cybersecurity Certification By University Of Maryland (Coursera)
Who Is An Ethical Hacker
Hacking is the process of finding vulnerabilities in the system and exploiting them to gain access to the information in the system. Needless to say, hacking is illegal and is punishable with serious fine amounts and prison time.
Ethical hacking, on the other hand, is hacking done with the permission of the system owner. Many big companies hire ethical hackers to hack into their systems, to find vulnerabilities in them and suggest recommended fixes. Ethical hacking is a remedy against actual malicious hacking by bad faith actors on the Internet.
The graph below shows the search trend for the term ‘Certified Ethical Hacker’ in Google between April 2019 to March 2020. You can see that the trend is consistent.
Pro Tip: Keep these tips in mind while you wrestle with your decisions:
- There are various fields in ethical hacking, choose your field of interest and opt for a course that covers it.
- Identify the perks being offered by each course. Gauge the market value of the course pertaining to the present times.
- Choose a course whose schedule and pace best suits your current situation. You have three options to choose from.
- In-person course
- Live online course
- Self-paced (you manage the schedule)
- Finally, choose a course that comes within your budget. Do not overspend.
FAQs About Ethical Hacker
Q #1) What are the basic requirements to become an ethical hacker?
Answer: Most ethical hacking courses require you to possess a bachelor’s degree in computer science and cybersecurity-related field. However, there are exceptions made for people who have sound knowledge of operating systems, networking, and databases. You can also opt for certifications CISSP and CCNA before grabbing a CEH certificate.
Q #2) What are the roles and responsibilities of an ethical hacker?
Answer: The following are just a few roles and responsibilities of an ethical hacker:
- Scanning open-and-closed ports using reconnaissance tools.
- Engaging in social engineering methodologies.
- Discern is they can evade IDS/IPS firewalls.
- Examining patch releases by performing careful vulnerability analysis.
Q #3) How much money can an ethical hacker make?
Answer: A certified ethical hackers salary can be anywhere between $50000 -$100000 per year. With a few years of experience, they can easily pull in over $120000 per year in salary.
List Of Ethical Hacking Courses
Here is a list of top online hacking courses:
- Learn Ethical Hacking from Scratch (Udemy)
- Ethical Hacking For Beginners Course (Udemy)
- Cybersecurity for Managers: A Playbook (MIT Management Executive Education)
- Hacking and Patching Certification by University of Colorado (Coursera)
- Learn Ethical Hacking Online – (LinkedIn)
- Become An Ethical Hacker–(LinkedIn Learning)
- The Complete Hacking Course: Beginner To Advanced (Udemy)
- Penetration Testing And Ethical Hacking (Cybrary)
- Ethical Hacking Course for Beginners and Experts (Pluralsight)
- Cybersecurity Certification by University of Maryland (Coursera)
Comparing Best Ethical Hacking Courses
|Course Name||Requirements||Topics Covered||Duration||Ratings||Fees (Full Course)|
|Learn Ethical Hacking from Scratch (Udemy)||Passion for ethical hacking and good internet connection||The basics and fundamentals of ethical hacking, penetration testing, hacking into WiFi and network systems, vulnerability analysis.||12.5 hours||4.5/5||$194.99|
|The Complete Hacking Course: Beginner to Advanced (Udemy)||Anyone seeking a career as an ethical hacker||Wi-Fi Hacking, Penetration testing, Web testing||22 hours||4/5||$199.99|
|Penetration Testing and Ethical Hacking (Cybrary)||A good internet connection will suffice||System Hacking, Session Hijacking, Sniffing Traffic, Denial of service, Penetration testing||13.5 hours||4/5||Free|
|Ethical Hacking course for beginners and experts (Pluralsight)||Strong knowledge of TCP/IP and operating systems. Experience in network technologies.||Cloud computing, penetration testing, cryptography||60 hours||4.5/5||$29/month|
|Become an Ethical Hacker – (LinkedIn Learning)||A passion for ethical hacking and a fast internet connection||Basics of Ethical Hacking, System Hacking, Denial of Service etc||35 hours||5/5||$29.99/month|
Hacking courses review:
#1) Learn Ethical Hacking from Scratch (Udemy)
This is a phenomenal course for beginners aspiring to ace the ethical hacking field. The course offers a comprehensive guide on the subject of ethical hacking from scratch. It begins with the rendering of basic information on the subject and various fields pertaining to penetration testing, before ultimately moving towards more advanced concepts. This course was created by an ethical hacker himself–Zaid Sabih, so you know it has the handprints of an expert all over it.
- Equal coverage of both theoretical and practical concepts.
- Gradual progression from basic to advanced.
- Experts to solve queries.
- 12.5 hours. of on-demand videos, 2 articles, and 17 supplemental resources.
Requirements: A passion for ethical hacking and a good Internet connection is enough.
Topics covered: The basics and fundamentals of ethical hacking, penetration testing, hacking into Wi-Fi and network systems, vulnerability analysis.
Duration: 12.5 hours
#2) Ethical Hacking For Beginners Course (Udemy)
This course also targeted at complete beginners and is a phenomenal offering when it comes to nailing the subject matter like a pro. Hackers Academy conjured this course and is now famous amongst many ethical hacking aspirants. It treats its students as infants and progresses you throughout the minefield of ethical hacking one step at a time.
It consists of a 2-hour on-demand video, the gist of which being that you can conduct your novel hack within 2 hours of beginning the course.
- Best for basic ethical hacking knowledge.
- The program is divided into 3 aspects–foundation, lab setup, and hacking.
- 2 hours of on-demand video in addition to assignments.
- Access on mobile and TV.
Requirement: A willingness to commit to the course is all you need for the course.
Topics covered: Basics of ethical hacking, vulnerability scanning, port scanning.
Duration: 2.5 hours
#3) Cybersecurity For Managers: A Playbook (MIT Management Executive Education)
Cybersecurity isn’t simply the hotspot for IT department or firms, but also a matter of deep concern for departments and organizations operating across the board. This course is specifically designed for managers and entrepreneurs to make them capable of managing their teams and keeping their data safe.
The program takes reference from real-life industry examples to offer insights into better management of risk in the field of cybersecurity. Those who manage to complete the course are also rewarded with a verified digital certificate from MIT Sloan School of Management.
- A verified digital certificate from MIT Sloan School of Management.
- Teaches cybersecurity jargon for easy communication.
- The course teaches the cybersecurity framework for better risk management.
- It also teaches the cybersecurity framework for easy adoption by company executives and decision-makers.
Requirement: Designed specifically for managers and company decision-makers.
Topics covered: Cybersecurity framework of National Institute of Standards and Technology, Defense-in-Depth mechanisms, cybersecurity framework for risk management.
Duration: 6 weeks
#4) Hacking And Patching Certification By University Of Colorado (Coursera)
If hacking Wi-Fi passwords and web apps excites you, then this is your course. The course was created by the University of Colorado and spearheaded by Professor Edward Chow, a professor of computer science. Apart from hacking passwords, the course also takes a practical hands-on approach with their student, which includes penetration tools and hands-on lab to scanning.
Although you can get started with the course directly, it is advised to follow the order of the courses to reap maximum benefit.
- The course is divided into 4 parts.
- Topics to hack and patch apps with injection vulnerabilities.
- 20 videos, 12 readings.
- Training on tools like the Kali penetration testing suite and Nessus scanning tool.
Requirement: Basic cybersecurity and computer science knowledge.
Topic covered: App hack and patch, Hack SQL databases, Memory attack, and defenses.
Duration: 12 hours
#5) Learn Ethical Hacking Online–(LinkedIn)
This LinkedIn Ethical hacking course has something to offer for all preferences and tastes. It comprises a whopping 20 courses for aspirants to go through. Whether you are a novice or have some knowledge of the field, the course is designed to satisfy individual needs.
Several experts from the field of ethical hacking are personally involved in designing the course to make it even more effective. The course covers topics like Kali Linux, Scanning Networks, etc.
- Free first month to try the course in the trial version.
- Opportunity to learn from various industry experts.
- A plethora of courses laid out in an orderly manner.
- High ratings and reviews by students.
Requirement: Just a good Internet connection will suffice.
Topics covered: Kali Linux, Scanning networks, footprinting and reconnaissance, Session hijacking.
Website: Learn Ethical Hacking Online
#6) Become An Ethical Hacker–(LinkedIn Learning)
This LinkedIn course was created and is spearheaded by experts like Malcolm Shore, Scott Simpson, James Williamson, and Lisa Bock, who are all leading professionals in the field of forensics, network security, web design, and development.
It begins with a comprehensive approach of the entire course before diverting to other essential topics such as System hacking, denial of service, etc. With its presence on LinkedIn learning, the course can be harnessed for free. It will definitely help you get the career boost you need.
- Covers common as well as future cybersecurity threats.
- Well-structured and comprehensive course.
- Uses a hands-on approach to use tools to identify threats to the network.
- 20 items of learning content.
Requirement: A passion for ethical hacking and a fast Internet connection.
Topics covered: Basics of Ethical Hacking, System Hacking, Denial of Service, etc.
Duration: 35 hours
Website: Become An Ethical Hacker
#7) The Complete Hacking Course: Beginner To Advanced (Udemy)
This is one of the most sort-after courses on this list, especially curated by an expert in the field named Ermin Kreponic. It goes in-depth to teach students the tips and tricks of both penetration testing and ethical hacking.
The course has 26 sections; you can start as an amateur or substantially experienced. You can be a novice or someone with substantial knowledge. There is something for everyone in the course. Students are also constantly supported by experts throughout the course. They will take care of all your queries, big or small. The course today is home to over 2,400,000 students, which is mind-blowing.
- Teaches how to break a password, attack networks, and build a hacking environment.
- Comes with 5 supplemental resources.
- Covers web testing, Wi-Fi hacking along with ethical hacking.
- Full lifetime access.
Requirement: Anyone seeking a career as an ethical hacker.
Topics covered: Wi-Fi Hacking, Penetration Testing, Web Testing.
Duration: 24.5 hours
#8) Penetration Testing And Ethical Hacking (Cybrary)
This absolutely free of cost course is what you need to build a strong career in ethical hacking. It is spearheaded by an ethical hacker himself, who goes by the name Leo Dregier. Leo has many more accomplishments to his credit. It starts with simple easy to grasp topics before gradually moving up to more complex levels.
All topics like System hacking, Session hijacking, etc. are covered in a detailed manner, and best of all it is all free of cost. It consists of a total of 19 modules. With Leo to help, students seldom come out of sessions confused or with doubts in mind.
- Free ethical hacking course.
- Topic broken into sections, with each section explained succinctly.
- Beginner level to advanced level coverage.
- 13.5 hours of on-demand video with additional content.
Requirement: A good Internet connection will suffice.
Topics covered: System Hacking, Session Hijacking, Sniffing Traffic, Denial of service, Penetration testing.
Duration: 13.5 hours
#9) Ethical Hacking Course for Beginners and Experts (Pluralsight)
This course was created with the sole intention of making students understand the basics and fundamentals of the topic, tools, and technology pertaining to security. The lessons start from basics before moving into more advanced topics.
By the end of the course, students will learn about the five aspects of hacking, and the detailed insights of identifying risks. It is required that students have a substantial comprehension of TCP/IP and operating systems. A one year experience in network technologies is also advisable.
- Covers both theoretical and practical aspects of security concepts.
- Teaches how to install software and navigate the interface.
- Teaches how to extrapolate data and understands risks.
- Free for the first ten days of the course.
Requirement: Strong knowledge of TCP/IP and operating systems. Experience in network technologies.
Topics covered: Cloud computing, penetration testing, cryptography.
Duration: 60 hours
#10) Cybersecurity Certification By University Of Maryland (Coursera)
Cybersecurity is gaining momentum by each passing day. Today it is one of the hottest career choices amongst youngsters. As such, the University of Maryland has designed a course that helps students realize their dream of becoming an ethical hacker. The program consists of 5 courses, covering fundamental concepts required in conjuring a secure system.
The topics covered include Usable Security, Cryptography, Hardware and Software security.
- Well-structured course.
- Clearly explained concepts.
- Covers both theoretical and practical aspects of the field.
- Consists of 5 courses.
Requirement: Basic operating system knowledge and related experience required.
Topics covered: Usable Security, Hardware Security, Cryptography, and Software security.
Duration: 135 hours
Ethical hacking is the new hot career on the block. With many vacancies remaining to be fulfilled, it is also one of the most in-demand career opportunities up for grabs right now. So if you are someone seeking a career in the field, the above courses will give you the boost you need.
The courses were rounded up after gathering tons and tons of student and expert opinions on the same. Most of these courses are fairly affordable and cover the basics of ethical hacking before gradually moving to more advanced stuff.
If you are a novice with no knowledge on the subject of ethical hacking then we suggest you opt for the Ethical hacking for beginner’s course from ‘Udemy’. If you have some knowledge and experience in the operating system and TCP/IP, then ‘Ethical Hacking and penetration for beginners and experts (Pluralsight)’ should do the job for you.
We recommend the Become an ethical hacker course from LinkedIn Learning as it is free and is delivered under the constant tutelage of not one, not two but four of the best in the field.
- We spent 14 hours researching and writing this article so you can have summarized and insightful information on what Ethical hacking course will best suit you.
- Total Ethical hacking course Researched-22
- Total Ethical hacking course Shortlisted-10