List of the best paid and open source free Virtualization Software for Windows and Mac Systems:
The virtualization concept can be simply considered as one computer within another.
It will allow us to use multiple operating systems on a single computer or machine. This, in turn, makes the work much easier as we cannot change the operating system as per our requirement every time. For IT Professionals or Developers it will be an easier option to use virtualization software.
The Concept of Virtualization:
Developers require multiple operating systems to build different systems in different environments. For testers, it will be an easier option as they can check different systems in different environments.
Mac users will not be able to use Windows applications without virtualization software. This, in turn, would be the case with the other operating systems as well.
Also, this is not about only using different operating systems on the same machine but you can use different versions of the same operating system on one machine simultaneously.
There are several benefits of using Virtualization Software. With the help of virtualization, one can access the applications or operating system that is installed on a centralized machine, where both the machines are at different locations.
This was all about the operating system in virtualization, however, we can also use virtualization for networking functions, server, and data sharing. The Virtual machine software helps in simulating the environment by using one hardware that is also called as Hypervisor.
With the help of virtualization tools, you can take the maximum benefit of your machine, and you can use the original machine along with one more machine which is virtual.
Virtualization software also provides security options and helps you in keeping your data safe. For this, you can take a snapshot of your system and restore your system to this state. Sandbox provides more security options for virtualization.
Now virtual machine software has improved their performance in terms of speed and they also provide more & more functions for the ease of use.
=> Contact us to suggest a listing here.
What You Will Learn:
- Top 10 Virtualization Software
- Virtualization Systems Comparison Table
- #1) SolarWinds Virtualization Manager
- #2) V2 Cloud
- #3) VMware Fusion
- #4) Parallels Desktop
- #5) Oracle VM Virtual Box
- #6) VMware Workstation
- #7) QEMU
- #8) Windows Virtual PC
- #9) Microsoft Hyper-V
- #10) RedHat Virtualization
- #11) Veertu for Mac
- #12) Boot Camp
- Additional Tools
Top 10 Virtualization Software
Enlisted below are the top 10 Virtualization Software that is available in the market.
Virtualization Systems Comparison Table
|Host OS||Guest OS||Feature||Price|
|SolarWinds Virtualization Manager||Windows||--||VM Sprawl Control, Predictive recommendations, manage across on-premise, hybrid, & cloud, etc.||It starts at $2995.|
|V2 Cloud||Windows||Windows||Browser accessibility, Web client available on Windows & Mac, Fast performance, Technical support included.||Starts from $60/month|
|VM Ware Fusion||For Mac Users||Windows|
|No reboot required.|
Can work with Cloud.
|Starts from $79.99.|
|No reboot required.||Starts from $49.99/year.|
|Oracle Virtualization||Mac |
|Many OS.||Run on any application.|
|VM Ware Workstation||For Windows and Linux users||More than 200 OS.||Can work with Cloud.||Contact them for pricing details.|
|QEMU||Any||Any||Can be used on any platform.||Free|
|Virtual PC||Windows7||Windows XP|
|Print option available from guest OS also.||Free|
|Microsoft Hyper-V||Windows 64-bit|
Education 8 and above. Not for Home versions.
|Can work with Azure.||Free|
|Open source. |
|Veertu-for MAC||Mac||Mac OS & IOS||VM runs as an application of Mac.||$39.99|
|Apple-Boot Camp||Mac||Windows||No need to download or instal.||Free|
Let’s explore each of them in detail!!
#1) SolarWinds Virtualization Manager
SolarWinds Virtualization Manager is the platform for monitoring virtual machines. It will help you with fixing and optimizing performance issues. It will perform comprehensive virtual machine monitoring, performance management, capacity planning, and optimization.
- It can provide the complete visibility of VMware and Hyper-V no matter it is on-premises, hybrid or in the cloud.
- You will be able to alert and monitor on Azure and AWS infrastructure through the same dashboard that is for on-premises or hybrid virtual environment.
- You will be able to execute a variety of VM Monitoring and management actions without making use of separate tools.
- To optimize the resources, the tool will allow you to trigger such actions manually, using customized alerts, or scripts.
- SolarWinds Virtualization Manager can manage across on-premise, hybrid, or in the cloud.
- To help you improve the performance, there will be automatic identification of opportunities to free up processing and storage resources.
Tool Cost/Plan Details: The price of the SolarWinds virtualization manager starts at $2995. It offers a free trial for 30 days. You can select the license based on your requirements for the number of sockets. The pricing is available in the range of $2995 (8 sockets) to $110395 (640 sockets).
#2) V2 Cloud
V2 Cloud is a fully-integrated desktop virtualization provider. It enables you to create and manage Windows cloud desktop in 20 minutes. Their VM’s are really fast, and the software is easy to use. V2 Cloud doesn’t require any IT skills, offer fanatical technical support, and has a pay-as-you-go pricing.
- Windows 10 multi-user
- Blazing fast processors and drives.
- Fanatical technical support
- Office365 & AzureAD Integration
- 50 GB disk space (expandable)
- Simplified user collaboration
- Daily backup snapshots
- Unlimited teleportations globally (America, Europe, Asia, Australia).
- Ease of use, admin & setup.
- Quality of support
- Superfast cloud desktops.
Tool Cost/Plan Details: V2 Cloud has multiple plans based on the computing resources needed. It goes from The Founder to The Enterprise.
The customers choose a plan that fits their needs (RAM, CPU & Storage) and pays $10 per user, per month with this plan. They provide a risk-free trial of 7-Day.
#3) VMware Fusion
This software is for Mac users. With the help of VMware Fusion, you can use Windows, Linux, NetWare, Solaris and many other OS on your Mac. Its first version was released in August 2007 and the Latest version 10.1.0 was released in December 2017.
VMware is a subordinate company of Dell Technologies. It is known for cloud computing and virtualization software.
- It provides solutions for IT professionals, developers, and businesses.
- You can use multiple applications on different OS at the same time. There will be no need to reboot.
- Fusion Pro provides the facility of integration with many development tools.
- VMware Fusion can be connected with VMware vSphere. vSphere provides a cloud-based platform for virtualization.
- It can be integrated with third-party software for data center topologies. This feature is available with Fusion Pro.
- Simple and easy to use.
- It provides support for a real-time demonstration of software or application with rollback points.
Cons: Its drag and drop functionality needs improvement.
Tool Cost/Plan Details: The cost for version 10 license is $79.99. If you are upgrading from the older version to version 10 then it will cost you $49.99.
Official Website: VM Ware Fusion
#4) Parallels Desktop
Parallels Desktop was launched in 1999. Its headquarters is in Renton, Washington. They also have their offices in Europe, North America, Australia, and Asia. Parallels provide 4 products especially for business and three products for your personal use. This software is for Mac users, to use Windows OS on Mac.
- Support for Windows 10 and Mac OS High Sierra.
- It provides additional tools that will help you in accomplishing your daily tasks.
- No need to reboot.
- You will be able to access Excel, power point, start menu etc.
- It has improved its display for Windows OS.
- It provides a new view mode so that it will be easier for you to view the virtual machine.
The below image will depict its improved view mode.
- Additional tools are for both OS Windows and Mac.
- You will be able to access the ‘Windows files’ faster than before and for this, it has improved its performance.
List of some additional tools is shown in the below image.
Cons: Though they provide more than 30 additional tools, not even a single functionality is unique.
Tool Cost/Plan Details: There are three plans i.e. Standard Edition, Pro Edition, and Business Edition. Standard and Pro editions can be upgraded. You will have to contact them for the pricing details of these plans. It also provides a free trial for 14 days.
Official Website: Parallels Desktop
#5) Oracle VM Virtual Box
It was developed by Oracle now. Its first version was released in January 2007 and was developed by Innotek GmbH. Later, it was taken over by Sun Microsystems and now by Oracle. Headquarters of Oracle is in Redwood City, California.
- This system is for Windows, Mac, Linux, and Solaris. You can run multiple OS on this system.
- You can resize the window.
- It supports drag & drop functionality.
- It gives you the flexibility to run any application on your PC.
- It supports four operating systems as a host.
- Ease of use.
- UI needs improvement.
- Even though it is free, you have to buy some features for commercial use.
Tool Cost/Plan Details: Free
Official Website: Oracle Virtualization
#6) VMware Workstation
With the help of this system, you can run multiple OS. This system is for Linux or Windows OS users. This system is specially developed for IT professionals and developers. It will help developers to develop the software to be compatible for multiple OS/platform.
- It supports multiple OS that can be run on Linux or Windows PC.
- This system can work with the cloud. This feature is ‘vSphere Connectivity’. VMware vSphere is a cloud-based platform for virtualization.
- It will allow you to keep different privacy settings and network configurations for another PC that is virtual.
- Transferring data to and from the virtual machine to your PC is easier.
- ‘Helpful Snapshot’ feature helps in software testing.
Pros: Can be integrated with third-party applications.
Cons: Can be used only on Linux or Windows PC.
URL: VM Ware Workstation
QEMU has released its latest version 3.0.0 on 14th August 18. QEMU is the short form of Quick Emulator. This system is written in C language. It is an open source system.
- It supports multiple OS to be run on any system/OS.
- Hardware virtualization.
Pros: It can be used on any system. No restrictions for the host OS.
Cons: Not user-friendly.
Tool Cost/Plan Details: Free
#8) Windows Virtual PC
Windows Virtual PC is the virtualization software by Microsoft Corporation. It was first released in September 2009. This system will allow you to run multiple Windows OS simultaneously to accomplish your work from your Windows 7 PC.
- You can run multiple OS simultaneously.
- Host OS should be Windows 7.
- You can use the print option from the guest OS.
- You can run multiple virtual machines simultaneously.
Pros: It is Free.
Cons: It is only for the Windows operating system. No other OS is supported.
Tool Cost/Plan Details: Free
URL: Virtual PC
#9) Microsoft Hyper-V
Microsoft Hyper-V is included with Windows Server 2008 and later. To install it on your PC you will just have to follow some steps. It is not available for Home versions of Windows.
- Hardware virtualization.
- It can run multiple virtual machines.
- These virtual machines can be used with Azure. Thus, we can say that Microsoft Hyper-V supports a cloud-based platform.
- Supports many versions of Linux.
- It comes with Windows Server 2008, Windows 8 and above. Hence, no need to download separately.
Cons: Applications that require some hardware specifications cannot be run using virtual machines as it can run on host OS only.
Tool Cost/Plan Details: Free
URL: Microsoft Hyper-V
#10) RedHat Virtualization
This system was developed by Red Hat Software. It is written in Java. Its first version was released in June 2010. Red Hat is a software company that develops open-source software. Headquarters of Red Hat is in Raleigh, North Carolina.
- Applications run fast in virtualization as well. Hence in the top features, they promise improved performance.
- It is an open-source system. So you can make it, to integrate with the systems as per your requirement.
- It is easy to use, setup and manage.
- Ease of use.
- It supports Windows OS.
Cons: Paid support available.
Tool Cost/Plan Details: Free. However, the Paid version can be purchased through Redhat or their partners.
#11) Veertu for Mac
The product which is provided by Veertu for virtualization is Anka Hypervisor. Veertu’s first virtualization software was released in September 2016 and it was Veertu Desktop. It is an open-source system.
- It will run as an application of Mac. Hence, it will run faster.
- Anka is a set of tools for helping the development of systems.
- The screenshot itself explains the features of this system.
Pros: It is useful for testers as well as developers. The system provides specifics that are required for development and testing.
Cons: Drag and drop functionality is not available.
Tool Cost/Plan Details: $39.99
URL: Veertu-for MAC
#12) Boot Camp
Boot Camp software was developed by Apple. It is for Mac users, who want to use Windows OS on Mac. The first version was released in April 2006.
- No need to download externally, it will be there on your Mac.
- You can install on Windows 7, 8.1 and 10.
- You can use the same keyboard for Apple and Windows.
Pros: Self-explaining software. You just need to open it and follow the guidelines.
Cons: For the DVD based installation of Windows, you will require an ISO image.
Tool Cost/Plan Details: Free as it comes with Mac
Official Website: Apple-Boot Camp
#13) Xen Desktop: Xen Desktop is a platform for virtualization. It helps the users who are in a different location to access the Windows OS that is installed on some centralized machine. This system was developed by Citrix Systems.
Official Website: Citrix-XenDesktop
#14) Connectwise Automate: This system is for monitoring devices and users. It will not only help you in monitoring but also in automating other tasks. It provides a free trial.
Official Website: Connectwise Automate
#15) Urge Software: This system was developed by Wineskin and the software is free. This is for the Mac users to use Windows OS on Mac.
Official Website: Wineskin Urge Software
We have come to the end of the article on the top virtualization software.
VMware Fusion, Parallels Desktop, Oracle VM Virtual Box and VMware Workstation are the top four software that is really good for virtualization.
Oracle VM Virtual Box gives you really nice features at a free of cost. It can also be used on Mac, Windows, Linux, and Solaris.
Also Read =>> VirtualBox Vs VMWare