This is an in-depth review of the best VR Games with their features, pricing, ratings, and comparison. Select from this list of best Virtual Reality games:
All the virtual reality platforms, namely Oculus, PlayStation VR, Samsung Gear VR, HTC Vive, Windows Mixed Reality, Valve, and even the cheaper virtual reality cardboards now support a host of virtual reality games–from the action, arcade, simulation, exploration, and sporting.
These platforms support a host of operating systems and hence allow you to play VR games on your mobile, desktop, iPad, iOS, and Mac devices. The choice is all yours.
Virtual reality headsets are now more affordable. They are available even at the cost of less than $100. You can immerse yourself in a virtual reality game.
What You Will Learn:
- Virtual Reality Games Overview
- List Of Top Virtual Reality Games
Virtual Reality Games Overview
For starters, the virtual reality gaming experience isn’t like the ordinary gaming on your PC or mobile. The technology delivers the benefits of immersion where the player experiences the game from a first-person, feeling like they are right in the gaming scene and interacting with characters as they would do in actual life.
In this tutorial, we will provide the list of top VR games online, both single and multi-player games.
Hardware required for playing Virtual Reality games
If you want to play on a PC, you will need a powerful computer with a GPU processor such as Nividia GTX and AMD 290 and their equivalents for the best experience.
Then there is the headset itself, separate from the PC. In that case, you can go for Oculus Rift, SteamVR, Microsoft HoloLens, HTC Vive, and Valve Index headsets that work on PCs via cable or wireless connectivity. They usually come with their controllers, or you can buy the controllers separately.
If you want mobile VR games, you need to reach out for platforms such as the Oculus Quest, Oculus Go, Labo VR Kit, and Samsung Gear VR that come with an integrated mobile-like computer device and headset infused so you can download games into the device and wear the entire device on your head to play and operate the virtual reality games as you watch.
These can use separate controllers or infused gaze mode controller sensors.
Cardboard virtual reality headsets are mere lenses on headsets but allow you to plug in your mobile phone into them and you can browse. For instance, from the VR game stores, there are titles that you can play while the headset is strapped on your head over your eyes.
The PlayStation VR headset is supported on the PS4 and PS4 Pro for those interested in PS4 VR games.
VR Games: Pros And Cons
- Provides or gives detailed views.
- Are very immersive and the experience is more real than ordinary video games.
- They offer more opportunities and experience to connect with people due to immersion.
- More real applications beyond entertainment, including medical reasons.
- Good advertising opportunities for publishers because of immersion.
- Effective communication.
- The technology is still experimental.
- Steeper learning curve than ordinary video games with more accessories and procedures/processes to use.
- Expensive and rare hardware.
- Fewer gaming options.
- Low accessibility, for instance, for those using mobile phones.
- Games harder to develop than ordinary video games.
List Of Top Virtual Reality Games
Here is a list of the best VR Games:
- Half-Life: Alyx
- MineCraft VR
- No Man’s Sky
- Iron Man VR
- Rec Room
- The Forest
- Skyrim VR
- Resident Evil 7
- Elite: Dangerous (Multiplatform)
Comparison Table Of Best VR Games
|Game||Category||Main features||Pricing plans||Ratings|
|Half-Life: Alyx||-First-person survival game.||-Works with HTC Vive, Oculus Quest, Oculus Rift, Oculus Rift S, Valve Index, and Windows Mixed Reality headsets.||$59.99 on Steam||4.7/5 by 231 reviewers online. It has a 10/10 rating on Steam-engine and scores a 97% positive rating on Metacritic|
|MineCraft VR||-A multiplayer or single-user game.||-Works on Oculus Quest, Oculus Rift and Rift S, and Windows Mixed Reality.|
-English, Chinese, French, Portuguese, Italian, Russian, Spanish.
|$26 at Amazon||3.3 out of 5 stars on Oculus store, reviewed by 3,622.|
|No Man’s Sky||-Action-adventure survival. |
-A multiplayer game.
|-Supports PlayStation VR.||$60 on PC and $50 on PS4 and Xbox||6/10 at the Steam game store from 130 reviews. It scores an 83% positive rating on Metacritic.com, having reviewed by 9 people|
|Iron Man VR||-First-person shooter combat game.||-Works with PlayStation VR.|
-No support for Oculus, Windows Mixed Reality, Vive, Valve, or other VR platforms.
|Iron Man VR game costs $350. Included in the bundle are a physical copy of the game, a PlayStation VR headset, two PlayStation Move motion controllers, a PlayStation Camera, and a PSVR demo disc||73% on Metacritic, having been reviewed by 133 users|
|Rec Room||-Multiplayer.||-Cross-platform on PC, console, and iOS devices, mobile, and even on Steam.||The Rec Room VR game is free.||4.6 out of 5 on the Internet from a total of 217 ratings.|
|The Forest||-Adventure, explorative, creative.||-Low-cost - only $20.|
-Extensively reviewed - 164,199 users.
-HTC Vive, and Oculus Rift.
|The game costs only $20.||Strongly positive rating of 94%, and has been intensely reviewed – by 164,199 users on the same platform|
|Skyrim VR||-Adventure.||-It works for HTC Vive, Vive Pro, Oculus Rift, Windows Mixed Reality headsets and Playstation VR.|
-More realistic VR mechanics.
|The game costs just $31.69.||6.8/10 on IGN.com, 4/5Common Sense Media, and 7/10 on Steam|
|Resident Evil 7||-First-person survival horror game.||-Very affordable. |
-Played by over 4.7 million users.
-Supports PlayStation VR on PlayStation 4.
|Costs just US$18.51 on Amazon.||4.6 out of the overall 5 on the Internet, out of 431 ratings. The game has also received a rating of 4 on a review at pcmag.com|
|Elite: Dangerous (Multiplatform)||-Epic.|
|-Multiplayer and social game. |
-4K Ultra HD display.
-Available on Steam and Oculus stores.
-Works with Vive Index, HTC Vive, Oculus Rift.
|The game costs only US$30.||7 out of 10 on Steam, and hence has a good standing. Further, over 42,000 people have reviewed this game as positive on the platform.|
|Defector||-Spy-action-shooter.||-Multiplayer game. |
-Supports Oculus Rift, Rift S.
-Works with Oculus Touch controllers.
|The game costs only $20 on the Oculus store.||5-stars rating from 46% of all reviewers on Oculus store, and 26% of them score the game a 4-stars rating.
Majority of the reviews on Metacritic are also positive for this game.
Review of VR Games:
#1) Half-Life: Alyx
Half-Life: Alyx is the first Half-Life game in 13 years, and this first-person virtual reality shooter game has gained a lot of media attention.
This fully-fledged game was built for virtual reality by Valve and features excellent physics and graphics. The player plays the role of a fan-favorite character called Alyx Vance.
As Alyx, you lead a revolution in City 17 where everyone has learned to live under the rules of invaders. Your role during the 11-hour episode will be to take on invader enemy Combine forces, preventing them to do a brutal occupation on earth in City 17. It was built after the successes of Half-Life games that were not in virtual reality.
- The game can be played on a host of virtual reality headsets including HTC Vive, Oculus Quest, Oculus Rift, Oculus Rift S, Valve Index, and Windows Mixed Reality headsets. It means you can play it on PC.
- The player uses virtual reality guns such as the gravity gun for combat, gravity gloves to control gravity, and controllers to throw objects, get supplies, and user interfaces.
- It is supported by the SteamVR platform library.
Here is a video on Half-Life: Alyx
Pros: Besides being available on major and many virtual reality gaming platforms and headsets, Half-Life: Alyx features among the best graphics seen in virtual reality, and with the benefit of virtual reality, the player feels like they are right at the game scene interacting with the characters.
The gameplay combines artificial intelligence, models are very good, puzzles are challenging, and the game also includes horror and adventurous experience for players.
Cons: Unfortunately, the player would need an expensive gaming P.C and these headsets are also a bit costly. There are also a few complaints on the sound-track being off.
Reviews: The Half-Life: Alyx is rated 4.7/5 by 231 reviewers online and beats many virtual reality racing games and games in other categories other than racing. It has a 10/10 rating on Steam-engine and scores a 97% positive rating on Metacritic where it has received 66 positive ratings.
Price: The game costs $59.99 on Steam.
Verdict: The game is rated as one of the best virtual reality games online with excellent graphics and overall gaming experience apart from the fact that one would need expensive hardware to play the game.
Website: Half-Life: Alyx
#2) MineCraft VR
MineCraft VR is a single-user game but also supports multiplayer and co-op game modes so that you can play it with friends. The game is an exploration, survival, fun game where players mine the landscape to build whatever they wish and earn rewards by doing so. It has received support from educators looking for virtual reality games for kids or trainee adults and trainers, as well as ordinary gamers.
There are no characters, no story, no drama, and it is of no particular genre. The player is free to create their world as they wish with their own digital hands. They can explore and battle mobs as well. It is favorable for creators and editors alike. We can play its other versions on ordinary desktop computers as well as on PlayStation 3, 4, Vita, Wii U, Xbox 360, and Xbox One.
- No story, no characters, no genre, no dramatic cut-scenes.
- Some of the best features on the game include support for multiplayer mode, 3D audio, VR Turning to prevent disorientations by snapping head swiveling motions, and VR Controls to make it easy to do in-game tasks.
- It is supported on Oculus Quest, Oculus Rift and Rift S, and Windows Mixed Reality.
- It is free to download and play on the Oculus store.
- Supports gamepad, keyboard, and mouse.
- Multiple languages supported including English, Chinese, French, Portuguese, Italian, Russian, Spanish.
Here is a video on MineCraft VR:
Pros: It is an infinitely replayable game, creative, and satisfying game. Players have numerous materials to collect and items to create. It also features a sandbox and iconic design.
Cons: On the downside though, players would need to experience an uneven learning curve.
Reviews and Rating: The game has a score of 3.3 out of 5 stars in the Oculus store, reviewed by 3,622.
Price: Free on Oculus, costs $26 at Amazon.
Verdict: A free cool multiplayer or single-user game for those who love exploration and digital creativity. I can be applied in educational and training scenes.
Website: MineCraft VR
#3) No Man’s Sky VR
No Man’s Sky VR is an action-adventure survival, a multiplayer supported game whose release in 2019 was highly anticipated but the game was later met with huge criticism because of performance issues, most of which have been solved via the latest Synthesis and Exo Mec updates. Inside the scene, the developer has crafted billions of planets across the universe.
Users can explore the universe, mine, dig caves, build bases, and discover relics, among many other actions, planet after another. There are group multiplayer missions.
Each player wakes up, for the first time, in a strange scene and location different from any other player. Although players can explore the main story about aliens, ancient civilizations, and solving mysteries, there is a bit of personalization in the exploration because they can also rename planets, solar systems, and anything they discover on their path.
Although there is some combat aspect, it is very basic with no levels of advancement by players. Players can use ships and exosuits and even install new technology on them to advance their combat.
The game is a good replacement for VR racing games. It now allows users to choose between four modes: normal mode, a creative mode for easier building, survival mode with increased difficulty, and permadeath mode.
An update also added a story-line with a 30-hour narrative.
- The game supports PlayStation VR and joystick controllers.
- The game allows users to build, explore virtual worlds, and even trade items built.
- Supports multiplayer experiences.
- Users who experience motion sickness in VR can adjust the field of view vignette.
- Possible to adjust snap turning and teleportation.
- You can play with motion controllers or a gamepad with a keyboard and mouse on PC.
- Players can explore what others create, from the Featured Bases section.
Here is a video on No Man’s Sky VR:
Pros: Users can participate in missions and win vast rewards. Also, there are a lot of actions, activities, and things to engage in. All the game objects support virtual reality motion controllers, and the game feels much better played in VR than the non-VR environment.
Cons: Earlier there were performance issues and complaints about features such as avatar freezing and stopping to move hence forcing a reload, slew bugs that let you not interact with items, lots of broken moving parts, and many objects looked individually are yet to be polished.
Reviews and Rating: The game encountered huge criticism after the last year’s August launch due to performance issues, but these have been improved in subsequent updates.
The game scores a rating of 6/10 at the Steam game store from 130 reviews. It scores an 83% positive rating on Metacritic.com, having reviewed by 9 people.
Price: The game costs $60 on PC and $50 on PS4 and Xbox.
Verdict: This single and multiplayer game is interesting despite a difficult start. It has come a long way, and the team seems to remain focused to continue updating the game.
Website: No Man’s Sky VR
#4) Iron Man VR
This first-person shooter combat game is inspired by the comic character Iron Man. The VR version was released for PlayStation VR on July 2020 after disruptions to releases, related to the coronavirus pandemic.
The VR version immerses you into a virtual environment where, as Tony Stark, your combat survival depends on your skill and ability to control the Iron Man suit in its HUD, and the ability and skill to kill enemies including a computer hacker and terrorist known as Ghost. Players can customize the suit.
Developed by an American studio known as Camouflaj and published by Sony Interactive Entertainment, Iron Man supports PlayStation’s VR headset. Players get to engage in different combat missions, can unlock weapons, and even complete challenge modes outside of the story.
- Supports PlayStation Move controllers used to control Iron Man’s palm-mounted weapons and flight stabilizers. A great game for lovers of PS4 VR games.
- The player interacts with elements to deactivate explosives, put out fires, and repair broken items.
- Players can fly around in VR to combat enemies.
- Upgrades to the Iron Man armor can be bought using research points earned when completing missions.
- New suit
Here is a video on Iron Man VR:
Pros: The PlayStation VR bundle that has Marvel’s Iron Man VR game costs $350, hence affordable, all with a PlayStation headset, camera, controllers, and the game itself.
Cons: Currently, the game does not support other VR platforms beyond PlayStation VR.
Reviews and rating: The game has a rating of 73% on Metacritic, having been reviewed by 133 users.
Price: The PlayStation VR bundle that has Marvel’s Iron Man VR game costs $350. Included in the bundle is the physical copy of the game, a PlayStation VR headset, two PlayStation Move motion controllers, a PlayStation Camera, and a PSVR demo disc.
Verdict: This game is fantastic for those looking for the best VR games in 2020 but unfortunately, there are no plans to support it for Oculus, Windows Mixed Reality, Vive, Valve, or other VR platforms.
Website: Iron Man VR
#5) Rec Room
Rec Room is a massively multiplayer online virtual reality game originally released in 2016 for Windows PC. It is now available for iOS, Oculus Quest, and PlayStation 4. It means you can play with friends regardless of their location and device, just like you were in the same room.
On this free-to-play game, you can discover thousands of rooms created by players and add yours too. You can customize your avatar the way you want and you can play a variety of games including 3D Charades, Paintball, Disc-Golf, and others. The game will provide a basic avatar with a painted face and hands.
- Multiplayer game to play with friends.
- The best thing is that this game is free to play.
- Cross-platform on PC, console, and iOS devices, mobile, and even on Steam.
- Possibility to create private rooms, games, and hosting events.
- Players can lower visibility or change teleport mode when and if they feel uncomfortable or sick with the locomotion. Players can choose smooth or rough locomotion.
Here is a video on Rec Room:
Pros: There are possibilities to create a room and host private instances of Rec Room and events, in the Sandbox. You can also create mini-games or decorate spaces yourself or with friends the way you want. You can also opt to block, vote, report, kick, and even mute people that are making the game not become so enjoyable.
Cons: Although the VR game online doesn’t have very cool graphics like the Robo or The Climb, it is very fun to play the game. You also get loop music sound that you are also free to turn off.
Reviews and Rating: This game scores a high online rating of 4.6 out of 5 on the Internet from a total of 217 ratings.
Price: The Rec Room rates as one of the top virtual reality games for kids and all ages because the game is free.
Verdict: This game has very competitive mini-games and there is no story-line. The best of it is that it is a free multiplayer.
Website: Rec Room
#6) The Forest
The Forest was a commercial success game selling over five million copies by the end of 2018. It is inspired by cult films such as The Descent and Cannibal Holocaust and video games like Don’t Starve.
The game is a first-person virtual reality game online that also allows players to play in teams of up to four people, working and fighting against cannibalistic barbarians. It places you as the character in a tropical forest after surviving a plane crash, and here you explore a mixed taste of horror, action, and adventure.
In the story-line, Eric LeBlanc has survived a plane crash and falls in a forest full of aggressive woodland creatures, a tribe of nocturnal, cannibalistic mutants. He must fight to survive. The forest is also full of features such as caves, trees, and players can build traps, hunt animals, and collect supplies in the day to defend themselves against the mutants.
The game supports HTC Vive or an Oculus Rift, and it is one of the cheapest in this list at just $20.
- The Forest VR allows users to modify the shape and position of custom structures and structures available on the platform. These include survival shelters, wooden cabins, tree-houses, and tree platforms.
- It has the option to save the game, several and a variety of things to do, including searching for artifacts, exploring caves, etc.
- Player’s health–energy, stamina, hunger, and thirst levels indicated.
Here is a video on The Forest:
- Extensively reviewed by many people.
- The ability for users to be creative on it and build things.
Cons: Supports only a few VR environments.
Reviews and Rating: The Forest game is published on Steam store and has a strongly positive rating of 94%, and has been intensely reviewed by 164,199 users on the same platform.
Price: The game costs only $20.
Verdict: The Forest multiplayer game is intensively reviewed, by 165,000 users from around the world, on the Steam games platform. From these reviews, it scores a very high positive rating of 94 percent as a very appealing and fun-filled game.
Website: The Forest
#7) SkyRim VR
This is one of the biggest adventure PS4 VR games so far, supporting Oculus Rift, HTC Vive, and PlayStation VR for those looking for high-rated PS4 virtual reality games to play. SkyRim is the base VR game on this app because there are others – Dawnguard, Hearthfire, and Dragonborn DLC.
As the main character, you get immersed in a scene to engage in the fighting of giant spiders and rogue soldiers for your survival.
- It is multiplatform and multiplayer. It works for HTC Vive, Vive Pro, Oculus Rift, Windows Mixed Reality headsets, and Playstation VR. It also consists of multiple options for games to play, beyond the base game SkyRim VR.
- Immersive to play, thanks to the realistic VR mechanics. Mechanics are well-done and intuitive.
- This game features four controls to increase the level of immersion and offer an option to control the game. These include “physical sneaking”, “realistic bow aiming”, “realistic shield grip” and “realistic swimming”.
Here is a video on SkyRim:
- It supports multiple platforms and offers multiple games to play.
- Already popular before porting to VR.
Cons: Because the virtual reality version retains the same old non-virtual reality version and simply ports it into virtual reality, there are old-dated looking graphics and rather clumsy characters. You can deal with this by downloading and installing modules that work with this game.
Reviews and Ratings: 6.8/10 on IGN.com, 4/5Common Sense Media, and 7/10 on Steam.
Price: The game costs just $31.69.
Verdict: The SkyRim VR games provide vast options to play and roam inside VR, and features a great story. It is, however, a little more costly than many games on this list.
Website: SkyRim VR
#8) Resident Evil 7
Resident Evil is one of the top virtual reality games online that works on PCs but also plays on Xbox One and PS4. It was designed with virtual reality in mind, unlike most of the virtual reality games for kids and other ages, which are made just by porting their old versions into VR. It was one of the first blockbuster games that can be played entirely on virtual reality.
Resident Evil 7 first-person survival horror game revolves around a character called Ethan Winters from Dulvey, Louisiana. As a player, your task will be to explore a deserted house to find the wife of this resident who has gone missing for three years. During this search and rescue mission, you encounter enemies you must fight to survive.
Although this game was first a first-person, it is now a third-person perspective series.
Here is a video on Resident Evil 7:
- It is one of the popular VR games online that plays on PlayStation 4 but also works with Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, and Microsoft Windows. Playable with the PlayStation VR headset.
- Features detailed visuals and a renewed focus on horror.
Also, watch this,
Pros: The game features great graphics, and the encounter is tense thanks to the focus on the defensive and a slower movement. The game balances between action and survival. Not only does it feature a satisfying story but also enhances horror and shooting elements.
Cons: Unfortunately, even as one of the most popular virtual reality games online, it has a small enemy variety, and the randomized enemy spawning can be frustrating sometimes. There also is an under-utilized limb-destruction mechanic.
Another bad side of this includes the under-powered weapons, and it is possible to become VR sick given the cut-scenes. The immersion also comes at a compromise given the interface and graphical quirks in virtual reality.
Reviews and Ratings: It rates as one of the top virtual reality games having won The Game Award for Best VR Game. It has scooped a positive rating of 4.6 out of the overall 5 on the Internet, out of 431 ratings. The game has also received a rating of 4 on a review at PC Magazine.
The game has been played by over 4.7 million players globally, with over 0.75 million playing it in virtual reality. It was one of the first blockbuster games playable entirely in virtual reality, for those who love PS4 VR games.
Price: Resident Evil 7 is one of the top virtual reality games that cost a few dollars at just US$18.51 on Amazon.
Verdict: This is one of the best VR games featuring excellent graphics, and it scores a very positive rating online, having been reviewed by several players. It has attracted a very huge VR player base, with over 700,000 players having played it in VR.
Website: Resident Evil 7
#9) The Elite: Dangerous
The Elite is one of the best virtual reality games, despite being over thirty years old since its introduction in the market. Players can engage in combat while immersed in an extensive universe of 400 billion star systems of the Milky Way. The galaxy is recreated with the entirety of the Milky Way.
The developers have reconstructed all items–the stars, moons, asteroid fields, and black holes in true epic proportions.
Inside this game, a good player is ready to own their starship in a cutthroat galaxy. The player will do all that is possible to earn skill, knowledge, and power, such that they survive and stand out as Elites. The player actions will see governments fall, battles lost, and some won.
- Supports 4K ultra-HD resolution.
- The VR mode of this game requires using a gamepad or a keyboard and mouse.
- The game is a good replacement for virtual reality racing games and supports the Valve Index, HTC Vive, and Oculus Rift. Open Play feature allows the multiplayer mode to play with friends and other players from around the world, although the game also offers the option of a solo player mode.
- Players are free to customize all components as they hunt, explore, fight, mine, smuggle, and trade as they survive through the trails.
- The multiplayer VR game is designed from ground-up to support VR and 4K Ultra HD display technology.
Cons: Do not support other VR headsets.
Reviews and Rating: The top VR game is rated 7 out of 10 on Steam, and hence has a good standing. Further, over 42,000 people have reviewed this game as positive on the platform.
The rating on the Oculus store is also good for this virtual reality game, at 4.6 out of 5, from a total of 2,492 votes.
Price: The game costs only US$30.
Verdict: Like many top virtual reality games in this list, this one has been reviewed by many people and scored massive positive ratings on the Oculus store and other places. The multiplayer game offers the option of solo mode.
Website: The Elite
Defector is an intense spy action-shooter game that has come to virtual reality, and it looks like a Mission Impossible game. For those who love spy games, in this one, you will be acting as an undercover agent with assignments anywhere in the world, and some are extremely risky.
This game trains you that success is for those who embrace danger and face it head-on because this is a zero-sum world where facing danger head-on is a requirement.
This is a multiplayer virtual reality game that allows you to defeat enemies using every kind of advanced weapon, deceptive tactics, and modern technology. Your choices will affect the fate of missions.
It supports Oculus Rift and Rift S headsets and Oculus Touch controllers.
- Possibility to adjust the game to the best settings and comfort level to defeat nausea. An example is tunneling in the screen during movement, and this would help reduce motion sickness. The latter would also see a player adjusting walking speed and other elements for moving around within the game.
- It has a narrative and players can indulge in many individual missions.
- Good and positive reviews about graphics, motion capture, textures, and character models.
- Solid options to help motion sickness scenarios–It is possible to adjust the field of view, speed of turning, motion speed, and much more on the Eagle Flight. It is also possible to play in a stationary fashion.
- Offers five missions, all of which take one hour per piece.
- You can jump into a mission at the point of making critical path choices. This reduces the time to play the game to about 7 hours.
Cons: Play should take more hours because it feels like it has lesser time.
Rating and Reviews: This game has garnered a 5-stars rating from 46% of all reviewers on the Oculus Store, and 26% of them score the game a 4-stars rating.
The majority of the reviews on Metacritic are also positive for this game.
Price: The game costs only $20 on the Oculus store.
Verdict: It is one of the most addictive virtual reality games offering combat, gunplay, spycraft, and puzzle work.
VR games allow you to immerse yourself at the center of the gaming scene as one of the characters, interacting with others and recreating and creating scenes and situations as you like.
The best VR games allow you to play on multiple platforms like on Windows PC, iOS, and mobile devices because you can connect with players from around the world regardless of the devices they are using.
In this tutorial, we looked at a few best virtual reality games that you can play alone or with friends from home. Most of these games have been ported to virtual reality, although most of them also offer very excellent graphics and features.
Also read =>> Best WoW Private Servers
All of these groups suit the category for virtual reality games for kids and adults and young people. As you would expect, VR games such as MineCraft VR are more applicable in school, training, and fun scenarios as well.