Here we will explain the Xbox One Black Screen and multiple effective methods to fix the Xbox One Black Screen of Death:
Gaming has gone over a lot more than just a passion. Now, it has even turned into a reputable profession. Each day, new advancements are made to gaming devices to enhance the user experience and satisfaction.
In gaming, the Xbox holds a respectable place for itself because it has evolved how gaming started.
But what happens when you are playing a game, and you are on boss level, and suddenly your Xbox screen turns black. In such situations, it becomes confusing about what to do in such an instance.
So in this article, we will discuss the Xbox one black screen of Death error faced by users in Xbox.
Let us begin to learn!!
What You Will Learn:
- Xbox One Black Screen
- What is Black Screen of Death
- Xbox One Black Screen of Death: Top Fixes
- Frequently Asked Questions
Xbox One Black Screen
What is Black Screen of Death
There is a familiar term Blue Screen of Death in the system, and similarly, there is a black screen of death in Xbox, which has the same objective as BSoD, which is preventing the system from a fallout.
Xbox one black screen error is regarded as one of the most complex errors Xbox users face. There are various possibilities for this error for not one sure cause.
- Bugs: Games have various bugs which are improved in the course of usage, so a bug is the most common possibility of a black screen of death in your system. As the bug might have performed some operation that could result in system fallout, Xbox went into black screen mode to prevent it.
- Hardware Configuration: Sometimes users buy hardware irrespective of whether it is even compatible with their devices, so an Xbox black screen of death error can occur if the hardware configurations do not match the Xbox configurations.
- Console Dashboard: Various users have reported that they face Xbox screen black issues when they try to load their dashboard in the system, so you must contact the experts or technicians in such instances.
- Faulty Updates: Various users have reported that the updates of their Xbox have resulted in the Xbox one black screen of death due to some issues with updates and system files.
Xbox One Black Screen of Death: Top Fixes
There are various ways to fix Xbox one black screen on startup and some of them are discussed below:
#1) Quick Fixes
Some methods can serve as the first checks and the quick fixes for issues faced by you while using Xbox, and if these issues continue to spread, you can use more methods listed below, which will allow you to fix the error:
- Press RT + Y to get your console control.
- Set console to offline mode and ensure that you are disconnected from Xbox Live.
- Remove all external hardware connected to the system.
- Try to switch off Xbox and press the Eject button to remove any disc stuck in Xbox.
#2) Return Home
The most common way of fixing the devices if they do not work fine is by restarting them. Sometimes, there are various errors like the cache and memory errors that result in the malfunctioning of the device. By restarting the device, the users reset all the memory occupied and reload all files in the working and ensure that your system works in its best capability.
So you can accomplish this by following the steps listed below:
- A home button will be available at the edge of the Xbox, so you need to press that button for a few seconds, and this will power off your Xbox.
- Now you need to wait for 4-5 mins and then press the power button again for some seconds.
The system will restart, and if the issue is resolved, you can continue gaming, and if it isn’t, you can move further with more methods to fix this issue listed below.
#3) Black Screen While Using Blu-ray Disc
There are some specific system configurations in the settings which can cause this error. Sometimes, the hardware connected has high frequency, whereas, in the settings, the high frequency isn’t enabled. So users must make sure that they should enable the settings for high video frequency in their system.
Follow the steps listed below to fix Xbox one black screen if there is a green screen error:
- Press the Xbox button on your source, which is also known as the settings button.
- A window will appear on your screen, which will look like a menu.
- Navigate to Display and Sound and then navigate to Video Output and click on it.
- Now enable the frequency of your hardware device and save the settings.
Sometimes users buy hardware devices without reading the configuration and compatibility with their system, so you must make sure that you go through the configurations of your Xbox before connecting more hardware devices.
#4) Using AVR in Your Console
By using additional hardware devices in your setup, there are chances that you can fix these issues. You can try to fix this issue by using AVR (Audio/Video receiver) in your console.
Follow the steps listed below to add AVR to your console:
- Turn on your televisions and once video appears on the television, turn on the AVR and then turn on the console.
- Turn the input source of AVR back to HDMI and then back to HDMI1 using the input button on your remote.
- Reboot your AVR and then press the console button, and the menu window will open.
- Navigate to Display and sound, and click on Video Output.
- Then, under the television heading, click on HDMI.
#5) Black Screen After Turning on the Console
When you turn your console on and you notice a black screen, then one should not rush directly to conclusions. There is some set of procedures and tests which have to be performed to ensure that you are facing the most complex Xbox error.
Perform a line test and ensure that all cables are connected securely, and all connections are end to end bonded.
- Make sure that your television is attached to the right input signal.
- Ensure that the cable is fine. You can do this by checking the HDMI cable with another device.
- Try to operate each device separately to ensure that there is no defective device.
If none of the methods listed above come in handy, then you further move to the methods listed below. Also, you can perform a display reset before moving to other forms.
- If you are gaming using a disc, then remove that disc from the console.
- Then press the Xbox button on your console for a few seconds, and you will hear an eject beep and Xbox will restart.
- When your system starts, it will start in the least resolution, which you can change from the settings.
#6) Perform Hard Reset
Always make sure that hard reset remains as your only last alternative before you decide to use it because this method will erase all of the data stored on your Xbox. If your progress in the game is not saved, then it will be lost. If you are playing an offline game where your data is not stored on any server, then you will lose it all.
So you need to make sure that you use it as one of the last resorts. So follow the steps listed below to perform a hard reset on your system:
- Start your Xbox, and if the black screen appears on your screen, press the Xbox button on the console, and the eject button together for some seconds and a screen will appear as displayed in the image below, click on “Reset this Xbox”.
- Navigate to the system option and click on “Remove everything” as displayed in the image below.
- Now the console will start resetting as displayed in the image below.
This process might take a few seconds, and when this will complete the process, the system will start afresh, but you might lose your gaming progress.
Here is the video tutorial for reference:
#7) Request repair
If you have bought Xbox recently or it is in the warranty period, you can also get your Xbox fixed without any fee or get it replaced. So, for the same, you must make sure that you have linked your Microsoft account with the Xbox official page and registered your device as it paces the process.
Note: If your device is in the warranty period, you might get a free repair or replacement, but if it is not in the warranty period, you will be charged a certain fee for the services.
So you need to follow the steps listed below to request a repair for your device:
- Open Xbox’s official website and locate the Help and Support column and click on “Sign In” as displayed in the image below.
- Now log in using your Microsoft Account as displayed in the image below. If you have already registered using your device, then simply choose the device else to register it.
- Now, under various errors, you need to click on Display issue, and then a small textbox will appear.
- You can mention details like your warranty and the issue you face in this section and submit the complaint.
- This will record the complaint and send the mail for the same to your account, and the company will assist.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q #1) Why is my Xbox showing a black screen?
Answer: There are various reasons responsible for the black screen of death in your system, and some of them are listed below.
- Hardware Configuration
- Console Dashboard
- Faulty Updates
Q #2) How do you fix the black screen of death on Xbox one?
Answer: There are various ways of fixing this and some of them are listed below:
- Quick repair
- Hard reset
- Contact company
- Using AVR in console
Q #3) Is the black screen of death fixable?
Answer: It majorly occurs due to incompatible hardware and bugs in the system, so in the majority of cases, you can fix it. In contrast, in the other ones you need to contact the experts and ask for a repair.
Q #4) Why is my Xbox turning on but not working?
Answer: If your Xbox is turning on and you can see only a dark screen, then there are chances you are facing an Xbox black screen of death error, so you can first try to restart Xbox before running to conclusions.
Q #5) How long does Xbox one last?
Answer: The answer to this question completely depends on how the Xbox is used, but with proper care and use Xbox can last up to 10 years.
Xbox has allowed users to take their gaming passion to the next level. As for coders, a fast machine is required to bring efficiency to work, similar way for gamers, an advanced Xbox is all they need. But sometimes, they face various errors with their Xbox, which can be very annoying at times.
So, in this article, we have discussed a complex Xbox error known as the Xbox one Black Screen error and have learned how to fix it by following a series of methods which included quick fixes, hard reset, and connecting AVR.
So this article covers all methods which can allow you to fix this Xbox Black Screen error.