Wondering about paying bills to the Attorney? Read this review to select the best Legal Billing Software explained with features, pros, and cons:
Legal billing apps greatly streamline the client management process for legal professionals. It improves the billing process and saves time in processing bills. The apps automate the task of billing and sending out invoices promptly.
Here, we will review the best-rated law firm’s billing software. This review will help in selecting the best lawyer billing software.
Let us begin!
What You Will Learn:
- Understanding Legal Billing Software
- FAQs About Law Firm Billing Software
- List of the Best Legal Billing Software
Understanding Legal Billing Software
Market Trends: The legal billing software market size was expected to be $899.78 million in 2020. The market size is projected to reach about $2.2692 billion in 2027. The following graph shows the expected increase in the market size of legal billing software between 2020 and 2027.
Figure: Projected Increase in Market Size of Legal Billing App [2020-2027]
Expert Advice: Check the features of the legal billing app to ensure that it meets your requirements. Make sure to test the software by purchasing a trial version before committing to a monthly or annual package.
FAQs About Law Firm Billing Software
Q #1) What is legal software for example?
Answer: Time and billing software for law firms streamline the workflow of attorneys. The legal app contains many features. For example, legal billing software may contain features such as electronic bill generation, search clients, mobile access, and app integrations.
Q #2) What is the best legal billing software?
Answer: The best legal billing software that has received the most positive reviews includes Clio, MyCase, Bilr, Time Doctor, and TimeSolv.
Q #3) Is there free billing software?
Answer: Attorneys can also use free billing software. But the free version has limited features that won’t meet the needs of most legal professionals.
Q #4) What is E-billing legal software?
Answer: Legal electronic billing software replaces traditional paper bills. E-billing legal apps save time in managing client information. With e-billing apps, attorneys don’t have to go through paper bills and manually enter information.
Q #5) What are some benefits of legal billing software?
Answer: Using an attorney billing app improves client management for legal professionals. Legal billing software will help save time in processing client billing information. It automates the client billing process. The app also reduces the human error involved in entering data.
List of the Best Legal Billing Software
Some time-worthy lawyer billing software:
- Time Doctor
- Rocket Matter
- Zola Suite
Comparison Table of Top Attorney Billing Software
|Tool Name||Best For||Platform||Price||Ratings
|Clio||Attorney and paralegal staff for managing a law firm||iOS 11 and higher, Android 8 and higher, macOS 10.11 and higher, Windows 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 (64-bit only)||$39 - $129 per user per month|
|MyCase||Attorneys and small law firm owners to increase efficiency in case management.||iOS 12 and higher, Android 6 and higher, macOS 10.13 and higher, Windows 8 and higher||$39 - $79 per user per month|
|Bilr||Attorneys and non-legal vendors manage time and billing information.||Windows, macOS, Linux||Standard: $24.95 per month|
Trial: 14 days
|Time Doctor||Legal professionals and teams in companies with a hybrid work model||iOS 13 and higher, Android 8 and higher, macOS X and higher, Windows 8 and higher||$7 - $20 per user per month|
|TimeSolv||Lawyers, accountants, and business consultants to track billable hours.||iOS 13 and higher, Android 8 and higher, macOS X and higher, Windows 8 and higher||Trial:30 days|
Best for managing a law firm while on the move to organize cases, contacts, and more.
Clio helps attorneys and paralegal staff in legal case management while on the move. The mobile app allows legal professionals to organize cases, contacts, bills, and more. The app features unlimited document storage, allowing you to store detailed case information.
The legal billing software allows you to track time and bill customers at an hourly rate. You can also record flat or contingency fees based on your work model. The software allows you to manage activities, case information, schedule calendars, and more.
- Organize cases
- Manage your contact and billing information
- Online calendar
- Unlimited document storage
- Access from anywhere
- Easy user interface
- Create customized bill plans
- Send bills through a built-in client portal or email
- Inflexible formatting options
- Issues with document templates
Verdict: Clio is the best legal billing software for small businesses. The software is one of the easiest billing management solutions.
- EasyStart: $39 per user per month
- Essentials: $69 per user per month
- Advanced: $99 per user per month
- Complete: $129 per user per month
- Trial: Yes | 7 days
Best for attorneys and small law firm owners to increase efficiency in case management.
MyCase is a comprehensive legal case billing solution for law professionals. The app provides all the important functions to streamline the operation of case management. The legal case management app supports features such as document and contract management, emails, calendars, and customer billing.
The basic version supports essential functions, such as time and expense tracking, online billing, calendar, and financial reporting. It also supports unlimited document storage. You can opt for the advanced version if you want advanced features such as signatures, 2-way texting, custom fields, a secure cloud portal, and integrations with external apps.
- Document management
- Contacts information
- Email Invoices
- Tasks and invoices management
- Time management
- Keep track of legal team activity
- Spend less time with automatic invoice generate
- Create multiple invoices at once
- View detailed reports of every case on the dashboard
- Cumbersome integration with apps
- Downtime during busy hours
Verdict: MyCase is also easy-to-use billing software for legal professionals. The app will meet the needs of busy legal professionals in managing cases and client billing information.
- Basic: $39 per user per month
- Pro: $59 per user per month
- Advanced: $79 per user per month
- Free Trial: Yes | 10 days
Best for attorneys and non-legal vendors to manage time and billing information.
Bilr increases the efficiency of legal staff in entering billing information. The app automates the time tracking and billing information. It also integrates with various third-party apps.
A unique feature of the billing app is voice-enabled time tracking. You can record billable invoices on your smartphone. Invoices can be sent automatically using machine learning and artificial intelligence algorithms.
- Voice-enabled timekeeping
- Multiple bills
- Cloud Bill Management
- Hourly and flat fee
- AI/ML-based functions
- Automate billing information
- No desktop app
Verdict: Bilr is a modern billing app created for law firm owners and attorneys. The app provides a streamlined way to manage time and billing information.
- Standard: $24.95 per month
- Free Trial
#4) Time Doctor
Best for legal professionals and teams in companies with a hybrid work model.
Time Doctor is a user-friendly legal billing app. The app supports basic and advanced case management features. Legal professionals can use the app to monitor tasks and time related to individual cases.
Legal staff can use the app to monitor and access client data. The app allows a team of 20+ employees to work collaboratively on cases. The smart time monitoring feature analyzes tasks and creates pop-up notifications for staff to boost productivity.
- Time and activity tracking
- Unlimited screenshots
- Task and project monitoring
- Email notifications
- Payroll integration
- Intuitive dashboard for activity monitoring
- Detailed reporting and analytics
- Customized payroll interaction
- Integrate with Payoneer, Paypal, and more
- Support bulk billing
- High learning curve
Verdict: Time Doctor is a good billing management app. The only downside is that the user interface is a bit complicated. Training is required for the staff to use the app.
Further Reading => List of the Best LLC Services to Look For
- Basic: $7 per user per month
- Standard: $10 per user per month
- Premium: $20 per user per month
- Trial: Yes | 14 days
Website: Time Doctor
Best for lawyers, accountants, and business consultants to track billable hours.
TimeSolv is a comprehensive legal billing app for legal and non-legal professionals. The app supports a flexible billing option. There is also an option for hourly, fixed, and consolidated fee recording.
With TimeSolv, you can create recurring expenses. You can set up yearly, monthly, and weekly expenses. The subscription includes free training and support for the staff. In addition, a dedicated billing specialist will help streamline the task of recording and keeping track of bills.
- Track time offline and online
- Create budgets
- Daily to-do list
- Customized invoicing
- Track key metrics
- Track time and tasks from anywhere
- Cost-effective billing software
- Detailed and intuitive interface
- Get paid faster with integrated payment processing
- No client relationship management feature
- Bookkeeping features require a separate subscription
Verdict: TimeSolv is another good legal billing app that supports a lot of features. The standout feature of the app is the integrated payment process that helps in getting paid faster.
- Starts at $32.36 per user per month
#6) Rocket Matter
Best for law firms and professionals to offer efficient client service on Windows, macOS, iOS, and Android devices.
Rocket Matter is a cloud-based billing software that supports a lot of case management features. It has an easy user interface that features advanced billing and task management. The billing management software allows you to store a lot of information, including tasks, emails, documents, and billable time.
Legal professionals can manage projects visually using Kanban boards. The app allows credit and eCheck payment processing. You can easily share documents with team members and clients via a secure portal.
- Schedule and track expenses and billable hours
- Conflict Management Feature
- Support Trust Accounting
- Advanced reporting – allocation reports, new business reports, budget, team performance reports
- Supports automated billing
- The advanced reporting feature provides detailed insights
- Highly customizable interfaces
- Supports role restrictions for case management
- Not user friendly
- Expensive than most competitors
Verdict: Rocket Matter is fit for both small and large-sized firms. You should select the Premium version if you want hands-off billing and detailed reporting.
- Essential: $39 per user per month
- Pro: $59 per user per month
- Premier: $89 per month
- Trial: Yes | 10 days
Website: Rocket Matter
Best for legal professionals to record time and activity on Windows, macOS, iOS, and Android devices.
Smokeball is a robust client management app for professionals. The app supports advanced bill management features. Using the app, you can record time spent on each task so that you can bill clients.
The best feature of the app that makes it different than other billing apps is the 20k+ preloaded court forms. This helps in filing cases for clients. You can easily access the app on your smartphone. The app also provides detailed insights into the performance and profitability of the law firm.
- Basic Contact Management
- Time and expense monitoring
- Online payment processing
- Trust accounting and reporting
- Intelligent lead management and workflow
- Automated time and activity monitoring saves time
- A daily digest of tasks summarizes activities for the staff
- Contains a large library of pre-automated court forms
- Support both online and offline access
- Integration with apps is not smooth
- Lacks automated repeat invoicing feature
Verdict: Smokeball has an easy user interface that streamlines the task of recording case information for legal professionals. The automated case management feature saves time and resources in managing bills.
- Start: $29 per user per month
- Grow: $99 per user per month
- Prosper: $149 per user per month
- Trial: Yes | 7 days
Best for legal professionals, HR, accountants, and event planners to manage tasks and activities.
Filevine is one of the leading legal case management software. The app is highly configurable with lots of task management features. It supports automation and detailed analytics.
The legal cloud app allows the remote team to collaborate and work together using notes and document-sharing features. The platform stores all the data in one place, streamlines team collaboration, and improves productivity.
- Access control permissions
- Integration with accounting apps
- Intuitive dashboard
- API integration
- Alerts and Notifications
- Smooth and efficient workflow
- Customizable to the firm’s requirements
- Streamlined customer relation management
- Remote team collaboration
- Limited features to customize contact cards
Verdict: Filevine is a good overall legal management application. The only downside of the app is that it can be a bit slow even with a fast internet connection.
Price: Get a Quote
#9) Zola Suite
Best for end-to-end case management using front and back office tools on Windows, macOS, Linux, and mobile devices.
Zola Suite is one of the few end-to-end case management applications that support lots of advanced time and billing features. The app allows 11+ ways to create time entries. In addition, you can generate customized and appealing invoices for clients.
The legal billing app supports documentation and email management. It is a complete Customer Relations Management (CRM) tool for improving client relationships. The app also supports advanced document management and automated features.
- Supports LEDES and UTBMS invoicing
- Trust checks and process payments
- Batch billing
- Legal accounting features
- Advanced reports offer real-time visibility of firm performance
- Download and view account information from major financial firms
- Support robust case-centric accounting features
- Design calendar events as billable activities
- Payroll processing is not supported
- Subscription required for calendar management
Verdict: Zola Suite allows advanced customization when capturing time and bills. It allows the management to know about the financial performance of the firm without relying on an external accounting app.
- Core: $59 per user per month
- Enterprise: $79 per user per month
- Enterprise Plus: $89 per user per month
- Trial: Yes | 10 days
Website: Zola Suite
Best for cloud-based billing, time management, and accounting for law firms of all sizes on any device.
Soluno is a feature-rich cloud legal case management app. The app contains basic case and contact management features. It also supports trust banking and billing for law firms.
With Soluno, you can generate accounting and financial reports for detailed insights into your firm’s performance. The cloud accounting platform allows the legal team to work remotely with a secure platform. Open API allows integration with industry-leading apps such as Office 365, LawPay, NetDocuments, and more.
- Contact and case management
- Expenses and time monitoring
- Trust banking
- Productivity and finance reporting
- Ability to handle basic and advanced tasks
- Allows Trust Accounting
- Secure cloud collaboration
- Robust reporting
- Reports cannot be customized
Verdict: Soluno is easy-to-use legal billing software that saves time in managing bills. You don’t need to use an external accounting app for tracking financial information.
- Standard: $79 per user per month *minimum 3 users
- Trial: No
Best for attorneys and legal firms for time and billing management.
LawBillity is a robust legal billing software for attorneys and law firms. The app allows you to track time and convert data into branded invoices. You can customize the invoice with a custom logo and company name.
The app allows you to track client invoices and send automatic reminders that will help you get paid faster. The app also supports integration with leading third-party apps. You can use the app with popular platforms such as Invoice Tracker, QuickBooks, and LawPay.
- UTBMS billing codes
- LSS & LEDES invoice formats
- Conflict verification
- Trust Accounting
- Realization reports
- Accurately record time down to seconds
- Track billable and unbillable tasks
- Converted tracked time into invoices
- Free connection to LawPay
- We cannot customize reports
Verdict: LawBillity is a professional billing tool for legal firms. The app is reasonably priced and offers great value for money.
- Starts at $24 per user per month
- Free Trial: Yes | 14 days
Best for all types of legal firms to track billable hours and perform other case management tasks on any system.
AbacusNext is a robust lawyer billing software that saves time and improves efficiency in managing cases. The app has all the features required for efficient case management, such as contacts, document storage, team collaboration, calendar, and conflict resolution.
You can select one of the three legal management apps including Zola Suite, AbacusLaw, and Amicus Attorney. Zola Suite is an end-to-end cloud case management solution for small legal firms. AbacusLaw is a case management software with a built-in accounting feature.
Amicus Attorney is a comprehensive legal case management app that supports integration with Microsoft 365 and QuickBooks.
- APX PayNow
- Integration with Microsoft 365 and QuickBooks
- Online and offline access
- Centralized case management features – communications, contacts, calendar, conflict management
- Allow clients to pay through an email link
- Automated court rules allow you to stay ahead of deadlines
- Secure private cloud connection
- Built-in billing and invoicing
- Calendar integration
- Premium versions are expensive
Verdict: AbacusNext is a comprehensive billing and case management app with lots of features. The app is best for invoicing, billing, and client management. You can use the app for tracking tasks and expenses on mobile and desktop devices.
- Zola Suite: $59 per user per month
- Abacus Law: Custom pricing
- Amicus Attorney: Custom pricing
- Trial: No | Free Demo
When selecting legal billing software, consider the features and make sure that the software supports team collaboration, time tracking, and automated invoice generation features.
Based on our review, the best attorney billing software with essential features for case management includes Clio, MyCase, and Bilr. Legal professionals who want a comprehensive accounting app to track financial performance should select Soluno.
If you are looking for cheap legal billing software, you should consider Time Doctor. TimeSolv is the best app for remote billing and case management for small businesses.
- Time Taken to Research this Article: Writing this article on the best billing software in 2023 took us about 10 hours.
- Total Tools Researched: 25
- Top Tools Shortlisted: 12