Some Interesting Software Testing Interview Questions

This Article Answers Some of The Most Frequently Asked Software Testing Interview Questions. Read This Post to Prepare for Software Testing Interview:

In this post, I am going to answer some of the questions asked by one of the readers Srinivas M.

Interesting Software Testing Interview

Q #1) In an application currently in production, one module of code is being modified. Is it necessary to re-test the whole application or is it enough to just test functionality associated with that module?

Vijay: Well, the answer is both. You will have to test the functionality of that module as well as the other modules. It also depends on the module you are modifying.

All the modules should be tested because new changes might have an impact on the other modules as well. You can, therefore, differentiate by the stress given on the module which is to be tested.

I think this scenario will explain the answer to your question well.

If Module A is modified, Module B is depending on module A, and Module C is a general module independent of module A.

In this case, you will first test the module A in depth. Your next stress will be on the module B. But what about module C? This module will be tested as well but with less stress, because module C does not depend on module A for its functioning, rather it depends on module B.

If you are a white box tester, you must be knowing which modules are to be tested and which ones can be affected. But in case you are a black box tester, you will be required to do Regression Testing as well.

Regression tests should be carried out on only those modules associated with the modified module.

Q #2) What is the most challenging situation you have faced during testing?

Vijay: A very good question indeed! A few years back, when I had switched my job, I had been asked the same question by my interviewer. A perfect answer to this question usually depends on the challenges experienced by an individual.

Software Testing has a lot of challenges both in the Manual as well as in Automation.

Discovering a bug that was difficult to be found out could be the answer to this question. It was quite challenging for me. Fixing these un-reproducible bugs can be difficult but is often possible.

Always keep in mind that whenever you are answering such a question, be realistic and don’t stress. Do not let anyone dull your sparkle. Just be yourself.

Q #3) What are you going to do if there is no Functional Spec or any documents related to the system and developer who wrote the code does not work in the company anymore, but you have a system and need to test?

Vijay: It is, unfortunately, one of the typical situations in Indian companies because of the high attrition rate.

In this case, you need to do the Exploratory Testing of the product. It is about exploring, finding out about the software, what it does, what it doesn’t do, what works and what doesn’t work.

In this testing, you will come to know about the system and its basic workflow. In Exploratory Testing, you can also discover ‘blocker’ bugs that are harmful to your system and therefore, protect your system from being crashed.

If you are a white box tester, the next step is to look for different module codes. By this, you will be able to analyze the test cases for different modules and their relations.

If you have any further questions please comment below.

Recommended Reading

340 thoughts on “Some Interesting Software Testing Interview Questions”

1. Hi All,

I am looking for a QA Lead (Software Testing) for one of our client companies.

Basic Requirement:
    5+ years of work experience in software testing
    Automation Testing experience is essential
    Team leading experience

Location: Powai, Mumbai
    CTC: 6-8 Lacs per annum

People who furnish the above mentioned criteria can only apply.
    Interested candidates can forward their updated CVz @ mohammad.adil@mangoconsulting.net

Kind Regards,
    Mohammad Adil
    +918410425444

2. @BIPIN, are you serious telling Vijay to speed up answering the questions? Most of these question are poorly asked and many can be looked up on the internet for themselves. How is he supposed to tell you what interview questions will be expected for example, for someone with 1 year experience? This is unpredictable and varies by project or company. I have 12 years QA experience and never seem to know what to expect on an interview, the key is to know software testing and it is variable.

3. when testers not having proper documents for preparing test scenarios and cases then testers can go for Exploratory testing that means by using screen shots provided by developers testers can go for testing

4. 1. What exact work you do in your office as a tester?
    2. After 5 years what you want to be? QA Lead? Why not something else?
    3. As a tester how do you use Fiddler tool?
    Please answer these questions

5. Hi,can any one give me some suggestion I am 2008 passed out now I want to be in software field as a tester how can i go ahead to get a job in this field.

6. hello vijay sir;
    i have 1+ exp in manual testing , but my company is small and not registered on Ministry of corporate affairs ,
    is that any problem if i apply in any big company coz if they will inquiry for same , there is chances of my candidature blacklist .
    kindly guide me what i do..!!

7. Hi Sir,
    My Name is Neelesh, I have read your all the Answer, its very useful. I learns much more.i want to know that, I have 2.6 Years exp in manual testing and i want to switch, Can you suggest me how can find a good job…thanks in Advance…..

8. Hi Vijay,

I was just going through ur posts, its quite useful. I work as a DWH and BI report tester in a software company with 4 years of experience in the same.

I wanted to know can we automate BI reports through QTP? Please let me know if not QTP what is best to automate BI reports.

Please do let me know if doing QTP course would serve my purpose.

I have always been aware of QTP used to automate some Online transactions like websites and other stuff rather than WEBI reports.

Thanks, in advance.

9. i want to know wat questions are asked for 1 year experienced people on automation qtp,based on project online crm which is hybrid framework driven n i want d answers for it, plzz post

10. Hi,
    My Name is shivangi, I have 2.6 Years exp in manual and automation testing and i want to switch, Can you suggest me how can find a good job as i updated my resume on portals but still not getting calls, plz suggest smthing…thanks in Advance…..

11. Hi I have 3.9 years of experince in manual testing. Can u tell me the interview mode , like wat all the phases like technical interview will be available in walkin

12. hi
    i want to change from current company to other.
    so vijay help me out what are the questions mainly i face, as i am working on manual testing from past 1 year till now

thanks
    regards.
    prem

13. Hello All

It seems like Vijay has disappeared :) or vanished into thin air…..(just pun intended)

Vijay initially has done an awesome job, but sooner or later he probably got busy in work or forgot about this blog. Anyways many thanks for Vijay.

I have a request to all people who are posting in blogs like this. First of all this page is solely intended to discuss Software Testing interview questions. Please refrain from posting your resumes and educational background details. It consumes page space and a potential information seeker has to scroll through yards of junk to find what he or she needs here. Many people here are using abbreviations. Agree that you know the term, but there are many beginners and even experienced people who may not be familiar with the abbreviations. For example Hema in her post mentioned terms like DWH and BI…..please elaborate. It helps others.

Another important thing is language. Though I found so many BTechs and MTechs in this blog posting their resumes and asking questions, most of their language is weak. If you are not able to communicate properly, then you are a failure especially if you are a tester or wanna be tester. Communication is key in testing. If you are not able to elaborate a bug scenario in words, then the whole point is not done. You need to be very strong in communication skills. Many of you lack that. Please do not use U for you, thr for there, wt for what etc. Using such chat language in a professional or technical conversation is considered as negligence and unprofessional. If you dont change your habit now, you are in for larger trouble later.

To become a good tester, you need to be

Good at language
    A fast learner
    Very alert
    Good imagination
    Strong writing skills

Those are primary things.

14. @ Pramod
    I’ve not gone anywhere :) I am here to help everyone and just got little busier to respond to each and every comment. I don’t post any article without a detailed review. We now try to provide 100% value in each of our articles. Rest assured that all of our latest post will have answers to your questions.

15. Hi Vijay,

what does ‘Test Strategy’ mean? is it
    a set of ‘Test Plan’, ‘Creating Test Cases’ ‘Test Execution’ and ‘Defect Reporting’.

Please let me know if i am wrong.

16. My question is if I am going to face the interview for job of storekeeper if his ask me which software is using to make storekeeper job so pls tell me

17. Hi,

One question was asked to me in one of the interviews, I want to share the same. Please suggest the answers.

Q: Provide some high level test-cases for whatsapp application.
    (Test-cases which a tester will execute and focus on if whatsapp is being released tomorrow for the first time).

18. Hi Vijay,

I Read your answers all are given full of confidence.
    I have an question:
    Can you tell me any scenario of High priority and low severity. But example should not be related to any cosmetic error.

My email id Sucheta.rana123@gmail.com.
    please response.

19. Hi,
    I have got this question in my recent interview,and i need exact answer for this.my question is.

write the Scenario for Delivery Charge.
    If 10 kilometer in week days, charge is 100
    if stirs is added in week days, extra 50 will be charged.
    if it is weekend Flat 500RS for any distance.

Delivery may be anything.Thank you

20. Hi Vijay,
    can you please tell me the steps that needs to be performed as a terster,if there is last minute change in the requirements.

21. Hi guys/Girl,

My self Vamsi having 8+ years of experience in Testing. if any one of u have question plz ask me you can mail me I will respond.

If you have any question related to testing/testing career plz feel to contact me(vamsiroyal2000@gmail.com)

22. Hi vijay,
    This is Aarthy. I worked as aResearch Analyst for a year. Now i Want to change my career to Testing. I have done Manual Testing Course and currently doing selenium and java. I going to show 2+ years of experience in Manual Testing, so can u plz send all the possible question and answers for 2+ years experience.

23. hi vijay sir i have 3 years experience..now i want change my company can u give me some question as experience levels

24. Hello everyone …

Good to see more questions shared here on testing.

I am too looking for real time scenario questions (3 + years automation QTP) along with answers if possible as it would be more useful to attend my interview.

Thanks in advance

25. So, can we say show stopper & bug blocker one and the same thing?

If yes, then Please provide me a realistic example.

Thanks!
    Nishant Kumar

26. Hi Vijay,
    Your blog is very useful. Thanks. I have 3+ yrs of experience in ETL & manual testing. I faced some questions pls answer.
    1. How to populate million records in single SQL query?
    2. What was the critical query you wrote?
    3. What is traceability matrix?
    4. Do you aware about ACH? If yes, why it is used in project?
    5. What are the responsibilities of ETL tester? Give with examples/ SQL queries?
    6. Explain your last project..
    7. What is difference between retesting & regression testing?
    8. Why you opt for quality post?

Specially 6th question, My project is on healthcare insurance application, please suggest how to explain with 1 sample project on this domain.

You can send me answers to- koribp@gmail.com.