List and detailed comparison of the best free Voice and Speech Recognition Software for Mac and Windows in 2019:
What is Voice recognition software?
Voice recognition software is an application which makes use of speech recognition algorithms to identify the spoken languages and act accordingly.
This software analyzes the sound and tries to convert it into text. These systems are available for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, and Windows Phone devices.
Voice recognition or dictation software can capture the word you say and type it on a computer. It can be helpful to the people who are physically disabled and for those who cannot work on the computer.
As per the Gartner, 30% of interactions with the technology are performed through conversations.
As per the BBC, these systems should be able to recognize 95% of the sound correctly. While using this software one should talk clearly. Each and every person has a different voice, hence the speech recognition system should ask for enrollment of the voice before it gets used.
Using this software, one can write the whole document. But for accuracy, careful dictation is required. The software also supports editing of the document. For this, the software supports commands like ‘Select line’ or ‘Select paragraph’. After completion, the proofreading of the document is very important.
Factors which should be considered for selecting the software include accuracy, comprehension, ease of use, setup, supported languages, and price of the software.
What You Will Learn:
- Best Voice Recognition Software Reviews
- Comparison of the Best Speech Recognition Software
- #1) Dragon Naturally Speaking
- #2) Dragon Anywhere
- #3) Google Now
- #4) Google Cloud Speech API
- #5) Google Docs Voice Typing
- #6) Siri
- #7) Amazon Lex
- #8) Microsoft Bing Speech API
- #9) Cortana
- #10) Voice Finger
- Additional Speech Recognition Tools to Consider
- Recommended Reading
Best Voice Recognition Software Reviews
A list of the most popular Voice or Speech Dictation Software used by the users worldwide with complete details is provided below.
Comparison of the Best Speech Recognition Software
|Speech Recognition Software||Best For||Platform||Free Trial||Price|
|Dragon Naturally Speaking||Overall dictation and voice recognition||Windows OS||No||Dragon-|
Home is $150,
Professional Individual is $300,
Legal Individual is $500.
|Google Now||Android Mobile Devices||Android & iOS devices.||-||Free|
|Siri||iOS devices||iOS devices.||-||Free|
|Cortana||Windows devices.||Windows 10, iOS, Android, and Windows phone devices||-||Free|
|Amazon Lex||Creating Chatbot.||Used in the applications.||No||Based on the no. of speech requests processed.|
#1) Dragon Naturally Speaking
Best as an overall dictation and voice recognition software.
Price: Dragon Home is for $150, Dragon Professional Individual is for $300, and Dragon Legal Individual is for $500.
It is also called Dragon for PC. It can be used for personal as well as for official purposes.
Dragon Home can be used by anyone i.e. from students to daily multi-taskers. Dragon Professional Individual is useful for professional individuals and small businesses.
- Dragon Home will help you in several daily activities like dictating homework assignments, sending emails, and even in web surfing.
- Dragon Professional Individual helps working individuals and small businesses in creating and transcribing documents, inserting a signature, or customizing the vocabulary.
- It can be synchronized with Dragon Anywhere.
- Dragon Legal Individual is for helping legal professional and small practices in streamlining the legal documentation.
Website: Dragon Naturally Speaking
#2) Dragon Anywhere
Best suited for iOS users.
Price: A free trial is available for 7 days. For one month, it will cost you $15. For three months, it will be $40 and for 12 months the cost will be $150.
Dragon Anywhere is the dictation software by Nuance for iOS devices. It is a cloud-based solution. It is for dictation and editing of documents of any length.
It provides you a cloud-based speech recognition tool. This means that you will be able to access the versions of the documents even from the mobile. This application will allow you to save your text to Evernote. Document formats like .docx, .rtf, .rrtfd, and text are also supported.
- Tasks like saving the document on a cloud, sending it by email, or importing the existing one, can be done through voice.
- It provides encryption to all your communications.
- No personal information is required for using the app.
- It will allow you to add custom words.
Website: Dragon Anywhere
#3) Google Now
Best suited for Android Mobile Devices.
Google Now is the feature of Google Search of the Google App. This feature is available for Android and iOS devices. Though it is available for iOS devices, it works best on Android devices.
- It is well integrated with Android OS so that it can be used to perform any function.
- On Android devices, Google Now can be used for receiving calls, sending text messages, and for opening and closing the app.
- For iOS devices, it can be used for searching functionality.
Website: Google Now
#4) Google Cloud Speech API
Best in recognizing 120 languages.
Price: Speech recognition and video speech recognition is free for 0-60 minutes. From 60 minutes to 1 million minutes, speech recognition can be used at a rate of $0.006 per 15 seconds.
Similarly, video recognition can be used at the rate of $0.012 per 15 seconds. These prices are for the API to be used on the personal systems. If you want to use the API on embedded systems like cars and TVs then the prices will be different.
Google Cloud Speech API can be used for short form and long form video. It can be used for the processing of real-time streaming and pre-recorded audio. It automatically transcribes the correct nouns, dates, and phone numbers.
- It can filter the inappropriate content.
- It is accurate in transcribing punctuation.
- It supports 120 languages.
- It automatically recognizes the spoken language.
Website: Google Cloud Speech API
#5) Google Docs Voice Typing
Best suited for Dictation on Google Docs.
Google Docs Voice Typing is integrated with Google Suite and hence it is the perfect tool if you want the dictation and voice recognition to be paired with Google suite. It is indeed a very cost-effective solution.
- Supports 43 languages.
- The cursor can be moved around in the document by using the command “go to the end of the document”.
- It can understand the context of the speech.
Website: Google Docs Voice Typing
Best suited for iOS mobile devices.
Siri is the virtual assistant for Apple devices. 21 languages are supported by Siri. It will be pre-installed on Apple devices. It can respond in its own voice.
- It can connect a call to someone and can send text messages.
- It will help you to know ‘Who is calling you?’
- It can set alarms, timers, and reminders.
#7) Amazon Lex
Best suited for creating a Chatbot.
Amazon Lex is used in the applications to build a conversational interface. The developed bot can be used in the Chat platform, IoT devices, and mobile clients.
- It can be integrated with AWS Lambda.
- Integration with AWS Lambda will give an application the power to trigger the functions and retrieve the data.
- It has the ability for multi-turn conversations.
- There are two types of prompts i.e. confirmation prompt and error handling prompts.
- With the help of Amazon Lex, you will be able to apply versioning to Intents, Slot Types, and Bots which are created by you.
- It provides 8 kHz telephony audio support.
Price: Pricing of Amazon Lex is shown in the below image.
Website: Amazon Lex
#8) Microsoft Bing Speech API
Best for accuracy and ease of use.
Price: Pricing details are not provided by the company.
Microsoft speech recognition API is used to transcribe the speech into text. This transcribed text can be displayed by the application or the application can respond or act as per the command. It can also perform text to speech conversion in many different languages.
- It supports 15 languages for dictation mode and 5 languages for conversion mode.
- It is useful for real-time continuous recognition.
- For interactive, conversion, and dictation scenarios, this API makes the best use of speech recognition results.
Website: Microsoft Bing Speech API
Best suited for Windows users.
Cortana is a virtual assistant which comes with Windows 10 systems and Windows phone. It is also available for Android and iOS devices.
Functions which Cortana can perform are mentioned below:
- Supported languages include English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Chinese, and Spanish.
- Composing and sending a text message.
- Updating the calendar, reminders, and to-do-lists.
- Music playing.
- Checking the weather.
#10) Voice Finger
Best for customizable command capability.
Price: It can be downloaded for free. The full version is available at a price of $9.99.
Using Voice Finger, you will be able to control the computer with voice only. There will be no need to use a keyboard and a mouse.
- You can control the mouse and keyboard.
- It supports Windows speech recognition commands.
- With this tool, you will be able to perform tasks with zero computer contact.
Website: Voice Finger
Additional Speech Recognition Tools to Consider
#11) Via Talk:
Via Talk is a VoIP phone service.
It will allow you to check voicemail via phone, web browser, and email. It will not let you miss a call as the call will get forwarded. It can record and save the conversation. It will cost you $7.87 per month for first two years. Later, You can upgrade it for $8.95.
Website: Via Talk
Tazti is a voice recognition software which supports the Windows operating system.
It can be used to control applications, games, and robots. It will allow you to add your own custom speech commands. You can buy the tool for $19.99.
e-Speaking is a free speech recognition software for your computer. It provides 100 built-in commands. It has seamless integration with Office. It works with the Windows operating system.
#14) AV Voice Changer Software Diamond:
AV Voice Changer Software Diamond is the tool for changing the voice.
It supports all popular VoIP and Instant messaging applications like Skype and WhatsApp. It will allow you to capture audio streams from different applications. It can be used on any version of Windows operating system. You can download this application for free but the full version is available at $99.72.
Website: AV Voice Changer Software Diamond
Braina is an application for Windows operating system.
It is supported by Artificial Intelligence. It will work for any website or software. You can use it as a calculator. It can be used as a dictionary. It can open and search a file for you. One of the unique features of Braina is that it can remember notes for you.
In this article, we have compared the top voice recognition software that is available in the market.
Each of them is best for different categories. Dragon Naturally Speaking is best as an overall speech recognition software. Dragon Anywhere and Siri are best for iOS users. Cortana is best for Windows users.
Google Now is best for Android Mobile devices. For the dictation on Google Docs, Google Docs Voice Typing is the best option. For creating Chatbot, Amazon Lex is the best option.
Every tool has different pricing policies, where some are charging for the product, some are charging a monthly fee, and some are charging based on the number of speech requests. Meanwhile, Google Now, Google Docs Voice Typing, Siri, and Cortana are available for free.
Hope this informative article on Speech or Voice Recognition Software was useful to you!