This is a part – II of testing certification series. If you missed the last article on the testing certification you can check it out here. In the last article, we discussed on four important software testing certifications namely – CSTE, CSTP, CTM, and HP QTP Certification.
In this article we’ll be discussing on remaining five important software testing certifications:
1) ISEB & ISTQB
Here are the details on these certifications eligibility, exam patterns and how to apply guide.
What You Will Learn:
1) ISEB & ISTQB:
ISEB (The Information systems Examinations Board) certification is the step taken forward by a chartered institute for IT called BCS (British Computer Society), to support the career of IT professionals in IT field. ISEM was formed in 1990 which is a division of BCS. This professional certification is available in foundation, practitioner and advanced level to cater the needs of each IT testing aspirant. While ISTQB stands for “International Software Testing Qualifications Board,” and it was formed in late 2002. Both are similar certifications, at the foundation level are same, in essence. The only distinguishing factor is that ISEB is the UK specific whereas ISTQB is international certification.
BCS offers following internationally recognized qualification in following subjects:
- IT Service Management
- Software Testing
- Sustainable IT
- Business Analysis/Change
- Solution Development
- Project Management and Support
- IT Governance, Information and Security
- IT Assets and Infrastructure
Following are the levels at which both of this certification are available to suit the needs of every professional:
- Foundation Level – Certification at this level provides the broad coverage of a specific area. This is specifically designed to enhance the knowledge set and future scope of managers. Its cost is £130.
- Intermediate Level – Intermediate level certification exam is focused in examining the subject in more detail which acts as the basis for the practitioner level certification. Its cost is £110.
- Practitioner Level – This level exam lay emphasis on a specific skill within a subject area in a more detailed manner to provide the practical knowledge of IT skills. Its cost is £150.
- Higher Level – Higher level certification is meant for managers and specialists, having deep knowledge of their subject of concern. Its cost is £540.
Complete ISTQB Certification Premium Study Package:
Confidently Appear and Pass the Foundation Exam Easily with this Comprehensive Premium Study Material.
=> Click here to download Premium ISTQB Study Guide
CMST, short for Certified Manager of Software Testing, is meant to establish the competencies of testing professional in the software industry at the international level. Having CMST certifies means acquiring the qualification in terms of principles of testing field and capabilities to handle software testing scenarios. The prerequisite for taking this exam includes:
- Having a bachelor’s degree and at least 4 years of relevant experience in software testing field, or
- Having an associate degree and at least 6 years of relevant experience in software testing field, or
- Minimum of eight years of relevant experience in software testing field.
The potential candidates are required to demonstrate their capabilities in following subjects:
- Test Planning
- Test Reporting
- Managing Test Execution
- Organizational Development (both, teams and management)
- Communication (both, leadership and behavioural skills)
- Define, deploy and improve work processes
To apply for this certification test, go to CMST, which is the customer portal for candidates and complete all the formalities by following the easy steps to set up the test. The free for this exam is $450.
CASQ stands for Certified Associate in Software Quality, which is focused on quality assurance skills and principles at the fundamental level of understanding. CASQ provides the rapid career progression at a potentially affordable cost. His exam is intended for beginners in quality for all those which have one of the following requirements completed:
- Having 3 year/4 year degree from a certified institution, or
- Having 2-year degree and one year of relevant experience in IS (Information Services) field, or
- Having three years of relevant experience in IS (Information Services) field.
Questions related to following skill set are expected in the exam:
- COTS, Outsourcing, Contracting Quality etc.
- Quality Principles and Concepts
- Quality Leadership
- Quality Assurance
- Quality Control Practices
- Quality Baselines
- Quality Planning
- Metrics and Measurement
- Define, Build, Implement, Improving Work Processes etc.
- Internal Control and Security
Similar to CMST, the application process is carried out at Customer portal on CASQ. However, this certification is affordable and any aspiring candidate can get certified at $100.
Certified Software Quality Analyst (CSQA) certification is an intermediate level exam which is considered as the standard in best practices and principles of software quality assurance in IT industry. CSQA certified candidates are recognized in several business and professional organizations which boost their career growth manifolds. This exam is specifically beneficial for the role of the quality advisor to management. However, it has following prerequisites, one of which needs to be met to be eligible for this exam:
- Having 4-year degree and two years of relevant experience in IS (Information Services) field, or
- Having 3-year degree and three years of relevant experience in IS (Information Services) field, or
- Having 2-year degree and four years of relevant experience in IS (Information Services) field, or
- Having six years of relevant experience in IS (Information Services) field.
Along with the above-mentioned requirements, the applicant should be currently working or having at least 18 months of experience, specifically relevant to certification designation.
Log on to the customer portal at CSQA to schedule the exam at the charge of $350 as the test fee.
Certified Manager of Software Quality (CMSQ) certification is an international level assessment for the skills in software quality assurance leaders and managers. CMSQ certified professionals are either working at top IT organizations or soon will join them at a managerial post in quality assurance unit. This is the advanced level certification in software quality field and this fact is equally justified by the requirements demanded prior taking this examination, which are one of the following:
- Having a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution along with four years of relevant experience in software quality assurance field, or
- Having an associate degree along with six years of relevant experience in software quality assurance field, or
- Having eight years of relevant experience in software quality assurance field.
Same as the other quality certifications, this one also follows the same process of application which is by logging into CMSQ, which is the customer portal and acts as the single point of applying. The cost of this exam is $450.
Please feel free to share your experience while taking any of these software testing and quality assurance certifications.