Here you will explore different methods on How to Check What Kind of Motherboard You Have including its functions, components, etc:
Every machine is composed of two parts: hardware, and software. The machines comprising an interactive interface have their software termed firmware. Even your system comprises various devices connected on one silicon plate, which ensures the proper connection and working of the system.
This silicon plate with various ports is known as a motherboard with a core embedded on its surface in computers and laptops. The motherboard contains various vital components, making it easier for a system to connect multiple components with the system’s core.
So, in this article, we will discuss what kind of motherboard you have?
What You Will Learn:
- Understanding Motherboard
- Check What Kind of Motherboard You Have
- FAQs on What Kind of Motherboard do i Have
The motherboard is a vital part of your system, and if there is some issue with your motherboard, you need to get it replaced or fixed, or your system is bound to crash. Let us discuss some core components and functions of the motherboard.
The motherboard is a junction of the entire system that ensures the connection between all the system components. If the motherboard goes missing, no components will interact, and the system won’t work at all.
#1) USB Ports
These USB Ports are placed on the surface of the motherboard where major components like the Keyboard, Mouse, Monitor, HDMI, speaker, and microphone are connected to the system.
#2) RAM Ports
The RAM (Random Access Memory) ports are parallel ports placed on the motherboard, which are slots for placing RAM, and when they are correctly placed, they are displayed and utilized by the system.
Suggested Reading =>> Top RAM for Gaming
The core chip of the system contains some amount of gold on its surface because gold is the best conductor, and it provides the least resistance while sharing information or electricity. The core is a significant component of the motherboard that passes all the instructions and allows the components to communicate.
#4) Hard Disk Connections
Hard disk is connected to the system using a series of jump wires, with one end connected to the hard drive and the other to the motherboard. If you cannot detect the hard drive in your system, try plugging it out and then plugging in the jump wires on the motherboard so it can work.
#5) CMOS Battery
The CMOS battery is a lithium battery placed on the motherboard, which allows the motherboard to store the necessary BIOS (Basic Input Output System) instruction code. This ultimately makes it easier for the system to manage its input and output operations.
#6) AGP Slot
The AGP slot is known as the Accelerated Graphics Slot and is responsible for all the graphic processes in the system. The AGP Slot is a place where video cards and other components are placed, allowing the system to display graphics and enhance the gaming experience of the users.
So, to conclude, all the vital processes of the system are connected to the motherboard, and therefore, it is the most critical part of your system.
Check What Kind of Motherboard You Have
Method 1: Using Windows System Info
Windows provides its users with features that allow them to perform various tasks without any issues and efficiently perform processes on the system, which makes their work easier and more efficient. And to make the users complete multiple tasks at a time, Windows has created a series of embedded features which allow them to check the specifications of system hardware.
Windows System Info is one such feature of Windows that allows users to quickly check for system hardware details, including versions, Model Numbers, and many more. Using System Info, users can check the details of other devices connected to the design.
To do so, follow the steps listed below to inspect hardware specifications using Windows System Info and learn how to tell which motherboard you have:
- Press Windows + R from your keyboard and type “msinfo32” from the keyboard and press Enter as displayed in the image below.
- A dialog box will appear as displayed in the image below, and that dialog box will contain all the details related to your system hardware. For the motherboard details, you need to check the BaseBoard details and extract the required information.
You can easily click on other options on the left pane to check details of different components of the system or devices connected to the system and check what is my motherboard?
Recommended Reading => Explore the List of BEST Motherboards in the Market
Method 2: Using Command Prompt
Command-Line is an essential feature of Windows because it has made it easier to execute programs and codes directly. The command line has allowed users to quickly check system details without going through a series of steps or procedures.
Command Prompt has a massive instruction manual that contains each command with a sub-command, making execution easier.
To find the motherboard embedded in your system, you need to use the “wmic” command with the component whose details are required.
To do so, follow the steps listed below to obtain information about your motherboard using the command prompt for how to check your motherboard:
- Press Windows + R from your keyboard, and the Run dialog box will open as displayed in the image below.
- This will display the command prompt screen. Enter the command listed below and press Enter.
“wmic baseboard get product,manufacturer,version,serialnumber”
When this executes the command, a list of options will be listed on the motherboard, including the Manufacturer, Product, Serial Number, and version of the motherboard used on the device.
Method 3: Physically
Checking your motherboard details physically is a cumbersome task and should be performed only when users have the technical knowledge and know-how to fix it again. So, there are some steps to be followed before you can take out your motherboard in light and read the specifications to find out what my motherboard is?
- First, you need to remove the cables connected to the hard disk and SSD drives.
- Then you need to remove the input/output device cables and after that, remove the power source, too.
- Based on the layout of various devices, some motherboards are placed on the CPU using short locks, open such locks, and remove the remaining connections.
- Then you can gently pull the motherboard in light and notice the motherboard’s name placed near the core as displayed in the image below.
Method 4: Third-Party Applications
Various third-party applications turn out pretty helpful when you are trying to find details related to hardware on your system for how to see what motherboard you have.
Belarc is a very useful tool with a bunch of features that make it easier for users to work with advanced system architecture. This tool makes it easier to maintain data privacy.
Further Reading => List of the BEST Crypto Mining Motherboards
- This tool provides an advanced system architecture that makes it easier to manage and automate system monitoring and create system health reports.
- This tool has multiple use cases, making it easier to provide services to a broader section of users.
- This tool has enhanced security protocols that ensure complete data privacy and security.
- This tool ensures that no data is shared with the server and remains in your local storage only.
Pricing: Contact sales for commercial use
CPU-Z provides you with in-depth information about your hardware. It also offers other details like codename, package info, and cache details, which make it easier for users to monitor the system. This tool helps you to manage your system in the most efficient manner.
- This tool is freeware, so it’s entirely free to use for non-commercial purposes.
- Provides minute details like codenames, packages, processes, cache details, processor names, and other crucial details.
- Provides updates on the motherboard, chipset, and system details.
- Monitor your system’s memory management, including memory size, timings, and module specifications, which makes it easier to manage space in your memory.
- Supervise details like clocking of CPU, frequency, core frequency, memory frequency, and the system’s latency.
HWiNFO is the perfect choice for users who think about how I know what motherboard I have. This tool provides users with analysis reports and makes it easier for them to get info about hardware. This tool also notifies users regarding the pending system and application updates.
- Extensive reporting with in-depth details and manufacturer numbers of the components, making it easier to create reports.
- Real-time monitoring feature to monitor the clocking and temperature of the devices.
- This tool provides graphical analysis of the reports and based on such information, it becomes easier for the users to make conclusions.
- Notify users about pending system updates and make them available at the earliest possible deadlines.
- Most efficient and advanced Help and Support for users to work efficiently.
- This tool also provides Shared Memory Support in its premium plan, making working more accessible and efficient.
- $25 – Personal License
- $200 – Engineer License
- $37.50- Corporate license
How to use:
- Download HWiNFO from the official website as displayed in the image below.
- Run .exe file and an installation window will appear as displayed in the image below.
- Complete the installation process and then click on Finish to launch the application as displayed in the image below.
- Loading of applications in the system will begin. Click on “Start”.
- HWiNFO window will appear, click on Motherboard and then select the section whose details you wish to view.
Speccy allows users to work with real-time tracking features, which makes it easier for users to keep track of real-time system feeds. With these features at work, users can also generate snapshots and create a well-managed record of their work.
- This tool has an inbuilt real-time tracking feature that keeps you updated on every minute details about how the CPU working.
- This tool also creates snapshots of details on the screen and makes the same directory, and the required data can be extracted when needed.
- When needed, users can also seek a detailed inspection of their application. And in the end, they are provided with a report of all the processes and conditions of their system.
- Provide system updates and ask for your permission to install them in your system.
- Most efficient premium support, making it easier for users to work efficiently.
- Pro: $19.95
FAQs on What Kind of Motherboard do i Have
Q #1) Which type of motherboard should I buy?
Answer: Various factors constitute your choice of motherboard. Still, you must seek a motherboard at the primary level that can accommodate at least four slots for RAM and is compatible with even the latest video card version available on the market.
Q #2) What are various types of motherboards?
Answer: A motherboard is categorized based on its dimensions and other characteristics. There are basically six categories of motherboards in the market, which are as follows:
- Pico BTX Motherboard
- BTX Motherboard
- Mini ITX Motherboard
- ATX Motherboard
- LPX Motherboard
- AT Motherboard
Q #3) What is the most common motherboard?
Answer: ATX is the most common type of motherboard.
Q #4) How do I match my motherboard and CPU?
Answer: This task requires a deep technical knowledge of the components, so users prefer to go through the manual to achieve it. First, they should check for compatibility with the technical support and then find the best CPU and motherboard combination for assembling the system.
Q #5) How do I choose a processor for my motherboard?
Answer: The processor consists of cores and if the number of cores in your processor is high, it will work even faster. You can check the number of cores and then the compatibility of your system for the most efficient results.
A system is a combination of hardware and software, and we often spend time thinking about software and seeking updates, whereas we neglect the importance of hardware components. We must track updates of the system’s hardware components, which include BIOS updates, processor upgrades, and a lot more.
Further Reading => Most Popular Hardware Monitoring Tools To Look For
So, in this article, we have discussed motherboards and have talked about how it is a vital part of your system. We also learned how to check your motherboard.