Brief Overview of Website Monitoring Tools and Services:
When I open a website, I want it to run fast that too without any breaks. If what I expect is not available or if it has uptime with poor quality then I instantly switch to another website.
And end up finishing my task like looking for information, placing orders, etc. with the one that works better. Thereafter, I shall give priority to the one I used with the better experience. Just like me, many others follow the same logic and such customers do not go back to the websites with poor speed or downtime.
Thus, customer’s experience is directly proportional to the business of the websites. Customers with bad experiences bring loss to the business.
Hence nowadays, the owners of company websites have started giving more importance to the stability and constant availability/uptime of the websites. For this purpose, each organization uses different uptime testing tools to monitor their full-time accessibility and website unavailability to the customers.
The current market has many such uptime testing tools. Most of which are free of cost. By using such tools one can get notified as and when the URL goes down or when the website is unavailable.
Using such uptime testing tools is always reasonable than making a manual team to continuously monitor the screen for the downtime issues. In this article, we will take a look at the most popular Uptime Testing Tools that are available in the market along with their key features.
What You Will Learn:
Best Website and Application Monitoring Tools
Given below are some popular open source uptime testing tools:
=>> Contact us to suggest listing here
Site 24/7 is the simplest tool to keep a check on the website’s uptime.
It is free of cost for 5 websites and 10 alerts per month. After which it costs $9 per month for 10 websites in 8 different test locations and 50 alerts.
- It covers many locations in the world, to monitor a website’s page load and pace, in major areas of the globe.
- It does Transaction monitoring, Network monitoring and Server monitoring.
- It also monitors Critical Cloud-based applications and identifies different errors.
- It supports many protocols like HTTPS, HTTP, TCP, PING, DNS etc.
- It is linked to services such as Zapier and Pager Duty for notifications.
- Its plan also includes verification of checks and alerts.
- It takes care of outages and root cause analysis of the server issues.
Official website: Site24x7
Pingdom offers free monitoring of website. Its free monitoring is limited to one website only and requires credit card information too. This tool is very popular in paid monitoring services and is used by many big organizations.
Its presentation of reports as the public status page is very reliable and beautiful too. Minimally, it costs $14.95 for uptime checking of websites or servers.
- It provides more than 60 locations for monitoring a website.
- It takes care of alerts via email or SMS and of website testing too.
- It includes monitoring of page speed.
- It also offers additional features which might not be available in other uptime tools.
Official website: Pingdom
SiteUPtime is an open source tool with the limitation of one website uptime testing for 30-60 minutes. A user can validate for eight different locations across five continents.
For paid plans, it provides some other additional services as well.
- It validates the uptime testing status with instant reports.
- It monitors – HTTPS, SSL, Web Page content, DNS, POP3, SMPT, TCP Ports, FTP, and pings.
- A user can configure email or alert triggers for getting 1-5 errors.
- A user can get emails or alerts when the website is up again.
- The detailed reports of all failures and logs on a monthly basis are available to the user to browse through an account control panel.
Official website: SiteUPtime
Monitis is one of the popular and multiple service provider tools. It is used by many big organizations like Siemens, Puma etc. Monitor.us uptime testing tool is another most popular and trusted tool which used by business giants like eBay, ADOBE etc.
It is now merged with Monitis. It gives 15-day trial option with unlimited monitoring. The cost of paid plans depends upon the number of monitors and monitoring locations.
- It is used to monitor websites, network, applications, server, cloud etc with a root cause analysis.
- It allows more than 30 locations across the globe to monitor uptime.
- Detailed reporting is available in the form of email alerts and SMS.
- Multiple protocols can be used like HTTP, PING, HTTPS, DNS, POP3, IMAP, TCP, etc.
- It provides interval checks of 1 minute.
- It also provides an archive of the last 2 years performance.
Official website: Monitis
Montastic is a quiet old, but very user-friendly and an open source uptime testing tool. This tool validates the availability or the uptime of the website and acknowledges the same by sending warnings of the website crashes via RSS or e-mail.
A user can monitor 3 websites with the free option with 30 min check intervals.
- A user can monitor 15-200 websites with 5 min check intervals from a paid account.
- Most of its check locations are from the US for open source. For paid users, they provide additional locations worldwide.
- It supports HTTPS, HTTP, and an end user interface.
- It acknowledges uptime as well as downtime in the reports.
- They have their own windows or Mac widgets to send messages or warnings, apart from sending them via emails or RSS.
- Paid plans are also available from $5 to $29 with some additional features.
- It has a REST developer API.
Official website: Montastic
UptimeRobot is another popular uptime testing open source tool. It allows a user with a free account to monitor 50 sites with 5 min intervals and a two months log. It keeps checking the code in the header of the website and warns with the message on finding any problem.
- Like other uptime testing tools, it also provides paid services at $5.50 per month with some additional features.
- A user can validate uptime, downtime and response time too.
- It checks HTTP, HTTPS, port, ping, and keywords.
- It provides a user with 12 different locations for monitoring.
- It allows a user to ignore minor level downtimes by specific settings.
- The methods for sending alerts are E-mail, RSS, Twitter, Slack, Push, Hipch, SMS etc.
Official website: UptimeRobot
HostTracker is a very strong uptime testing tool. It works great for alerting and tracking during downtime. Many popular companies like Colgate, Microsoft, Panasonic, etc are using this tool.
With its free plan, a user can monitor 2 websites in an interval of 30 minutes. Paid plans come with enhanced features and unlimited alerts.
- Two different websites can be monitored in two different domains.
- The reports are available on a yearly, quarterly, monthly and weekly basis.
- Issues are informed via e-mail or SMS.
- The protocols which are supported are HTTP, HTTPS, ping, AMTP, port, Oracle, POP3, MS SQL etc.
- Its paid plan starts with $3.35 per month for 5 websites.
- A user can track the useful data and get distributed monitoring.
Official website: HostTracker
#8) Are My Sites Up?
Are My Sites Up? is also an open source web tool for uptime testing of websites. The user with the free account of 15 day trial period can test 5 different websites, 25 TIMES A DAY, for uptime and receive email/SMS alerts on poor performance.
- The free account can be shared with two or more users to monitor the website uptime.
- The minimum paid plan starts from $2.92 per month with some additional features.
- The tool provides access to iPhone and Android application to view, delete, add or edit all the websites in the account.
- The check time is 1 min for a free account and 5-15 min for paid accounts.
Official website: Are My Sites Up?
FreeSiteStatus is a web-based uptime testing application. This tool is very reliable and fast.
The free account is available with 60 min monitoring for a 14-day trial but with limited features.
- The application has a feature of ‘Quick Test’ for instant monitoring of website performance.
- The paid account costs $2.0 per month for monitoring and $.25 per SMS.
- It supports protocols like HTTP, HTTPS. POP3, FTP, My SQL, etc.
- It sends Alerts via email, SMS, and Push.
- Multiple locations worldwide are available for monitoring websites.
- Reports and performances are represented in a graphical format for better understanding.
Official website: FreeSiteStatus
Uptrends is one of the most popular website/web applications uptime testing tools. The tool provides uptime information, to the website users, all time.
The free trial of 30 days is available for this tool with limited features. In which it allows 10 websites monitoring with 1-60 min checks at worldwide locations.
- Its free trial is available with no credit card details.
- More than 150 worldwide checkpoints are available for monitoring with this tool.
- Its paid plan starts from $11 per month.
- Multi-Browser monitoring is available in its Advanced Business plan. Which includes waterfall report, third-party content and mobile web monitoring.
- The reports or alerts are sent by email or SMS.
Official website: Uptrends
#11) Uptime Doctor
By using the Uptime Doctor tool, for uptime testing, a user can test 5 websites with a 1 min interval, at a free of cost.
The alerts will be sent via email or push messages on android as per the user choice.
Official website: Uptime Doctor
Monitority is a very simple and basic uptime testing tool, which is totally free.
It supports HTTP, HTTPS, URLs, etc. with unlimited numbers of checks, at a one-minute interval, from many locations worldwide.
Official website: Monitority
AppBeat uptime testing tool has paid as well as a free plan in it.
Under the free plan, a user can monitor 50 sites at 5 min intervals and get the reports in 100 emails.
Official website: AppBeat
InternetSeer is considered to be the uptime testing tool with the largest monitoring websites in the world.
It has a standard plan as a free trial for one website at 60 min checks.
Official website: InternetSeer
#15) Basic State
Basic State is a solid website monitoring tool for uptime testing with the availability of a free plan.
The paid plan starts with $12.50 per 50 services with some additional features and email reports.
Official website: Basic State
#16) Status Cake
Status Cake also provides a free plan apart from the paid one.
Its paid plans start from $24.49. This paid plan has slower intervals, limited test locations and missing advanced monitoring features in it.
Official website: Status Cake
Observu is a very simple uptime testing tool with free as well as paid plans.
A user can monitor 5 to 50 plus websites and APIs by automatically using multiple locations worldwide.
Official website: Observu
Livewatch uptime testing tool is a free and a simple web to monitor the website instantly.
Rest other plans are paid ones and it provides proper PDF reports of any failures or downtimes that occur.
Official website: Livewatch
The UPTIMIA uptime testing tool also provides a free account.
It monitors the availability of HTTPS, HTTP, DNS, TCP, UDP, Email services and others along with the website performance with a real chrome browser.
Official website: UPTIMIA
Insping is one of the simplest uptime testing and performance monitoring tool.
Its free plan includes two URLS, in 5 min intervals, with two users and floating locations.
Official website: Insping
#21) DOM Alert
DOM Alert is an uptime testing tool, with a free plan as well as paid plans, to monitor the websites and response time.
Official website: DOM Alert
#22) Binary Canary
Binary Canary uptime testing tool with a free account monitors 5 websites with 15 min frequency, from multiple locations.
While the paid plan starts with $5 per month and can monitor 5 to 100 websites with 1-minute frequency, from global locations.
Official website: Binary Canary
ServerMojo is a user-friendly uptime testing tool with free as well as paid plans. With the free plan, a user can monitor one website for one hour.
Official website: ServerMojo
By using the 100Pulse uptime testing tool with a free account, a user can monitor 2 websites in 15 min intervals.
Official website: 100Pulse
ideara.com uptime testing tool is good for SQL server performance monitoring 24/7 from anywhere.
Official website: ideara.com
#26) Happy Apps
Happy Apps is a good performance and uptime testing tool.
It provides a large number of checks in few seconds with easy setup of alerts via email and SMS.
Official website: Happy Apps
By using the above-mentioned Website and Application Monitoring Services, anyone can save their business beforehand. Once the user gets the alerts of the downtime or other issues, they can instantly resolve the issue before it’s too late.
Apart from the above popular tools, there are some more uptime testing tools around. You just need to explore the one which suits best and reasonable for your website.
=>> Contact us to suggest listing here