List of the Most Widely Used Point of sale POS System in 2021:
What is POS System?
Point of sale (POS) is the time and place where a retail transaction gets completed.
It is the system that helps the retailers for growing their business by managing inventory, processing payment, managing refunds, and returns, creating reports for analyzing profits, etc.
In simple words, retailers sell their goods, process the payment, and print the receipt. Point of sale help retailers in all this process.
Based on this transaction it will give you updated information about inventory, which item/product is in more demand along with much more detailed reports and analytics.
Now, most of the POS systems are cloud-based. Hence, these reports and data can be accessed from anywhere. This, in turn, lessens the case that an item is running out of stock and similar other problems. Also, it makes them less expensive. These cloud-based systems make brick and mortar retailers go online.
Some tools provide more advanced features like cash movement tracking, suspending sale, tracking the shipment etc. While some other tools provide more options for payment processing.
Some POS systems are for retailers and some POS are for restaurants only. These systems help in managing discounts, returns, and refunds, etc. Both these procedures are much easier with the help of POS.
In a retail business, POS software systems help in streamlining their daily operations. They become a means of programming the process of a transaction and keep a track of the important sales data.
Example of a basic POS system is a simple electronic cash register and software to coordinate, correlate and analyze the data collected from daily transactions.
This system could further be improvised and made more intelligent to collect data from various receiving devices like barcode scanners and card readers. Such integrated technology could help the Retailers catch discrepancies and thereby reduce the profit margins or sales interruptions.
In this article, we will discuss the top 10 POS systems in detail. We will explore their advantages and limitations and see how they stack up against each other.
What You Will Learn:
Top Point of Sale POS Systems
Enlisted below are the most commonly used POS System Software that is available in the market.
Comparison Table of TOP POS Software
|POS System||Price||Free Trial Period||Supported Payment Options||Best Feature|
|Lightspeed||$99/month||14 days||Accept all payment methods.||On the spot transaction.|
|KORONA POS||Starts at $49/month||Unlimited||Accepts all payment methods.||Inventory management.|
|Vend||$99/month||30 days||Cash, Cards, Cheque, Gift cards etc.||Keeps a track of the cash movements.|
|Square POS ||Free||--||Cards, Cash, checks, gift cards||Easy to Use.|
|Shopify POS||USD $29/month||14 days||Accept any form of payment||Accepts credit cards anywhere.|
|Shopkeep||$69/month||Not mentioned||Cash, Credit cards, Apple Pay, EMV chip cards||Smart solution for staff management.|
|Bindo POS ||Free||14 days||Credit cards||Processes major credit cards.|
|ERPLY||$99/month||14 days||Accept card payments||Suspend Sale & Shipping Integration.|
|Quickbooks POS||$960 as a one time purchase||30 days||Debit/credit cards||Easy to save customer data.|
|TouchBistro||$69/month||7 days without registration.||Credit cards, Debit cards,||Mobile Payment and Processing.|
|28 days with registration.||Cash|
|Toast||$79/terminal||Not mentioned||Credit cards||Reliability.|
#1) Lightspeed Retail
LightSpeed Retail provides a solution for retails, e-commerce, and restaurants. It is a Canada-based company and provides POS and e-commerce software. The company provides 24/7 support for Lightspeed Retail.
- Using Lightspeed Retail, you can create a single purchase order for multiple vendors.
- For a single item, you can add different variants like color and size.
- It will help you in keeping a track of inventory.
- It provides you the facility of ‘On the spot transactions’.
- Even if you have multiple stores, Lightspeed Retail will keep a track of the inventory location-wise.
- It gives you the flexibility for accepting payments.
- It helps you in tracking the employee hours.
- You can access it from anywhere as it is a cloud-based system.
- During transactions, employees have to enter their pin several times.
- It doesn’t show the brand name in the product list as to whether it is a product description list or purchase/return order. Hence, it becomes time-consuming.
- Compatibility with a barcode scanner is limited.
Tool Cost/Plan Details: $99/month.
#2) KORONA POS
KORONA POS offers a versatile cloud-based software for retail, ticketing, and fast-casual operations. The solution is built to be the hub of business operations while allowing users a customized experience. KORONA’s point of sale comes with a flat-rate subscription, no hidden fees or contracts, and is credit card processing agnostic.
- Inventory management
- In-depth reporting
- ABC analytics
- Order level optimization
- Vendor relations
- Automated reorders
- Franchise management
- Employee permissions
- CRM and loyalty
- Modern payment integrations
- Versatile hardware
- Online ticketing
- Multi-store management and reporting.
Tool Cost/Pricing: Free trial, 60-day money-back guarantee, No long-term contracts. All subscriptions start at $49/month.
It will help you in selling, managing, reporting and growing your business. It is the best solution for multi-outlet retail.
Vend POS provides a solution for all the business types like Fashion Boutiques, Homeware Stores, Sports, Outdoors etc. This provides you three options i.e. Lite, Pro, and Enterprise. Lite is for small retailers and it gives you basic operations. Pro is for established single or multi-store retailers and Enterprise is for large multi-store retailers.
Vend provides software services and its Headquarters is in Auckland, New Zealand.
- You can use Vend on any platform like iPad, Mac or PC.
- It will help you in reducing errors or theft by keeping a track of cash movements.
- It even works offline and will sync data when you are online.
- You can add discounts, customize your receipts and manage returns/refunds using Vend.
- You can use Vend POS for unlimited locations.
- You can work offline.
- Managing discounts, returns and refunds is easier with Vend.
- You have to use only Google chrome for running Vend.
- Processing can be slow, and this is the biggest con of Vend.
Tool Cost/Plan Details:
There are three plans Lite, Pro, and Enterprise.
- Lite: $99/month USD when billed annually or $119 if billed monthly
- Pro: $129/month USD when billed annually or $159 if billed monthly
- Enterprise: You need to contact them.
Official Website: Vend
#4) Square POS
It can be used on Apple and Android devices and on mobiles & tablets. It is for any type of business, even for bakeries. The company provides 24/7 support for Square POS.
- Its main feature is its simplicity. It is designed in such a way so that it will be easier for the staffs to understand the system.
- It gives the customers an option for digital (Email or text message) or printed receipts.
- It helps in managing the inventory in real time.
- Square Dashboard can be accessed from any computer. It gives you every information about your business right from the new customer to sales.
- It is free.
- It can be connected to a Bluetooth receipt printer.
- Adding and deleting items is easy and this makes inventory management easier too.
- You can also add pictures for each item, thereby making the item easily recognizable.
- The processing fee is high.
- It is compatible to Star Printer only.
Tool Cost/Plan Details:
- Square POS: It is Free.
- Square for Retail: Starts at $60/month per location.
Official Website: Square
It helps you in managing all the background processes of your store. It can be installed on multiple devices, thus it will help you if you have multiple cash registers.
It gives you three options to choose a plan, i.e. Basic Shopify, Shopify, and Advance Shopify.
Basic Shopify provides all the basics that will be required to start a new business. Shopify will provide you options that are required for growing business. Advance Shopify will give you more advanced options. For Shopify, POS company provides 24/7 support.
- Shopify POS provides you the flexibility to accept credit cards anywhere.
- It gives the customer an option for digital receipts (Email or text message).
- It helps you in tracking & managing inventory, accepting payment in any form, processing refunds and applying discounts/customizing taxes.
- It gives you great flexibility by accepting credit cards anywhere.
- It accepts payment in any form, i.e. credit, cash etc.
- Selling products and accepting payments on any device is easier because of its seamless integration.
- Shopify POS will charge you for the access of more detailed reports and also for modifying the reports.
Tool Cost/Plan Details:
- Basic Shopify: USD $29/month.
- Shopify: USD $79/month.
- Advance Shopify: USD $299/month.
Official Website: Shopify
It is an IPAD POS system. It provides you the solution for retail, quick serve, Restaurant & Bar and for Franchises. ShopKeep is headquartered in New York. It provides 24/7 support.
- You will get real-time reports and analytics.
- It provides you in-depth information about inventory and thereby results in in-depth inventory management.
- You can have unlimited users with ShopKeep.
- You can have unlimited inventory items.
- It provides you a smart solution for staff management.
- It is easy to use.
- Real-time reports will keep you updated.
- Customer service is not good.
- ShopKeep frequently faces connectivity issues with credit card machines.
Tool Cost/Plan Details: $69/month
Official Website: Shopkeep
#7) Bindo POS
This system promises you to be more than just a point of sale. It has more than 300 features.
Bindo POS is for retail, restaurants and many other business types like candy stores, clothing stores, Salon etc. Brad Lauster, Jason Ngan, and JoMing Au are the founders of Bindo. Bindo is headquartered in New York.
- Bindo POS provides many features like easy-to-use Inventory management, barcode scanning, reports, credit cards processing etc.
- It provides you with an option of ‘Online Dashboard’.
- This option will help you to see real-time reports so that you can manage your stores from any device.
- Flexibility for managing your store from any device.
- Bindo works with many credit card processors.
- Its ease of use is helpful to train employees.
- Cannot be used on desktops.
Tool Cost/Plan Details:
- Lite: Free. Here you can save data for 50 customers, 2 employees and 15 products. This is all with 1 register. Email support is provided from 8 AM to 8 PM.
- Basic: $79/month which will be billed annually. Or $89/month, if you pay on a monthly basis. With this option, you can have unlimited customers and registered employees. You can save data for 1000 products.
- Pro: $149/month which will be billed annually. Or $159/month, if you want to pay on a monthly basis. This option provides the facility of unlimited customers and registered employees and 10,000 products.
Official Website: bindo POS
ERPLY is a software company whose focus is on point of sale and inventory management. It has more than 20,000 users and You can access ERPLY from anywhere as it is web-based.
- You can use ERPLY on any device which has a web browser.
- It has a unique feature of Suspend Sale.
- It prints the receipts with a scannable barcode, which in turn helps in speeding up the process.
- To add an item to the transaction, you can search it by name/code, or you can scan the barcode or you can even select an item from inventory.
- Shipping Integration is one of its features. Using this, the featured item can be shipped to the customer via UPS and FedEx. Using ERPLY you will be able to track that shipment too.
- Along with these, ERPLY provides many more features as well.
- It can be integrated with most of the credit card processors.
- It has customizable loyalty programs.
- Its shipping integration is a very useful feature.
- It can suspend sale – which means while checking out if the customer has forgotten something and gone to pick it up, you can suspend the sale in the background and reopen it.
- It has excellent customer management features.
- Cost is higher than the others.
Tool Cost/Plan Details: Starting at $99/month.
Official Website: ERPLY
#9) QuickBooks POS
QuickBooks is an Intuit’s accounting software. QuickBooks desktop point of sale can be easily synced with QuickBooks. QuickBooks develop products for small or medium-sized businesses.
- It allows the customer with an option to pay through debit or credit cards.
- It keeps a track of your inventory. You will even get to know the profit on each item.
- QuickBooks POS is for the desktop. However, it also works with tablet-Microsoft Surface® Pro 4.
- You can easily put the customer’s information into the system.
- You can work on the desktop as well as tablets.
- You cannot buy it for a month or year. It has only one-time purchase plans. Hence, it is a big investment.
Tool Cost/Plan Details:
- Basic: $960. This is a one-time purchase. This includes POS Software and a POS Payment account.
- Pro: This is also a one-time purchase, that starts at $ 1360. It includes POS Software and a POS Payment account.
- Multi-Store: This is also a one-time purchase, that starts at $ 1520. It includes POS Software and a POS Payment account.
Official Website: Quickbooks POS
TouchBistro is an iPad POS for restaurants. It is specifically designed for restaurants.
It is a software company which is headquartered in Toronto and has 225 employees. The company provides 24/7 support.
- Tableside Order Management
- Floor Plan and Table Management
- Mobile Payment and Processing
- Menu Management
- Staff Management & Scheduling
- Customer Relationship Management(CRM)
- Restaurant Inventory Management
- Reporting and Analytics
- You can customize your menu.
- It provides seamless integration with TouchBistro POS.
- It also helps you for table organization.
- You cannot import menus.
- Not easy to navigate.
Tool Cost/Plan Details:
- Solo: $69/month, when billed annually. Here, You will get 1 License.
- Dual: $129/month, when billed annually. Here, You will get 2 Licenses.
- Team: $249/month, when billed annually. Here, You will get up to 5 Licenses.
- Unlimited: $399/month, when billed annually. Here, You will get unlimited Licenses.
Official Website: TouchBistro
Toast is designed for restaurants.
Toast POS system promises ease of use to the customer. Toast is a Boston based software company. It develops solutions for restaurant management and point of sale. Toast POS is a cloud-based architecture. This company also provides 24/7 support.
- The major features of Toast POS include power, reliability, and ease of use. You can say it as an all in one solution for Restaurant management. Few other features are mentioned below.
- Employee Management.
- Real-time reporting
- Online ordering system
- Tableside ordering
- Quick Edit Mode
- Menu creation and many more
- It is a cloud-based architecture.
- It provides automated system updates.
- It provides an option of restaurant based reporting.
- It costs an additional price for phone support.
Tool Cost/Plan Details:
- Software: Starting at $79/terminal
Official website: Toast
Additional POS Software
Apart from the above-mentioned POS tools, there are some more POS systems that are available in the market like Quetzal, Revel Systems, NCR Silver, and iConnect.
It is an iPad POS system and is cloud-based. This system also works offline. It is mainly for boutiques, accessories, gift shops etc.
Tool cost starts at $75/location/month which includes standard support. It includes many features like inventory management, employee management, report, and analytics etc as well.
Official Website: Quetzal
#13) Revel Systems
Revel Systems is known for its iPad POS systems.
Its headquarters is in San Francisco. It offers many features like online ordering, customer relationship management, customer display system etc.
Official Website: Revel Systems
#14) NCR Silver
NCR Silver is an iPad POS system and is cloud-based.
It allows for taking mobile payments. It provides 24/7 customer support. It gives training for its new features and helps you in managing the Customer Loyalty Program.
Official Website: NCR Silver
iConnect is now Franpos. It also works offline.
Some of the features of iConnect include inventory management, PIN-based login, customer management, access permissions, employee scheduling etc. Payment options supported by iConnect are credit cards, Apple Pay and Gift Cards.
Official Website: iConnect
In this article, we have discussed all the top Point of Sale (POS) System that is available in the Market.
Square POS is the best option as it offers perfect features within the budget. Vend is a good option if you want to avoid errors or theft with its ‘Cash movement tracking’ feature.
ERPLY also has some unique features of Suspending Sale and Shipping integration at an affordable price as others.
Hope you enjoyed this informative article on POS system!!