This tutorial explains how to Open EPUB Files to access your digital books. Learn multiple ways to open EPUB File format on various devices:
EPUB is the most common file format for digital files. Even though a handful of digital booksellers like Amazon don’t have EPUB files, you will find them at most of the others sellers. EPUBs are also useful if you want to turn them into audiobooks with the help of text-to-speech apps.
In this article, we will tell you how to open EPUB files on your device so you can enjoy your digital books without any hassle.
What You Will Learn:
- What is an EPUB File
- Opening EPUB Files on Various Devices
- #1) Epubor
- #2) Calibre For Windows And Mac OS X
- #3) Kobo App For Windows And Mac OS X
- #4) Adobe Digital Editions For Windows And Mac OS X
- #5) Microsoft Edge For Windows 8 and 10
- #6) iBooks for iOS
- #7) Google Play Books for Android
- #8) Universal Book Reader for Android
- #9) ePUB Reader for Windows
- #10) Converting EPUBs for Kindle
- #11) Browser Plugins Like EPUB Reader
- Frequently Asked Questions
What is an EPUB File
EPUB is short for Electronic Publication. It is a widely used file format for ebooks all over the world and is free from restrictions of Digital Right Management (DRM), unlike Amazon Kindle’s .azw files.
EPUB file is a perfect format for sharing open-source books without copyright issues and you can read it on a range of devices. Edge browser from Microsoft is used to support EPUB files for Microsoft. But it ended when they switched to the Chromium version in 2019 September.
Suggested Reading =>> Popular Epub Viewer software
Recommended OS Repair Tool – Outbyte PC Repair
In the event you are unable to open epub files on your PC, we suggest you use the Outbyte PC Repair tool to fix the problem. The software serves as a magnificent vulnerability scanner that checks the system for errors and automatically resolves them.
Outbyte might check your system for missing or damaged files, malware, or unwanted programs that might be preventing you from opening epub files and suggest corrective steps to resolve the issue.
- Full System PC Scan
- Privacy protection
- Check the system for updates
- Identify and remove malicious files and programs.
Opening EPUB Files on Various Devices
Some devices support EPUB files while for others, there is a handful of software that you can use for accessing them. Here’s how you open an EPUB file format on different platforms.
Epubor offers its users a ton of free to read eBooks on its platform. Besides this, it also offers Mac and Windows software that can be used to remove DRM, convert eBooks into other formats, and decrypt Google, Kindle, Adobe, Kobo, and Sony books.
To use the software to open ePub files:
- Download and install the file on your system
- Launch it and add an ePub file you wish to read.
- Then, simply click on it to start reading.
Price: Windows: $24.99, Mac: $29.99
#2) Calibre For Windows And Mac OS X
Calibre is the best option for opening an EPUB file on Windows and Mac OS X. It supports almost all ebook file formats and hence is said to be the most powerful tool of its kind. Its library management features are outstanding and it is easier to share books with others and on your devices using Calibre.
- Download and install Calibre on your laptop.
- Click on “Add Books”
- Select the book you want to add
- Click Ok
- Right-click on the book you want to open.
- Select Open With
- Click on Calibre.
- If you don’t find it in the list, click on More Options
- Select Calibre
- Click Ok
Your EPUB book will appear in Calibre. Just click on it and start reading.
#3) Kobo App For Windows And Mac OS X
Kobo app is yet another good option for opening EPUB files on Windows and Mac OS X. You can also use it on your Blackberry.
- Install the app.
- Launch it and click on Update Library.
- It will scan your system for EPUB files and add them to your library. Double click on the book you want to read.
- Use left and right arrows for flipping through the pages.
If you don’t want all the EPUB files in the app, select the ones you want to add, right-click on it and go to the Open With option. Now, select Kobo and click on OK.
#4) Adobe Digital Editions For Windows And Mac OS X
ADE or Adobe Digital Editions is yet another option you can use for Windows and Mac OS X to open EPUB files.
- Download ADE on your system.
- Click on Files
- Select Add to Library
- Select the EPUB file you want to open
- Click Ok
Now double click on the file to start reading it.
Website: Adobe Digital Editions
#5) Microsoft Edge For Windows 8 and 10
If you are using Windows 8 or 10, you can use Microsoft Edge, the older version to open EPUB files. It is a pre-installed browser that comes with your system. Just double-click on the EPUB you want to open or right-click on the files, select open with and click on Edge.
Suggested reading =>> How to uninstall Microsoft Edge
Website: Microsoft Edge
#6) iBooks for iOS
iBooks app on iOS is more than capable to open EPUB files, however, getting these files on an iOS device is a challenge. But if you already have an EPUB file on your iPhone, all you have to do is tap on the file, it will add itself to iBooks, a pre-installed app on your iPhone. Then you can click on the My Books options on your iPhone to find and read your EPUB books. Other ways to open the file format on your iOS are:
- Tap on the EPUB file
- Click on the share button
- Tap on Open in.
- From the Open menu pop up, select open in iBooks
This will open your EPUB file on your iOS device. Or,
- Email the file to yourself as an attachment.
- Download the file.
- Tap on it to go to the Open menu
- Select open in iBooks.
#7) Google Play Books for Android
Google Play Books is a free ebook reader for Android.
To get the app, follow the steps below:
- Open Google Play Store
- Search for Google Play Books
- Click on Install
- Click Accept
- Launch Google Play Books
- Tap the menu icon, the three horizontal bars at the top left corner.
- Go to settings
- Click Enable PDF Uploading to allow PDF upload as well along with EPUB.
- If you have the file on your Android device, click on it and it will open in Google Play Books, if not
- Mail yourself the file
- From your Android device, access your email and download the attachment.
- And then click on the EPUB file to open it.
Website: Google Play Books
#8) Universal Book Reader for Android
Universal Book Reader is another good option for opening EPUB files on your device.
If you have the files on your Android device, here’s how you can open them using Universal Book reader:
- Download and install the latest version of the app.
- Launch Universal Book Reader.
- Click on the Bookshelf.
- Select Yes when the app asks if you want to import all the ebooks.
- You will be able to see all the ebooks in the app.
Now, open the one you want to read.
Website: Universal Book Reader
#9) ePUB Reader for Windows
ePUB Reader is the best way to open EPUB files on Windows phones.
- Download and install the ePUB Reader.
- Save your EPUB files on SkyDrive
- Open the app
- Swipe right twice and you will be on the Source page.
- Tap on Sky Drive and sign in.
- Select the EPUB file you want to open
You will be able to read the file now.
Website: ePUB Reader
#10) Converting EPUBs for Kindle
To read EPUBs on Kindle, you will need to convert them to MOBI format. You can use Cloud Convert to do the job.
- Open Cloud Convert
- In the convert section, select EPUB
- In the To section, select MOBI
- Now, click on the select file option
- Go to the file you want to convert.
- Select and click ok.
- Click on convert.
- When the file is converted, click on Download.
- The file will be downloaded on your device.
- Connect your Kindle to the device.
- Click on the Kindle’s name to open it on your system.
- Drag and drop the MOBI file in your kindle, or copy and paste it.
- When you are done, eject your kindle.
Now, you can read your ebook on your Kindle.
Also read =>> Converting PDF Format to Kindle Format
Website: Converting EPUBs
#11) Browser Plugins Like EPUB Reader
You can also use your browser to open the EPUB files. There are many good extensions and plug-ins available for browsers that can open this file format for you. Now that Edge from Microsoft is based on Google’s Chromium engine, all the extensions that are available for Chrome should be available for both Edge and Opera. Firefox has its own library, so you will have to search for a suitable extension.
EPUB Reader is a popular extension for Chrome that is used for opening EPUB files. It is free and extremely simple to use. Once you add the extension to your browser, all you have to do is click on the EPUB file and it will open in your browser. If you have a file downloaded, right-click on it, go to the Open With option, and select your browser.
To add the extension, follow these steps:
- Search for the extension in your browser.
- Click on Add to Chrome
- You will be able to see the icon on the top right corner of your toolbar.
- Click on the three vertical dots on the extreme right.
- Go to more tools
- Select Extensions
- It will take you to the extensions page.
- Drag the switch to the right side to enable the extension.
- To open an EPUB file, click on the EPUB Reader icon.
- You will see a folder icon
- Click on the folder to find the EPUB file.
- Double-click on it to open it.
You will be able to read your EPUB book on your browser.
Website: Browser Plugins
Also Read =>> Comparison of Best EBook Readers
Frequently Asked Questions
Q #1) How can I open an EPUB file on my phone?
Answer: You can use Google Play Books to open an EPUB file on your phone. You can also go for a universal book reader to open the EPUB digital book on your phone.
Q #2) Can I open an EPUB file on Adobe Reader?
Answer: You can use Adobe Digital Editions to open your EPUB files on Mac and Windows. To open them on Adobe reader, you will have to convert EPUB files to PDF file format.
Recommended reading =>> Steps to convert Kindle books to PDF file
Q #3) Can I read an EPUB file on Chromebook?
Answer: You can use the OverDrive app to read an EPUB book on your Chromebook. Borrow the book you want to read, select the bookshelf in the app and click on the ebook in the app to read it. You can also use the Chrome browser.
Q #4) How can I open an EPUB file on my Nook?
Answer: If your Nook is DRM-protected, you can’t. If it’s not, hook your Nook to your computer and drag and drop the EPUB file to My Documents folder on your Nook. You should be able to read the book with just a click.
EPUB might not be very familiar to you, but it is one of the most popular file formats for ebooks.
Now you know that you can read an EPUB book on your device using the proper apps and even browsers. Be it your smartphone, your reading device, or your laptop, open and read that book you want easily.