In this article, we will learn how to open HEIC files on Windows and explore various ways to convert .HEIC file to JPG in Windows 10:
The High-Efficiency Image Coding or HEIC, as we know it, is not anything unknown to the users of Apple iOS 11 and above. There is no such enigma on how to convert HEIC to JPG on mac.
Although Windows 10 supports HEIC, it is still a little hassle to make it work sometimes on different platforms, including Windows.
Here we will walk through almost every possible topic related to HEIC, including how to open a HEIC file, convert it, and deal with the other issues related to it.
What You Will Learn:
- What Is An HEIC File
- How To Open An HEIC File In Windows
- How To Convert HEIC File To JPG
What Is An HEIC File
As we have already mentioned above, HEIC coding images are commonly used with iOS 11 and above along with macOS High Sierra. This file format has been around for much longer but it gained popularity only when Apple began using it for saving photos on its devices.
This format came into existence in the year 2017. It is Apple’s version of HEIF or High-Efficiency Image Format. These images are almost two times lighter when compared to the same quality JPEG images. It allows the iPhones to take images of excellent quality.
It’s not Apple but MPEG developed this format and now it is on the verge of replacing the old and flawed but is a widely used JPG format.
Benefits Of Using HEIC File
- You get the same quality as JPG in half the size.
- It is ideal for photo bursts or live photos as you can store multiple photos in one file.
- Like GIFs, HEIC also supports transparency.
- It allows you to save image edits like rotating & cropping and if you want, you can undo them later.
- As opposed to JPG’s 8-bit, it supports 16-bit color.
How To Open An HEIC File In Windows
#1) Adobe Lightroom
The HEIC files are proprietary and hence you will not be able to open them unless you meet certain requirements. Thus the fastest way to access these files is through an image viewer that supports this format. Adobe Lightroom is one such image viewer.
- Download and install Adobe Lightroom.
- From your start menu, go to Settings.
- Select Apps
- Navigate to the Default Apps Menu
- Click on Photo Viewer
- Select Adobe Lightroom as the default program.
Open the HEIC file now.
- Lightroom plan: $9.99/month
- Photography plan: $9.99/month
- Creative Cloud All Apps: $52.99/month
Website: Adobe Lightroom
#2) Apowersoft Photo Viewer
This is a third-party HEIC file format supporting the photo viewer.
- Go to the website of Apowersoft Photo Viewer.
- Click on Download Desktop Version.
- Install the software.
- Click on the triple dots at the top of the window.
- Select Open
- Navigate to the HEIC image that you want to open.
- Select it and click on open.
Website: Apowersoft Photo Viewer
#3) CopyTrans HEIC
CopyTrans HEIC is a Windows plug-in and with it, you can open HEIC images with innate Windows Photo Viewer by just double-clicking them in File Explorer. It also enables you to insert these image formats in MS Office applications like Powerpoint, Word, or Excel.
- Go to the CopyTrans HEIC Website.
- Download the program.
- Open the installer for adding it to Windows.
- Right-click on the HEIC photo you want to open.
- Select Convert with CopyTrans.
- Select Properties
- Go to General Tab.
- Click on Change.
- Select Windows Photo Viewer as the default program for opening HEIC photos.
- Select Apply
- Click OK
Now you can open the HEIC files within the native apps of Windows with just a double click.
Price: Personal – Free
Website: CopyTrans HEIC
#4) File Viewer Plus
File Viewer Plus is a universal file opener and thus it supports HEIC files as well.
- Click on the Try Free option on the website of File Viewer Plus.
- Install the software with its setup wizard.
- Open the File Viewer Plus.
- Click on File
- Select Open
- Select the HEIC file.
You will be able to view the file now.
- File Viewer Plus 4- $58.99.
- You can also try it for free.
Website: File Viewer Plus
Dropbox is a cloud storage service that supports HEIC file format.
- Open dropbox and click on upload.
- Upload HEIC images from your device to dropbox.
- Select the image.
- Click on its eye icon to preview it.
- Dropbox Plus: $119.88 yearly
- Dropbox Professional: $199 yearly
- Dropbox Family: $203.88 yearly
- Dropbox Business: $750 yearly
- Dropbox Advanced: $1,200 yearly
#6) Add HEIF Image Extensions
HEIF image extensions allow you to open images in the default photo apps of Windows 10.
- Go to the MS Store Page.
- Click on the Get button to install it.
- Also, install HEVC Video Extensions as HEIC file-formats utilizes the HEVC codec
Website: Add HEIC Image Extensions
How To Convert HEIC File To JPG
Converting HEIC to JPG is yet another easy way to open them. There are many tools available online for converting one file type to another. Some even allow you to edit before saving it in another format.
All you have to do is upload the HEIC image and choose JPG as the preferred conversion format. Once the conversion is complete, you can download it.
If you have several photos to convert, then offline conversions are more convenient and quicker.
- Download and install an offline converter like iMazing HEIC Converter.
- Open the tool.
- Drag and drop the images you want to convert on the tool’s interface.
- Select the desired format from the Format dropdown menu.
- Check the Keep EXIF data bix if you want to preserve the EXIF data.
- Adjust the quality of your photos with the help of the quality slider.
- Click on Convert.
- Select where you want to save the converted images.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q #1) Can I get my Apple device to produce a compatible file format when compared to HEIC?
Answer: Yes. Go to Settings, select Camera, then navigate to Formats and click on Most Compatible. Your Apple devices will now use JPG for photos.
Q #2) Can I convert HEIC into JPG?
Answer: Yes. You can use online document converters or download converter applications to convert HEIC files into the desired file format including JPG.
Q #3) Which format is better – JPG or HEIC?
Answer: HEIC is a better image-saving format because you get the same quality of the image as a PNG or JPG but in a smaller file size. However, they are not compatible with every operating system but a file converter can easily overcome that issue.
Q #4) Can I prevent my Apple devices from saving images in HEIC format?
Answer: Yes, you can. Go to settings, select camera, then formats, and click on most compatible.
Q #5) Can I convert HEIC files into PDF?
Answer: Yes, you can do it in the same way as JPG, using a file converter.
HEIC files aren’t as uncommon as they might sound. They have always been there but have become popular only after Apple started using them and the fun fact is that MPEG developed this file format and not Apple.
If you are using an Apple device, HEIC is easily readable. Windows 10 has not launched support for this file type a long time ago. So, viewing them in Windows 10 is not difficult as well.
Adobe Lightroom is the best way to open a HEIC file and edit it. You can also use any image viewer to open this file format. If you are facing any issue in opening these files, then you can simply convert them into other file formats or save your images in Apple devices in JPG format as well, instead of HEIC.