BEST Enterprise-Grade Open-Source DBMS Database Management System Software To Watch Out In 2019.
Enterprise Database has the capacity to handle thousands of users at a time. It will help enterprises to improve efficiency and productivity. Enterprise Databases have features like Parallel query, Clustering, and Multi-process support.
Enterprise DBMS has to work with large organizational & workgroup databases whereas personal DBMS are simple and small when compared to enterprise-grade DBMS.
The licensed and open-source DBMS differ on the basis of the services they offer i.e. support services. You will get premium support with the licensed products and there can be an absence or lack of such services in the free and open-source DBMS.
DBMS should be selected based on the database size, scalability, high-availability features, database features & functionalities, and the available support services.
What You Will Learn:
Best Enterprise-Grade Open Source DBMS
Enlisted below are the most popular Enterprise-Grade Open Source DBMS that are used worldwide.
- Maria DB
Comparison Of The Top Database Management System Software
One year subscription plans for support.
Data Masking & De-identification,
Database Audit etc.
|Yes||Available for free.
The price of Enterprise Edition starts at $5000.
|Creation of own data types, Building custom functions, |
Features for data integrity, etc.
High availability features, etc.
Get a quote for the MariaDB platform.
Powerful query language,
Rich JSON documents, etc.
#1) Altibase [Editor’s choice]
Price: Altibase is an open-source DBMS that includes Sharding. Altibase can be downloaded for free. It also provides subscription plans for professional support, which is lower than all mainstream DBMS providers. There will be a one-year subscription term.
Subscription fees can cater to your IT budget according to your specific DB needs and requirements, hence you can minimize or eliminate unnecessary expenditures.
Platform: Windows, Mac, SaaS.
Languages: It supports various programming languages like C, C++, Java, etc. Languages supporting ODBC and JDBC are also supported by Altibase.
Cloud Version: Yes
Altibase is a feature-rich Enterprise-Grade open source database. It has all the tools and relational capabilities required by Enterprises. Altibase has 20 years of experience in this field. It provides its services to more than 650 clients.
- Altibase Hybrid DBMS has both in-memory database features and on-disk database features in a single unified engine.
- Altibase is among the very small subset of relational DBMSs that currently provide scale-out technology, sharding, etc.
- It provides and adheres to strict technical SLAs to guarantee peace of mind and accountability.
- It is relational, ACID and SQL compliant. Thus Altibase can replace or inter-operate with Oracle and other legacy databases.
Verdict: Altibase’s hybrid architecture allows utilization of memory tables for high performance and disk tables for economical storage in a single unified engine. Altibase fits the best for IT, Telecoms, Finance, Manufacturing, Service, etc.
Price: MySQL can be used free of cost. The price for MySQL Enterprise Edition starts at $5000.
Platform: Windows, Linux, and Mac.
Languages: SQL and C, C++, Java, Perl, PHP, Python, and Tcl for client programming.
Cloud Version: Yes
MySQL Enterprise Edition provides advanced features, management tools, and technical support. Continuous monitoring of your database will be done using MySQL Enterprise Monitor and MySQL Query Analyzer. You will be able to add policy-based auditing compliance to your new and existing applications using MySQL Enterprise Audit.
- You will get 24*7 technical support through expertise MySQL Support engineers.
- Routing between your application and any backend MySQL servers will happen through MySQL router. It is lightweight middleware.
- MySQL Enterprise Firewall will provide protection against cybersecurity threats.
- MySQL Enterprise Encryption will give you features like Encryption, Key generation, Digital signature, etc.
Verdict: MySQL Enterprise has many more features like Scalability, High-availability, Backup, Masking & De-identification, etc.
Suggested reading =>> PostgresSQL Vs MySQL
Price: PostgreSQL is a free and open-source tool.
Platform: Windows, Mac, Linux.
Languages: PL/pgSQL, PL/Tcl, PL/Perl, and PL/Python.
Cloud Version: No
PostgreSQL contains several features for the developers to build applications. It has features for administrators to protect data integrity and create fault-tolerant environments. It can work with small as well as big datasets.
- It provides extensibility by allowing you to create your own data types, build custom functions, etc.
- PostgreSQL has various features for Data types, data integrity, performance, data recovery, security, etc.
- Indexing, advanced indexing, and a variety of data types are supported by PostgreSQL.
Verdict: PostgreSQL provides you the facility of full-text search. International character sets are also supported by PostgreSQL.
#4) Maria DB
Price: MariaDB server is a free and open-source DBMS. You can get a quote for the MariaDB platform and its managed service.
Platform: Windows, Linux, and Mac.
Languages: C++, C#, Java, Python, and many others.
Cloud Version: Yes
MariaDB is another popular database server. It is provided by the developers of MySQL. MariaDB is used by Wikipedia, WordPress.com, and Google. It is a fast, scalable, and robust solution. Its newer versions have the features of GIS and JSON.
Managed services can be provided in a public or hybrid cloud. It provides features like Data obfuscation and database firewall.
- It provides good performance through thread pool and query result caching.
- For high availability, it provides the features of Replication, Clustering, and Automatic failover.
- It provides security through an Encrypted connection, Encrypted files/logs, Encrypted buffers, and Dynamic data masking.
- It can perform query result limiting to provide security.
Verdict: MariaDB provides tools such as backup, non-blocking backup, SQLyog, IDERA SQL Diagnostic. MariaDB platform enterprise subscription will provide the enterprise-grade features. MariaDB platform is a reliable solution that will help you with your mission-critical deployments.
Website: Maria DB
Price: MongoDB is available for free. A free trial is available for the cloud-based solution.
Languages: C, C++, C#, Java, Node.js, Perl, Ruby, Scala, PHP, Go, and Erlang.
Cloud Version: Yes
MongoDB is the database for modern applications. It is a document-based, distributed database solution. Mongo DB provides a fully managed service on AWS, Azure, and Google Cloud. It provides full automation by allowing you to scale, provision, and manage the highly available, multi-node, and complex clusters using simple API calls and few clicks.
- MongoDB will allow flexible and dynamic schemas.
- Arrays and nested objects as values are supported.
- There will be no need to concatenate strings for the dynamic generation of SQL queries as queries themselves are JSON.
- All the transactions will be ACID.
- It will allow joins in queries.
Verdict: MongoDB provides many more features like Serverless triggers, Best-in-class security, Monitoring & alerts, Serverless triggers, and Best-in-class security. It allows the creation of globally distributed clusters.
Price: Cassandra is a free and open-source database.
Platform: Windows, Mac.
Cloud Version: No.
Cassandra database will give you a scalable, and highly available solution with performance. It will allow you to choose between synchronous or asynchronous replication. You can make this choice for each update.
- For fault tolerance, it performs automatic replication of data to multiple nodes.
- Cassandra provides linear scalability and consistently outperforms.
- It is used by popular companies like GitHub, GoDaddy, Netflix, etc.
Verdict: Cassandra can manage massive amounts of data at a fast rate.
Price: SQLite is free for commercial as well as individual use.
Languages: C, C++, C#, Elixir, PHP, Perl, etc.
Cloud Version: No
This C-language library works by implementing small, fast, self-contained, full-featured, high-reliability SQL database engine. It is provided on mobile phones, computers, and several other applications. It works by reading and writing directly from ordinary disk files. It supports the cross-platform file format.
- All the transactions are ACID.
- It supports full-text search.
- Terabyte sized databases are also supported by SQLite.
- It supports partial indexes and clustered indexes.
- It allows nested transactions.
Verdict: SQLite is a reliable and well-tested solution. It will allow a table with 32K columns and unlimited rows. You can use tables, indexes, triggers, and views in unlimited quantity. It doesn’t require any setup or administration. There is a limitation on the DB size of 140 TB and a row size of 1 GB.
Price: Cubrid is a free and open-source RDBMS solution.
Platform: Windows and Linux. It provides partial support for OS X.
Languages: Various language specific application programming interfaces are available.
Cloud Version: Yes.
Cubrid can be used for Web applications, Enterprise software, Social networking, and Online games. It is a powerful and stable solution and will give you high performance without any limitations.
- It provides accurate predictable automatic fail-over built-in technology.
- It offers the features of I18N and L10N.
- IANA time zones and UCA collations are supported.
- It provides features like Multi-volume support and Automatic volume expansion.
Verdict: Cubrid will allow you an unlimited number of Databases, Tables, and Indexes. There will be no limitation on the size of databases and tables. It provides high performance that will be optimized for Web Services.
Considering the features provided by the DBMS, the popularity of the tool, and the pricing plans, we can say that Altibase is our top recommended solution. Altibase is a rich in features platform and has experience of working in various industries.
MySQL and PostgreSQL are the best free relational databases. MongoDB is the best free document database. MariaDB can provide services like Remote DBA and Enterprise Architect.
All of the above Enterprise-Grade Open-Source DBMS are popular tools. They are rich in features & functionalities. These platforms are beneficial for small to large businesses. As these are open source solutions, they are available at a free of cost or they charge some cost for the additional services or features.
I hope these reviews and comparisons of enterprise-grade open source DBMS will help you in finding the right solution for your businesses.
Review Process: Our writers have spent 18 hours in researching for this article. Initially, we have selected 12 tools but later filtered out the list to the top 8 tools for your convenience.