A Complete Overview of Jira Download, Installation and Setup:
We will go through the installation procedure of Jira software with a step-by-step guide for Jira download, installation and license setup.
Topics covered in this article:
- Jira Software download and Installation
- How to invoke Jira for actual use?
Using windows installer, which is the simplest way, one can easily set up Jira in the working environment using an external database.
Check for the following requirements before installing any other software:
- Is the operating system used supporting Jira installation?
- Is Jira license procured?
- The database is set up and ready for use?
- Is Jira to be run as a windows service?
- JDK/JRE version is the latest?
Note: Last 2 requirements are for the client side (i.e. for the end users).
Steps to Download and Install Jira Software
#1) Download ‘Atlassian-Jira-Software’ corresponding to your windows operating system environment.
Select the OS environment type and click the ‘Download’ button. The download page will look as shown below:
#2) Navigate to the folder on the machine in which the installation exe is downloaded. Run the installer exe, preferably as administrator (right click on the exe and choose ‘Run as administrator’ option).
a) The installation wizard will start as shown in below image:
b) Select the appropriate radio button for the type of installation, as shown in the following image and then click the ‘Next’ button.
c) Configure the ports that will be used by Jira software as shown in the below image (ports on an individual machine can differ – they might not be exactly the same as shown in the below picture)
d) Next page will show the summary of choices done. (refer the below image)
e) Click on the ‘Install’ button.
This will start the installation process (copying of files etc.). At the end of the installation, it will show the page as shown in the image below.
f) Observe ‘Start Jira 7.12.3 now’ checkbox. If this checkbox is checked, then after installation Jira will be started automatically. Click on ‘Next’ button.
g) Click on ‘Finish’ button.
- Now launch Jira in a web browser.
- Create/Sign-up for Jira account. Once you log in, you need to enter the type of license.
Setting up Jira License
- Select the type of license and your organization name. (Refer the following image)
- Click on ‘Generate License’ button. Jira will display a confirmation popup (refer the below image). Click on ‘Yes’ on the confirmation popup. This will display the ‘Administrator account setup’ page.
- An administrative account needs to be set up as shown in the below page. Enter the mandatory details and click on the ‘Next’ button.
- Jira will automatically finish the setup as shown in the below image.
Once Jira setup is finished, the Jira server starts running, and the end user can launch Jira client instance using a web browser. (Refer the below image)
URL could be like: http://localhost:8084/secure/WelcomeToJIRA.jspa
Note: In large organizations, Jira server is set up in one place. Maybe in different geographical location and client, the URL will be created accordingly to use for a large number of users.
In this tutorial, we learned how Jira software can be installed and used by individuals.
In our upcoming tutorial, we will learn how to use Jira as a bug tracking tool.